Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I always read those charts as "lovely states with nothing to do cost less, and the sky continues to be blue". Like if you wanna live in Kansas and you can find a well paying tech job there then more power to you, I guess. But I'm gonna live in a cool place with cool people and not own a car (which is an option I think these kind of charts/stats fail to take into consideration, btw).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

camoseven posted:

I always read those charts as "lovely states with nothing to do cost less, and the sky continues to be blue". Like if you wanna live in Kansas and you can find a well paying tech job there then more power to you, I guess. But I'm gonna live in a cool place with cool people and not own a car (which is an option I think these kind of charts/stats fail to take into consideration, btw).

North Carolina seems like a fantastic value and I often look at it and wonder what the hell I'm doing in Boston.

And anyway, besides the fact that not everyone wants to live in a city center, I don't think you can really draw a straight line and conclude that, like, SF is more fun than New York, which is in turn more fun than Boston, or whatever.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

North Carolina seems like a fantastic value and I often look at it and wonder what the hell I'm doing in Boston.

And anyway, besides the fact that not everyone wants to live in a city center, I don't think you can really draw a straight line and conclude that, like, SF is more fun than New York, which is in turn more fun than Boston, or whatever.

It really seems like you're proving my point for me here, since the states that contain SF, NYC, and Boston are all within a couple bucks of each other, and all "cost" like $20 more than NC (and Kansas). You also point out that living in a city center costs way more than living in the sticks, so the statistics are gonna be hosed up by states with big cities in them (which makes this a completely useless and stupid map).

That map is just another example of all the click bait "livability" or "value" or "wow there are young people here" lists that Forbes or BusinessWeek or whoever the gently caress put out all the time, and then idiots in whatever city that happened to be on that list spam into my loving Facebook feed as some kind of proof that they made good life choices.

E: like seriously live wherever the gently caress you want, but if you need a bullshit article with massaged statistics to make you feel good about that choice then maybe you need to rethink some things? (And if I seem mad about this issue its because I am and I should probably delete my Facebook account)

camoseven fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 8, 2016

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Reallllll big interview for me in the AM and I can feel the nervousness creeping in. Any tips or tricks you use to stay on your mental a-game are appreciated!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

Reallllll big interview for me in the AM and I can feel the nervousness creeping in. Any tips or tricks you use to stay on your mental a-game are appreciated!

Cease studying or thinking too hard about. Just know that you'll get questions and you will think of the answer, or you wont. But most likely you will know an answer or be able to find your way towards one. It's all good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some of us live in Boston and not North Carolina because North Carolina basically wants people like me to suffer.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Just as an FYI, I'm in NC (the Triangle, not Charlotte) and unless you like southern culture and want to start a family, don't move here. I'm deathly bored and looking to get out as soon as I can move over into a programming type position. Charlotte is even worse, as it doesn't even really have a culture, unless you like bank bros.

Pollyanna posted:

Some of us live in Boston and not North Carolina because North Carolina basically wants people like me to suffer.

Also this, I'm in the closet at my job because it's a private very conservative company, and if you leave the city bubble, you'll see why they passed the amendment banning same sex marriage.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Shirec posted:

Just as an FYI, I'm in NC (the Triangle, not Charlotte) and unless you like southern culture and want to start a family, don't move here. I'm deathly bored and looking to get out as soon as I can move over into a programming type position. Charlotte is even worse, as it doesn't even really have a culture, unless you like bank bros.

Also this, I'm in the closet at my job because it's a private very conservative company, and if you leave the city bubble, you'll see why they passed the amendment banning same sex marriage.

Where are you in the Triangle? Generally speaking it's really liberal here and there's tons to do...

NC is one of the most purple states because of areas like the Triangle, and we need MORE people to come into these areas so we can expand and the state can officially go blue IMO. There's tons of pushback/backlash on the current lovely state government repubs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I like how people have things they want to be true about where they prefer to live for unrelated reasons and then make arguments supporting that viewpoint about what the cost of living charts and tables actually mean...without even checking the data and methodology.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

camoseven posted:

Where do you live that you don't need a car? That's my dream. I could get away with it if I moved closer to the city here, but only by tripling my travel costs by abusing buses and taxis.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I live in Boston and don't own a car

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
There's also the less drastic "Couple has one car instead of two" scenarios.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Zero The Hero posted:

Where do you live that you don't need a car? That's my dream. I could get away with it if I moved closer to the city here, but only by tripling my travel costs by abusing buses and taxis.

Currently living car free in Baltimore. My wife and I did the math, and the cost of a car payment + insurance + maintenance + gas + parking were so much that even if she Ubered to and from work every day we'd still be saving money. She doesn't do that (she bikes, mostly), but it was an interesting exercise. I don't know anything about your situation, obviously, but it's worth taking a look at the "real" cost of car ownership.

Full disclosure: I work from home 100% of the time now, which is kind of cheating when it comes to living car-free. I worked in an office in an office in Indianapolis, though, and my wife and I shared one car cause I was able to bike or bus to work every day. Also, it's not like we NEVER drive. We use ZipCar a couple times a month to get to the big box stores in the 'burbs or whatever, and we'll be renting a car for a weekend trip this month. But despite those costs, we still save money over owning a car, and we don't have to deal with the headaches that come with owning one.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's pretty easy to go car free if you live in big city, your work is in that same city, and there's good public transit. My husband and I lived in downtown Seattle car-less for 3 years.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Rurutia posted:

Where are you in the Triangle? Generally speaking it's really liberal here and there's tons to do...

NC is one of the most purple states because of areas like the Triangle, and we need MORE people to come into these areas so we can expand and the state can officially go blue IMO. There's tons of pushback/backlash on the current lovely state government repubs.

I'm in Cary, so that probably explains that. I work for the big private software guy here, and it's conservative as all get out. I know I'm a bad liberal to want to leave, I just want to go to an area with a wider dating pool and get out of the South :saddowns:
You're right though, I was being a bit unfair, there are things to do. I've lived in the Carolinas since I was 12, so I'm a bit burned out in general here.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

an skeleton posted:

Remind yourself that the worst possible outcome is hearing is "not now." You don't lose much other than time and you'll learn about interviews by doing another one.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Rurutia posted:

It's pretty easy to go car free if you live in big city, your work is in that same city, and there's good public transit. My husband and I lived in downtown Seattle car-less for 3 years.

This is why Seattle is one of the places I applied to recently when I lost my job. It seems difficult to get a job there though, the first question is always, "Why are you applying here from halfway across the country?" I haven't found an answer they seem to accept.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Shirec posted:

I'm in Cary, so that probably explains that. I work for the big private software guy here, and it's conservative as all get out. I know I'm a bad liberal to want to leave, I just want to go to an area with a wider dating pool and get out of the South :saddowns:
You're right though, I was being a bit unfair, there are things to do. I've lived in the Carolinas since I was 12, so I'm a bit burned out in general here.

I lived in Cary for a few years and the biggest things it has going for it are that it's safe and has all the good grocery stores. Other than that it's boring as gently caress because only old people and families live there. I live just outside downtown Raleigh now and work for a very socially open company, so it's not all bad. I know many others in a similar position.

Though I will admit, if you go about 30 miles in any direction it feels like Deliverance.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
What is the difference between "I hard coded it to see if it would work" and "I want to make this code production-ready"?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What, exactly, is a :airquote: consultant firm? Like, is it just a temp agency with a fancy name for fancy jobs or is it closer to an outsourcing firm?

And Toxic, thanks for the info.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

BirdOfPlay posted:

What, exactly, is a :airquote: consultant firm? Like, is it just a temp agency with a fancy name for fancy jobs or is it closer to an outsourcing firm?

And Toxic, thanks for the info.

Consultancies range in culture and function, but no it is not just a glorified temp agency. Typically companies hire consultancy firms when they have a job that they can't or wont do themselves. This means they will be working with the consultants and leadership at that firm to get the job done. Often consultants will be split among separate practices at the firm; i.e. some will be mobile, ux, management, web, however the company decides to label people, but consultants are known to be flexible / interdisciplinary as a result of having to switch between client projects.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I did ok/well in the interview, but definitely feel a strong feeling of I did well but not well *enough*, i.e. I'm pretty sure I will be edged out by a rockstar candidate. I remember making significant mistakes in 1-2 / 6 interviews, although I tried to outline my thoughts well to my interviewer; its such a task to be both technically proficient, a good communicator, as well as trying to be friendly/charismatic when you can.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The general rule is that temps are for unskilled work, contractors are short-term but otherwise regular employees, and consultants are (in theory at least) experts in the thing they're work on and brought in for that expertise rather than just because you needed more bodies.

In practice a lot of consultants are actually just experts in sounding impressive to business people, of course.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Shirec posted:

I don't mind Southern culture and like suburban living, although I'm not sure my wife is really sold. Also I might get sick of the weather I guess.

camoseven posted:

It really seems like you're proving my point for me here, since the states that contain SF, NYC, and Boston are all within a couple bucks of each other, and all "cost" like $20 more than NC (and Kansas). You also point out that living in a city center costs way more than living in the sticks, so the statistics are gonna be hosed up by states with big cities in them (which makes this a completely useless and stupid map).

It's not really totally useless. Living in the sticks in Massachusetts is still pretty expensive compared to living in the sticks somewhere else (we'll just discount ultra-rural places since MA doesn't even have those really). And Boston is more expensive than other comparably sized cities.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 9, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Zero The Hero posted:

This is why Seattle is one of the places I applied to recently when I lost my job. It seems difficult to get a job there though, the first question is always, "Why are you applying here from halfway across the country?" I haven't found an answer they seem to accept.

I find it had to believe they don't accept you wanting to live in Seatyle cause you think it's a cool city or that you need a job.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Just got a job in Seattle. The question comes up but you just say "because seattle loving rules!!!!!!" In more words than that and you're fine.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

an skeleton posted:

Consultancies range in culture and function, but no it is not just a glorified temp agency. Typically companies hire consultancy firms when they have a job that they can't or wont do themselves. This means they will be working with the consultants and leadership at that firm to get the job done. Often consultants will be split among separate practices at the firm; i.e. some will be mobile, ux, management, web, however the company decides to label people, but consultants are known to be flexible / interdisciplinary as a result of having to switch between client projects.

