Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Dillinger Escape Plan album will be their last.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-end-of-dillinger-escape-plan-ben-weinman-interview?utm_source=noiseyfbenglish

I did not realize that Ben Weinman is 40, but I guess that makes sense when you think about how long they've been around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p4tQUBtsBw

fucccckkkkkk

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

New Hellions is some next-level poo poo, quickly shooting into my all-time favorites list. I'll be very surprised if anything tops this for me this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pNkBKAxzHs

wow yeah this is really good

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Henchman of Santa posted:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-end-of-dillinger-escape-plan-ben-weinman-interview?utm_source=noiseyfbenglish

I did not realize that Ben Weinman is 40, but I guess that makes sense when you think about how long they've been around.

This made me legit sad. Their albums and concerts, is one of the few things left in adult life, that made me excited like a kid at Christmas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Woodenlung posted:

This made me legit sad. Their albums and concerts, is one of the few things left in adult life, that made me excited like a kid at Christmas.

I'm hoping to finally cross them off the live bucket list at Riot Fest

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

I'm hoping to finally cross them off the live bucket list at Riot Fest

I've only seen them once, a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95NFsb5A7So

A much younger me, right there in front at like the 50 second mark, pushing some guy off me.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

xZAOx posted:

I've only seen them once, a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95NFsb5A7So

A much younger me, right there in front at like the 50 second mark, pushing some guy off me.

Haha that's great, wasn't that when they delayed all of furnace fest for hours, because of that powder fire extinguisher?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
The first two times I saw DEP were at Krazyfests 3 & 4 here in beautiful Louisville, KY. At KF4 they headlined the Saturday bill with Coalesce's Sean "Sean-o-tronic" Ingram fronting the entire set while Dimitri recovered from the flu. It was glorious.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

New Hellions is some next-level poo poo, quickly shooting into my all-time favorites list. I'll be very surprised if anything tops this for me this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pNkBKAxzHs

I meant to say something about this album a couple days ago. It's solid as gently caress, as is every Hellions release, but I can't help but feel like all of their tunes just sound too much alike.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Woodenlung posted:

Haha that's great, wasn't that when they delayed all of furnace fest for hours, because of that powder fire extinguisher?

I don't remember that - doesn't mean it didn't happen. I remember it being Underoath's last show with one of their original guitarists (or maybe they were just talking about it being his last tour). That was when they had the original singer. And I think the singer of Norma Jean announced he was leaving the band. And BTBAM was on the freaking side-stage (that bands had to pay to play on) - the crowd was just on the grass for it. An instant dust cloud covered the entire crowd the second he hit the "let's kill them all" part of Shevanel Cut A Flip.

I remember feeling awkward when I went to get some food, and was was in McDonald's packed with black people and I was the only white kid. I thought "huh, I guess this is a small taste of what it feels like to be a minority". Then the lady taking my order called "slim shady".

We ran into some girls from California and went to lunch together. Since I'm from Tennessee, they asked me "So do you like...have roads and stuff?"

That's about all my memories (besides some band performances heh). I have terrible memories.

Beelzebozo posted:

The first two times I saw DEP were at Krazyfests 3 & 4 here in beautiful Louisville, KY. At KF4 they headlined the Saturday bill with Coalesce's Sean "Sean-o-tronic" Ingram fronting the entire set while Dimitri recovered from the flu. It was glorious.

Being in TN, I should have went to a lot more Krazyfests. I only went to one, because Zao was playing there (hence my terrible username).

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

xZAOx posted:

Being in TN, I should have went to a lot more Krazyfests. I only went to one, because Zao was playing there (hence my terrible username).

That was the best year. I went to all of them (I live here), and looking back if I could only go to one it would've been that one. Sean Ingram-fronted Dillinger set aside, the rest of that water tower year was a mess and the venue didn't work out great. But those Belvedere years were rad, and the one with Zao had the strongest overall lineup (for its day, anyway).

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I saw DEP only once I'm pretty sure. They headlined at BB Kings in NYC. I may have seen them at Warped Tour or something similar, but I don't really remember.

The lineup was DEP, Every Time I Die, Zao, and Misery Signals. This was back in 2004. I missed Zao and was pissed. ETID and Mis Sig killed it, but the BB Kings staff was adamant about "no moshing." When DEP came on, I didn't really know many of their songs, but when they played 43% Burnt (in the middle of their set) I just stomped around swinging my fists at spazz's. See my custom title if you need any justification.

Bummed they're breaking up, but they haven't even been good in a long time. Calculating Infinity is the only thing I enjoy from them.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

XIII posted:

I meant to say something about this album a couple days ago. It's solid as gently caress, as is every Hellions release, but I can't help but feel like all of their tunes just sound too much alike.

I dunno, I could see that to an extent with Indian Summer, but I don't get that at all on Opera Oblivia. Every track is an absolute banger in its own way and the album's all over the place stylistically. Like, Bad Way (the last track I posted) sounds like The Mars Volta or RHCP made a hardcore track, where this is closer to La Dispute or Defeater brand melodic hardcore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVOK-Oml86g

...and this is basically a mid-2000s alt-rock/emo track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_okH6fSVPE

...and the lead single is all over the place on its own, with traditional hardcore verses leading into that massive chorus and the perfect interlude toward the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRQtf6fxoQ

gently caress, I love this album. I could make a case for every track being the best. That huge singalong on 24, that post-chorus breakdown in Nightliner Rhapsody, the whole album is pretty much perfect.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When i saw TDEP, BTBAM (wow acronym city) supported. They played all of Colours in order then Mordecai. TDEP stopped for a pizza break mid set and made fun of Gil for being vegetarian.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seen them live a few times, always blew me away. The guy who said their tour and album cycles were like hristmas had it dead on. I was gearing up, getting into their albums again in anticipation of the new stuff when I read they're splitting. Gutted. I'm also gutted I'll not get to see them again, until their innevitable reunion. The new song is unreal, hopefully the album is just as good. Now I have a gap to fill, who sounds most like DEP? I've got a list here including Meshuggah, Coalesce, Botch, Norma Jean, Converge, Rolo Tomassi... none of them quite reach DEP's levels. Is there anyone out there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Seen them live a few times, always blew me away. The guy who said their tour and album cycles were like hristmas had it dead on. I was gearing up, getting into their albums again in anticipation of the new stuff when I read they're splitting. Gutted. I'm also gutted I'll not get to see them again, until their innevitable reunion. The new song is unreal, hopefully the album is just as good. Now I have a gap to fill, who sounds most like DEP? I've got a list here including Meshuggah, Coalesce, Botch, Norma Jean, Converge, Rolo Tomassi... none of them quite reach DEP's levels. Is there anyone out there?

Well Botch broke up a decade and a half ago so they wouldn't really fill a gap anyway...

Palm Reader are not as crazy technical but they clearly have a heavy Dillinger influence.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Speaking of Dillinger shows, forums user Kaboobi just posted this photo from the one in Boston last night. :haw:

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/762496342165827584

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

I haven't been 100% sold on every Dillinger album, but honestly they're so uniquely DEP that I've never heard anyone that even comes close to matching their sound. There are plenty of bands who are influenced by them but none that manage their style. I think it's that they have such a huge range of influences that nobody really tries to lift their sound wholesale because it would be such a blatant ripoff. Instead we get [prog core band x] taking Dillinger's quirky Mr. Bungle influences and running with them, while [mathcore band y] takes the polyrhythmic chaos and [technical hardcore band z] takes the destructive breakdowns and live show insanity. All three of them have clear Dillinger influences in one form or another, but none of them really sound like Dillinger.

Related, goddamn Option Paralysis was a good album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3PlpadymI

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

I have seen DEP 11 times and I'll be goddamned if I don't make it 12 (or maybe 13, if they play 9:30 and Ottobar or some other DC/Bmore combo) before they stop. Bring on the farewell tour dates motherfuckers

ICHIBAHN posted:

There should be one more long (like, Weinman said on FB that the Toronto show a few nights ago was the beginning of "another ~200 shows") tour after the album comes out if I'm not mistaken. You may have another chance!

