Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

drat Bananas posted:

BWM: My family friend is redoing her house to sell in the crazy housing market, but when remodeling her kitchen ($$$$$) she decided that it doesn't need a place for a refrigerator! :allears: But it's okay, there's a space in the garage for one. She also removed all upper cabinets so there's just 2 big blank white beadboard walls, and only 2 standard sized cabinets under the kitchen sink. But everything is top of the line stone counter tops, stainless steel, etc of course. I believe she also got rid of a bedroom so it now only has 2. She's worked her rear end off and everything is aesthetically pleasing but poo poo, people need places to put their crap. I hope the market is nuts enough for some idiot to offer near what she's asking.

drat Bananas posted:

Okay, here is my lovely mspaint depiction.. The countertops are something like this although I don't know the actual material. Cabinets are black, SS appliances/vent hood, and floors are vaguely this color.

Now when you say "decided that it doesn't need a place for a refrigerator" was this an actual conscious decision? Or did they just completely overlook the fact that kitchens need a fridge and try to justify their fuckup afterward? I honestly can't even begin to comprehend the train of thought that leads someone to think that a desk should be included in a kitchen remodel over a fridge. Your mspaint skills are brilliant btw.

e: seriously, I can't get over this. Not including a fridge in your kitchen remodel is as stupid to me as deciding to build an 8x8 free-standing drywall room to illegally sublet in your wannabe student apartment slum.

e2: if for whatever reason you missed it, do yourself a favor and read through the Educated Idiots and inevitable homlessness thread from not that long ago.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

drat Bananas posted:

Okay, here is my lovely mspaint depiction.. The countertops are something like this although I don't know the actual material. Cabinets are black, SS appliances/vent hood, and floors are vaguely this color.

That is so stupid. They're breaking the rules! :mad:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_work_triangle

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Mom: Honey, can you get the milk from the fridge?
Dad: AGAIN? drat THIS ACCURSED HOUSE AND ITS LACK OF CONVENIENT COLD BEVERAGES
*goes to fridge*
*starts car*
*closes garage door*

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Solice Kirsk posted:

So I may be BWM depending on what I decide to do. I left my old firm and joined a new one and inherited my old HSA. My new company doesn't use HSAs so I hvae nothing to transfer the old one into and the "management" fee for my HSA is $50 a...year (could be month, but I doubt it), which isn't terrible, but there is very little I am going to use it for besides the random $10 co-pay or deductible for my new insurance. I know I can just pull everything out of it and eat the 20% penalty and pay income on it and I'm actually thinking of doing it since this money is just going to sit there, doing nothing, forever until either the fees or ~$60 a year I'll be spending out of it kills the thing.

So bad with money thread, should I just take evrything from this thing and go buy an old horse, or should I just keep it where it is and use it until it eventually goes away?
Your HSA is portable, and you can take it anywhere. Do some research and find a good administrator that meets your needs. If you're young and healthy, you can put it with an administrator that lets you put it in mutual funds and treat it like a bonus IRA. It auto converts to a traditional IRA when you turn 65 anyway. Or put it in a low risk account and use it as part of your emergency fund. A frightening majority of things that necessitate using your emergency fund have a health component.

A lot of places waive the fees if you have more than a grand in it. Do the research.

Also, HSAs cover many things that health insurance usually doesn't. Like dental and LASIK.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The one time a kitchen reno previous to selling would be strongly suggested would be if the kitchen didn't have a fridge and instead had a desk built-in.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Your HSA is portable, and you can take it anywhere. Do some research and find a good administrator that meets your needs. If you're young and healthy, you can put it with an administrator that lets you put it in mutual funds and treat it like a bonus IRA. It auto converts to a traditional IRA when you turn 65 anyway. Or put it in a low risk account and use it as part of your emergency fund. A frightening majority of things that necessitate using your emergency fund have a health component.

A lot of places waive the fees if you have more than a grand in it. Do the research.

Also, HSAs cover many things that health insurance usually doesn't. Like dental and LASIK.

Didn't even think of the LASIK angle. That would avoid the 20% penalty as well wouldn't it? gently caress, that's a great idea.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Guru says to live paycheque to paycheque, live for the now!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-08/millennial-guru-urges-millennials-living-paycheck-paycheck-spend-now-save-later

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Just fyi this link browser-jacked my phone, so open with care.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

paperchaseguy posted:

Mom: Honey, can you get the milk from the fridge?
Dad: AGAIN? drat THIS ACCURSED HOUSE AND ITS LACK OF CONVENIENT COLD BEVERAGES
*goes to fridge*
*starts car*
*closes garage door*

Joke's on the trendy, fashion-forward home buyer who purchased a home with a garage fridge and of course only drives all-electric.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

The previous owners of our home remodeled the kitchen when they moved in and removed the dishwasher. :downs: We then had to move things around, add it back in, and it actually added countertop in the kitchen and made the whole thing feel larger.

So much of this "never do this" talk really depends on how old and fugly the current house looks. A 50's kitchen with original appliances and at least one too many walls will net you a profit in southern California. Reface the cabinets, replace the oven/stove/range, put in something-that-isn't-linoleum floor, and knock out the extra walls. If there is money left redo the countertop. Really the only time it doesn't is if you pay top dollar for everything to make it your dream kitchen. Your realtor, who is making some huge chunk of money on the sale, should be guiding you through this with plenty of data about comps.

This could also say something about socal markets.

Yeah, I think this is a lot more situation dependent than those articles let on. Take a bathroom addition for an example. You're going to get a whole lot less return on adding a fourth bathroom than adding a second.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Solice Kirsk posted:

So I may be BWM depending on what I decide to do. I left my old firm and joined a new one and inherited my old HSA. My new company doesn't use HSAs so I hvae nothing to transfer the old one into and the "management" fee for my HSA is $50 a...year (could be month, but I doubt it), which isn't terrible, but there is very little I am going to use it for besides the random $10 co-pay or deductible for my new insurance. I know I can just pull everything out of it and eat the 20% penalty and pay income on it and I'm actually thinking of doing it since this money is just going to sit there, doing nothing, forever until either the fees or ~$60 a year I'll be spending out of it kills the thing.

So bad with money thread, should I just take evrything from this thing and go buy an old horse, or should I just keep it where it is and use it until it eventually goes away?

start your own thread

Posting "It's me, I'm BWM" in this thread (note to pedants: not literally) should be banishable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I didn't feel a $4k HSA deserved its own thread. Plus I'm looking into LASIK now and thinking about getting "meaty-er" calf implants. Just really make those bad boys pop, you know?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The white makes the tan pop, the tan makes the white pop. Grobin loves for his ladies to pop.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

I didn't feel a $4k HSA deserved its own thread.

Just open up your own HSA and rollover your old one, you don't need to be in an HSA-eligible plan to rollover or use your old HSA for medical expenses, you only need that for contributing to an HSA. Protip: your HSA can also be used for medical expenses of immediate family, regardless of their insurance, as long as they're not double-dipping on reimbursement.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/763042933658513408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:cripes:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You know that ship is sinking when Erick, son of Erick, is openly mocking you on Twitter.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
2016 is boring in BFC. I miss the Forums User Who Shall Not Be Named.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Big surprise, we scared off all the bwm people seeking help and now it's just wealthy patricians discussing 401k allocations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Big surprise, we scared off all the bwm people seeking help and now it's just wealthy patricians discussing 401k allocations.

I just spent 10k on Kenny Loggins albums.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

I just spent 10k on Kenny Loggins albums.
Opium futures for me.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can find your own HSA administrator, even if it's unrelated to your employer.

This one is very well reviewed: http://healthsavings.com/vanguard/funds/

There might be a fee to move your money from the old HSA to the new one, but it's a better plan than paying $50 a year forever, or spending it all on some BS!

