Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah but this has already been done with the Nvidia Shield and it's not selling like wildfire, I'd think that having the name "Nintendo" on it would help it but that did gently caress-all for the Wii U.

Seems like it's just an old-rear end Japanese company owned by old-rear end Japanese dudes.

Nintendo put out a 250 dollar machine that outputs at 240p and had a barely functional 3D Gimmick attached, it has sold around 60 million units and keeps consistently being the top-selling console in Japan. A slightly souped up Nvidia Shield with the Nintendo name sounds like a good direction for the handheld side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Germstore posted:

I'm kind of okay with Wii U being a dedicated MK8 machine. I like MK8 a lot.

I mean MK8 is a good game so that's a valid opinion

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I am optimistic about the future of the NX, but I feel like people were also mostly enthusiastic about the wii u when it was announced so who knows how it'll actually turn out. this is my opinion, please source me when using as a quote on kotaku dot com.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so would you guys say that nintendo is doomed?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the nx will be extremely good but also sell like piss. nintendo will be reduced to exclusively mobile gaming and producing exclusives for the ouya

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey say what you will about the ouya, but there last who made it is now the nominee for the Green party.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Raserys posted:

I am optimistic about the future of the NX, but I feel like people were also mostly enthusiastic about the wii u when it was announced so who knows how it'll actually turn out. this is my opinion, please source me when using as a quote on kotaku dot com.

With Nintendo it all comes down to games. Wii U didn't have games and never really got games so it failed. 3DS didn't have games eventually got games so it wasn't a colossal failure

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Truthfully all it has to be is the next iteration of a semi-portable that's easy to port poo poo to/can play an extensive SNES/GBA/DS virtual library and Nintendo is set for another cycle.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Raserys posted:

the nx will be extremely good but also sell like piss. nintendo will be reduced to exclusively mobile gaming and producing exclusives for the ouya

They could also probably make new games with existing IPs instead of remakes. The only two Zelda games available on the Wii U almost four years into the system's life are GameCube remakes. We have a whopping one Mario platformer (excluding Super Mario Maker because it's more of a toolkit than a game with anything resembling a story) on the system. The only Pokemon game I'm aware of is the fighting game, whose void was already filled by Super Smash Bros. Zero Metroid games. Pikmin and Star Fox are the only two other IPs that got full game releases. Nintendo systems used to be worth it for all of the first-party games and some third-party, but they now have few first-party and pretty much no third-party companies to work with. All of that is excluding the laughably bad selection of Virtual Console titles they have been slowly leaking for more than a decade.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

Hey say what you will about the ouya, but there last who made it is now the nominee for the Green party.

what?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

This got picked up by the Dreamcast, which failed, and the XBox, which only used them for memory cards that it didn't need because it had a hard drive.
Ever seen a wiimote? You know, one of if not the best selling controller of all time?

quote:

The DualShock came out within months of the RumblePak and didn't require you to have this dumb thing hanging off your controller. If we're ignoring the actual force feedback happening on the PC at the time, I think DualShock pretty clearly gets credit for rumble as we know it.
Again, not claiming it wasn't quickly improved upon.

quote:

"Nintendo made an early, terrible version of a thing that caught on later when someone else got it right." Before today I never even connected the existence of the right analog stick to the C-button nonsense Nintendo inflicted on the N64.
Really? No connection? even though the GCN controller has a stick with the same color and letter designation in roughly the same place? Also, did you actually use the N64 controller?

"I'm dumb" doesn't really support your argument.

quote:

Like the gamepad-mounted expansion slots, another "innovation" that the world took one look at and said "nah."
that's why the nunchuck and various ZL buttons exist I guess.

quote:

Yes, congratulations Nintendo, you got one thing right on the N64 pad. You put it in the absolutely obviously wrong place on the controller, but there's a stick there so good job.

It's not like you use the stick and the dpad at the same time on any other controller other than the dpad being mapped as just another button (mash 'up' to taunt, etc)

It's been improved upon in almost every way, but it was comfortable, innovative, and fun and good for its time. There have been far worse controllers both before and since. Also, lol@ dual shock's terrible terrible split dpad

edit: fixed bbcode

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jill Stein, she invented the ouya.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Trent posted:

Ever seen a wiimote? You know, one of if not the best selling controller of all time?

Again, not claiming it wasn't quickly improved upon.

Really? No connection? even though the GCN controller has a stick with the same color and letter designation in roughly the same place? Also, did you actually use the N64 controller?

"I'm dumb" doesn't really support your argument.

that's why the nunchuck and various ZL buttons exist I guess.

It's not like you use the stick and the dpad at the same time on any other controller other than the dpad being mapped as just another button (mash 'up' to taunt, etc)

It's been improved upon in almost every way, but it was comfortable, innovative, and fun and good for its time. There have been far worse controllers both before and since. Also, lol@ dual shock's terrible terrible split dpad

edit: fixed bbcode

I see a whole bunch of examples, intended to prove how influential the N64 pad was, that all came from Nintendo. That doesn't really work. It's like saying BMW motorcycles having asymmetric headlights was "influential" because a new BMW S2000RR has asymmetric headlights. A lot of the connections you draw are pretty tenuous, too. I'm really not seeing much of a connection between the RumblePak hole on the N64 pad and the nunchuk plug on the Wiimote. The Gamecube colored its right stick the same as the C-buttons on the N64, yea, but if you look at that gamepad and see anything other than the result of a memo saying "we need a DualShock II but, you know, with deniability. Make the colors like the N64!" you're being dense.

Also, I know the truly koolaid-drinking Nintendo fanboys love to think the Wii sold more than every console ever, but Sony moved more PS2s than Wiis and WiiUs combined.

Congratulations on proving yourself right about the "I'll never stop defending the N64 pad" bit, though.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 10, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I've seen a lot of really dumb internet forum fights in my day but hoo boy this one is ranking pretty high

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
N64 controller is definitely the best controller for playing Nintendo 64 games

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

greatn posted:

N64 controller is definitely the best controller for playing Nintendo 64 games

Don't forget this bad boy

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

greatn posted:

Jill Stein, she invented the ouya.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah so like...I love Nintendo to death and they are part of the design for my first tattoo but let's not act like they are godly. The n64 was a dumb bad controller, the wii u was really stupid even though some games were cool it was overall very poor and clearly showed that Nintendo had no idea what hey wanted with the tablet.

*off tv play is great!*
*for some games*
*not the good ones sorry changed our mind*

It was v bad and I hope the NX is marketed and planned for much better

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The N64 controller was a really important milestone in the development of controllers and while it had obvious and glaring flaws, it singlehandedly brought back analog, and the dual shock probably would not have existed without it, so there's no reason to have a ridiculous fanboy fight about this

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Green Party is the Ouya of American politics.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Yeah so like...I love Nintendo to death and they are part of the design for my first tattoo but let's not act like they are godly. The n64 was a dumb bad controller, the wii u was really stupid even though some games were cool it was overall very poor and clearly showed that Nintendo had no idea what hey wanted with the tablet.

*off tv play is great!*
*for some games*
*not the good ones sorry changed our mind*

It was v bad and I hope the NX is marketed and planned for much better

the tablet was bulky and heavy and has an unresponsible touch interface but i hope we dont lose the gyro
splatoon has been goty 2 years running

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

oblomov posted:

Nvidia shield doesn't have Nintendo and major Japanese publishers making exclusive games for it.

Neither does the Wii U, hahaha. Not so sure if the NX will follow the 3DS or Wii U in this regard.

The 3DS is only alive because Monster Hunter eventually came to it, it was tanking at release.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Boten Anna posted:

The N64 controller was a really important milestone in the development of controllers and while it had obvious and glaring flaws, it singlehandedly brought back analog, and the dual shock probably would not have existed without it, so there's no reason to have a ridiculous fanboy fight about this

The joysticks that pre-NES consoles used were digital, just fyi. The PC flight sticks that existed at the time were analog. The real innovation was taking an analog controller mechanism like in the full size flight sticks and shrinking it down to the size of the modern thumbstick.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BillmasterCozb posted:

so would you guys say that nintendo is doomed?

No, but I would say that if the NX doesn't ball out of control then they will shift strategies. Probably towards the one that pulled in $200m in a month.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

The joysticks that pre-NES consoles used were digital, just fyi. The PC flight sticks that existed at the time were analog. The real innovation was taking an analog controller mechanism like in the full size flight sticks and shrinking it down to the size of the modern thumbstick.