Also The Armed is another band pretty close to DEP's style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bCSrENlCOk

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 8, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You're a beautiful person. By the way, listening again to Miss Machine and Ire Works currently. What amazing albums they are. Really. So much complexity, originality, rhythm and depth. The obvious singles really stand out unfortunately.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Holy poo poo Soilwork and Unearth are touring together this fall :getin:

I'll definitely be at that NYC show.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so pissed they're not coming to Florida loving gently caress gently caress

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Holy poo poo Soilwork and Unearth are touring together this fall :getin:

I'll definitely be at that NYC show.

Unearth have been my favorite metalcore band for about the past 13 years, but I'm really ready for them to release another album so I can resume seeing them without having to hear a bunch of Watchers of Rule songs. I've tried so many times to make myself like that thing, but it just ain't happening. Maybe the most disappointed I've ever been in a release. :smith:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Beelzebozo posted:

Unearth have been my favorite metalcore band for about the past 13 years, but I'm really ready for them to release another album so I can resume seeing them without having to hear a bunch of Watchers of Rule songs. I've tried so many times to make myself like that thing, but it just ain't happening. Maybe the most disappointed I've ever been in a release. :smith:

Bro Watchers of Rule loving owns, it's like the spiritual successor to Eyes of Fire.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
You guys need to stop stressing about DEP breaking up - Greg certainly isn't: http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/08/08/dillinger-escape-plans-greg-puciato-no-one-band-dumb-enough-say-somethings-ever-really-done/

quote:

We’re about to announce our breakup, and I’m not even thinking about it. The only thing I care about is that the record is being announced and the release date is being announced and we’re finally going to have the loving first song off the record for people to listen to properly, instead of a radio stream. I’m not thinking about a breakup that’s not going to initiate until hundreds of shows from now. And definitely, creatively, I don’t know what the gently caress I’m gonna be thinking two years from now when we finally play our last show.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

I am utterly perplexed at this opinion, I've been following them since The Oncoming Storm and Watchers was easily their best release since that

I can't think of a better 10 minute stretch of metalcore than tracks 4-6, it's pretty much perfection

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Kumbamontu posted:

I am utterly perplexed at this opinion, I've been following them since The Oncoming Storm and Watchers was easily their best release since that

I can't think of a better 10 minute stretch of metalcore than tracks 4-6, it's pretty much perfection

Sorry, I know. :( I swear I've tried hard to like it. On several occasions. It just always winds up feeling kind of samey the whole way through to me. It's like, after a while I find myself kind of zoning out and ignoring it, which is not how I listen to music. This album starts to sound like one 35 minute long double bass run with chugs over it. There's no differentiation in the parts like there has been on previous releases. No standout lines. No standout riffs. I mean, I'm exaggerating slightly, but my point is there's a lot less of all of these things than ever before. I couldn't even tell you my favorite song off it, really. I would probably say The Swarm, but probably only because that was the prerelease track that SXM040 played every hour before the rest came out.

For reference, my favorite overall album of theirs is The Oncoming Storm (controversial pick, I know). Some of my other favorite songs off other albums include Shattered by the Sun, Unstoppable, This Glorious Nightmare, We Are Not Anonymous, and Last Wish. And my #1 Unearth track is Hail the Shrine. The ending breakdown with, "a house of judgment so divine" is so badass. I mean if I'm being honest I think Unearth breakdowns in general are the best in the business and a lot of the reason I'm so attached to the band's body of work. But there's nothing on Watchers of Rule that comes close to, "that we BURN OUR BROTHERRRRS!!!"

I'm fine with just being wrong on this one though. Not really expecting to change any minds.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I actually agree with you on The Oncoming Storm, Failure & Zombie Autopilot are two of my absolute favorite core tracks from anyone. I'd say Watchers is a very, very close 2nd and III rounds out the top 3 for me. I mostly listen to Unearth for the drums, maybe that's why I love Watchers so much. The drumming all the way through is just unreal.

