Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

Also, why is it so much harder for me to win the league than the Champions League? My last 2 saves I've won the CL a year before winning the PL

Is it because you have more trouble breaking down poo poo teams with 10 behind the ball than going toe to toe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Is it because you have more trouble breaking down poo poo teams with 10 behind the ball than going toe to toe?

Generally not, my team seems to get complacent with the really poo poo teams but mostly I only lose if it's a massive margin against the big teams in the league, despite being able to beat them on the continent.
I'll lose like 5-0 away to Arsenal, 4-0 at home to Man U, and then beat both 2-1 agg in the CL or something. This last season I had my best result in the league and finished 2nd, 3 points off the top of the league and like 8 clear of 3rd, but won the CL and FA Cup 3-0. Last season I made the final of both FA Cup and CL, and barely scraped CL qualification in the league. Idk.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hmmm sounds like it's your tactics mate

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

It's actually because I have a pirated turkish copy

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've finally found a tactic that I'm really happy with though, and it's a bit weird which makes me love it even more. Reminds me of in like 08 when you could just drag formation arrows all over the shop and the engine would crap out and your players would be unmarked all the time ftw

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Generally not, my team seems to get complacent with the really poo poo teams but mostly I only lose if it's a massive margin against the big teams in the league, despite being able to beat them on the continent.
I'll lose like 5-0 away to Arsenal, 4-0 at home to Man U, and then beat both 2-1 agg in the CL or something. This last season I had my best result in the league and finished 2nd, 3 points off the top of the league and like 8 clear of 3rd, but won the CL and FA Cup 3-0. Last season I made the final of both FA Cup and CL, and barely scraped CL qualification in the league. Idk.

The ai is bad at squad rotation and struggles in midweek.

Alternatively you suck at squad rotation and struggle at weekends.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

sassassin posted:

In FM17 we're going to have to hire player liaisons, data analysts and sports scientists.

I wish I could be certain this was a joke.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

I wish I could be certain this was a joke.

It's not a joke.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

gently caress me what do I have to do to get world class players to sign for me, I'm playing as Sunderland and I've won the league twice in a row (second the year before) won the FA Cup both times, won the Europa league a few years before that and various other silverware and whenever I try to sign any player that's about 4/5 stars they're never interested. Does the option to try and convince them by talking to them ever work?

This does seem unrealistic but then again I look at the (non) signing Leicester has made IRL and I wonder.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Can't wait for more crap advice we already get from the rear end man and the coaches from the data analysts.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I can't wait to have some Opta Joe knockoff smug oval office filling my inbox with shite like "Your pass completion in that match was 92%. Slick." as if it wasn't bad enough being asked about your tackling proficiency percentage every fortnight for 12 years

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Has anyone here played the NBA game and its career mode? I don't love basketball but a new sports simulator would be cool to take a break from FM.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Mandalay posted:

Has anyone here played the NBA game and its career mode? I don't love basketball but a new sports simulator would be cool to take a break from FM.

What NBA game? I do love basketball. Did SI make a basketball sim?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I believe he is refering to NBAs 2K myCareer and assosciation mode.

Mycareer/myplayer is loving sick and you negotiate contracts, sign for teams, get endorsements, rgularly hi milestones, give inteviews yhat affect how much fans/teams/owners like you which affects endoresements and $$$.

The fifa myplayer thing will be a lovely shallow immitation of this since EA has no idea how to do a myplayer mode with anyore depth than *lock camera on player*

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Agreed that myCareer is totally sick and awesome.

The GM mode is pretty broken easy. You should have a team of all stars by the end of your first season, the best ten players in the league by year two. The AI is insanely bad with trades and understanding contracts. Not worth it if you want to sim things. But it's still sick as hell if you just want to dunk some AI fools.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I play a 4-3-3 and got a FB with 17 crossing. I play with an AP as CF, two wide support Wingers who are by far my best players. They can play inside foward as well, and one can be a trequesta both with two bars off full.

I want my FB to cross a ton....how do I make that happen while preserving the ability of my wingers to create and finish?

Usually do LW(s)-CF(a)-RW (s) / CM(s), AP(a), DLP(d)/ LB(s) BPP(d) CB(d) RB(my new guy)

im afraid if i ask for overlap or set him to attacking it will diminish the role of my wings and ill have a winger and my fb sitting in the same spot in attack...

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 12, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wingers get into the box in the final third no matter what you do. Plenty of space for a fullback to advance into on the wings.

You probably want your fullbacks crossing from the byline. Gives support for the centre forward more time to arrive than early crosses from deep.

DLP-D on the right is enough defensive cover to push the right back on as much as you want.

Don't use "look for overlap" as it adds a bunch of hidden stuff that blunts your wingers/cms attacking play. Just set the fb instructions appropriately to begin with.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Looks for overlap owns with inside forwards, but if they're poo poo at passing and shooting then maybe don't do that. I'd give your RB individual instructions to get forward more and hug the line, and maybe cross from byline if he's a decent dribbler too.

This is my formation that gets lots of use from good crossing fullbacks:

There's a few individual player instructions too:
SK set to distribute to CBs and roll it out, FBs set to cross from byline, BWM set to more direct passing, IFs to shoot more, roam from position, sit narrow and close down much more, and AMs to hold position and hold up ball.

It basically works that the IFs are your strikers, coming inside off the wing to find opportunities, and the AMs pair up to draw CBs up field and open gaps, and overload the midfield to find passes in behind for the IFs. The FBs then come up into the wide areas and whip crosses in or help hold possession. The front four will all swap positions quite a lot, and ideally the wingers and ams will be both set to swap positions with each other, making it a stupidly fluid system up front like Ronald, Tevez and Rooney era United.
In midfield, the DLP drifts around finding short passes to recycle possession, and the BWM kicks people a lot, but also breaks forward to score quite a few from the edge of the box.