I switched my old HSA to them. They charge $45 a year.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

overdrafting my checking account is the only credit i qualify for

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MrKatharsis posted:

I switched my old HSA to them. They charge $45 a year.

And a 0.25% custodial fee to top it off, yowch.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you use an HSA for medical expenses regularly or otherwise don't intend to have lots of money around in it to invest meaningfully, you can find nearly free HSAs that will pay you savings account level interest.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

I don't see where it was actually said anything at all about living paycheck-to-paycheck. Yeah, the ticker says that, but the first guy just points out that lofty financial goals are within reach of younger generations if they save early. The "guru's" is talking about the popularity of FIRE in our current generation and the impact that the job-hopping culture is having on this generation; where (wealthy tech) people are entrepreneurial and hard working at a young age so they can "retire" and do what they love later in life.

This is just ZeroHedge writing a click-baity article on a video they didn't bother to watch of a show whose producers are just milking the "lazy millennials" rhetoric that their target audience can't get enough of.

Next week on Power Lunch: Millennial Lifestyle: Garage-Fridge

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

zero hedge is pretty much a buzzfeed-tier tabloid

I mean looking at the page, who wouldn't want to read things like:
- The Chilling Thing Twitter Just Said about San Francisco’s Office Bubble
- Conversation With A Gold Veteran
- Australia Customs Department Confirms BullionStar’s Analysis On Gold Export To China.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Chilling Thing Twitter Just Said about Mr Freeze, the ice-themed supervillain from Batman And Robin.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The Chilling Thing About Being Pounded In The Butt By Dick Pound's Fiscal Icicle, the next bestseller from Chuck Tingle

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
That "cash out your 401k for bitcoin" ad has started to show up here.

e: and it redirects here :doh:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Good / Bad News for me. I have more personal BWM stories to share. My extended family is bafflingly bad with money. The only way I am kept safe from being constantly hit up for money is that I save about 40% of my paycheck, drive a shitbox, and live with roommates so they all think that I am poor. One of my Aunts told me that she knows it is hard out there because I have had the same car for 4 years.

- My younger cousin is 28. He just got finished his first semester at a private art college that he "didn't have to pay anything for" to study automotive art (Ed Note: I have no idea what automotive art is). He is not going back for another semester and it turns out that he didn't have to pay for it because the financial office at the school "took care of it" for him. This means that he got a $3000 "scholarship" that he doesn't have to repay if he graduates and the school gave him a loan of 38k. He is now 41k in debt and his parents are hitting up the rest of the family to pay his student loans.

He isn't paying his student loans because he needs to keep up payments on his leased 2016 Mustang. :negative:

- My Aunt works with a girl who sells "wraps" that are somehow supposed to make you lose weight. Not only are there wraps, but there are also wrap accessories. I have no idea what the logic is behind fabric making you lose weight, but apparently, my Aunt has been spending about $140 a month for almost a year on these. She has not lost any weight but keeps buying them.

- My brother is an idiot and a heroin addict. He works part-time for a local business moving mattresses in the warehouse. He complains that the police profile him because he has tons of drug and "Piggy want a Donut?" anti-cop bumper stickers, so he has stopped driving his car. His boss lives about a mile from him and he has accepted a deal with his boss to get paid $2 less per hour in order to have his boss pick him up and drop him off. He still pays all the expenses for his car and will not remove the stickers because they cost money. Also still buying heroin.

- My other cousin got a bank loan for an unknown amount and about $12k from family members to start her own brewing business. She didn't realize that you needed a license to sell it commercially, so she decided to practice without a license and sell it to her friends first. It has been about 5 months and she has just ended up giving away most of the beer to her friends and doesn't want to get a license to actually be able to distribute her beer because "it is bullshit to have to do that" and it "costs too much". No idea what is going to happen with her loan or the five figures worth of brewing and bottling equipment she bought.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 10, 2016

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- My Aunt works with a girl who sells "wraps" that are somehow supposed to make you lose weight. Not only are there wraps, but there are also wrap accessories. I have no idea what the logic is behind fabric making you lose weight, but apparently, my Aunt has been spending about $140 a month for almost a year on these. She has not lost any weight but keeps buying them.

I've seen this before. It's a fabric thing you wrap around your torso, and supposedly "draws out toxins" to help you lose weight. Really, it just makes you sweat a bit so you'll lose a few pounds of water weight temporarily.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Super Dan posted:

I've seen this before. It's a fabric thing you wrap around your torso, and supposedly "draws out toxins" to help you lose weight. Really, it just makes you sweat a bit so you'll lose a few pounds of water weight temporarily.

It's also one of those scams where they measure you as fatter than you really are before you start and then skinnier than you really are when you finish your wrap. "Wow, you dropped three inches!"

How those places have managed to stay relevant for 20+ years I have no idea.

- My younger cousin is 28. He just got finished his first semester at a private art college that he "didn't have to pay anything for" to study automotive art (Ed Note: I have no idea what automotive art is). He is not going back for another semester and it turns out that he didn't have to pay for it because the financial office at the school "took care of it" for him. This means that he got a $3000 "scholarship" that he doesn't have to repay if he graduates and the school gave him a loan of 38k. He is now 41k in debt and his parents are hitting up the rest of the family to pay his student loans.

Could be worse. He could have stayed in school and had a degree in automotive art and $160k in debt.

And I think that's automotive design, which is exactly what it sounds like. You design automobile exteriors and interiors. Which sounds pretty awesome, except it's kind of a niche field that probably has a lot of people already working in it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Could be worse. He could have stayed in school and had a degree in automotive art and $160k in debt.

And I think that's automotive design, which is exactly what it sounds like. You design automobile exteriors and interiors. Which sounds pretty awesome, except it's kind of a niche field that probably has a lot of people already working in it.

I prefer to imagine it as bespoke artisanal oil changing because that's funnier :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Super Dan posted:

Why would you need to buy accessories for them or keep buying new ones to the tune of $140 a month? It is incomprehensible to me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think the entire auto design industry is probably staffed with real industrial designers, not "automotive art" degree holders. But yeah, very few people end up getting to work in that market.

Maybe automotive art degree holders do stuff like CarHenge:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

- My brother is an idiot and a heroin addict. He works part-time for a local business moving mattresses in the warehouse. He complains that the police profile him because he has tons of drug and "Piggy want a Donut?" anti-cop bumper stickers, so he has stopped driving his car. His boss lives about a mile from him and he has accepted a deal with his boss to get paid $2 less per hour in order to have his boss pick him up and drop him off. He still pays all the expenses for his car and will not remove the stickers because they cost money. Also still buying heroin.

This is pretty incredible. I can't imagine moving mattresses in a warehouse part time is paying six figures so he has to be giving up a pretty sizable portion of his pay just to get back and forth to work. When he has a perfectly functional vehicle. Drugs are bad mmkay

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Why would you need to buy accessories for them or keep buying new ones to the tune of $140 a month? It is incomprehensible to me.

It's one of those MLM schemes.

https://www.myitworks.com/

Bonus: Personal testimonies from those who sucker the BWM http://www.myitworks.com/crazywrap/stories/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Barry posted:

This is pretty incredible. I can't imagine moving mattresses in a warehouse part time is paying six figures so he has to be giving up a pretty sizable portion of his pay just to get back and forth to work. When he has a perfectly functional vehicle. Drugs are bad mmkay

Driving a vehicle also costs a lot more than the cost of gas though so it really depends on whether these are 2 or 6 hour shifts.

Either way it sounds like a very sad existence overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Barry posted:

He could also remove the bumper stickers from the car, but clearly he's a man of principle.

• Locked thread