Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

Why do you tbink only nate learned from the last fight?

what do you think conor was surprised by in their first fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don't think anyone thinks Conor didn't learn anything from the last fight and won't be making adjustments for this fight, just that Nate will also be coming in having a feel for Conor.

As far as what I meant, just look at the guy in the Johnson fight vs the Nate that fought Conor. Nate's much sharper and quicker in the Johnson fight than he was coming in with no camp in the McGregor fight. He will actually get to spar with guys that approximate Conor's size and reach for weeks leading up to the fight, rather than coming in and having to get a feel for Conor on the fly.

That's what I meant by an improved version of Nate.

As far as adjustments I'd imagine the big one would be not getting countered over his jab repeatedly.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Dangersim posted:

Its kinda annoying how everytime i say something about mcgregor the same 3 people come in and start conplaining. Fucken stop with it dude

Okay, sorry man :(

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Okay, sorry man :(

Its ok i dont hold.grudges :)

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Maybe it's moot, arguing the same points with people who didn't even have a presence in the UFC threads until Conor lost. Just maybe.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

El Roncho posted:

Maybe it's moot, arguing the same points with people who didn't even have a presence in the UFC threads until Conor lost. Just maybe.

Perhaps, but when im bored at work i sometimes pass the time by arguing with people on the internet

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

Dangersim posted:

Why do you tbink only nate learned from the last fight?

I didn't say that nor think that. I merely answered your question of what Nate is improving from the first fight which is his familiarity of Conor and a fight camp for picking up where he left off; winning the fight. Conor could have learned a lot from the fight and it doesn't change this answer in that Nate has a lower bar to clear from the first fight.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Triticum Guzzler posted:

height and reach are important advantages if you're nate diaz fighting a nate diaz style fight against conor, but that's another different guy

Nate's biggest advantage over Conor is height and reach, not weight. Alvarez fighting different is exactly the reason him being heavier than Nate has no correlation to him being able to beat Conor based on the fight with Nate. Conor's used to having reach on everyone and he would again against Alvarez, which puts him in a more normal position.

I have no idea whether Conor would win. I hope he goes back to 145 and makes it a moot point.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Alvarez is a less technically skilled but more verbally skilled Frankie Edgar, and I think that is a fair trade-off.

A crucial mistake you've made here is that eddie is good and cool, and Frankie is bad and bad

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

thats a stupid thing to say

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Nate's biggest advantage over Conor is height and reach, not weight. Alvarez fighting different is exactly the reason him being heavier than Nate has no correlation to him being able to beat Conor based on the fight with Nate. Conor's used to having reach on everyone and he would again against Alvarez, which puts him in a more normal position.

I have no idea whether Conor would win. I hope he goes back to 145 and makes it a moot point.

Yeah weight advantage doesn't make any difference when a wrestleboxer fights a striker with suspect wrestling defense.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I.N.R.I posted:

thats a stupid thing to say

consider that attempting to aggravate a man into giving you millions of dollars is in fact not stupid when you're a prize fighter

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Fatherdog, can we get a word filter to replace Jon Jones with J*n J*nes? Since he's the Tom Brady of the sport, and all?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

consider that attempting to aggravate a man into giving you millions of dollars is in fact not stupid when you're a prize fighter

im not talking about his supposed motive for saying it, im talking about the actual words that are coming out of his mouth

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

im not talking about his supposed motive for saying it, im talking about the actual words that are coming out of his mouth

yeah i'm sure you could point to eddie saying conor 'can't fight for poo poo' and then link to several conor fights with timestamps where you can see conor fighting for poo poo and your argument would be very strong but everyone would probably think you're a weirdo

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
???????

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

when a man says to another man, a literal world champion with highlight reel knockouts of very well known good fighters, that he 'can't fight for poo poo', perhaps you should not be debating the correctness of the statement and instead focus on the intent, which most would interpret to be 'fight me for millions of dollars please'.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

His point is that its bad poo poo talk, if you're trying to make a poo poo load of money you should try harder.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah weight advantage doesn't make any difference when a wrestleboxer fights a striker with suspect wrestling defense.

I was commenting on the fact that Conor losing to Diaz, and Diaz being big, isn't relevant to Alvarez. Obviously a weight advantage matters overall but the Diaz fight is a poor correlation for anything to do with Alvarez. The Mendez fight is an example where Conor could struggle against a heavy wrestler.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

when a man says to another man, a literal world champion with highlight reel knockouts of very well known good fighters, that he 'can't fight for poo poo', perhaps you should not be debating the correctness of the statement and instead focus on the intent, which most would interpret to be 'fight me for millions of dollars please'.

Its partially a ploy but he also probably kinda thinks its true. Alvarez goes into detail about how Conor is overrated, everyone knows that the UFC gave him favorable matchups because they knew hed be popular, and he would lose to a good wrestler. All of which are things that lots of people unironically believe including probably Eddie

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I was commenting on the fact that Conor losing to Diaz, and Diaz being big, isn't relevant to Alvarez. Obviously a weight advantage matters overall but the Diaz fight is a poor correlation for anything to do with Alvarez. The Mendez fight is an example where Conor could struggle against a heavy wrestler.

It mattered when Diaz easily pushed Conor to the fence and beat him up there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

Its partially a ploy but he also probably kinda thinks its true. Alvarez goes into detail about how Conor is overrated, everyone knows that the UFC gave him favorable matchups because they knew hed be popular, and he would lose to a good wrestler. All of which are things that lots of people unironically believe including probably Eddie

it's why i also think it's good trash talk. arguments can be made for conor being overrated, weak against wrestlers and matched up favorably on his way up. the correctness of these things are up for debate but i bet that these things are argued at all would stick in conor's craw.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Alvarez vs Conor would be an extremely cool fight probably.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It mattered when Diaz easily pushed Conor to the fence and beat him up there.

Possibly. Or maybe Diaz could do that because had more height/leverage. They're too different to know which is the point.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm glad Eddie took out RDA and regained the trust of the people after losing them with a few fence pushing split decisions to get into contention

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/763106953757351938?s=04

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

perhaps you sholuld climb into a garbage can and live in there from now on instead of accusing me of "debating" which im going to assume is some kind of american terminology for a sex crime

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

perhaps you sholuld climb into a garbage can and live in there from now on instead of accusing me of "debating" which im going to assume is some kind of american terminology for a sex crime

:)

that's cool

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I remember when I thought Rumble was going to be the guy who finally ended GSP's reign then he missed weight a bunch of times and got choked by Josh Koschek.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/ufc-bantamweight-ning-guangyou-tests-positive-for-banned-substance-will-not-face-suspension

Looks like a fighter actually succeeded swaying USADA with the "tainted meat" defense.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

mmmm Clenbuterol meat

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

JaySB posted:

mmmm Clenbuterol meat
In China? I believe it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

its very possible in china and theres precedent for athletes getting away with that defense after testing positive for it in china too

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
roman kreuziger is a cycling example, he tested positive at the tour of beijing and eventually was cleared of it. like i personally dont know how much clenbuterol you have to accidentally ingest for it to show up in your blood but modern tests will show a positive for extremely miniscule amounts of it

edot sorry it was michael rogers not roman kreuziger and it was at a japanese race but it was allegedly because of eating chinese meat

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 10, 2016

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Shumagorath posted:

I remember when I thought Rumble was going to be the guy who finally ended GSP's reign then he missed weight a bunch of times and got choked by Josh Koschek.

Rumble losing to Koscheck is still so funny to me. The fact that he could make 170 at all is insane though when you see him at 205

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He also lost to Rich Clementi further proving that you can beat any roided monster by grabbing his toes and holding them really hard

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Not trying to pick on that, but where would you place Koscheck among the all time WWs at this point? I know its stupid sorry already if you dont want to talk about this. he existed in the era where it was going to be Hughes still, BJ returning as champion, or GSP, which every sensible (not me) person thought. Obviously he would've crushed hughes. Probably more one sided but duller before he honed his one punch than when they really fought. BJ, who knows. Thats another pointless but interesting to me discussion. If GSP hadn't been around, I guess BJ would've come back and lost to hughes. If Kos wasn't champ for at least a little bit because of GSP I think he gets to be in the discussion of great WWS a little bit.

I always hated him, and his fights were the worst. I never rewatched any Koscheck fights where he won, except the Hendricks fight. But I remember feeling like he had the most fluid, fast, strong, well-executed shots I'd ever seen, at certain times.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 10, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

Not trying to pick on that, but where would you place Koscheck among the all time WWs at this point? I know its stupid sorry already if you dont want to talk about this. he existed in the era where it was going to be Hughes still, BJ returning as champion, or GSP, which every sensible (not me) person thought. Obviously he would've crushed hughes. Probably more one sided but duller before he honed his one punch than when they really fought. BJ, who knows. Thats another pointless but interesting to me discussion. If GSP hadn't been around, I guess BJ would've come back and lost to hughes. If Kos wasn't champ for at least a little bit because of GSP I think he gets to be in the discussion of great WWS a little bit.

I always hated him, and his fights were the worst. I never rewatched any Koscheck fights where he won, except the Hendricks fight. But I remember feeling like he had the most fluid, fast, strong, well-executed shots I'd ever seen, at certain times.

he could conceivably have beaten any ww of his era not named gsp. if gsp never existed, i strongly believe he would have been a champion, and regarded as a solid champ, but not quite an all-time great.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
koscheck/bj would have been a real interesting fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

he could conceivably have beaten any ww of his era not named gsp. if gsp never existed, i strongly believe he would have been a champion, and regarded as a solid champ, but not quite an all-time great.

OK forget the all time great thing. List the guys ahead of him. Newton, Hughes, Gsp, Bj, Lawler

• Locked thread