Yeah also analog was kind of a niche thing or used on very basic devices, like the dials for Pong consoles and stuff. Digital controls were very much in vogue at the time, but Nintendo smartly realized that roaming a 3D area with a digital pad is probably going to be awkward.

I mean they tried that once and we all know how that turned out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Let us not forget

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah also analog was kind of a niche thing or used on very basic devices, like the dials for Pong consoles and stuff. Digital controls were very much in vogue at the time, but Nintendo smartly realized that roaming a 3D area with a digital pad is probably going to be awkward.

I mean they tried that once and we all know how that turned out.

Well none of those games were about roaming a 3d area. Man I wish Wario Land, Teleroboxer, Mario Clash, and Jack Bros were available on 3ds.

I think what some of the naysayers in the last couple pages don't get is that the NX is the new 3DS. The 3DS lived off of Monster Hunter, Squenix, and Nintendo, well the NX is going to have all of that except it's going to have far more Nintendo support than either 3ds or WiiU because development isn't split over two systems. Monster Hunter 5 will probably be out the first year, as will a Zelda and probably a Mario, probably Dragon Quest, and a couple other rumored things which I'm not going to list cause I don't find them particularly credible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

No, but I would say that if the NX doesn't ball out of control then they will shift strategies. Probably towards the one that pulled in $200m in a month.

They got very little of that money though, and whether they can replicate it is doubtful. We'll have to see how animal crossing and fire emblem do.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

greatn posted:

Well none of those games were about roaming a 3d area. Man I wish Wario Land, Teleroboxer, Mario Clash, and Jack Bros were available on 3ds.

I think what some of the naysayers in the last couple pages don't get is that the NX is the new 3DS. The 3DS lived off of Monster Hunter, Squenix, and Nintendo, well the NX is going to have all of that except it's going to have far more Nintendo support than either 3ds or WiiU because development isn't split over two systems. Monster Hunter 5 will probably be out the first year, as will a Zelda and probably a Mario, probably Dragon Quest, and a couple other rumored things which I'm not going to list cause I don't find them particularly credible.

The NX is honestly the first Nintendo console I've been interested in in a very long time. They finally figured out that the best way to not get constantly compared to Sony and Microsoft is to make a console that doesn't constantly invite that comparison and try to make up the difference with a dumb gimmick.

That is, of course, assuming the rumors about it being a cartridge-based portable capable of WiiU-esque graphics that has the ability to hook up to a TV are true.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Neither does the Wii U, hahaha. Not so sure if the NX will follow the 3DS or Wii U in this regard.

The 3DS is only alive because Monster Hunter eventually came to it, it was tanking at release.

Uhhh monhun is a phenomenal series but idk about singlehandedly saving a console

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Yeah I'd say that the price cut, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 played a huge part in saving the 3DS after its wet fart of a launch

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
GameCube, GBA, and Wii had basically the best Nintendo launch lineups of all time, while 3DS and WiiU had the worst. It's encouraging that Kimishima has said they delayed unveiling and launch specifically to make sure that they have a good launch and continued software support throughout the year.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kimishima is a businessman first and foremost. For better or worse, he doesn't have the same view of gaming as Iwata had

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah I'd say that the price cut, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 played a huge part in saving the 3DS after its wet fart of a launch

I think the XL helped it a lot too.

The original hardware was real

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Trent posted:

The screen is useless in many games doesn't matter, it's not like it's punching you in the dick when you aren't using it, it's just like another unneeded button or something.

:psyduck:

It literally makes the controller larger than a Xbox1 controller, increases the cost of the SKU by a lot, is required to run the console and is irreplaceable if you break it, and means you have to charge it every 14 minutes.

The tablet gimmick is a really big drag on the WiiU. I would probably have one if it wasn't for the tablet. (And if you could use GCN controllers in games other than Sm4sh.)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 10, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the gamepad owns for playing games in bed, the NX will be even better

also the Wii remote + nunchuck is the greatest video game controller, fight me. FIGHT ME

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the gamepad probably should have been a $100 peripheral for off screen play that i still would have bought cause it rocks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

the gamepad owns for playing games in bed

put the tv in your room

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

put the tv in your room
and sit up in bed?? wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU