Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dead Reckoning posted:

I guess I can dig up a bunch of people whinging about various Scalia/Alito opinions being creating new law or not following precedent or being predecided for the conservative party or whatever if you really want, or does it not count as complaining about it unless you actually say "judicial activism?"

People who complain about "Judicial Activism" are complaining about the very idea of judges creating law. People in this thread complain about specific instances of it when they disagree with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Griswold's majority. Either of the concurrences would be a lot easier to swallow.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, given the number of people on the left, including people ITT, who are openly salivating about revisiting Heller and Citizens United among other cases as soon as Hillary can pack the court with liberal justices, acting like this is an issue of conservative double-speak is pretty dishonest. Planning to restrict individual rights via judicial fiat because you've decided that exercising those rights in certain ways is "bad for democracy" is pretty hosed up imo.

Both are bad decisions overturning decades if not a century or more of precedent overturning wise democratically enacted laws that any person of any judicial philosophy should feel comfortable with the Supreme Court overturning.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Both are bad decisions overturning decades if not a century or more of precedent overturning wise democratically enacted laws that any person of any judicial philosophy should feel comfortable with the Supreme Court overturning.

But enough about Loving vs Virginia and Obergefell vs Hodges...

:troll:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Crossposting from C-SPAM, expect this to get some legs:

https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/763115334954053633

The account belongs to a Salon writer who says Trump has made this insinuation before.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ron Jeremy posted:

GOP isn't the sole villain here. In California for instance, the Democratic Party won 60% of the presidential vote but have something closer to 80% of the house seats.

There have been movements to place "non-partisans" like judges in charge of drawing fairer district lines but if it's state by state then it's like unilateral disarmament.

California's districts *are* drawn by an impartial committee. Presidential/downballot ticket splits are pretty routine nowadays: "Clem's been doing good for us for 47 years, why change?"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

California's districts *are* drawn by an impartial committee. Presidential/downballot ticket splits are pretty routine nowadays: "Clem's been doing good for us for 47 years, why change?"
The referendum creating that impartial committee was written specifically to exclude the congressional races though, because Nancy Pelosi. It also came after the establishment defeated a very similar referendum (by Arnold) which did include the congressional delegation.

California's congressional districts are still quite gerrymandered (hence the 80% of seats with 60% of the vote)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The opposite is true, people are actually less likely to split their ticket, it's one of the signs of the increasing polarization of American politics

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShadowHawk posted:

California's congressional districts are still quite gerrymandered (hence the 80% of seats with 60% of the vote)

You can get lopsided results without gerrymandering, though.

Imagine if California were uniformly 60% D/40% R. In that scenario, it wouldn’t matter how you drew the districts; you would always end up with Democrats winning all of them.

Now obviously California isn’t actually that homogeneous, but you get the idea. Impartial district lines don’t end the imbalance.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Heller was a good decision, and you just need to strike the second instead of trying to weasel around it just because you hate fundamental human rights.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m all for the Second Amendment.

Everyone can keep and bear arms, provided they’re reproductions of arms available in 1791.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Platystemon posted:

I’m all for the Second Amendment.

Everyone can keep and bear arms, provided they’re reproductions of arms available in 1791.
I realize this is a joke, but it seems like a thoroughly dumb joke, given the existence of the First Amendment.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Crossposting from C-SPAM, expect this to get some legs:

https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/763115334954053633

The account belongs to a Salon writer who says Trump has made this insinuation before.

Amanda Marcotte is an idiot and trump didn't really 'insinuate' anything, he practically came out and said it,and did so months ago, repeatedly. It won't get any play because trump merely repeating conspiracy theories from WND doesn't make for as good headlines as trump calling for Hillary's assassination or losing fights with literal babies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twodot posted:

I realize this is a joke, but it seems like a thoroughly dumb joke, given the existence of the First Amendment.

100% sincere, my friend.

If you think about it, my interpretation here is quite generous. I could require the reproductions be produced using period‐accurate techniques, or even limit it to authentic antiques.

There’s also the “must be a member of a well‐regulated militia angle [read: the National Guard]”. Of course I wouldn’t go there, but for many decades the Court did.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 10, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, given the number of people on the left, including people ITT, who are openly salivating about revisiting Heller and Citizens United among other cases as soon as Hillary can pack the court with liberal justices, acting like this is an issue of conservative double-speak is pretty dishonest. Planning to restrict individual rights via judicial fiat because you've decided that exercising those rights in certain ways is "bad for democracy" is pretty hosed up imo.

This is how it actually works and has always worked. Pretending that judges don't have ideologies or that presidents are unaware of them is either hopelessly naive or deliberately disingenuous.

Heller was the result of 25 years of appointing judges with a certain 2nd amendment ideology that succeeded in overturning previous precedent with a 5-4 ruling. You're just okay with that because you agree with it.

My 5-4 decision is sober impartial nonpartisan judges discovering and applying the one true natural law, your 5-4 decision is partisan court-packing that allows your politicians to legislate from the bench.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 10, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Platystemon posted:

100% sincere, my friend.

If you think about it, my interpretation here is quite generous. I could require the reproductions be produced using period‐accurate techniques, or even limit it to authentic antiques.

There’s also the “must be a member of a well‐regulated militia angle [read: the National Guard]”. Of course I wouldn’t go there, but for many decades the Court did.
You're clearly an idiot, but for those following along consider mechanisms of speech, religion, assembly, and press that only existed after 1791, and whether they are protected by the First Amendment.
Edit:
I guess unless the real joke is "only an impossibly stupid person could believe what I'm saying" in which case I still think it's a dumb joke.

twodot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 10, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Platystemon posted:

You can get lopsided results without gerrymandering, though.

Imagine if California were uniformly 60% D/40% R. In that scenario, it wouldn’t matter how you drew the districts; you would always end up with Democrats winning all of them.

Now obviously California isn’t actually that homogeneous, but you get the idea. Impartial district lines don’t end the imbalance.
Yeah plurality voting by its nature is prone to this sort of nonsense.

At best, 50% of the people vote for someone who will not win. Over half of Americans can reasonably claim to be wholly unrepresented in "their" government. That's the wasted vote effect - it makes gerrymandering possible. We can do so much better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twodot posted:

You're clearly an idiot, but for those following along consider mechanisms of speech, religion, assembly, and press that only existed after 1791, and whether they are protected by the First Amendment.

Counterpoint: the gov’t won’t let me keep and bear nuclear arms.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Counterpoint: the gov’t won’t let me keep and bear nuclear arms.
What's the point of being this dumb? Is this a false flag attack on Heller protesters?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Typical GOP tactic: face an uncomfortable question, deflect with personal attacks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ShadowHawk posted:

The referendum creating that impartial committee was written specifically to exclude the congressional races though, because Nancy Pelosi. It also came after the establishment defeated a very similar referendum (by Arnold) which did include the congressional delegation.

I had no idea. Thank you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Typical GOP tactic: face an uncomfortable question, deflect with personal attacks.
I just want to be super clear. I totally believe you are an actual moron who shouldn't be engaged with. I gave an example of why that's true, which you completely ignored. I don't believe every question or point demands an answer. If you do believe that, you are behind on your responsibilities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowHawk posted:

The Jungle Primary system also heavily discourages multiple challengers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twodot posted:

I just want to be super clear. I totally believe you are an actual moron who shouldn't be engaged with. I gave an example of why that's true, which you completely ignored. I don't believe every question or point demands an answer. If you do believe that, you are behind on your responsibilities.

I tried to send my response via spark gap transmitter, but those fascists at the FCC shut me down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

twodot posted:

Just to be super clear, you're both doing a good job of look like morons here, but at least he seems to be enjoying it.

computer parts posted:

The Jungle Primary system also heavily discourages multiple challengers.

Is the structure of primaries determined by the law, or is that at least something that could be changed by the parties if they so desired?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

GlyphGryph posted:

Is the structure of primaries determined by the law, or is that at least something that could be changed by the parties if they so desired?
State constitutional amendment as a result of an initiative.

So, no.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just looked up spark-gap transmitters, so thank you very much for that!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

100% sincere, my friend.

Not as though this asinine idea hasn't been subjected to legal analysis.

quote:

PER CURIAM
The Court has held that “the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding,”[internal citations omitted]
Your militia argument is extra double retarded, since the right is reserved to the people, not the militia. The court has never found that the Second Amendment is contingent on militia service.

VitalSigns posted:

This is how it actually works and has always worked. Pretending that judges don't have ideologies or that presidents are unaware of them is either hopelessly naive or deliberately disingenuous.
Heller was the result of 25 years of appointing judges with a certain 2nd amendment ideology that succeeded in overturning previous precedent with a 5-4 ruling. You're just okay with that because you agree with it.
My 5-4 decision is sober impartial nonpartisan judges discovering and applying the one true natural law, your 5-4 decision is partisan court-packing that allows your politicians to legislate from the bench.
If you're going to dispense with the idea that judges are supposed to be neutral arbiters of the law despite their personal political beliefs, and instead go with the idea that Supreme Court nominations are just a once-ever-few-years snap contest where the current occupant of the oval office attempts to get someone on the bench who will crush the legislative agenda of their political opponents under a gavel until the cold specter of death comes for them too, you're really just endorsing the GOP's obstructionist tactics and justifying why they should fight tooth and nail to prevent Hillary from confirming a justice for as long as they can. (Please spare me the "well they wouldn't act in good faith anyway, so why should we do the right thing?" post.)

Heller is good law, and frankly the idea that it was a 25-year conspiracy across multiple administrations with the sole goal of reaffirming the blindingly obvious purpose of the 2nd Amendment is laughable. Especially when you consider that Miller, a case in which I would remind everyone that neither the defendant nor their counsel was able to appear in court, was itself a radical departure from the previous 150 years of 2nd Amendment jurisprudence.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 10, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Platystemon posted:

100% sincere, my friend.

Just like freedom of the press only applies if you use a literal printing press!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you're going to dispense with the idea that judges are supposed to be neutral arbiters of the law despite their personal political beliefs, and instead go with the idea that Supreme Court nominations are just a once-ever-few-years snap contest where the current occupant of the oval office attempts to get someone on the bench who will crush the legislative agenda of their political opponents under a gavel until the cold specter of death comes for them too, you're really just endorsing the GOP's obstructionist tactics and justifying why they should fight tooth and nail to prevent Hillary from confirming a justice for as long as they can. (Please spare me the "well they wouldn't act in good faith anyway, so why should we do the right thing?" post.)

Nah there's no such thing as "neutral arbiter of the law". There are different legal philosophies and all judges have one, there's no godlike perspective outside of the world that discovers eternal divine law with no underlying legal philosophy. Unless by neutral arbiter you're accusing Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Breyer, etc of not having any sort of legal philosophy and just ruling because they "hate guns" or "like abortions", is that what you're claiming here? If so, I think you're wrong about them; legal philosophies aside from originalism exist, so I think you'd have quite a bit of work to do to show that their rulings follow no philosophy at all outside of their whims. If not, you're just repeating the usual right-wing double standard. "My politics are right and when the court disagrees the precedent must be overturned so it's cool for Republican presidents to appoint judges who agree with me, your politics are wrong so Democrat presidents need to respect precedent and appoint judges who agree with me."

Dead Reckoning posted:

Heller is good law, and frankly the idea that it was a 25-year conspiracy across multiple administrations with the sole goal of reaffirming the blindingly obvious purpose of the 2nd Amendment is laughable. Especially when you consider that Miller, a case in which I would remind everyone that neither the defendant nor their counsel was able to appear in court, was itself a radical departure from the previous 150 years of 2nd Amendment jurisprudence.

Yeah no, it's not a conspiracy, Republicans openly said they would nominate justices who agreed with the NRA on 2nd amendment issues and then they did it, just as they said they'd appoint justices who agree with them on abortion, got Roe v Wade weakened, and almost got it repealed. "Presidents nominate justices whose record tends to agree with them on issues, and promise their constituents the same" is not a conspiracy, it's expected and it is what has actually been happening, explicitly. Like do I have to link you endless examples of Republicans promising to nominate judges who will rule against gun control and abortion?

Okay, you think Heller was good law. The dissent disagrees and has a different legal theory than you; they're four of the most respected jurists in the country (including one Reagan appointee). Hillary agrees with the dissent, so she is obviously going to appoint justices with legal theories she agrees with. She has no duty to nominate justices who agree with you, any more than you would have said pre-Heller that Bush has a duty to appoint justices who will uphold Miller.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 10, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

VitalSigns posted:

Okay, you think Heller was good law. The dissent disagrees and has a different legal theory than you; they're four of the most respected jurists in the country (including one Reagan appointee). Hillary agrees with the dissent, so she is obviously going to appoint justices with legal theories she agrees with. She has no duty to nominate justices who agree with you, any more than you would have said pre-Heller that Bush has a duty to appoint justices who will uphold Miller.

