Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Govt DDOS itself to bury the Nauru files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just read the comments if you want to know how most Australians, if pressed, will react:

- We're stopping thousands of people dying at sea
- They're just economic migrants anyway
- All the bleeding heart greenies working there encourage them to hurt themselves so they come to Australia
- It's the other asylum seekers who are the pedophiles and we don't want people like that coming here
- I'm a stupid racist piece of poo poo and my butt stinks and I like to smell my own butt

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

freebooter posted:

Just read the comments if you want to know how most Australians, if pressed, will react:

- We're stopping thousands of people dying at sea
- They're just economic migrants anyway
- All the bleeding heart greenies working there encourage them to hurt themselves so they come to Australia
- It's the other asylum seekers who are the pedophiles and we don't want people like that coming here
- I'm a stupid racist piece of poo poo and my butt stinks and I like to smell my own butt

Sadly unless you are part of the minority of Australian's who need to see this systematic cruelty changed, you will be swayed towards one of the above justifications :(

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well it was the train wreck we had to have I suppose. Following on from the entire Privacy PR trainwreck the ABS immediately faceplanted a jumbo jet full of their own hubris into the still smouldering wreckage. Well loving done muppets!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-10/could-our-privacy-be-at-risk-after-census-hack/7712442

quote:

Census: Privacy not 'absolutely' safe after website attack from overseas hackers, expert says Updated 19 minutes ago Rob Livingstone

Data breaches or malware attacks could have also occurred during the four denial of service (DOS) attacks that led to the shutting down of the census website last night, a technology expert says. These kinds of attacks overload a website by simulating lots of users trying to access the site at the same time. During a DOS attack, "you may have some malware or some hacking which is separate to the denial of service", according to University of Technology Sydney fellow and IT expert Rob Livingstone. "[In a DOS attack] they just want to take the site down and render it unavailable. A data breach, from a privacy perspective, is not usually associated with a DOS attack," he said. "But, you can't say absolutely that privacy is not a risk because with the internet, as soon as you expose yourself to the outside world, anything can happen."

This morning, the Australian Bureau of Statistics' (ABS) David Kalisch assured Australians "that the data they provided is safe". (Is this like the guarantee that the census site is 100% bullet proof and won't fail or the one about never being hacked and having appropriate countermeasures in place? Because I can't quite keep up with the shear tonnage of loving bullshit spewing from your gob anymore David.)

In the lead-up to census night, the ABS spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on load testing and said its servers could handle 1 million forms per hour.(As others have pointed out this level of innumeracy in a statistician is deeply concerning) Mr Livingstone said proper risk assessment and the implementing of counter measures should prevent DOS attacks from occurring. "[But] the bottom line is that the service is still down, the counter measures have not been effective," he said.

The census website was unavailable again this morning.

Earlier on Tuesday evening Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull tweeted that he had completed the census and it was "easy to do" but thousands of Australians were prevented from taking part as the ABS website crashed. The ABS had estimated that two-thirds of Australians would fill out the census online this year for the first time, rather than on paper. Mr Kalisch said he aimed to have the website up and running as soon as possible to allow people to complete their census forms. People officially have until September 23 to complete the census online, and the ABS has said people will not be fined for not completing the forms on census night.
Oh schadenfreude on a split roll batperson! Allow me to be among the first to say that a DOS attack isn't that big a deal. However to have the muppets who kept talking about 'Confident of stability on the night', '100% safe', 'never been hacked' getting their faces rubbed in it is pretty satisfying. More to the point the DOS attack may mask any number of other exploits being utilised by actual hackers to find further vulnerabilities in the IT architecture. If Kalisch and/or the minister (Micheal McCormack)doesn't resign over this they can kiss goodbye to any census data from me forever. A small threat but I'm not alone. If you make guarantees after lying like a bastard and it all goes to poo poo what is an appropriate standard to be held to? If lying alone isn't enough surely adding highly visible national disaster must start to tip the balance.

And here's our genius Minister

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...808-gqnobg.html

quote:

Minister says Census 'no worse than Facebook' as Nick Xenophon risks jail

The minister responsible for the census has compared it to Facebook, saying concern about its ability to track people is "much ado about nothing".:psyboom: (facebook is the very worst way to allay my fears about privacy MUPPET.)

Michael McCormack, who also has responsibility for small business, was responding to Senate powerbroker Nick Xenophon, who on Monday vowed to withhold his name from the census and face fines of $180 per day rather than have his name kept on file. Politicians are refusing to put their names on their census forms amid concerns about privacy and information being held on to for four years. The Bureau has announced that the names collected in this year's census will be retained instead of being thrown away after processing, as in the past. They will be used to create linkage keys, which will allow the personal information in the census to be linked to information gleaned from other surveys to provide a richer picture of those surveyed. The answers could also be linked to medical, criminal, road traffic and educational records. Although the names will be destroyed within four years, the linkage keys created from the names will be kept indefinitely.

Mr McCormack said the government would examine Senator Xenophon's proposal "in the fullness of time" but expected him to fill out his census form regardless. "I think we're making far too much of this, names and addresses and privacy breaches," he said. "Anybody with a supermarket loyalty card, anybody who does tap-and-go, anybody who buys things online, they provide more information indeed probably to what is available to ABS staff." (Oh double down on being a muppet you MUPPET a very bad further analogy that makes the point against you more eloquently than you imagine.) "I note with some humour really that many people are going on Twitter and Facebook making various comments about the Bureau of Statistics, about the census, and about me as well, when in fact wherever they go, it tracks you, on your Facebook account, so I can't really see what the big deal is. I think sometimes it's much ado about nothing." (Keep up with the yucks today MUPPET) Reminded that the census was compulsory, whereas Facebook and Twitter were not, Mr McCormack said the census had to be compulsory "to allow the government and the Bureau to track people, and for governments to get the raw data so that we can provide the sorts of infrastructure". :psyboom: (Way to not answer the question in good faith MUPPET)

The Bureau's chief, David Kalisch, said people were more likely to tell the truth if they had to provide their names. :psyboom: (Yes exactly the opposite of what every previous study into this very issue has found. Including several conducted by the ABS - RESIGN MUPPET)

Senator Xenophon said the knowledge that the names would be retained and turned into keys used to track them might make people less likely to tell the truth on census forms. He warned that it could be "financially crippling" for others to follow his lead. He would have to think about whether he went to jail rather than pay the fines. Mr McCormack said Mr Kalisch had briefed Senator Xenophon late in the day and believed his position had softened. "I am sure he will be better informed, and I look forward to him filling out the census, like the other 100 per cent of Australians should," he said. Speaking on his return to Adelaide from Canberra late on Monday, an angry Senator Xenophon said the briefing consisted of him listening on the phone for 15 minutes before catching a plane. "Listening politely to someone does not mean you agree with their position," he said.

Senators Sarah Hanson-Young and Scott Ludlam will also refuse to provide their names.

Anna Johnston, a former deputy NSW privacy commissioner, writes in Fairfax papers on Tuesday that she won't be completing the census at all because she hasn't been asked for consent to being tracked by her name. "I know that I could give the ABS misinformation instead," she writes. "But I won't do that, because I do believe in the integrity of the census data. I don't want people to have to give misinformation in order to protect themselves." Mr McCormack said the decision to retain names was taken by the Bureau rather than the government but that the government approved of it. ABS census chief Duncan Young said more than 200,000 people had already submitted their online forms. Many more had started to complete them, saved them and not yet pressed 'send'.
And this was before the plane crash into the trainwreck.

In nothing new:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/quality-of-census-data-will-be-'compromised'/7712458

quote:

Quality of census data will be 'compromised' says Andrew Leigh Wednesday 10 August 2016 6:49AM (view full episode)

Last night, the national census ended in disaster, after the Australian Bureau of Statistics website crashed, leaving millions of frustrated people unable to lodge their census forms. The Bureau's Chief Statistician, David Kalisch, says the site was taken down after four separate cyber attacks from overseas. The Government had earlier dismissed concerns about the online census as 'much ado about nothing'. Assistant Shadow Treasurer Andrew Leigh joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

Facebook you say?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-10/controversial-facebook-page-blokes-advice-shut-down/7712300

quote:

Facebook removes Blokes Advice page after anti-domestic violence petition launched By Kym Agius Updated 32 minutes ago

So far today police in Australia would have dealt with on average 327 domestic violence matters Learn more about these numbers.

Controversial Facebook page Blokes Advice has been shut down by the social media giant, however a domestic violence support group which petitioned for its closure fears replacement pages are gaining traction. Blokes Advice, an invite-only Facebook page which amassed 202,000 followers after it started in Brisbane in May, has been under fire after posts emerged saying women needed to be taught a "lesson", "gang banged" and punched in the face after oral sex. Members of the secret group also reportedly posted photos and status updates about raping women, giving out contact details of women and urging other members to send them abusive messages. Less than a fortnight ago, Facebook removed posts that violated its community standards, but allowed the page to stand as most members were not involved in the offensive content. A Facebook spokesperson however confirmed on Wednesday that the site had since been taken down. "Since the recent media coverage of this group, there has been an increase in the number of posts that do violate our policies, and consequently the group has been removed," he said. "Where there are a large number of posts in a group that violate our policies, we remove the entire group." Thousands follow new sites The Blokes Advice administration team said it was not told why the site was banned, adding that 3,500 members had come over to its new website, which was off Facebook.

Family violence support services:

1800 Respect national helpline 1800 737 732
Women's Crisis Line 1800 811 811
Men's Referral Service 1300 766 491
Lifeline (24 hour crisis line) 131 114
Relationships Australia 1300 364 277

It had also asked its members to donate towards servers, upkeep and an app, and "perhaps a television advertisement". "Freedom of speech is not a crime and we do not support anything the extremist groups say we do," they said in a statement. "This is a place for blokes to get together and be social and help each other, nothing more, nothing less." Domestic violence support group The Red Heart Campaign amassed a petition with 15,000 signatures to close the site. Organiser Sherele Moody, who received an online death threat, said aside from the website, a new invite-only Blokes Advice Facebook group had also started. "We've seen some of the sexist images of women and other disturbing misogynistic content they've been posting on the new site so we've decided to keep our petition going until it also disappears," she said. "By signing up to this new forum, Australian men will be giving legitimacy to the organisation's history of demeaning women and inciting violence against them. It's an absolute slap in the face to the one-in-three Australian women who are subjected to male physical violence and it makes a mockery of the memories of each of the 41 Aussie women who have been killed by Australian men this year. We will be doing our best to infiltrate this new site and if we find anything that demeans women or invites and encourages any type of abuse against anyone, we will contact the authorities."

<images of misogyny>

Yeah we want our ABS just like facebook. Much ado indeed.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-10/abs-website-not-attacked-or-hacked:-mccormack/7713002

quote:

The minister responsible for the census has directly contradicted the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) by saying its website was not attacked on census night, despite confirming that the site was shut down after repeated denial of service attempts.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It was not attacked, it was merely shut down after being attacked.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I know we're all capable of being angry about 2 (or more) things at once, but I suspect they made this dumb contradiction on purpose to shift the narrative away from the Nauru files.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

There was a link I saw on twitter to the Australian who appear to be reporting on Nauru papers, but I'm not going to give them my click.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

[I CSPW [REDACTED] WAS SPEAKING WITH [REDACTED] ON THE GRASS ABOVE THE SECURITY ENTRANCE OF AREA9. [REDACTED] INFORMED ME THAT HER HUSBAND [REDACTED] HAD REPORTED 4 MONTHS AGO TO HER THAT HE HAD BEEN IN A CAR WITH HIS [REDACTED] YEAR OLD SON WITH 2 NAURUAN WILSONS SECURITY OFFICERS, [REDACTED] STATED THAT ACCORDING TO [REDACTED], [REDACTED] WAS SITTING IN-BETWEEN HIMSELF AND THE SECURITY OFFICER. [REDACTED] STATED THAT THIS CAR WAS TAKING THE TWO FROM AREA9 TO IHMS RPC3. [REDACTED] ALLEDGED THAT [REDACTED] INFORMED HER THAT THEIR SON [REDACTED] HAD SAID TO [REDACTED] THAT ONE NAURUAN OFFICER HAD PUT HIS HAND UP [REDACTED] SHORTS AND WAS PLAYING WITH HIS BOTTOM. [REDACTED] THEN REPORTED THAT [REDACTED] STATED THAT HE REMOVED [REDACTED] FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE CAR AND PLACED [REDACTED] ON HIS LAP BUT DID NOT SAY ANYTHING AS HE FEARED THE TWO NAURUAN OFFICERS IN THE CAR WITH HIM. [REDACTED] INFORMED CSPW [REDACTED] THAT SHE HAD REPORTED THIS TO IMMIGRATION OFFICERS IN BRISBANE WHEN SHE WAS RECENTLY MEDIVAC'D ( WITHIN THE LAST TWO WEEKS) NOTE: RATING CHANGED BY WILSONS]

Glad that Wilsons has such great oversight

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks here has to be more going on - you don't shut down a website because of a ddos, when the extra ddos traffic drops off the website just starts working again. Unless they went over their quota.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

They got hacked, homes

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

BBJoey posted:

They got hacked, homes

This, but I know a dude who works in that specific industry who has had an instance where they've had to salt the earth and pull the plug. I think it was something to do with the attack being so bad they couldn't even get to their own load balancers internally to try and shut down incoming connections.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQLYFfOKe8s

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Looks like no-one else aside from the Guardian is giving much coverage to the Nauru docs. Predictable but still maddening.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Here's some more evidence of all the abhorrent poo poo you already knew was happening and probably don't care about" was never going to have much impact.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Treasurer Scott Morrison, a former immigration minister, pointed out that the reports were only allegations. "It's important to stress that incidents reports of themselves aren't a reporting of fact, they are a reporting that an allegation has been made," he told reporters in Sydney alongside the prime minister.

For gently caress's sake

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Abusing refugees was always the plan. Sends a strong message to people smugglers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Knorth posted:

Treasurer Scott Morrison, a former immigration minister, pointed out that the reports were only allegations. "It's important to stress that incidents reports of themselves aren't a reporting of fact, they are a reporting that an allegation has been made," he told reporters in Sydney alongside the prime minister.

For gently caress's sake

With his ability to downplay allegations of child rape, I'm amazed that he's not Catholic.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

Abusing refugees was always the plan. Sends a strong message to people smugglers.

Before I say anything, are you serious or being sarcastic? Can't tell.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Knorth posted:

Holy poo poo please sew your fat loving mouth shut Morrison

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Knorth posted:

For gently caress's sake
Much like the allegations that care workers were encouraging self harm that YOU made?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Starshark posted:

New thread title.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Starshark posted:

The government has access to all the advice they need to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Any argument that it was unpredictable or unexpected strains credibility.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean they literally tell us blatantly that they're using the concentration camps as deterrents, of course this stuff is intended.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean they literally tell us blatantly that they're using the concentration camps as deterrents, of course this stuff is intended.

Yeah this is the intended outcome of the concentration camps, anyone arguing that these reports just contain unfortunate side effects are deluding themselves.

I am not looking forward to seeing the true scale of the damage to people, however.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
We are the villains of this story, and we can only hope that the future will be just enough that it will remember us as such.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

We are the villains of this story, and we can only hope that the future will be just enough that it will remember us as such.

We had no way of knowing what our government was doing, they told us they were processing asylum applications in as fast and humanitarian way as possible. If we had known of the abuses of course we would not have supported the policies, what do you take us for, monsters? :shrug:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/is-the-census-really-no-worse-than-facebook/7711450

quote:

Is the census really 'no worse than Facebook'? POSTED TUE 9 AUG 2016, 7:07PM Updated Tue 9 Aug 2016, 7:20pm

Is the census really 'no worse than Facebook'?

When explaining why everyone should just calm down about the census, and fill out the compulsory form tonight, Small Business Minister Michael McCormack said the loss of privacy was "no worse than Facebook". "Anybody with a supermarket loyalty card, anybody who does tap-and-go, anybody who buys things online, they provide more information indeed probably to what is available to ABS staff," he said. The information you want to keep from the government, you've already shared with private corporations. Therefore there's no loss of privacy.

