Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't know how anyone can not be super loving hyped about Luke Cage, it looks awesome and Mike Colter is absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

No one calls actually calls Hell's Kitchen Clinton lol.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mover posted:

No one calls actually calls Hell's Kitchen Clinton lol.

Careful, somebody might accuse you of having been to New York!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You care an unreasonable amount at least

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

And that ninjas and yakuza are not in fact invading hospitals in that neighborhood?

That you know of! :tinfoil:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I bought the rationale of "rich people can afford to leave the blown-up alien warzone, and did, and property values kinda suck there now on account of being an alien warzone that smells like rotting space leviathan or whatever the gently caress those giant snakes that Hulk and Iron Man and Thor kept killing and leaving to cook in the New York summer."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

After I got home from Suicide Squad last night, I got dragged into watching Catwoman and Fantastic Four (2005) with some friends. That Catwoman movie was like some sort of fever dream, Jesus Christ.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Finally saw Suicide Squad and good lord what a mountain of hot garbage. The tragedy is I can see the skeleton of a decent movie trying desperately to crawl it's way out from the crushing weight of poor editing, bizarre character choices, and oddly wobbly CGI. There were so many individual things that I actually loved and it sucks that they're buried deep inside this nightmarish slog of corporate panic.

I can only hope against hope that there's someday a Rogues movie and Jai Courtney gets way more screen time because I loved what we got to see of his Digger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Which includes Degrassi and possibly the Flarrowverse. (Jay cameoed in an ep of The Flash that Kevin Smith directed)
Actually Degrassi is not part of it since Kevin Smith and Jay Mewes played themselves playing Jay and Silent Bob in a movie being made at Degrassi.
:goonsay:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Also Jay was just some random rich guy in that episode of the Flash.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah I don't think Mewes was playing Jay in his Flash cameo.
efb

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget that Scream 3 is an official View Askewniverse tie-in.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wowzers. I'd love to hear his opinion on The Killing Joke.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In related news, Ghostbusters 2016 looks to be heading to, at a minimum, a $70 million loss. It's apparently so bad rumors are flying that Sony's shuttering their entire live action slate for GB and focusing solely on animated efforts from here on out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

In related news, Ghostbusters 2016 looks to be heading to, at a minimum, a $70 million loss. It's apparently so bad rumors are flying that Sony's shuttering their entire live action slate for GB and focusing solely on animated efforts from here on out.

That sucks

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ghostbusters is gonna be an interesting case study in how not to market a movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Well to be fair so did the movie. It was a waste of all the main stars talents, especially Wiig and McCarthy. The two current SNL cast members managed to be standouts despite a threadbare script, bewildering editing, and Feig doing his trademark "point the camera and just tell people to riff, fix it in post".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but so did the first two and they did fine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Well to be fair so did the movie. It was a waste of all the main stars talents, especially Wiig and McCarthy. The two current SNL cast members managed to be standouts despite a threadbare script, bewildering editing, and Feig doing his trademark "point the camera and just tell people to riff, fix it in post".

The movie was actually fine for the most part, and seeing it in a theater packed with Girl Scouts highlighted who it was for and how much they enjoyed it. It has the issues you laid out, I can't deny that though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Like so many other Sony properties, it would have probably been massively better if Disney was making it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Like so many other Sony properties, it would have probably been massively better if Disney was making it.

I humbly disagree.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The trailers were god awful and the impression I get is that the writing is terrible. It felt like a cheap cash in to me with all of the product placement and distracting CGI. I think one thing people forget about the original is that at times the performances are very subtle and the characters are extremely well written. It's too bad they had all of those issues with Winston's character being downgraded from an original script since he was a good fit with the rest of them as the skeptic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The trailers were god awful and the impression I get is that the writing is terrible. It felt like a cheap cash in to me with all of the product placement and distracting CGI. I think one thing people forget about the original is that at times the performances are very subtle and the characters are extremely well written. It's too bad they had all of those issues with Winston's character being downgraded from an original script since he was a good fit with the rest of them as the skeptic.

The writing in the actual Ghostbusters 2016 film is actually a fair bit more subtle than in the trailers and while it has some exaggerated moment it actually does some good character building beats too. It's not as good as the original by any means but it's better than the trailers make it out to be. The writing is less of a problem than the editing which is genuinely pretty bad and there's at least one major character beat noticeably absent from the film.

That said I disagree that the characters were well written in the original Ghostbusters though. A lot of them were entirely saved by their performances. Peter Venkman on paper is a tire fire of a character. He's a horrifying abusive molester who spends his time insulting an EPA agent for wanting to check their unlicensed nuclear reactor. If anyone else but Bill Murray played him he'd be unsalvageable. Ghostbusters is a film saved entirely by its incredibly strong cast and direction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah people tend to look at the original ghostbusters with extreme rose tinted glasses at least when looking from a critical point of view.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Kind of a shame about Ghostbusters because I liked it a lot, even if it was pretty much just edited together from footage of the actors yes-anding each other for hundreds of hours.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Save two franchises with one stone and make Paranormal Activity x Ghostbusters. You'll never believe the hijinks these ladies get up to when paired with a shaken suburban family that is hiding a very witchy secret.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It surprised me that McCarthy in particularly was so weak, because in my opinion of the cast she's the best there is at yes-anding. There are so many middling movies where her performance is the best thing and elevated the whole film. For example This Is Forty is fairly weak as a whole but then she shows up in a mostly improv'd principles office scene and had me in complete stitches. And in Spy she's just amazing throughout.

In Ghostbusters she's so oddly insubstantial.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The original script had her in the Leslie Jones role, basically playing a version of her character that she always plays. Apparently she didn't want to do that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

greatn posted:

It surprised me that McCarthy in particularly was so weak, because in my opinion of the cast she's the best there is at yes-anding. There are so many middling movies where her performance is the best thing and elevated the whole film. For example This Is Forty is fairly weak as a whole but then she shows up in a mostly improv'd principles office scene and had me in complete stitches. And in Spy she's just amazing throughout.

In Ghostbusters she's so oddly insubstantial.

Not that she needed to be a whackjob, but having her play everything so straight and earnest was a missed opportunity. She didn't need to be like her Bridesmaids role. Like you said, in Spy she's incredible.

God, Spy was the whole reason I was looking forward to Ghostbusters. A McCarthy-Feig genre send-up that beautifully mixed action and comedy. They just needed to make the same thing but about ghosts and not James Bond.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The weird thing is I thought in Bridesmaids her best scene was the one where she was reserved and talked real to Wiig about what friendship was and how she was being lovely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought Spy was awful and why I wasn't at all interested in seeing Ghostbusters. (That and the really dull trailers.) I think I just don't like Feig movies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I may have enjoyed Spy more because I watched it on a 12 hour flight, so it's going to be the best thing happening to me at the time in comparison to the rest of my environment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm definitely the odd man out among our friends for liking Spy and I thought (probably like they do) it'd be another eye-roller like Tammy or The Boss or whatever, but I was really surprised. A lot of those same people really liked Ghostbusters, actually :shrug:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Michael Chernus is playing Tinkerer in Spider-Man Homecoming

http://deadline.com/2016/08/michael-chernus-spider-man-homecoming-villains-1201801646/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And there are rumors that Bokeem Woodbine's character is Shocker

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Dacap posted:

Michael Chernus is playing Tinkerer in Spider-Man Homecoming

http://deadline.com/2016/08/michael-chernus-spider-man-homecoming-villains-1201801646/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And there are rumors that Bokeem Woodbine's character is Shocker

How many villains do we need in a Spider-Man movie? Didn't they learn from Spider-Man 3 or more recently, The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Although, it might work if the Tinkerer works with the Vulture and is the one that helps create his wings or whatever. Time will tell I guess.

Also, some Aquaman movie speculation regarding the villain:

The Wrap posted:

The Wrap has exclusively learned the bad guy of the movie will be Aquaman’s deadliest and most-famous opponent — Black Manta. “Aquaman” diehards should go nuts for the film’s adherence to DC lore — “Aquaman” first introduced the villain in 1967. In DC’s “New 52” reboot, Black Manta is a man in a suit with no innate super powers.

http://www.thewrap.com/aquaman-villain-revealed-exclusive/

Not surprising, I could see Black Manta translating well onto film. I'm not sure who else is in Aquaman's rogues gallery that would work, as I haven't really read any solo Aquaman comics.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 10, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jonny_Rocket posted:

How many villains do we need in a Spider-Man movie? Didn't they learn from Spider-Man 3 or more recently, The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Although, it might work if the Tinkerer works with the Vulture and is the one that helps create his wings or whatever. Time will tell I guess.

Also, some Aquaman movie speculation regarding the villain:

What if they finally do what people have been speculating since 2001 and have a little montage of Spidey taking out a few of his b-listers on his way to homecoming or something? Could be really fun if they do it right.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Travis343 posted:

What if they finally do what people have been speculating since 2001 and have a little montage of Spidey taking out a few of his b-listers on his way to homecoming or something? Could be really fun if they do it right.

That's true! I didn't really think about it that way - I totally agree it could be fun.

On a side note - too bad we couldn't get someone like King Shark in the Aquaman movie, that'd be so awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah people tend to look at the original ghostbusters with extreme rose tinted glasses at least when looking from a critical point of view.

I've heard old men call it "The best comedy of all time" and it's like... that was a comedy? I mean there's jokes in it but it's mostly just a movie about a weird concept with some humor peppered throughout.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Blazing Saddles is the greatest comedy of all time. I love Ghostbusters but it's not even the funniest movie Bill Murray has been in.

It is however the funniest movie Dan Aykroyd has been in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Blazing Saddles is the greatest comedy of all time. I love Ghostbusters but it's not even the funniest movie Bill Murray has been in.

It is however the funniest movie Dan Aykroyd has been in.

You can go screw yourself as long as Blues Brothers exists. :colbert:

• Locked thread