Ok, this was what I was assuming and meant by "outsourcing". (Maybe I'm weird, but I read an Econmist article that made a big distinction between "outsourcing" and "off shoring".)

Plorkyeran posted:

The general rule is that temps are for unskilled work, contractors are short-term but otherwise regular employees, and consultants are (in theory at least) experts in the thing they're work on and brought in for that expertise rather than just because you needed more bodies.

In practice a lot of consultants are actually just experts in sounding impressive to business people, of course.

Huh, so this is more complicated than I thought? Also, why do these firms talk a big training/continuing education game on their sites if the focus is on "experts"?

They even seemed less likely than the big corps to play buzzword bingo with my resume or be hard-asses about having a degree. Guess I'll have to find a new avenue of attack then. :sigh:

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 9, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I live in new york and I have a car. And it fuckin owns.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BirdOfPlay posted:

Also, why do these firms talk a big training/continuing education game on their sites if the focus is on "experts"?
Experts attain that state, then cannot risk learning anything new or being trained on new tools or equipment?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

BirdOfPlay posted:

Huh, so this is more complicated than I thought? Also, why do these firms talk a big training/continuing education game on their sites if the focus is on "experts"?

Experts are experts cause they stay up to date on their topic of expertise.

Also a lot of large consulting firms hire new grads and train them up to become experts with them working to help those that are already experts. lovely consulting firms also just hire new grads and sell them as if they were experts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I live in Boston and I'm bringing my car up because gently caress walking 15 minutes for groceries. I'm also planning on moving further out of the city when I get a chance cause it's bullshit expensive to live here, tho.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

pr0zac posted:

Also a lot of large consulting firms hire new grads and train them up to become experts with them working to help those that are already experts. lovely consulting firms also just hire new grads and sell them as if they were experts.
The not-completely-lovely firms will bill you for 40 hours/week of an expert's time, but actually give you 40 hours from a new grad and 10 hours from an actual expert, which can work out well for everyone involved as long as the new grad is merely lacking experience.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pollyanna posted:

and I'm bringing my car up because gently caress walking 15 minutes for groceries.

lmfao you're adorable

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

The idiom I always hear is that consultants are hired to convince management that the problems devs have complained about for years are actually real.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Sometimes they're also hired to tell management that the devs are just being a bunch of whiny babies, but yeah. "Expert" often means "person with perceived authority who will say what the person responsible for bringing them in wants them to say".

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Or to be an easy person to blame when something goes horribly wrong. "Yeah, I was worried about MongoDB, but those drat consultants convinced us all."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That or to annoy future coders with their god awful code several years down the line.

"Good lord what pants-on-head stupid mouth breather wrote this garbage and why am I not allowed to spend some time gutting this barely functional pile of spaghetti code and rewriting it? That would take me less time than figuring out how to get everything new to work with this ten year old dumpster fire."

It's very obvious when code was written by somebody who was willing to do the job for less than somebody else.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

lmfao you're adorable

Walking while carrying those groceries probably sucks.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So for a multitude of good reasons I've had to wait until the final day (the deadline) accept my offer letter (tomorrow). I was going to call the HR person I've been corresponding with tomorrow and negotiate salary and accept the offer, but I don't know if its a bad idea to do so now because its so late in the acceptance timespan. It's my first job out of college and I've stopped pursuing other opportunities, so I don't want to screw this one up; is it a bad idea to ask for $5000 (ish) more in salary or should I go ahead and go for it? A few other things I was going to do were get clarity on the dispensing of my relocation bonus, and ask to get their WFH/vacation policies in writing in my offer, which they currently are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cool, glad to hear it wasn't wishful thinking on my end from looking at the websites of these consultancies. Seeing things like training being emphasized made me feel like they'd be more open to someone like me without a degree. Because here in Pittsburgh I don't have a lot of options, it seems that those guys, web developer outfits, and big time corporations seem to be the only real options for programming work. And those big time corps (I assume) use resume scanners, which I will handily fail.

an skeleton posted:

So for a multitude of good reasons I've had to wait until the final day (the deadline) accept my offer letter (tomorrow). I was going to call the HR person I've been corresponding with tomorrow and negotiate salary and accept the offer, but I don't know if its a bad idea to do so now because its so late in the acceptance timespan. It's my first job out of college and I've stopped pursuing other opportunities, so I don't want to screw this one up; is it a bad idea to ask for $5000 (ish) more in salary or should I go ahead and go for it? A few other things I was going to do were get clarity on the dispensing of my relocation bonus, and ask to get their WFH/vacation policies in writing in my offer, which they currently are not.

Bullshit about being busy or what not. I'd say it be worse if you called them after the deadline than on the last day.

But you need to make sure you are super clear on their relocation policies, I know this from working as a mover. Is it just a fat stack added to your first paycheck or is it a separate reimbursement for expenses? Make sure you know exactly what you need to do to get it, whether it is as simple as saying you moved from Texas or as complicated as a folder full of receipts and invoices.