Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
american animosity towards europe in this whole affair is so funny to read about,
when you've taken in absolute poo poo in terms of numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Tesseraction posted:

I do find it quaint how you lot love to deliberately use the word 'migrant' to imply 'economic migrant' instead of 'refugee' since that would imply some expression of common humanity.

What term would be acceptable for someone who travels across Europe to register as refugee and then after deciding that free food, housing and money is not good enough, buys their own plane ticket and flies back to Iraq?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, I'd like to see our country take in any that aren't outright terrorists or criminals, so I have a right to poo poo on Europe's xenophobia.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Wild Horses posted:

american animosity towards europe in this whole affair is so funny to read about,

Yeah, when the main cause of this problem is the US and the Iraq war, it's a little bold for them to be offering criticism across their Atlantic moat.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

doverhog posted:

Yeah, when the main cause of this problem is the US and the Iraq war, it's a little bold for them to be offering criticism across their Atlantic moat.

It's a combination of problems, IS is part of it for sure, but the Arab spring is probably the biggest reason as it lead to the civil war in the first place.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Otoh middle eastern despots use that exact narrative to excuse their oppression.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Otoh middle eastern despots use that exact narrative to excuse their oppression.

I'm not saying the Arab spring is bad. It was good. Assad refusing to hand over power was bad. But it is the catalyst that started the civil war.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's a combination of problems, IS is part of it for sure, but the Arab spring is probably the biggest reason as it lead to the civil war in the first place.

Assad's reaction led to the Civil War.

Take a look at Jordan to see how a halfway competent monarch could handle the Arab Spring protests without losing his throne nor turning his country in a battlefield. It wasn't even that much, the situation is still pretty much the status quo, but there were some symbolic acts (changing the cabinet, promising some reforms (that ended up never happening) and advancing the date for the next scheduled elections). That was enough to make the protests subside. Contrast with Syria, where Assad's handling of the protests was to call the protestors terrorists and to order the army to fire in the crowd...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cat Mattress posted:

No, Britain and Spain and Poland worked very hard to be part of Bush Jr.'s Crusade, while France worked very hard to prevent it. Maybe try remembering history accurately? That this poo poo would happen -- that Iraq would turn into a terrorist hive -- was very high in the arguments used by France to tell the Americans they were being stupid fuckup dumbasses. The result was a bunch of Axis of Weasels, Freedom Fries, and Surrendering Monkeys propaganda; and now that it has been demonstrated that the French were 100% right and accurate about Bush's war in Iraq, you're loving blaming them for it? gently caress off you idiot.

The current French participation in combat operations in Iraq is at the behest of the Iraqi government; just like the operation in Mali was at the behest of the Malian government. It's only the operations in Syria that are done outside of a clear mandate from the host country, and they only got there very late after the US had been doing it for a long while and after Daesh had demonstrated that it was absolutely necessary to strike them in Syria as well if you wanted to get rid of them in Iraq, since they cross the border easily.

And the intervention in Syria has allowed the Syrian Democratic Forces to liberate nearly all of the northern part of the country from the iron rule of the terrorists. I am not going to say it's a bad thing and we should have allowed terrorists with a medieval perception of justice and society to take over two entire countries.

There have been more interventions in the Middle East than just Bush Jr's Iraq war. At least since Libya France has jumped at the opportunity to drop bombs. I'm not really seeing the point where only the Iraq War or conflicts that France wasn't involved in destabilised the Middle East. The ME has been on this path since at least the end of WWI where it was arbitrarily split up between Britain and France. France's involvement, be it their taking their part of the pie, their involvement in the Suez crisis, or their current involvement is all part of the greater problem called "western military interventions in the Middle East". France wasn't part of that every single step of the way, but it has decidedly been part of it, historically, and in the present time. Again; part of it. I brought it up as an example, not to single it out as bearing greater responsibility than other involved countries. If you feel like I did that then you're wrong.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Assad's reaction led to the Civil War.

Take a look at Jordan to see how a halfway competent monarch could handle the Arab Spring protests without losing his throne nor turning his country in a battlefield. It wasn't even that much, the situation is still pretty much the status quo, but there were some symbolic acts (changing the cabinet, promising some reforms (that ended up never happening) and advancing the date for the next scheduled elections). That was enough to make the protests subside. Contrast with Syria, where Assad's handling of the protests was to call the protestors terrorists and to order the army to fire in the crowd...

I think we both agree here.

I'm saying that the civil war has a lot more to do with the refugees than ISIS which mostly controls large tracts of wasteland with very few people there.

ISIS you can blame at least partly on the USA. The civil war is not our fault.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This idea that Europe should be absolved of hosting refugees because "Were just too rich and progressive!" :qq: is so hilarious that I can't believe people are saying that with straight faces. As if refugee policies have ever been about how lucrative the refugees are to the host nation or how culturally compatible they are to the host nation's original population.

It is not something that has never helped us. Millions and millions and millions of European refugees have ran to other nations since Europe was ever a concept. Sometimes willingly taken by the other nations, sometimes not. Usually at much bigger cost to the native populations. The whole modern concept of refugee legislation was built because of a massive number of European refugees, larger then now. Some of those refugees are still alive and I bet they are not such big babies about this.

Were not guiltless. Between climate change, the exploitation of international companies, de-colonization gently caress-ups, clandestine and open support of dictatorships and endless military interventions and occupations we have contributed to the chaotic bloody situation in this countries. This is not a controversial or new fact to anyone who is not deluded.

It is not something that other countries are not expected to do. Eighty percent of refugees are hosted by developing nations. The relative cost, demographic changes, and societal issues refugees have caused in those countries make Europes issues look like nothing. The rest of the world has always , and continues to actually deal with the world's refugee problem. Europe is expected to contribute.

Most people arriving are actual refugees. The universal reality that a minority of people are unwilling to recognize widely verified and globally accepted statistics and news does not change this fact. Neither do the arbitrary law changes or statements of single countries. So some people exploit the system? Some people that come do crimes? Is this something that has not happened before? No? Why does the system need to be scrapped when Europe has to deal with it now?

Terrorism in Europe is for the vast, vast majority committed European born nationals, by fringe movements and ideologies funded by European (and world) addiction to oil, armed by European weapons sales and given spark by military conflicts in which European nations have, directly and indirectly contributed to. Blaming refugees for it because of their religion is more far-fetched then blaming the average European tax-payer and voter for their generous help to say, the Saudis.

It is not something that was hoisted on Europe. Refugee legislation was created because of European refugees. Europe was instrumental in creating it. European refugees have been taken in by other nations. European nations are signatories to this legislation. EU and its individual countries have been lecturing to the rest of the world to take better care of refugees since this legislation was created. I know each individual sentence makes some people progressively angry but these are real things that have happened in real world and you don't get to dismiss them.

But good news, thanks to EU's massive unprecented diplomatic, military and financial effort it's managed to slow the refugee flow to a 25% of what it was a year ago (personally I don't agree with the methods, still doesn't change the reality). It has dealt with refugees in far better, faster and humane way then any other place. It has the resources and ability to do this because it is the richest continent in the world. And with a good fifth of the world's wealth, we have three percent of its refugees which is not a bad deal.

Were still getting off easy. It isn't even the first time Europe had dealt with this poo poo and holy gently caress are we better off now. Just deal with the realities of the modern world and our place in it and find your stress lowering by the day!

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 9, 2016

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

But the strain!on social services!will collapse!
*votes austerity forever*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

This idea that Europe should be absolved

Were not guiltless.

Were still getting off easy.

Kinda playing right into the right wing narrative with this language. Not that I disagree but I think there is something to be said for efficiency in accepting refugees, and spending Europe style welfare dollars for each person who manages to walk to the border might not be the best solution for the most people.

Has anyone here heard about Canadian neighborhoods sponsorships for refugees?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

DarkCrawler posted:

This idea that Europe should be absolved of hosting refugees because "Were just too rich and progressive!" :qq: is so hilarious that I can't believe people are saying that with straight faces.

That really does sound hilarious which is why nobody ever said it. You will now probably roll your eyes and say something like "you know what I mean" or "they didn't say or but they meant it" or whatever. I would suggest instead that you try arguing against actual positions, not against imaginary, hilarious ones.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor Malaver posted:

That really does sound hilarious which is why nobody ever said it. You will now probably roll your eyes and say something like "you know what I mean" or "they didn't say or but they meant it" or whatever. I would suggest instead that you try arguing against actual positions, not against imaginary, hilarious ones.

"Our standard of living is too high for hosting refugees" and "Our culture is incompatible with the backwards culture of the refugees" are both things that have been said and are the exact same ridicolous things in more words. You're welcome to challenge that.

