Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Those boots are the single worst item too.

The Red Wings 4473 is easily passable in uniform as the awful required ones.

I bought some like 6 months ago. Hopefully they don't switch to tan too fast, because these fuckers were expensive.

Unless we get to wear the loving Nike sneakers the air force gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

The Red Wings 4473 is easily passable in uniform as the awful required ones.

I bought some like 6 months ago. Hopefully they don't switch to tan too fast, because these fuckers were expensive.

Unless we get to wear the loving Nike sneakers the air force gets.

What makes them not uniform again? Ours are 9 inches or some such nonsense?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah I thought you just pull off the road and start shooting

Certain areas have nice berms on which to set up targets and sacrificial empty beer bottles. You don't want to just randomly go shoot at things like a loving philistine.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

What makes them not uniform again? Ours are 9 inches or some such nonsense?

Literally no one except the anointed Bates makes a 9 inch all black leather with no mesh panels.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

NSW is going to make a new uniform now, mark my words. Also :lol: at the black boots thing, that's how you'll differentiate SPECIAL FORCES from the regular mendicants.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Orders got wrecked by school house. Trying to unfuck. Running down to the wire. So much for my orders.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
This new uniform poo poo cracks me up right after they release the lightweight blueberries.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tacopie posted:

This new uniform poo poo cracks me up right after they release the lightweight blueberries.

Forget about that. Silly.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Forget about that. Silly.

Dude, I almost bought a pair. But didn't.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tacopie posted:

Dude, I almost bought a pair. But didn't.

I was going to for Hawaii this November. Sweating my balls off seemed like a bad idea. Gotta find out when my command wants us to switch over because 2019 is a long ways away.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
God I hate I don't have to buy another uniform set before getting out in 9 months.

Actually started taking care of my boots cause I don't want to buy another pair before separation.

Also what are the best practices to maximize my time off the ship during my last 6 months because "I'm getting ready to get out?"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Also what are the best practices to maximize my time off the ship during my last 6 months because "I'm getting ready to get out?"

"Hey, [Department Head], I'm going to Legal/Pre-Sep Counciling/Medical/Dental/Navy College Office, see you tomorrow!"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

God I hate I don't have to buy another uniform set before getting out in 9 months.

Actually started taking care of my boots cause I don't want to buy another pair before separation.

Any excuse you can to get out of the shop, up to and including just ghosting out of there.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Howard Phillips posted:

Just remember that in 6 months, you're going to sever with most of the people you currently know. You will not be part of "the team" anymore and will fade from memory a lot faster than you might expect. If you're moving after EAOS, you will probably never see more than a handful of these people ever again. It's kind of like what happened when you left your hometown for the Navy.

Keeping that perspective when it comes to "Hey, I know you need to get your life in order for EAOS but could you stick around and help out with ..." type situations will help a lot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KetTarma posted:

Just remember that in 6 months, you're going to sever with most of the people you currently know. You will not be part of "the team" anymore and will fade from memory a lot faster than you might expect. If you're moving after EAOS, you will probably never see more than a handful of these people ever again. It's kind of like what happened when you left your hometown for the Navy.

Keeping that perspective when it comes to "Hey, I know you need to get your life in order for EAOS but could you stick around and help out with ..." type situations will help a lot.

This is very true, even though it doesn't seem likely.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Your last 6 months shouldn't be you dipping out or skating, then it becomes a hassle with the

KetTarma posted:

"Hey, I know you need to get your life in order for EAOS but could you stick around and help out with ..." type situations...

So I recommend starting that ASAP however close you are to EAOS be it a year out or you are fresh out of boot. Establish you are useless and have no impact present or gone.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just make sure to make medical appointments for any and all issues. Get a copy of your medical record and make sure you get a copy of all your electronic ones as well (not all will be in the hard copy). Make an appointment with the DAV to file your claims (pretty sure you can do this while still in, maybe on terminal, I don't remember)

I know way too many people that just hosed off the last month leading up to EAS. Just check no on every box on their final physical and don't write anything down. Then get all pissed that they're having a hard time with their claims etc and are scrambling to get a copy of poo poo and don't have sufficient medical documentation of said ailment

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 7, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

KetTarma posted:

His about a couple signatures on instrumentation for d times sake?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok why the gently caress is Virginia so hot?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
it's not the heat, it's the humidity

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah it's only supposed to hit 82 today but it was 78 at 2am...

Oh well off to class.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just make sure to make medical appointments for any and all issues. Get a copy of your medical record and make sure you get a copy of all your electronic ones as well (not all will be in the hard copy). Make an appointment with the DAV to file your claims (pretty sure you can do this while still in, maybe on terminal, I don't remember)

I know way too many people that just hosed off the last month leading up to EAS. Just check no on every box on their final physical and don't write anything down. Then get all pissed that they're having a hard time with their claims etc and are scrambling to get a copy of poo poo and don't have sufficient medical documentation of said ailment

Can't repeat this enough because people still gently caress it up.

Another thing is to start up on any school that you're planning on attending. Put in your applications way before the deadline and have the paperwork required to use the VA benefits months in advance of the school's registration deadlines. That includes not only your GI-Bill but also anything on top of that which States pay for (such as the Hazlewood Act for service members whose home of record is Texas). Imagine how inept admin is in the military and add to that about 1,000 because they're largely manned by students with work-study gigs in some colleges/universities. Make sure you maintain copies as well of anything you send them, keeping in mind dates that things were sent as well as responses they give you. This is how you pull a Christoff and get a sweet nursing school degree plan that's largely you studying and checking out hot nurses/doctors while not having to worry about where the money is coming from.

If you're planning to work for the government afterwards, bare in mind that the government ways of screening for jobs can take months from when you apply, to when they call for an interview, and when they launch investigations/requirements prior to employing you. Having all your ducks in a row and having things being processed in the mean time as you travel back to your home of record or wherever the gently caress you want to go will save you the headache of rushing for poo poo and getting it hosed up. The extra time will eventually help you repair whatever damages incompetency may bring, whether on your part or theirs.

When/if your command gives you poo poo, just ask them why they hate your freedoms.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

*jerks off in barracks and plays xbox month leading up to EAS*

"VA DENIED MY CLAIMS I HAD NOT ONE BIT OF DOCUMENTATION ON gently caress YOU VA" :saddowns:

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Talked to reserve recruiter today, and lmao now i have to drive like 100 miles to the nearest reserve recruiter to put in a package. gently caress living in the boonies sometimes.

Dat cheap health insurance and beer money tho.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

we lost one gents

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

we lost one gents

The reserves thanks you for your service!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Pandasmores posted:

Can't repeat this enough because people still gently caress it up.

Another thing is to start up on any school that you're planning on attending. Put in your applications way before the deadline and have the paperwork required to use the VA benefits months in advance of the school's registration deadlines. That includes not only your GI-Bill but also anything on top of that which States pay for (such as the Hazlewood Act for service members whose home of record is Texas). Imagine how inept admin is in the military and add to that about 1,000 because they're largely manned by students with work-study gigs in some colleges/universities. Make sure you maintain copies as well of anything you send them, keeping in mind dates that things were sent as well as responses they give you. This is how you pull a Christoff and get a sweet nursing school degree plan that's largely you studying and checking out hot nurses/doctors while not having to worry about where the money is coming from.

If you're planning to work for the government afterwards, bare in mind that the government ways of screening for jobs can take months from when you apply, to when they call for an interview, and when they launch investigations/requirements prior to employing you. Having all your ducks in a row and having things being processed in the mean time as you travel back to your home of record or wherever the gently caress you want to go will save you the headache of rushing for poo poo and getting it hosed up. The extra time will eventually help you repair whatever damages incompetency may bring, whether on your part or theirs.

When/if your command gives you poo poo, just ask them why they hate your freedoms.

Words of wisdom.

Yeah I'm gonna be documenting everything and make a copy of my medical record. Still on deployment but as soon as I get back I'm gonna schedule medical appointments for all my foot problems. I've got a couple of options I'm looking for what I'm gonna do. 1) Go to grad school 2) Go to coding boot camp (not covered by Post 9/11 GI Bill) 3) Just get a job. Sucks that I'm more or less making the transition from deployment.

I have the most micro-managing retarded chain of command. Even though I've already dropped papers it still hasn't hit me yet. So dealing with the SWO guilt and stress cycles of toeing the line for poor leadership. One of the reasons why I'm getting out.

Lack of personal life is a big one also. I'm 30 now and want to start a family by the time I'm 35. Yeah I know you can't really plan for this kind of stuff but so far I've met my goal of not getting married by 30 or knocking someone up.

Totally gonna spend next summer traveling the world and boozing/whoring for a couple of months.Tax free dollars are good savings for that. Can't wait to finally travel and do it on my accord.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/08/09/navy-develops-new-fleet-uniforms-latest/88307080/

Uniform stuff

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Jesus Christ just use the coast guard one instead of spending 320 million dollars prototyping it at your Navy Future Clothing and Cocaine Swimming Pool lab.

It's only going to loving suck anyway no matter how much time and money gets wasted.

NWU took 220 million dollars to design. It's a blue camouflage that sucks. Every other service has camo. Just could have taken that and made it blue.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I like the look of that shipboard flight suit.

That said, coveralls all day erry day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laranzu posted:

Jesus Christ just use the coast guard one instead of spending 320 million dollars prototyping it at your Navy Future Clothing and Cocaine Swimming Pool lab.

It's only going to loving suck anyway no matter how much time and money gets wasted.

NWU took 220 million dollars to design. It's a blue camouflage that sucks. Every other service has camo. Just could have taken that and made it blue.

They did. It's a palette swap of marpat with the eagle, anchor, constitution replacing the EGA.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

They did. It's a palette swap of marpat with the eagle, anchor, constitution replacing the EGA.

Hey now, they also spent that money loving around with the arrangement of the pockets.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Actually the funniest part of this is going to be watching the mental gymnastics the Navy uses to give the blue shipboard flight suit different wear rules then the green and tan ones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

Hey now, they also spent that money loving around with the arrangement of the pockets.

When they're done with the fat leonard probe they need to look into the army camo uniform and the NWUs that both cost hundreds of millions for something completely nonfunctional.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Don't forget the ABU.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

When they're done with the fat leonard probe they need to look into the army camo uniform and the NWUs that both cost hundreds of millions for something completely nonfunctional.

Lmao if you think people wont get handed astronomical sums of money to conclude nothing was wrong in the acquisition process.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

and other completely idiot things.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Too bad they didn't prototype the Not Complete Dogshit option for the boots.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

Actually the funniest part of this is going to be watching the mental gymnastics the Navy uses to give the blue shipboard flight suit different wear rules then the green and tan ones.

"Can't wear enlisted flight suit off ships." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Navy with blue cammo is like the dumbest idea ever to be put to use.

• Locked thread