Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pinny posted:

I bought one of these recently too: http://www.tru-tension.com/chain-monkey/ getting the chain back on and adjusted correctly turned an annoying back and forth job (at least with the adjusters on this bike) into a 5 minute piece of cake. Recommend grabbing one if chain adjustments annoy you too.

$5 for the tool, $30 for the lookup table that tells you how to convert X amount of play in a full chain length in to Y amount of kink across three or four links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pinny posted:

I bought one of these recently too: http://www.tru-tension.com/chain-monkey/ getting the chain back on and adjusted correctly turned an annoying back and forth job (at least with the adjusters on this bike) into a 5 minute piece of cake. Recommend grabbing one if chain adjustments annoy you too.

I got one a few weeks back too, it really takes all the fuckery out of chain set up.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Well, I think I just learned an important lesson. I just did a 900 mile road trip that ended prematurely because I was hearing some noise from the bottom of the bike. I'm pretty sure it was the chain, which was absolutely filthy and crudded up when I limped it back home (after cleaning it and re-lubing it the noise seems to be gone, so thank god for that, hopefully. Might end up replacing it soon anyways). So I guess the point of this is don't forget to clean your chain.

Anyways, if I try going a long distance like that, I guess I should bring chain lube and cleaner with me? Hard enough to pack all the rest of the stuff, but if it keeps the chain from binding on me on the highway I guess I better learn to make room and stop forgetting to do the periodic maintenance.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've never managed to pick up so much dirt that I'd need cleaner, but on my 500 mile day trips I bring a rag and lube and just do it at a gas station or whatever. You can get quite a bit of grime off it just wiping it down with a lubed rag anyway.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I saw in one of those fortnine vids a kit like this that comes with a small can of lube and the rag: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motorex-road-chain-clean-care-kit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To clean chain: any solvent you have at hand. Kerosene, paint thinner, WD-40, it's all the same.

To lubricate chain: the leftover engine oil in the bottom of the jug.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

As Nero Danced posted:

900 mile road trip

Anyways, if I try going a long distance like that, I guess I should bring chain lube and cleaner with me?

Yeah, what is it like a 500 mile recommended "clean your filthy chain"?

Hell I bring oil and filter on my big trips to change the oil somewhere if it's longer than the interval. Definitely don't neglect your maintenance in general and especially before and during trips.

If you have trouble fitting it in your pack, you could always just hit an Autozone for what you need wherever you are.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I think something like every 400 or 600 miles is what's recommended, but if I'm honest I know I hadn't done it for a while before setting off on the trip, so by the time I couldn't ignore it any longer it was like 2-3 times as much grime as I should have allowed. I am a loving idiot; don't be me. Coincidentally, if you haven't done a big ride before, don't start by shooting for ~1000 miles. I'm surprised I made it as far as I did frankly.

This does have me wondering though, and maybe this is a question for the discussion thread, but what would make for the least maintenance-requiring bike? Shaft drive, hydraulic lifters, non-lovely-old-carbs, etc. Does anything fit this bill? Probably a goldwing or something like that.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

As Nero Danced posted:

This does have me wondering though, and maybe this is a question for the discussion thread, but what would make for the least maintenance-requiring bike? Shaft drive, hydraulic lifters, non-lovely-old-carbs, etc. Does anything fit this bill? Probably a goldwing or something like that.

Probably an electric bike but you would still have to charge the thing every night.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

As Nero Danced posted:

I think something like every 400 or 600 miles is what's recommended, but if I'm honest I know I hadn't done it for a while before setting off on the trip, so by the time I couldn't ignore it any longer it was like 2-3 times as much grime as I should have allowed. I am a loving idiot; don't be me. Coincidentally, if you haven't done a big ride before, don't start by shooting for ~1000 miles. I'm surprised I made it as far as I did frankly.

Bah, my first big ride was 2500 miles. Really it's more of a "if you're going 1000 miles, prepare to go 1000 miles" thing. I ran low on oil a few times but I put more in and kept going. My front header bolts started backing out and schmeared exhaust all over the front cylinder jug, but I tightened it up and kept going. It overheated so I parked it and waited and then kept going. One of the highway pegs fell off but I bought new ones and kept going.

As Nero Danced posted:

Goldwings take a lot of attention and are pretty costly to have serviced.

If you're after on-the-road simplicity, a '98ish Harley touring bike is a good bet. The belts never break (not enough power pulling them) and never need attention, they have one carb that doesn't gum up if you drain the bowl before long term storage and you never have to sync, hydraulic lifters you never adjust, no coolant to run low on or boil. The Evo motor will seep oil from the base gaskets but you can just ignore that.

Or just stuff with long intervals. Ducatis with the DVT 1200 have 16,000 mile service intervals or something like that. Just cross your fingers that it will start in the morning.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 9, 2016

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I sold my ride today.

And left my insurance card, registration, and the old bill of sale (with an amount $180 less than I sold it for) in the seat. :suicide:

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 9, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My cover has been shedding for a while and it has given my bike dandruff. I'm sick of it, so I went and bought a Bilt cover for $25. If it even fits I bet I still regret it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Buhbuhj posted:

Probably an electric bike but you would still have to charge the thing every night.

Yeah, definitely electric. Total number of moving parts on a direct-drive electric bike like a Zero:

Wheel bearings
Motor output shaft
Front and rear sprockets/pulleys
Chain/belt
Brake pistons
Steering stem
Control levers/throttle

That's it. The Zeros don't even have cables to lubricate since everything is either hydraulic or drive-by-wire. The first maintenance item other than tires and brakes is the motor output shaft bearing, which is a $16 part that needs to be replaced after 50,000 miles or something.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Buhbuhj posted:

I saw this guy on YouTube with a zero that he hooks up to his RV and just roams around everywhere for work or whatever. The thing as dirty as gently caress too, and he's melting power cords so I bet they could take some serious abuse as long as you can put up with the charging times. Some models do over heat if you are doing sportier riding but I think they fixed some of that with newer models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHhwWnI5jQ

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

I saw this guy on YouTube with a zero that he hooks up to his RV and just roams around everywhere for work or whatever. The thing as dirty as gently caress too, and he's melting power cords so I bet they could take some serious abuse as long as you can put up with the charging times. Some models do over heat if you are doing sportier riding but I think they fixed some of that with newer models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHhwWnI5jQ

Melting multiple power cords...should be using a thicker gauge of cable then. Anyway, it affirms my opinion that the Zero motorcycles are basically on the Tesla Roadster stage of development. Not well engineered or practical enough for mass market, but great for niche users. I absolutely loved my ride on an SR, felt like a magic racing carpet.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Melting multiple power cords...should be using a thicker gauge of cable then. Anyway, it affirms my opinion that the Zero motorcycles are basically on the Tesla Roadster stage of development. Not well engineered or practical enough for mass market, but great for niche users. I absolutely loved my ride on an SR, felt like a magic racing carpet.

Power cords and headlight wonkiness aside, I think most of the other crap he mentioned is standard motorcycle stuff. 16k on the belt, like he mentioned, through the dirt is not exactly unacceptable, the wheel spacer thing is just weird as gently caress, and shoving dirt into bearings will gently caress them up so yeah. Also I'm genuinely curious if he literally "replaced the forks" or if he only meant the fork seals - I have Öhlins poo poo on my bike and the seals blew, and that's just a fact of life. :shrug:

Sometimes when I hear a guy at work complain about how much maintenance his Kwak sucks up, I like to tell him that he and I can spank the poo poo out of a Porsche 911 in a straight line and get 40 mpg on average simultaneously. I'll gladly trade up an occasional funky wheel bearing for the ability to consistently and effortlessly poo poo on a 45 year old MBA taking testosterone supplements.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Work was gonna toss this old toolbox, nabbed it for the wifes DR. it'll suit him just well :D. and it fits in with DR owners haha.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
New clutch lever!

CRG RC2 shorty, feels really good to use

New exhaust!

Yoshimura WORKS full exhaust, bike howls now, as it should.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

As Nero Danced posted:

Well, I think I just learned an important lesson. I just did a 900 mile road trip that ended prematurely because I was hearing some noise from the bottom of the bike. I'm pretty sure it was the chain, which was absolutely filthy and crudded up when I limped it back home (after cleaning it and re-lubing it the noise seems to be gone, so thank god for that, hopefully. Might end up replacing it soon anyways). So I guess the point of this is don't forget to clean your chain.

Anyways, if I try going a long distance like that, I guess I should bring chain lube and cleaner with me? Hard enough to pack all the rest of the stuff, but if it keeps the chain from binding on me on the highway I guess I better learn to make room and stop forgetting to do the periodic maintenance.

If the chain was fine in the first place, then it's probably still fine after 900mi. They can get somewhat noisy sometimes though.

The big thing to look out for is links starting to kink up. If they do that, either get a new chain or soak the bastard in kerosene for an hour. Then dry it, lube it, and manually work that drat kink out. Also check it Very Often to make sure it doesn't do that again.

Or just get a new chain, even DID chains are cheap on amazon.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
So I've just been taking my poor bikes to a coin-op carwash and foam-brushing them every now and then. Decided to Actually Degrease my DRZ this time. Any ideas? I'm thinking simplegreen and kerosene.

That or taking it to work and throwing it into one of our gasoline tanks for a week. Dunno.

cursedshitbox posted:

Work was gonna toss this old toolbox, nabbed it for the wifes DR. it'll suit him just well :D. and it fits in with DR owners haha.

A cheap Weber grill?

e: Meant to edit. :welp:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I used a gallon of spray engine degreaser on the 16 years of swingarm filth on my drz. I clean the plastics with fuckoff. (goof off). easy with a pressure washer, you can force water past water seals for wheel bearings and such.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I used zep purple on goon advice. I also tried mixing simple green and pinesol, that worked well too.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Went through my first time cleaning a K&N filter on the DRZ. That oil junk is messy and sticky, but the filter looks really nice now that all of the crud is out of there.

It was a bit concerning when the filter didn't 'snap' into anything, but reading on ThumperTalk it sounds like that is perfectly normal for the K&N filters.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah the k&ns are weird i didn't like them, i stick to maxima pre oileds

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I used zep purple on goon advice. I also tried mixing simple green and pinesol, that worked well too.

I wanted to try pinesol but it's somehow $30/litre :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Oh man I love a good creampie vid

Nobody going to point this post/username combo out?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

$8 worth of Homeless Deathspot self-adhesive stair safety mat. Pretty decent for 20 minutes by an idiot with a knife.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

N is for Nipples posted:

$8 worth of Homeless Deathspot self-adhesive stair safety mat. Pretty decent for 20 minutes by an idiot with a knife.

:aah: holy poo poo. Why did this never occur to me?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
400 miles and 8 hours. Highway 1 isn't worth the hassle of the tourists.

N is for Nipples posted:

Twin Shadow :hfive:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

N is for Nipples posted:

Pringles :hfive:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Buhbuhj posted:

After, as close as I could make them considering how much it pulsed the fluid.

JB weld a main jet to the top of each tube fitting and it'll smooth right out.
Or just use the plastic fittings small enough that you can screw a main jet into them.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

:aah: holy poo poo. Why did this never occur to me?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-Safety-Step-2-Pack-05680/202065675

This is what I used. You can find similar material at Harbor Freight or something, HD is just closest to me. I bought two 2-packs but each strip is plenty long for pretty much any tank, I figured I might gently caress up or want to stack it twice. I cut a cardboard template and used that to cut the pads, then trimmed them a bit to fit.

Update: The Homeless Deathspot tank gripzzz work amazing. No more sliding around whatsoever. The GS has a slippery seat and I was never good at gripping slick, painted tanks with my knees - these make a world of difference. I'd probably have considered buying TechSpec or similar pads if I hadn't seen someone do something like this.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 12, 2016

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Today I dropped my KLR in the dumbest possible way... In the garage, because I didn't get the kickstand all the way down. Feel like an idiot, and broke the clutch and shift levers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:toot:

Less "what did I do to my ride" and more "what I paid someone else to do", but still. Totally worth it. Between the tyres and discs it almost looks like a totally new front end.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Started tearing into the DR350 carb.

The needle jet was broken but held together by shellac.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 13, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Started tearing into the DR350 carb.

The needle jet was broken but held together by shellac.

Getting a bike with a non-shithead PO was the best lesson I have learned about pre-owned vehicles.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The PO is a good buddy of mine and actually a great dude. I think he just suddenly parked it after he wrecked it and immediately went into two simultaneous graduate degrees a few years ago. He does beautiful woodwork and other things that require way more attention to detail and skill than motorcycle maintenance, so its current condition must be a fluke. But it was also $500 so I can't complain at all.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Got new tires.

14kmi old PR4 front.

e: It turned like a Harley.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 14, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Got new tires.