"And my reaching will never cease.... WILL NEVER CEASE!" is just such a good moment

What's everyone liking for their favorites so far this year? I haven't been paying much attention to core this year. Was really disappointed in KSE's release. Beartooth and Invent, Animate both had killer ones but I can't remember much else.

Some of you guys will probably like the Aborted record if you haven't heard it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCGOyvfzd-U

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Kumbamontu posted:

"And my reaching will never cease.... WILL NEVER CEASE!" is just such a good moment

Yep. That was the only line I could think of from the album while typing that last post. It's like the exception that proves the rule. But whatever, I'll drop it. Just wanted to explain myself a bit.

Kumbamontu posted:

What's everyone liking for their favorites so far this year?

On my album of the year list so far (alphabetical because I'm not ready to handicap them):
  • After the Burial - Dig Deep
  • Architects - All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us
  • Circle of Contempt - Structures for Creation
  • ERRA - Drift
  • Invent, Animate - Stillworld
  • Novelists - Souvenirs
Beartooth have never really done much for me. If metalcore is a spectrum from metal to hardcore, they're too close to the hardcore side for me. The Ghost Inside are about as close to that end as I typically care to venture. And the lack of Silent Planet on here is no oversight. I think that album was grossly overrated.

Can't rank them yet, but gun to my head I would say ERRA is probably the leader in the clubhouse for me, full release-wise. But my song of the year is probably Laurentian Ghosts. That thing fuuuuckin rips, my man.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I do really like the Circle of Contempt and ERRA records, good call I forgot about those.

Architects is not really my cup of tea, all their albums sound the same to me.

Agreed about Silent Planet. I liked that single and the Redivider song but I could barely get through the whole album trying to listen to it from start to finish. The vocals are a bit one note.

I somehow didn't realize there was an After the Burial release this year, I'll have to check that out!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Kumbamontu posted:

I somehow didn't realize there was an After the Burial release this year, I'll have to check that out!

Holy poo poo are you in for a treat. Good timing, too. It came out back in February but just got added to streaming services last week.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
the erra album is my least favorite of theirs songwriting-wise. i don't think they can ever top the atmosphere of songs like Render the Void or Heart, either. definitely their best production job though.

favorite of this year is probably napoleon - newborn mind

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

Holy poo poo are you in for a treat. Good timing, too. It came out back in February but just got added to streaming services last week.

Spotify only has two of the songs so far but drat you weren't kidding, those two ripped

Tried listening to the Whitechapel album and got 2 songs in before I got bored, I'll have to check out Napoleon

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Some favorite releases of mine from this year (in no real order):

Architects - All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us
Vanna - All Hell
Mandroid Echostar - Coral Throne
Art Far Away - Ghost Dancers & The Absolutes of Dolour
Protest the Hero - Pacific Myth (kind of an odd one, since 3 songs came out in 2015 and 3 came out in 2016, but whatever)

Also been some really strong singles from Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, and Stray From The Path.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
A few corethings I've liked this year, not really in any order

Vanna - All Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5YacpvT1E

Hellions - Opera Oblivia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xJQ504-ms

Despised Icon - Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spDK2MedUYY

Harm/Shelter - Paycheck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtbU90AOykg

Spite - Spite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=notLgmmzpSM

And yeah all the singles XIII mentioned, plus Knocked Loose.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Knocked Loose.

They just put out another new one today that's pretty rad. Still can't believe those kids grew up in the same poo poo rural outskirt county of Louisville that I did. Wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1jsU6Qaf80

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah that Norma Jean single is amazing. Only got it last night but I've been blasting it quite a lot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Honestly the Periphery album is my favorite so far. So far this year has been pretty ho-hum.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Honestly the Periphery album is my favorite so far. So far this year has been pretty ho-hum.

Wild. I think that album sucks total poo poo and this year has been great so far. Opinions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This hasn't really been a standout year for core imo but it's been a blast for metal in general

Also that Periphery album owns, if you can't at least dig Marigold I think your ears might be broken but then again Spencer is a very polarizing vocalist

I hate The Acacia Strain with every ounce of my being so I guess sometimes you Just Don't Like A Thing