I highlighted your problem here. Of course the dissent disagrees with the majority, but that doesn't change a drat thing about it's legal status. DC's law was dumb and was struck down appropriately. Heller is good law and makes perfect sense.

Note the issue with the DC law was twofold - one that the city could arbitrarily restrict someone's access to a readily available firearm at the time even in the home and that the weapon had to be disassembled or have a trigger lock on it at all times even in the home.

I personally would love to see guns out of people's hands myself, but I'm not going to put on blinders and act like Heller is something crazy. Also miller was about sawed off shotguns where DCs law was essentially a blanket handgun ban.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 10, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well of course the majority's opinion is the one with legal status.

If the next judge nominated to the court agrees with the dissent in Heller or CU, then this will likely change. That's cool if you agree with those rulings but not all judges do (the 4 dissents are obvious evidence of this), if the next president prefers a judge with a judicial philosophy similar to the dissenters then it's not some scandal if she nominates one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The court isn't going to allow a blanket handgun ban without changing the second amendment. The dissent talks about the legislative ability to limit some firearms and is absolutely correct, but a blanket handgun ban including inside one's own home is never going to pass muster.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That's not VitalSigns argument though. His point is that, if the liberals could get five justices on the bench who would reinstate DC's handgun ban, then this would be a good and just thing to do, because the constitution is what the court says it is, and supreme court justices are basically high-stakes senators with lifetime appointments.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Which is dumb as well. There have been threats of court stacking before and there has been definitely some partisan hackery on behalf of the court (CU), but the entire point of being a judge is to put aside personal bias and rule according to what the law says not what they feel.

Because of the nature of our government, the supreme court does end up making law, but it is supposed to be and for the most part does stay insulated from the political process.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 10, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see how it's court-stacking for a liberal to appoint justices they agree with any more than it's court-stacking when conservatives do it.

Could either one of you define for me what a "neutral arbiter of the law" is? Is it just a judge who rules according to a consistent philosophy without making exceptions for his personal partisan opinions? Because that could describe good judges with any legal philosophy and it's expected that a president picking among judges with different philosophies will choose one he agrees with (and I don't know how you'd enforce a mechanism to stop that, a Fairness Doctrine for scotus judges?)

Or does a "neutral arbiter of law" mean something else to you (like "agrees with textualism" or similar)?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Platystemon is being dumb, but I've always been curious. What *is* the case history for defining the line between guns being allowable but missiles not? What is the criteria used?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Heller is good law and makes perfect sense.

What part of Heller involves a well-regulated militia?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Platystemon is being dumb, but I've always been curious. What *is* the case history for defining the line between guns being allowable but missiles not? What is the criteria used?

The general principle reaffirmed in Heller is that "arms" generally refers to "small arms," the weapons of an individual soldier. This is in contrast with things like artillery, landmines, tanks, nerve gas, and nuclear weapons, which generally fall outside the definition. Weapons like crew-served machine guns, mortars, and shoulder-fired rocket launchers blur the line. More practically, 26 U.S.C. § 5845(f) defines a destructive device as:

quote:

(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than 4 ounces, (D) missile having an explosive charge of more than 1/4 ounce, (E) mine or (F) similar device.

(2) Any weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter (.50 inches or 12.7 mm), except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and

(3) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

The term destructive device shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned or given by the Secretary of the Army, pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of Title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
So while this means that it is in fact legal to own grenade launchers, cannon, artillery and shells in the U.S.A., they are generally outside the 2nd Amendment and subject to a much higher degree of regulation than small arms. One can own demilitarized tanks and fighter aircraft as well, but re-arming them or installing their full suite of military electronics will generally run afoul of one or more federal agencies. Also, the storage, transport, and disposal of explosives is much more highly regulated than for small arms, because of the much greater danger posed by high explosives than by smokeless powder. Really though, the main obstacle to owning them is that the sort of companies that make missiles and artillery shells don't sell to private individuals and have minimum orders in the thousands.

All that said, the founders pretty clearly expected that private citizens would be able to purchase warships and cannon (one doesn't give letters of marque and reprisal to a national navy after all) most likely on the basis that, if you were the sort of person who could afford such things, you were the right sort of person to have them.

ErIog posted:

What part of Heller involves a well-regulated militia?
:ssh: The right is reserved to the people, not the militia.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

No gunchat please. Please no gunchat.:ohdear: