Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I like all the parts where he starts talking about how he's been sent by god to punish people, like when he's going to kill his former lover's son. also when he owns the crown prosecutor and his entire family except for the daughter and mute old guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

mdemone posted:

IIRC, she did the first volume of Proust for the Penguin Classics edition, and I thought it was really good compared to other Proust #1's I've seen. For what that's worth.

Thanks, I'll check it out. The language is a bit mannered in my copy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are like five three musketeers books. Read the first two and the last one (man in the iron mask).

Honestly the book is recommend you read next is Les Miserables

if you do this don't get an abridged version, just abide by Hugo's intense wordiness because nothing makes sense if you start cutting out parts of the novel

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

blue squares posted:

I've never seen one that isn't very superficial

The only one I've ever used is Library Thing, and I agree that was kind of superficial at the time. It might have gotten better as it has collected more data tho, but that still depends on readers not being like "Game of Thrones is like Lord of the Rings because they both have swords and wizards you see" or whatever.

t_h just do what I do and get all your recommendations from this thread.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Ligotti is good

His poo poo is depressing in a way that also scares me shitless

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A human heart posted:

I like all the parts where he starts talking about how he's been sent by god to punish people, like when he's going to kill his former lover's son. also when he owns the crown prosecutor and his entire family except for the daughter and mute old guy

I liked when he took a bunch of opium and thought he could fly but im still not sure what everything in italy/the whole sinbad ruse had to do with the rest of the book

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

rest his guts posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. The language is a bit mannered in my copy

Enright's revision of Moncrieff and Kilmartin?

Wait until you get to Proust talking about gay sex. It's something else.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pale fire is pretty fwiggen wacky

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

I liked when he took a bunch of opium and thought he could fly but im still not sure what everything in italy/the whole sinbad ruse had to do with the rest of the book

I think Dumas probably just wanted to have some cool Italian stuff in his book, but in plot terms I think the Count is there specifically to meet Albert again so that he can get close to him and get a plausible reason for entering Paris society. Also I guess he was probably finding Cavalcanti senior then, since he turns up later on once the Count is in Paris.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finished The Snow Child. I liked most of it a lot, but the ending was a letdown. It didn't make me feel anything at all. And it ended too quickly after the final event. I wanted to see the characters deal with it more fully and come to some conclusions about what had happened.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

I wanted to see the characters deal with it more fully and come to some conclusions about what had happened.

I think the ambiguity is most of the point, especially since it is a conscious retelling of a folk tale

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't mean for the novel to tell me what happened definitively, but for the characters to decide for themselves what happened and why

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I was thinking of picking up The Snow Child next. You recommend it, mel & blue?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are like five three musketeers books. Read the first two and the last one (man in the iron mask).

Honestly the book is recommend you read next is Les Miserables
Christ no, Twenty Years After (the second one) is terrible. Hundreds of pages of "remember how good The Three Musketeers was? This book probably won't be as good" then the second half is a long, upsetting tract about why Charles I was actually really good.

It doesn't even work as a silly adventure because it's all about saving Charles I from assassination and uh

I loved Count of Monte Cristo and Three Musketeers but Twenty Years After upset me enough (several years ago) that I still have Man in the Iron Mask sitting unread

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

End Of Worlds posted:

I do although you did not ask me!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Christ no, Twenty Years After (the second one) is terrible. Hundreds of pages of "remember how good The Three Musketeers was? This book probably won't be as good" then the second half is a long, upsetting tract about why Charles I was actually really good.

It doesn't even work as a silly adventure because it's all about saving Charles I from assassination and uh

I loved Count of Monte Cristo and Three Musketeers but Twenty Years After upset me enough (several years ago) that I still have Man in the Iron Mask sitting unread

If you think that was bad, try reading Louise de Vallerie or Vicomte de Bragellone. Or, pro-tip, don't.

Man in the Iron Mask is legit good again but very sad.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

End Of Worlds posted:

Not wholeheartedly, but sure.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

End Of Worlds posted:

Best book of 2012 imho and it was a really strong year

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Since people have been jamming on Gilead, Snow Child, and Aquarium I want to toss another book rec out there.

Carry the One by Carol Anshaw. Get on that.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm reading never any end to paris and it's pretty funny. the protag wanted to live in paris simply because he was such a hemingway fanboy as a kid and hemingway used to live there

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
I finished Runaway Horses last night and it was cool but I think I liked Spring Snow more. I also started The Temple of Dawn and I thought it was funny when Honda was like 'Yet there stood the Temple of Dawn!' less than twenty pages in.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oh and also I liked Aquarium, so I think I'll read some more Vann later on.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Since people have been jamming on Gilead, Snow Child, and Aquarium I want to toss another book rec out there.

Carry the One by Carol Anshaw. Get on that.

I read this based on Mel's recommendation last year and it's really good. Short book that spans the life of a family dealing with an accident. Very realistic portrayal of the nature of addiction.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
gently caress

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 24, 2019

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

hooked on Fauxnics posted:

I finished Runaway Horses last night and it was cool but I think I liked Spring Snow more. I also started The Temple of Dawn and I thought it was funny when Honda was like 'Yet there stood the Temple of Dawn!' less than twenty pages in.

Temple of Dawn was probably the worst in the tetralogy, but there is a cool scene where Honda watches the reincarnation of his childhood friend have lesbian sex with his wife. I mean he watches, with his wife (spies really), the reincarnation of his childhood friend have lesbian sex. The last book is real good, just power through all the Buddhist stuff my man.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah Temple is the weakest.

It has a really important bit of Mishima's ethos though in that whole perfect society that kills themselves while they are still beautiful

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013

david crosby posted:

Temple of Dawn was probably the worst in the tetralogy, but there is a cool scene where Honda watches the reincarnation of his childhood friend have lesbian sex with his wife. I mean he watches, with his wife (spies really), the reincarnation of his childhood friend have lesbian sex. The last book is real good, just power through all the Buddhist stuff my man.

That's pretty baller. I like the locale change so far but I'm kinda worried about it given how much it showed that the man loved Japan in the first two books.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah Temple is the weakest.

It has a really important bit of Mishima's ethos though in that whole perfect society that kills themselves while they are still beautiful

This is perfect as I am both incredibly vain and fairly young.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
I know I'm a bit late but I took Aquarium on a ferry crossing last night b/c of this thread and read the whole thing and the section where Caitlyn is forced to reenact her mother's youth is one of the most anxiety ridden sections of a book I've ever read. Hella good. Thanks for the rec.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my explicit goal now is try and get Ras to read it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

read the book Ras

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We was really good guys, but I've still not read better speculative fiction than A Canticle for Leibowitz

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hooked on Fauxnics posted:

The best part of Temple of Dawn is the Land of the Pomegranate sequence.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

We was really good guys, but I've still not read better speculative fiction than A Canticle for Leibowitz

I had heard a lot about it but was not really impressed myself. What made it so special for you? I always worry I miss subtext in some of these books.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I had heard a lot about it but was not really impressed myself. What made it so special for you? I always worry I miss subtext in some of these books.

I think you have to be Catholic?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zorodius posted:

I think you have to be Catholic?

You don't have to be Catholic, but it helps.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I was in a Lutheran school growing up, and it may have just been me personally. I really liked how it dealt with Christianity from cultural and historical perspectives.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Canticle for Liebowitz has the clearest marker of a high work of Catholic art, as it was written by an agnostic.

(Evelyn Waugh was such a shithead he has honorary status)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

StashAugustine posted:

A Canticle for Liebowitz has the clearest marker of a high work of Catholic art, as it was written by an agnostic.

(Evelyn Waugh was such a shithead he has honorary status)

Walter Miller was definitely not agnostic at the time he wrote Canticle.

Still, it's a bit like how some of the most theologically sound Christian movies of the last quarter-century were written and directed by the Coen brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

rest his guts posted:

It's a 1950 edition of Flaubert's Madame Bovary translated by J Lewis May and published by Heritage Press

For reasons I don't recall, I thought you were talking about Lydia Davis's translation of In Search of Lost Time. Whew.

I hope someone else somewhere in this thread has mentioned the greatness of Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose.