Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Quest For Glory II posted:

and sit up in bed?? wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah I'd say that the price cut, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 played a huge part in saving the 3DS after its wet fart of a launch

Animal Crossing and FE: Awakening also were pretty big hits, more than any single game saving the 3DS I think it's just that it started really rolling by the time its first holiday season came and then it just kept going with that momentum throughout 2012 and by 2013 it was a successful console that also got the first 3D mainline Pokemon games. Early 3DS was pretty dire, but I think the price cut skews people's perception a bit since it took under a year to get going properly, sadly on the Wii U side of things getting that sort of momentum with first party titles proved to be impossible as the challenges of making these huge games that use the Wii U's HD powers simply slowed development to a crawl and by the time another "batch" could be thrown at a decent pace the console was pretty dead on the water and it just makes more sense to keep them in the oven another year so more titles can be ready for a good launch Year for the NX.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ther bedroom is for sleeping and loving. Putting a tv in your bedroom is like step one to giving up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nah

lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

on the ceiling
my anxiety would just make me go "okay that's gonna fall and kill me in my sleep"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

:psyduck:

It literally makes the controller larger than a Xbox1 controller
Do you have Trump hands? It's light and ergonomic. Who cares how BIG it is?

quote:

increases the cost of the SKU by a lot, is required to run the console and is irreplaceable if you break it,
Fair points I suppose, but personally it was worth the cost for how much I enjoyed it. I certainly agree that it wasn't utilized to the fullest. I love having the second screen. The games that DO use it prove its value, and I also like it for carrying Netflix around the house and suchlike. This is all subjective, I admit, but so is your dislike of it. Also "if you break your electronics they don't work anymore" is a pretty weak argument. That couldn't have affected more than .01% of WiiU owners, and half of those probably deserved it.

quote:

and means you have to charge it every 14 minutes.
What the gently caress is this? Not only can you just plug it in if you want to never need to charge it, but the thing holds a pretty dang long charge and can take a double capacity battery if it bothers you.

quote:

The tablet gimmick is a really big drag on the WiiU. I would probably have one if it wasn't for the tablet. (And if you could use GCN controllers in games other than Sm4sh.)
"Features I don't like are gimmicks and deserve nicknames. Tablet. waggle. Democrat Party."

It's truly OK that you don't like it, but you seem to be mistaking your preferences for facts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tablet isn't a nickname though

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Quest For Glory II posted:

my anxiety would just make me go "okay that's gonna fall and kill me in my sleep"

Projector. If that doesn't work because you have popcorn ceilings time to fix your life.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

tablet isn't a nickname though

I believe you'll find that it's called the "Gamepad" and anything else is an unofficial referent, or "nickname", even if it's a (very poor) description.

It's really not very much like a tablet at all, anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a new controller for the Wii if I'm not mistaken. I think I saw something about it on CNN one time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Projector. If that doesn't work because you have popcorn ceilings time to fix your life.
im gonna keep playing handhelds in bed because i already own them

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The NX will show you! The NX will show you all!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Trent posted:

Do you have Trump hands? It's light and ergonomic. Who cares how BIG it is?

Fair points I suppose, but personally it was worth the cost for how much I enjoyed it. I certainly agree that it wasn't utilized to the fullest. I love having the second screen. The games that DO use it prove its value, and I also like it for carrying Netflix around the house and suchlike. This is all subjective, I admit, but so is your dislike of it. Also "if you break your electronics they don't work anymore" is a pretty weak argument. That couldn't have affected more than .01% of WiiU owners, and half of those probably deserved it.

What the gently caress is this? Not only can you just plug it in if you want to never need to charge it, but the thing holds a pretty dang long charge and can take a double capacity battery if it bothers you.

"Features I don't like are gimmicks and deserve nicknames. Tablet. waggle. Democrat Party."

It's truly OK that you don't like it, but you seem to be mistaking your preferences for facts.

You literally stated that the tablet was no more drawback that "an extra button or something." Whether you like the tablet or not there are legitimate downsides to having it.

Any other controller in the world you can buy a new one if it breaks (and is far less fragile in the first place) and has a much longer battery life than the GamePad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
4 hours is loving plenty. And the Dual Shock 7 or whatever doesn't last much longer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

4 hours is loving plenty. And the Dual Shock 7 or whatever doesn't last much longer.

6-8 on mine. plenty for me. wiiugp is fine too. its issues lie elsewhere.

lots of people sitting on 3 generations of controllers are not gonna be happy but i'd like the nx to just have 1 type of controller as close as possible to the standard controller other systems use and just stick with it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd like the NX to have whatever controller comes with it and also use the same pro controller you can already get.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I for one enjoy my Official Nintendo Wii U Gamepad Tablet Macro Touch Screen Enable Controller

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

greatn posted:

I'd like the NX to have whatever controller comes with it and also use the same pro controller you can already get.

Yeah. I think it's okay if they release a new edition of the Pro, but the current one is such a good standard they shouldn't drop compatibility.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hoping the handset is just a pro cut in half with a screen in the middle that can snap off and reconnect into a normal pro when the screen is docked

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah. I think it's okay if they release a new edition of the Pro, but the current one is such a good standard they shouldn't drop compatibility.