I would suggest you read and adress posts beyond the first sentence that triggers you but judging from this post I know it has a high likelihood of not happening.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The most humanitarian refugee policy is any policy that bars refugees from coming to Europe, as Europe is highly allergic to any peoples of vaguely Middle Eastern pedigree, and will break out in death camps if they keep coming.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The most humanitarian refugee policy is any policy that bars refugees from coming to Europe, as Europe is highly allergic to any peoples of vaguely Middle Eastern pedigree, and will break out in death camps if they keep coming.

Joke or not, we are literally at a point where there are more than a few hundred people calling for concentration camps. Probably not a significant number, but the discourse has went through a hard shift this year. For example, Swedish politicians were describing Sweden as a "immigrant country" less than a year ago, but at our annual political get together in Gotland this summer it was all about nationalism and "Swedish values". Nationalism is definitely on the rise in Europe, and I'm guessing it doesn't include muslims.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DarkCrawler posted:

Were not guiltless. Between climate change, the exploitation of international companies, de-colonization gently caress-ups, clandestine and open support of dictatorships and endless military interventions and occupations we have contributed to the chaotic bloody situation in this countries. This is not a controversial or new fact to anyone who is not deluded.

Were still getting off easy. It isn't even the first time Europe had dealt with this poo poo and holy gently caress are we better off now. Just deal with the realities of the modern world and our place in it and find your stress lowering by the day!

I'm sure this is what terrorists tell themselves before they go on to gun down cafés, bomb stadiums, brutally stabs and tortures a Westerner. They are all guilty, they deserve it, it's their fault.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Refugees have nothing to do with that friend.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kurtofan posted:

I'm sure this is what terrorists tell themselves before they go on to gun down cafés, bomb stadiums, brutally stabs and tortures a Westerner. They are all guilty, they deserve it, it's their fault.

Just because something is true doesn't mean it's OK to kill for it, buddy! European countries are at fault in many things, stating this reality doesn't mean wanting them dead unless you are a crazy person. Drop the pearl clutching hysterics.

We're getting off easy compared to other regions. Turkey has three million refugees with ten percent of Europe's population. You are aware what "easy" means?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 9, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

DarkCrawler posted:

"Our standard of living is too high for hosting refugees" and "Our culture is incompatible with the backwards culture of the refugees" are both things that have been said and are the exact same ridicolous things in more words. You're welcome to challenge that.

I would suggest you read and adress posts beyond the first sentence that triggers you but judging from this post I know it has a high likelihood of not happening.

Nobody argues that their standard of living is too high to accept refugees. You invent a quote and when you're called on it you try to shift the burden on proof on that person. That's not how it works. It's up to you to prove that people are saying that, it's not up to me to prove that they aren't. You can't prove a negative.

The rest of your post did have valid points but yes the bullshit opening did trigger me. If you don't want people to focus on bullshit part of your posts then don't have bullshit parts.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

What term would be acceptable for someone who travels across Europe to register as refugee and then after deciding that free food, housing and money is not good enough, buys their own plane ticket and flies back to Iraq?

One less dole bludger? :v: I'd figure you'd only give a poo poo about terrists if they were maimgoring Europeans.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor Malaver posted:

Nobody argues that their standard of living is too high to accept refugees. You invent a quote and when you're called on it you try to shift the burden on proof on that person. That's not how it works. It's up to you to prove that people are saying that, it's not up to me to prove that they aren't. You can't prove a negative.

The rest of your post did have valid points but yes the bullshit opening did trigger me. If you don't want people to focus on bullshit part of your posts then don't have bullshit parts.

The last pages have been almost exclusively about the meaningless economical argument about accepting refugees. The argument that it is more cost effective to have them in camps in poor countries (or just in poor countries period) because the standard of living, with the associated things like requirements for employment, education costs, welfare support etc. in European nations is higher, gets repeated every time this comes up.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Taking in refugees is obviously independent of economic value they may or may not create.

Housing refugees is directly mandated by the teachings of Jesus and therefore part of the Christian foundation of many European nations. Furthermore, it seems to me very obviously basic to any humanist social ethos that is not hypocritic ie. poo poo. So if our European values are worth their poo poo in any way, the refugee ROI is not important.