These are the 3 most important players in my system, a wide striker, an AM, and the DLP. The only real other thing to look out for is to make sure the BWM, aside from having decent defensive attributes, also knows where the goal is.

Zach Clough, Marcelo Meli and Sam Byram are also all good examples of the sort of player useful for that position

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 13, 2016

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
awesome thanks

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

sassassin posted:

In FM17 we're going to have to hire player liaisons, data analysts and sports scientists.

The board are disappointed by your social media strategy, and expect you to post 3 Twitter messages and gain 7 Facebook friends by the end of the month.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

You've turned on the two settings that tell your players to ignore your instructions.

Full-backs on automatic lol

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

You've turned on the two settings that tell your players to ignore your instructions.

shots fired

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

2 CL finals in a row tell me I'm doing something right

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You bought Balanta you dirty cheat.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

iirc I actually spent big money on him and it took him like 3 or 4 years to stop making really costly mistakes. Marcelo Meli is probably the most important player I've bought

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Irrationally excited for the new FM game now that the Premier League season has begun. The hype cycle continues..

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Irrationally excited for the new FM game now that the Premier League season has begun. The hype cycle continues..

Theyre gunna add advanced stats

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't wait until an essential part of the FM experience is hiring unpaid intern social media experts to run your club's Snapchat.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

What do you mean, expressive and roaming? That's not ignoring instructions, that's just them lookin for big passes beyond role instruction, and open space to attack when it opens up, those are his instructions!

You have to be careful with those instructions but it's not like they are inherently bad, you are just a really conservative manager Sassy. These tactics have their place as long as it's not your plan A B and C.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Expressive" is a flat Flair modifier which effects every aspect of a player's behaviour (high flair in general is bad if you want to see if your tactics actually work, or it's just your players being good).

They're not inherently bad instructions, it's just funny to see people post tactics with a dozen very specific instructions ticked and then the "just go have fun and run about a bit" Redknapp buttons ticked at the end. You could turn off half of them and probably see no difference (low crosses, run at defence, work ball into box...)

I'm pretty sure that tactic evens out to be Attacking - Standard with retain possession ticked (roaming doesn't work on half the roles in the team anyway).

Has anyone seen Prevent short distribution ever do anything? Last I heard it was a dummy button like Sweeper Keeper.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

sassassin posted:

Has anyone seen Prevent short distribution ever do anything? Last I heard it was a dummy button like Sweeper Keeper.

I have it on most of my instructions and only once have I seen it work on extended highlights, it was a poor distribution by the keeper that was forced by the cf closing him down that then lead to a to goal.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

sassassin posted:

I have definitely seen this work....whether I have it checked or not. It doesn't seem to actually influence behavior, sometimes players close down/press in that situation, sometimes they don't

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Oh yeah I agree that people have too many conflicting instructions that cancel each other out, especially since many instructions are essentially just tempo modifiers, but I disagree that those ones are redknapp run about a bit things.

There's an art to gettin good players to actually consistently break down teams, and letting players have that freedom needs some thought put into it elsewhere, for example the tip you gave about having a DLP-D on your attacking wingback side. It requires a refined tactic it's not just about telling your good players to do whatever, you'd be surprised at how many players can get a top team relegated for no reason.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Lol sassy, the three ones you mention being able to turn off with no difference actually make a huge difference, and make the tactic more effective. Idk about the prevent short distribution one working, I've always been skeptical about it doing anything but it does seem to push one of the AMs higher when the opposition have possession in defence a bit more frequently, although if you've got an actual striker on the pitch it barely changes anything. The more expressive and roam from position buttons don't just tell your players to ignore your instructions, more expressive requests that players try lower percentage options, and roam from position means that your players are less structured, which is good because I want them all to move across the pitch to open up areas for the lower percentage options to work better. It does also mean that if say, your fullback pushes forward and central more than expected, someone will drop into the space to cover him, rather than ensuring they stay in their own position.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I have scored a few goals from the ball rebounding straight off a striker as he closes a GK down. But then, I also often play with specific Opposition instructions to close down GKs, which demonstrably works, so I'm not sure 'Stop Short Distribution' does a lot.

As for tactics and Player Instructions, I don't think any of my players have specific instructions set. Mostly because I play a 4-4-2 and that means that you kind of need players to be roughly in their part of the pitch to give whoever has the ball some options. I think in the past I've tried fiddling with 'Cross Low', but never really noticed the difference on Key highlights, and now I've got strikers who can jump and head the ball, so there's no point.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Cross Low and Cross Near Post combine to not really actually put crosses in and just pass to someone at the near post, which works out 70% of the time with them blasting it at the keeper from a terrible angle, but the rest of the time managing to slot it in from inside the 6 yard box

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

more expressive requests that players try lower percentage options, and roam from position means that your players are less structured

More/Less expressive is literally just a team-wide Flair modifier. High flair makes players ignore instruction and common sense to just do whatever (and depend on their technical ability to hope it works).

Roam from positions turns on Roam from position for all player roles that already allow that option.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Everyone who scored in the PL this weekend is going to be real good in FM17.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can't wait for Payet and Calleri to destroy the league, both in FM17 and irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

More/Less expressive is literally just a team-wide Flair modifier. High flair makes players ignore instruction and common sense to just do whatever (and depend on their technical ability to hope it works).

Roam from positions turns on Roam from position for all player roles that already allow that option.

yes.