As much as I love my Pro controller I think they should probably drop it for something almost exactly the same but with analogue triggers and gyro.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

You literally stated that the tablet was no more drawback that "an extra button or something." Whether you like the tablet or not there are legitimate downsides to having it.
Fair point. I was referring to it's use as the complaint was about the screen being useless, not about it's cost or long but admittedly finite battery life.

quote:

Any other controller in the world you can buy a new one if it breaks (and is far less fragile in the first place) and has a much longer battery life than the GamePad.
You can get a new one if it breaks, although I admit it's not exactly simple or cheap. I don't think it's particularly fragile, though I suppose, again technically it is necessarily more fragile than a simpler controller with fewer features.

I guess the cost of the gamepad never really occurred to me as a complaint since I find that the system as a whole was quite reasonably priced for the amount of fun I've had with it, even before any pricedrops or bundles. When you factor in some of the excellent bundles there've been, the system has been available for downright cheap.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I love the gamepad and have no problems holding it but there's no doubt that it was a misstep for Nintendo, it raised the cost, took up resources, was the main reason the marketing got confusing (plus the title of course) and few games really made use of it, it was a good idea but it simply did not pan out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I hope the NX comes with a Guncon and a dance pad.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Awesome Welles posted:

I hope the NX comes with a Guncon and a dance pad.

hell yeah, i'm way down for return of DDR

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wish we could go back to the old format of having two threads, where one was for Nintendo Gloom and Houndoom and the other one was the cute thread for cute gamers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

Every time I've had an event and people have jumped on the Wii U the Gamepad is dead in less than 4 hours easily and the poor bastard using it is tethered to the charge cable. It's unacceptable how terrible the charge is.

Also, the Steam controller rules for battery life, around 80-ish hours. Though I won't say it's perfect, could use some tweaking.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^But that means you'd spend 80 hours holding a Steam controller, i'm pretty sure there's laws against that sort of punishment.

Argue posted:

I wish we could go back to the old format of having two threads, where one was for Nintendo Gloom and Houndoom and the other one was the cute thread for cute gamers.

There's not much cute left on the U :/ there's TMS #FE which owns and is amazing, but it has its own thread, so the only Wii U discussion left would be about how much some nerds hate Color Splash.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
How good is DKC Tropical Freeze?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How good is DKC Tropical Freeze?

Exceedingly good.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hope the NX has decent 3rd party support of some kind because I like Nintendo games sometimes but I wouldn't want to invest a big chunk of change into a console that could only play nintendo games. It would be like buying a TV that only plays films from one director.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Red Bones posted:

I hope the NX has decent 3rd party support of some kind because I like Nintendo games sometimes but I wouldn't want to invest a big chunk of change into a console that could only play nintendo games. It would be like buying a TV that only plays films from one director.

Serious question; what if it was $200?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Wii U Gamepad is good, I love being able to use it to view maps, character stats, and read texts in my favorite game, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Being able to check a map or futz with my inventory while on the go in Wind Waker HD was pretty great, too.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I actually love the feel of the WiiU game pad. I don't see how people hate it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
the gamepad is ok but it's no wavebird

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I also am fond of the gamepad and, having huge hands, it fits me very well. At the same time, I agree that they should have sold that separately while also doing more with split screen/off screen play to encourage sales. Instead of packaging that with the system include a fun game, which they ended up doing anyway because initial sales were rubbish. Throw in a pro controller and Bob's your uncle.

The battery life also bothered me as well. I had a birthday a month ago and I plumped for the official Nintendo high-capacity battery, which does indeed make a huge difference and probably should have been included in the first place.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The high-cap battery should have come standard, but I'm not sure how a company could both make the gamepad an add-on peripheral and do more cool stuff with it. If it didn't come standard nobody would have done much of anything with it.

Not to mention the games that required it would probably have not sold half as well. What would Splatoon have looked like if you had to purchase a relatively expensive peripheral to play it?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like using the WiiU gamepad but I also like the first Xbox controller so I'm wrong a lot.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Good points, but I think that you would have to design games to be fun & functional without the tablet, but make it so that the tablet offers a superior play experience that will tempt people to buy it.

I think that, if you do the game & pro controller bundle, you can sell the system for about 250USD, maybe even less, and you sell more systems by undercutting Sony and MS and including a good game (my Wii U came with Mario & Luigi U, for example) while the competitors can't be bothered.

I don't think that this would have "saved" the Wii, but I think that it would have done better. I didn't care much for the original Wii even though it sold like mad, but I love my Wii U despite it being a commercial flop and I'm very glad that I have one.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

JustJeff88 posted:

Good points, but I think that you would have to design games to be fun & functional without the tablet, but make it so that the tablet offers a superior play experience that will tempt people to buy it.

Nobody but Nintendo itself would have incentive to add any kind of gamepad support, and the gamepad would be pretty expensive for a controller, probably over $100 USD. I just don't think there's a market for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I really think that if the Wii U had launched with Nintendoland and Mario Maker rather than Nintendoland and Yet Another New Stupid Mario Brothers the console could have been a success. Everyone I've shown mario maker to who doesn't have a wii u is smitten!

• Locked thread