Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Gilok posted:

I know this question comes up fairly often, but it's been a while since I played so I'm asking again. What do you consider important to start with when you're Preparing Carefully? What skills are essential to a successful fortress? What supplies do you absolutely need? Especially, what do you need now that you didn't need in older versions?

Don't take a training axe, swap it out for a copper axe. Wooden axes can't cut trees down anymore.

You should bring a doctor - not because you're likely to need them right off, but because they're rare and really difficult to train, and when you do need a doctor, you really don't want an untrained idiot holding the scalpel.

Bring egg-laying animals of some kind, eggs are a super good source of food.

Beyond that, it's mostly down to where you're going and what resources you'll have available. I like to bring along a doctor, a broker/manager/leader type guy who also has architect skills, two miners, a mason/engraver/stonecrafter, a woodcutter/carpenter/bowyer, and an herbalist/cook/brewer as my starting crew. Sometimes I'll instead give the miners novice masonry skills and replace the mason with a mechanic or a metalsmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

One of my leatherworkers has a fey mood and wants tanned hides and logs but he is just sitting in his workshop yelling. I gave him two pieces of leather and I don't have any more animals to slaughter, does he still want more? How do I know how much he wants? There's plenty of logs so that's not the problem.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If he says he wants it and he's just sitting in the workshop, he doesn't have access to it. This could be because you don't have the right item as well. He does pick up items in a specific order. If he doesn't have access to logs but wants those first, he won't pick up the hides even if you have them available.

What exactly is he asking for and what do you have?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

He's screaming that he must have tanned hides and logs. I slaughtered the two random pack animals you get from embark and he took both of their leather after someone else tanned them. I've got dozens of logs and he's not locked behind a door or anything. I've set up a wood stockpile in view and he doesn't grab them.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
he's probably just stuck on wanting more hides. you can sometimes infer based on how long the message shows up for but otherwise, RIP

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
The DFHack command "showmood" should tell you what's missing.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks. Looks he wants three leather and one log, hopefully the caravan gets here soon.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Toady One posted:

Today is the 10th anniversary of the first release of Dwarf Fortress! Apparently it was time for us to get a taste of what we've been dishing out, as we've been showered with crayon drawings through the mail. Thanks to everybody that has played the game, enjoyed the stories and supported Bay 12 through the years. On to the next decade!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I installed the latest LNP and am using therapist but everyone keeps planting crops instead of just my Grower. I don't remember having any issues with this before. Is there any way to flag the field so the Grower is the only one who can use it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

e: wait no what am I reading, they're planting? that's pretty strange actually

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is great.

"Rain kills everything it lands on" df.txt

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Decrepus posted:

I installed the latest LNP and am using therapist but everyone keeps planting crops instead of just my Grower. I don't remember having any issues with this before. Is there any way to flag the field so the Grower is the only one who can use it?

No autolabor on?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Spanish Matlock posted:

No autolabor on?

Oh, I must have clicked that on accidentally. After looking for it I found it was turned on and I haven't seen anyone doing it since I turned it off. Thanks.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

Apparently they're too small for that, but ducks do make a shitload of eggs, second only to turkeys. On the other hand, turkeys are also big enough to provide meat, so why the hell are you bringing ducks instead?

I like to bring chickens and sheep. Sheep are the total package. They can make yarn, cheese, meat, bones, leather, and more sheep.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

I like to bring chickens and sheep. Sheep are the total package. They can make yarn, cheese, meat, bones, leather, and more sheep.

I prefer pigs, since they don't have to graze. You lose out on yarn but how often do you need yarn except for strange moods?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cragtooth boars are the raddest animal, it's too bad they're mod-only. They don't graze, are woolly, and shed ivory as part of the shearing process along with yarn.

Shaggy badgerdogs are a close second.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh man. So I started playing this again and I've just been learning the ropes and taking things very easy/slow. Which is why the entrance to my fortress was just a staircase into the ground and I had zero defenses or military set up like a year into the game. A bunch of people got mauled by a were-weasel that showed up and then mauled further by subsequent turned-were-weasels. In fact that's probably going to keep happening since I saved in the middle and haven't continued playing yet.

Surprisingly my fort is still going and I used that time to build a big room with like 60 coffins to store all the dead dwarves. If nothing else I have a hospital now and I'll be looking into drafting some military or something next time I play. Other than that I still want to check out libraries and temples. I built a tavern and it's pretty cool seeing random visitors show up. :3:

I also looked into the legends browser and that's a fun thing on its own. A dead elven civilization was originally lead by a brilliant military strategist (her name was Laci Browntundras the Strategic Vision of Confederacy which is why I checked her out) - for the first 30 years or so she led a dozen assaults against a dwarven civilization, coming out victorious each time. The tides turned as goblins started besieging the elves and they kept losing every battle until she and every other elf with her got slaughtered by trolls in The Conflict of Violence. The princess who succeeded her was a great astronomer who had advanced the field quite a bit, but she met her end to goblins as well within the month.

Meanwhile another elf civilization has had like 30 rulers in as many years, including the elf vampire named Fecici Fragranceballs. Interestingly enough she was wounded by a goblin vampire and was then captured by humans in a battle. Perhaps because she hated her captivity she profaned a chapel and was cursed with vampirism herself. About six years after this she became queen (god knows why) and 24 years later finally aroused suspicion and fled to a different forest retreat. At this point it seems she decided to become a poet and moved to a hamlet to apprentice under some human. Since then she's traveled to a bunch of different fortresses and penned a lot of random poems. I guess that's one way to spend eternity.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'll be honest other than a single time where I was trying to set up the industry for shits and giggles I never bother with thread/yarn/whatever.

I just trade sweet sweet worked metal for all the booze and cloth I can handle.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

reignofevil posted:

I'll be honest other than a single time where I was trying to set up the industry for shits and giggles I never bother with thread/yarn/whatever.

I just trade sweet sweet worked metal for all the booze and cloth I can handle.

The textile industry is quite profitable with some skilled workers at the reigns and the entire supply chain set up. Quite useful for more difficult embarks without bountiful iron or precious metal deposits. Once it's running, your dwarves also get a nice consistent happiness boost from wearing fine clothing vs wearing the scraps collected from dead goblins that most fortresses line their wardrobe's with.

Is there a nice tutorial out there for the new management order menu stuff? If it let me write some simple If-->Than loops I'd be set, but I can't seem to get it to do what I want.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This is supposed to be a good guide for the new work orders, I haven't used it yet because my old 42.06 fort is still chugging along: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/4phhlo/wipguide_the_new_manager_work_order_conditions/

One of these days we'll not be invaded long enough to actually invade hell, but not yet.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a save using the 42.06 starter pack r04; is it worth updating to current? what has changed since then?

Addamere fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 10, 2016

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Maarak posted:

The textile industry is quite profitable with some skilled workers at the reigns and the entire supply chain set up. Quite useful for more difficult embarks without bountiful iron or precious metal deposits. Once it's running, your dwarves also get a nice consistent happiness boost from wearing fine clothing vs wearing the scraps collected from dead goblins that most fortresses line their wardrobe's with.

Is there a nice tutorial out there for the new management order menu stuff? If it let me write some simple If-->Than loops I'd be set, but I can't seem to get it to do what I want.

I agree about the textile industry, but using plants not animals. Besides the additional lag from extra creatures running around, the cancellation spam is way too annoying to make yarn/milk/cheese worth making. The "shear/milk animal" jobs really need to change so that they just check if there's an animal ready from time to time without cancelling the job or generating a message. I have it kind of working that way now with work orders set to repeat seasonally, but it still generates annoying spam and probably isn't working at anywhere near max efficiency.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jazerus posted:

Cragtooth boars are the raddest animal, it's too bad they're mod-only. They don't graze, are woolly, and shed ivory as part of the shearing process along with yarn.

Shaggy badgerdogs are a close second.

I'm a big fan of the dewbeetles myself.

I really hope we can do underground embarks someday. :sigh: I can be a clan of underground beetle farmer dwarves, but having to dig down from the surface is just not the same. (I suppose I could embark on a cave?)

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Rain kills everything it lands on" df.txt

What are your guesses on this one? I'm putting my money on: each droplet actually hits what it falls on but the impact force formula defaulted to a 1 m³ volume, making each drop weigh a ton.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think it was actually bad temperature calculations causing rain in hot biomes to scald people to death.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Guinea Foul or Turkeys are better than chickens for clutch size + meat given from butchering adults, also I think time to mature? At least guinea fowl.

Nietzschean posted:

I have a save using the 42.06 starter pack r04; is it worth updating to current? what has changed since then?

You can specify job materials without dfhack, and specific images for engravings.

Work order management got a complete overhaul, too: conditions on number of regeants available, or number of product available.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Esme posted:

I agree about the textile industry, but using plants not animals. Besides the additional lag from extra creatures running around, the cancellation spam is way too annoying to make yarn/milk/cheese worth making. The "shear/milk animal" jobs really need to change so that they just check if there's an animal ready from time to time without cancelling the job or generating a message. I have it kind of working that way now with work orders set to repeat seasonally, but it still generates annoying spam and probably isn't working at anywhere near max efficiency.

Yeah, you're right there. Pigtails cloth is less work, and the final product is more valuable than yarn. Plus pigtails can be used for paper or booze.

Cheese is great for making valuable meals, but buying barrels of milk from the caravan is cheap and easy.

The other value of livestock is an emergency supply of leather and bones for strange moods, but I guess turkeys are just as good for that as sheep. With the bonus that you can lock babies in a cage and forget about them until you need them.

Now that I think about it, I guess ranching is joining honey production in the cool but not worth the effort category. :(

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, you're right there. Pigtails cloth is less work, and the final product is more valuable than yarn. Plus pigtails can be used for paper or booze.

Cheese is great for making valuable meals, but buying barrels of milk from the caravan is cheap and easy.

The other value of livestock is an emergency supply of leather and bones for strange moods, but I guess turkeys are just as good for that as sheep. With the bonus that you can lock babies in a cage and forget about them until you need them.

Now that I think about it, I guess ranching is joining honey production in the cool but not worth the effort category. :(

This has been my stance forever. Bring like 1 male and 3 female each of cat, dog, and turkey, and that's all the animals you need unless you want to breed exotic things like war elephants.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

I think it was actually bad temperature calculations causing rain in hot biomes to scald people to death.

Wasn't it the fat layers of dwarfs were considered tallow and the rain washed the dwarves away?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

grancheater posted:

What are your guesses on this one? I'm putting my money on: each droplet actually hits what it falls on but the impact force formula defaulted to a 1 m³ volume, making each drop weigh a ton.

PublicOpinion posted:

Helical Nightmares posted:

Wasn't it the fat layers of dwarfs were considered tallow and the rain washed the dwarves away?

I love how every one of these explanations is equally possible and equally insane.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is terrifying.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nietzschean posted:

This has been my stance forever. Bring like 1 male and 3 female each of cat, dog, and turkey, and that's all the animals you need unless you want to breed exotic things like war elephants.

Alpacas are pretty good too, since you can milk, shear, and butcher them gainfully. Their grazing area is also notably smaller than other cattle.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I like turkeys and pigs until I can get some cave crocs and whatever fun things I catch in the caverns or the elves bring. All grazers will just get killed by the first invasion if I don't head for the caverns right away, but after setup I like alpacas as well, love rutherers. I tried taming keas and falcons to see if they'd help against keas stealing stuff, but the Falcons just all hang in the same tree and scratch each other to death while the keas do nothing and the wild keas steal and get shot by my ranged squad. I wish wolves and giant bats were war trainable, I'll probably mod them that way next fortress.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nietzschean posted:

Animals can be gay or asexual now plus if you're using war dogs for protection duty there's always a risk of them dying. I usually go 2 and 2.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yes. Bring extras in case your dogs are gay.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a point I had not considered; still, the point remains relevant that all you need is one type of poultry bird for spamming eggs, feathers, etc., cats for vermin removal, and dogs for everything birds don't provide. Except wool, I guess? Maybe swap dogs for alpacas.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm with the dogs+turkeys+sheep people. Usually a cat or two will wander in during a migration wave and that's enough to keep the vermin population down. I know you can geld them to prevent catsplosions but old habits die hard.

I haven't spun up a proper clothing industry in my latest fort but I've been shearing and milking the sheep whenever I realize it's been a while. As has been said, wool isn't really very efficient, but it's a fairly low-effort way of making sure you've got yarn on hand for moods and you can always turn any excess production into bags or whatever.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Dogs all the way. I bring like six female dogs and one-two males with no other animals. After the first generation of puppies grows up, I start to cull mercilessly, gelding the subpar males and assigning them to the military as meatshields, and butchering the weaker females. My larders overflow with dog meat, the citizenry is clothed in dog leather, hospitals are stocked with dog soap, and the inner fortress is defended by a horde of the strongest, angriest bitches from each whelping.

Also bring a male cat to guard the food stockpile.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Esme posted:

Dogs all the way. I bring like six female dogs and one-two males with no other animals. After the first generation of puppies grows up, I start to cull mercilessly, gelding the subpar males and assigning them to the military as meatshields, and butchering the weaker females. My larders overflow with dog meat, the citizenry is clothed in dog leather, hospitals are stocked with dog soap, and the inner fortress is defended by a horde of the strongest, angriest bitches from each whelping.

Also bring a male cat to guard the food stockpile.

Does dog eugenics really lead to stronger dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Does dog eugenics really lead to stronger dogs?

don't ruin this for me