That being said, we SHOULD try to increase the ROI. Saying that refugees can not become engineers because they don't have a Bologna Bachelor or whatever is not really an insurmountable issue. Just because we educate technical workers normally around 16-18 years old, we could also make the system more flexible. This, by the way, would be very beneficial to the job market on the whole, because in the future increasing education mobility is absolutely necessary.
So as always, this disadvantage can also turn out to become an advantage. Remember Germany being so poo poo at everything they had to do big reforms and everyone was like "ugh, look at Germany being all poor and terrible at making big bucks".

Anyway, the core issue is that the majority of peeps in my country don't actually think that brown people refugees are actual human beings. It sounds funny but it's literally true.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
The thing about Europe is that it's insanely racist but everyone pretends otherwise.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

drilldo squirt posted:

The thing about Europe is that it's insanely racist but everyone pretends otherwise.

Only if "everyone" is "left-wing American". We may not prioritize it in the same way as Americans but that's only because we have a long history of finding so many other wonderful ways of hating people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drilldo squirt posted:

Sorry, Europe should upgrade its racism to Australian or American level I guess.

That way the incoming refugees could be sent to some off-shore rape camp, while those who are already in would just get killed by the police. Problem solved.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
America is actually a lot better at immigrants than Europe., Im sorry europe is not the best at everything. Also it's kinda ironic you are comparing it to Australia, from an outside perspective their isn't much difference between what you are doing and what Australia is.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Puistokemisti posted:

At the moment they are called refugees.

Wild Horses posted:

Agreed. I also find it funny when people say that countries that didn't take part in Iraqi War or Syrian Civil War etc. should fix everything.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Except for the australia rape camps, Europe is Just like australia. Europe is massivelly racist,but its more about gps tribalism.for exemple i loving loathe people living north of the 39th paralel, and thats like half of my country.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
The European built their wealth from looting the world and now some of that world is running away from the dumpster fire you left behind and Europeans are loosing their goddam mind over it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"loosing"

The place is a racist shithole though. I can't believe the poo poo I'm reading online from people living around here. Straight up Nazi propaganda.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Except for the australia rape camps, Europe is Just like australia. Europe is massivelly racist,but its more about gps tribalism.for exemple i loving loathe people living north of the 39th paralel, and thats like half of my country.

Europe is doing everything it can to keep refugees in third world camps and they know what those places are like.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

"loosing"

The place is a racist shithole though. I can't believe the poo poo I'm reading online from people living around here. Straight up Nazi propaganda.

It fun as an American to watch the pretense of an inclusive liberal Europe fall apart as soon as there was a chance of scary brown people showing up.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

drilldo squirt posted:

It fun as an American to watch the pretense of an inclusive liberal Europe fall apart as soon as there was a chance of scary brown people showing up.

To be honest there's a fair bit of xenophobia in Western Europe against a Eastern Europe as well, so it's not just skin color. Reading some of the British press on Bulgarians and Romanians was an eye opening experience for me. Not that Eastern Europeans are any better.

Everyone everywhere is a tribalist oval office, pretty much.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

The US is one very unpopular woman away from electing an authoritarian reality tv star because he ran on a platform of throwing out Mexicans who've integrated pretty seamlessly into American society, but sure, it's Europe that deserves to be mocked for handling a far more abrupt influx from a far more dissimilar region which could have a far greater impact on their way of life a bit less gracefully than you think they should.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Yes, because in Europe you are already electing them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sinteres posted:

The US is one very unpopular woman away from electing an authoritarian reality tv star because he ran on a platform of throwing out Mexicans who've integrated pretty seamlessly into American society, but sure, it's Europe that deserves to be mocked for handling a far more abrupt influx from a far more dissimilar region which could have a far greater impact on their way of life a bit less gracefully than you think they should.

America is literally a nation of immigrants.

At least 13.7% of Americans were born outside of the USA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/28/us-foreign-born-population-nears-high/72814674/

Even more when you consider illegal immigrants. And even way more if you consider people with a parent or grandparent that is an immigrant.

Yes. We can mock your nativism.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

Yes, because in Europe you are already electing them.

I'm American.

Nitrousoxide posted:

At least 13.7% of Americans were born outside of the USA.

If a massive percentage of them suddenly showed up from Syria in a two year time frame, the next US President would make Trump look like Merkel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

I'm American.

If a massive percentage of them suddenly showed up from Syria in a two year time frame, the next US President would make Trump look like Merkel.

I don't know dude with all the minorities here angry white people can't really do whatever they want anymore so I feel a lot safer here than in Germany where they ignore neo nazis going on a killing sprees.