Is this true?

Leaving aside the detail about statistical linkage keys, let's look at how the information you voluntarily hand over compares with the info you compulsorily give away.

Government already knows where you've gone

If you have a phone. Even a 2G non-smartphone tracks your movement. Under data retention laws phone companies have to store this information for two years. "If you have smartphone and have GPS turned on that's creating a much more accurate map of your movements," said Jon Lawrence, executive officer of Electronic Frontiers Australia. "That's not necessarily directly available to government but it's available to all the app providers you've given access to it," "We're basically creating a whole tracking process everywhere we go."

If you're not paying for it, you're the product

The Facebook business model is to sell information it has collected from your profile and activity to advertisers, which then target you with products. "If you fill out a Facebook profile to the extent they're asking you that's pretty close to what the census is asking," said Jon Lawrence. Facebooks data about you is kept quite secure, said Ty Miller, cyberhacking security director of IT security firm Threat Intelligence. Big companies can afford the best kind of security, but that's not true for every start-up trying to get you to download their app. "There's so many start ups these days," he said. "Security is usually not in the primary focus of these organisations. He says signing up to newsletters and random websites is potentially a far greater breach of your privacy than the information collected by Facebook or Google. "Typically, the larger a site gets the more complex it is to secure it," he said.

So how much social media are Australians using?

According to a January report, Australians are on social media 12.5 hours a day (which was up four hours from the previous year. Four hours!). There are 15,000,000 Australians on Facebook and about the same number have Youtube profiles. Perhaps most troubling, there's still 80,000 Australian MySpace users (wtf?) For a full list of social media stats, scroll to the end.

So does the Minister have a point?

Ty Miller says the Minister has a point "to a degree". "It's absolutely ironic," he said. "If you're putting out data signing up to newsletters or things like that, then really that's the concern. "That's the most likely way your data might be breached." But he said there are also some big differences between compulsory government census and the information you voluntarily give to private companies.

Difference once: It's all about choice

Facebook is voluntary, and you can choose how much you information you share. "A lot of young people I speak to know that you don't put your real identity on Facebook, because your employer can see it," said Kate Lane, vice-chair of the Australian Privacy Foundation. "They use Facebook, but they're careful." She said the Minister's assertion that people already have their data out in the open and therefore privacy was dead was "bullshit". "The government is treating people like they're dumb," she said. "They make their decision on what they're sharing."

Senators challenge census over privacy concerns

Xenophon and Sarah Hanson-Young say they will not fill out their names in the census. Privacy advocates like to say that privacy is not about secrecy but about control - about choosing who has access to what information. Therefore it doesn't matter if you've given the information away; you can still decide who else should get the data. In making these choices, millennials are more sophisticated than their parents, according to Jon Lawrence. He referenced a recent study that found those over 60 were happy to give away their address and phone number online, but not personal secrets. Those under 25 were the exact opposite. "They were happy to give our personal issues but they said you're not getting my phone number or address," Jon said.

Difference two: Government data less secure

The ABS had 14 data breaches last year, but never a breach of census data. All the privacy and cyber-security experts Hack spoke to agreed the 2016 census data would be very valuable and therefore would attract determined data thieves. Sharing your data with companies was "low-risk compared to the honey-pot of information on 25 million Australians," said Kate Lane. Former Deputy Privacy Commissioner Anna Johnston agreed. "Anytime that data that is really valuable is held, there's risk of external hackers, whether that's organised crime or foreign governments. Ty Miller said government agencies tended to have more advanced cybersecurity than large private corporations like Google and Facebook. Jon Lawrence pointed out the US Census Bureau had been hacked last year. "The only really secure data is data that does not exist," he said.

Difference three: Facebook doesn't have weapons ... yet

There's arguably greater scope for government to mis-use the data, because it already has a monopoly on violence. It has power of arrest, a police force, and an army. Once the data is created, there's a risk it could be misused by future governments, Anna Johnston told ABC this morning. "We're only one Trumpesque leader away from the person who says, let's find out where all the Muslims live from the census data," she said.

Here's those social media stats

Facebook - 15,000,000 users
YouTube - 14,000,000 UAVs
WordPress.com - 5,650,000
Instagram - 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users
Tumblr - 4,500,000
LinkedIn - 3,700,000
Twitter - 2,800,000 Active Australian Users approx
Blogspot - 2,450,000
WhatsApp - 2,400,000 Active Australian Users
TripAdvisor - 2,200,000
Snapchat - 2,000,000 approx Monthly Active Australian Users
Tinder - 1,900,000 Australian users
Yelp - 1,500,000
Flickr - 600,000
Pinterest - 300,000
Reddit - 120,000
MySpace - 80,000
Google Plus - 60,000 monthly active Australian users approx
StumbleUpon - 40,000
Foursquare/Swarm - 19,000
Digg - 15,000
Delicious - 13,000
Periscope - 10,000

A vague push for an enquiry is all I can see in the news feeds. Well apart from calls to abandon this census and try again later. The minister (Michael McCormack) has handled this appallingly badly and shown himself to have a very slender grasp on the issues in play. What clearer case for dismissal have we seen recently (Well apart from every Border Farce minister)?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I don't expect anything more than cursory reporting on the gently caress up and privacy advocate concerns. The people broadcasting the messages are reliant on any combination of clicks and advertisers, which is reliant on marketing, which is reliant on statistics to build accurate market segment profiles of who you are, what you're worth and how we can get your loving money/attention.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anyone know of any snap events being organised to rally for refugees, in the wake of the latest Guardian news? Between the 2000 incident reports and boat towbacks, seems like the perfect time to tap some outrage and get demonstrations going.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No one is going to take notice until there is video.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Bifauxnen posted:

Anyone know of any snap events being organised to rally for refugees, in the wake of the latest Guardian news? Between the 2000 incident reports and boat towbacks, seems like the perfect time to tap some outrage and get demonstrations going.

I'm not aware of any snap events so far, but there's this event scheduled for Aug27 which is a Saturday.

Here's the Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/521484394717053/

And here's the details of the event for those who aren't Facebook users:

"*Close the camps and bring the refugees here
*Permanent protection not Temporary visas
*End Islamophobic scapegoating
*Boat rescues not boat turnbacks

Speakers include: Adam Bandt Greens MP for Melbourne, Pamela Curr from the ASRC and more TBA

After the election, increase the pressure to close the camps
During the election, Malcolm Turnbull and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton tried to use the refugee issue to win votes. But despite the scare campaign, the election was far from an endorsement of Turnbull. The Coalition only narrowly avoided election defeat, and holds the thinnest of majorities.

The end of August marks 15 years since the Tampa affair, when then Liberal Prime Minister John Howard sent the SAS onto the Tampa to stop a boatload of refugees reaching Australia.

Now the Coalition’s promises to “stop the boats” and keep out refugees are no longer the winning electoral formula they seemed in the past.

Manus Island set to close

The system of offshore detention is facing a major crisis over Manus Island. On 26 April the PNG Supreme Court held that detention on Manus Island was unlawful and the detention centre would have to close.

Further court action in PNG is under way, in an effort to force both PNG and Australia to act on the ruling.

But there is nowhere else for the Manus asylum seekers and refugees to come but Australia. The same is true on Nauru, where there are no arrangement for permanent resettlement of those found to be refugees. We need to keep up the pressure to demand the government “Bring them here”.

And we need to demand all refugees receive permanent visas, not Temporary Protection Visas where the threat of being sent back to danger hangs over them.

The tide of public opinion is shifting. A strong majority of people now want those found to be refugees on Manus Island and Nauru to come to Australia. And the overwhelming majority will be found to be refugees.

The 267 asylum seekers in Australia from Nauru and Manus Island have still not been returned to Manus or Nauru, thanks to the “Let them stay” movement earlier this year.

However at least one of those 267 has been taken to Christmas Island. We need to step up the pressure to close the camps and bring them all here."

I'll be there as usual, and I'll be getting as much footage as I can with my new gopro for a project I'm working on.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

The government has access to all the advice they need to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Any argument that it was unpredictable or unexpected strains credibility.

Yeah, but they're not sending the message to the people smugglers - they couldn't give a gently caress what happens to their cargo once it's dropped off and I haven't heard of any smugglers going into the camps. They're trying to scare off refugees.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Jumpingmanjim posted:

No one is going to take notice until there is video.

we could have video of that dude self immolating and no one would take notice

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Seagull posted:

Yeah :(

I've personally witnessed people try to justify their racial discrimination by saying such filth like "These people burn themselves alive in front of their family just because they can't get their way? Why would we want them here?"

And this one.. "He only lit himself on fire because they don't have access to weapons like guns and stuff, he would have loved to kill everyone there if he could"

Human makes me sad, more oft than not.. :(

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I think I know what happened last night.

Hmmm...lots of international IP's hitting us. Must be HACKERS. Ha, those hackers are barly pushing out limits. It's no issue.,
In reality, the foreign IP's are users using VPN's they bought to watch Game of Thrones. No hackers involved.However, from here on, we are seconds from disaster.

Several hours later.

Hmm, lots more IP's from the US. Hackers. Our FIREWALLS and CYBERSECURITY are handling it. Better let the Minister know.
They let the newbie Minister know. He starts to panic, but is told by the network managers it's nothing to worry about.

Several hours later. Most of Australia is home from work, and logs in.

Hmm, lots of hits...huh? Graph is going up.. We're getting data still...logs are too big to process and the only tool we have are some graphs of traffic and hits...it's going up. And up. Uhh...ah oh.
10 million households all try in the same hour
SERVER THAT HANDLES GEOBLOCKING GOES DOWN.

PANIC PANIC PANIC OH poo poo GET THE NETWORK ENGINEER ON THE LINE CALL CISCO TAC CALL IBM CALL MANAGEMENT CALL THE MINISTER I CAN'T TELL YOU WANTS WRONG BUT THINGS ARE NOT WORKING AND OH poo poo I CAN'T TELL YOU IF ITS AN ATTACK OR NOT BECAUSE OUR ROUTER IS DOWN OUR LOGS ARE DOWN OUR GRAPHS ARE DOWN AND WE'RE IN FULL PANIC MODE IT MUST BE THE HACKERS.

Management calls the Minister who wants know when it will be fixed. Management dosn't know. The techies don't know because their tools are on the router which is dead. Router comes up, get hit by another 10 million connections and goes down again. Techies spent an hour trying to work out what's wrong but have so much information and so many questions coming in they can't find the cause. After an hour the head tech tells management he told them so, and the system can't handle it, and they need to redesign it. Which will take longer than tonight. Management calls Minister who calls Prime Minister who asks his 9 year old nephew what to do and he says SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING while they need to spend time working out what happened and if it was the attack they all feared and jumped to a conclusion too. An hour later they send a tweet saying to try tomorrow.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 10, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like to think it's as simple as they ran the census website via some dusty old router in a government server room thinking that it would be just fine because it works every other day of the week, right?

I mean if half the office can stream YouTube music to their headphones while they work then sure it can handle a mere 25 million website queries. It's all text right? It'll be fiiiiiine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my knowledge of hacking isnt really huge, but isnt a DDoS basically the same thing as 'an entire nation of people trying to access the same website at the same time'?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Laserface posted:

my knowledge of hacking isnt really huge, but isnt a DDoS basically the same thing as 'an entire nation of people trying to access the same website at the same time'?

It's exactly the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Seagull posted:

People won't give a poo poo even if it happens in front of them, because culturally we have a huge loving problem with ever admitting we were wrong.

The whole narrative of our cultural history is about disingenuously appearing as the "underdog". Our brave colonists tamed this untamable land without help from Britain, our convicts struggled under the oppression of Britain, our soldiers died an honourable death at Gallipoli for Britain, our cricket team didn't deserve to lose the Ashes to Britain, etc, etc, etc.

Whereas really we're actually the national equivalent of that spoilt kid everyone knew in school, the one who'd kick up a poo poo if things didn't go exactly their way and would bully anyone they thought was beneath them.

• Locked thread