Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Horse Clocks posted:

More likely Costco wanted its wholesale price to be lower than the standard model. They're probably more quiet due to different (and probably not as hard wearing) plastics gearbox.

No, they're the same as Commerical models. Lead gears that strip instead of destroying the motor.

Ask me about that time I found out Hobart manufactures their floor mixers with lead gears, and no you can't mix 50lbs of chesnut cookie dough in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Wait so the Costco ones are like the old Hobart ones? poo poo, I'd have gotten that rather than the pro model I got. Even if it meant I had to buy costco only attachments. drat it.

Edit: Well poo poo. It turns out that yeah it totally loving is like the old Hobart ones. Get that one dude.

There are no Costco attachments, though. I mean, all the 'power pack' attachments work, but beater hooks and bowls won't.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 3, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, they're the same as Commerical models. Lead gears that strip instead of destroying the motor.

Ask me about that time I found out Hobart manufactures their floor mixers with lead gears, and no you can't mix 50lbs of chesnut cookie dough in there.

Tell me.

I'm trying to imagine what that might sound like, and I'm failing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Tell me.

I'm trying to imagine what that might sound like, and I'm failing.

Really loud crack, like stone breaking, paddle stopped moving, and it just sounded like someone grinding sand.

Fully replacing the gearbox cost $800. A new motor would have been impossible, as I've got one of the old, old models that lack any safety features, i.e., the really good ones. So I would have ended up buying a new Hobart if the motor had fried.

This is a 60qt bowl, I can only imagine what the 140qt would sound like.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

So only the artisan ones have the stupid nylon and plastic gears? I thought even the pro uses the nylon ones.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Croatoan posted:

So only the artisan ones have the stupid nylon and plastic gears? I thought even the pro uses the nylon ones.

There was a point where the Pro was using plastic gears, I think that was about 10 years ago? My Pro 500, which is about 7 years old, uses the soft steel/lead gears.

Artisans are the trash mixers though, if you'd be using it remotely often, expect stripped gears.

e: I had to replace this piece last year, which I'd say is right in line with commercial models. If you mix a lot of pizza dough and the like, it will have an effect on gear life.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 3, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suggestions on a home espresso machine in the $200 range?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Check the coffee thread, but spend 30 on an aeropress or moca pot and save money.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

quote:

Kitchenaid Gears

Doesn't matter to me, Costco's return policy is so good if this thing breaks it will be easy to return (i.e. buy another for my grandma, return broken one, keep new exchange for myself). As for attachments that no one will ever buy and some of which cost as much as the mixer itself, my grandma makes cakes and whipped cream, I'm sure it will be fine.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, aeropress would be my rec.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aquila posted:

Doesn't matter to me, Costco's return policy is so good if this thing breaks it will be easy to return (i.e. buy another for my grandma, return broken one, keep new exchange for myself). As for attachments that no one will ever buy and some of which cost as much as the mixer itself, my grandma makes cakes and whipped cream, I'm sure it will be fine.

Yeah, actually those are the attachments it's still compatible with. The attachments it's not compatible with are any of the fancy whisks or scraper paddles or dough hooks, because the bowl is different.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Suggestions on a home espresso machine in the $200 range?

ROKs are about that and pull a mean shot. If $200 is just for the espresso machine because you already own the grinder, go that way.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

This month Costco has the 6qt KP26M9X lift bowl Kitchenaid with a $55 mfg instant rebate, effective price $275, and also a free ice cream maker attachment MiR.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 5, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I wanna get some friends a sous vide machine as a wedding gift, what's the current hotness?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

I wanna get some friends a sous vide machine as a wedding gift, what's the current hotness?

Anova Precision Cooker.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

Anova Precision Cooker.

This. Though the ChefSteps Joule looks pretty darn cool and it's on sale now (or soon or something), I haven't heard much about its reliability and performance. This is in contrast to the Anova, which is pretty rock-solid with good customer support, though some few users seem to have problems with steam getting in the motor at higher temperatures (I suspect this is highly setup-dependent). I've had my Anova for a bit over a year and used it maybe 30 times and it's been great.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Anybody have any experience buying appliances from Plessers? They seem like a pretty big online retailer and the lack of sales tax + free extended 10-year warranties (even if they are fairly limited warranties) is pretty tempting. It'd be nice to buy from a local shop, but the two places I've talked to refuse to offer any sort of discount (only one of the appliances is price controlled).

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

baquerd posted:

This. Though the ChefSteps Joule looks pretty darn cool and it's on sale now (or soon or something), I haven't heard much about its reliability and performance. This is in contrast to the Anova, which is pretty rock-solid with good customer support, though some few users seem to have problems with steam getting in the motor at higher temperatures (I suspect this is highly setup-dependent). I've had my Anova for a bit over a year and used it maybe 30 times and it's been great.

The Joule is still preorder. Last email they sent said it should be shipping in September.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
I think general consensus for Microwaves is "inverter all the things", but I keep reading review after review of failing door mechanisms in the Panasonic inverter microwaves. Coupled with a generally awful looking interface on most of their models I'm wondering what other options there might be. Anyone have experience with this? https://bigchill.com/shop/hoods/retro-microwave/

The upcoming countertop induction ovens look interesting, but I wonder how they will perform at just basic reheat tasks:

http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/kitchen-appliances/countertop-induction-ovens/NU-HX100S.html?supportpage=true

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1492357784/tovala-the-smart-oven-that-makes-home-cooking-easy

I'm looking for something counter top, at least 1.6 cu/ft, stainless, yadda yadda. What else is out there, or should I just shut up and inverter all the things?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anova Precision Cooker on sale today for $149

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anova-Precision-Cooker-WiFi-/201629220085?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That stupid mixer is never going on sale, is it? :smith:

I mean judging by the prices on the other sites, it already is on sale. I'm just wondering if it's ever gonna go any more on sale than that.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That stupid mixer is never going on sale, is it? :smith:

I mean judging by the prices on the other sites, it already is on sale. I'm just wondering if it's ever gonna go any more on sale than that.

CamelCamelCamel has price history for items on Amazon. It looks like the lowest the 6-quart KitchenAid stand mixers have ever gone on Amazon has been 254.94, shipping included, for the Costco model as a Certified Refurbished item.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

CamelCamelCamel has price history for items on Amazon. It looks like the lowest the 6-quart KitchenAid stand mixers have ever gone on Amazon has been 254.94, shipping included, for the Costco model as a Certified Refurbished item.

So it probably won't be priced any lower than it is now. That's good to know.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Anyone have any recommendations on kitchen shoes?

Im done with clogs and want something that will last. I like traditional work boot style. Price isnt really a problem. Im mostly concerned about durability.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is the OP recommendation for cookware, Cuisinart MCP-12, appropriate for a gas top stove?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

vacuity posted:

I think general consensus for Microwaves is "inverter all the things", but I keep reading review after review of failing door mechanisms in the Panasonic inverter microwaves. Coupled with a generally awful looking interface on most of their models I'm wondering what other options there might be. Anyone have experience with this? https://bigchill.com/shop/hoods/retro-microwave/

That's not a retro microwave. Almost a decade ago I moved into a place and put a call out to people I know if anyone had a free microwave. My friend shows up later with with absolute behemoth and we carry it into the kitchen.

It was large enough to fit a medium turkey. The handle to open the door was a classic 1960s fridge swing handle, and all it had for settings was a dial. A single time dial. That made a very satisfying ding when it was done.

Most of the time when I used it I left the room because I had sincere doubts about the shielding.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I had to go back and double check, but I remembered right - I don't know what I did to snag it at this price but it happened and I've loved every minute of it.

EDIT: I think I called my mom to ask if I should buy it at that price and she screamed at me, wondering why I hadn't bought two already.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough. Still, that's a Christmas sale, and November is generally when the prices bottom out anyway.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I had a measuring cup that perfectly fit my immersion blender (I think it came with it) for making mayos and such that I seemed to have lost in a move. Anyone have a recommendation for a tall, narrow, clear measuring cup that would just fit the head of the blender (2.5 inches)?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Empty jam jar! Make mayo directly in it, throw the lid on and put it in the fridge.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He wants a measuring cup. With measurements on it.

I think this is the same cup that came with my cuisinart stick blender.

Cuisinart CSB-77MC Mixing/Measuring Cup, 16 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RDHC1O/

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

angor posted:

Empty jam jar! Make mayo directly in it, throw the lid on and put it in the fridge.

I like the idea but what jars are the right width to allow the emulsification (maybe a widemouth mason jar?)? From my understanding, in jars that are too wide the emulsion won't form.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

He wants a measuring cup. With measurements on it.

I think this is the same cup that came with my cuisinart stick blender.

Cuisinart CSB-77MC Mixing/Measuring Cup, 16 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RDHC1O/

That is kind of like what I had but mine was straight sided. I wonder the same thing about that one that I wonder about the jar.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'd just see if you can get a replacement for the original, if it came with the stick blender.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Gibbo posted:

That's not a retro microwave. Almost a decade ago I moved into a place and put a call out to people I know if anyone had a free microwave. My friend shows up later with with absolute behemoth and we carry it into the kitchen.

It was large enough to fit a medium turkey. The handle to open the door was a classic 1960s fridge swing handle, and all it had for settings was a dial. A single time dial. That made a very satisfying ding when it was done.

Most of the time when I used it I left the room because I had sincere doubts about the shielding.

I had an apartment once with a very 80's looking microwave, it heated food just fine but my wifi stopped working when it was on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PDP-1 posted:

I had an apartment once with a very 80's looking microwave, it heated food just fine but my wifi stopped working when it was on.

2.4 sucks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: Holy poo poo wrong thread.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 28, 2016

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

dalstrs posted:

That is kind of like what I had but mine was straight sided. I wonder the same thing about that one that I wonder about the jar.

That's the same cup that came with mine also. I've made mayo in it a couple times and it seemed to work fine.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'd just see if you can get a replacement for the original, if it came with the stick blender.

I tried, couldn't find it. I think I am going to try a wide mouth mason jar and see if it works, if not I will try that Cuisinart cup.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I want an extra bowl for my KitchenAid Pro 5. I was looking to get a glass one but I cannot for the life of me find one other than a model that comes with the dang thing which I didn't get obviously. I can't see where to get that separately, anyone else have any luck? Or any other recommendations?

Edit: Well poo poo of course I find this right after I post. https://amzn.com/B00QUVGMUK
God drat that's a bunch of loving money for a flippin mixing bowl though. Anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PDP-1 posted:

The microwave I bought circa 2000 did this, although I didn't realize it until 2015.