Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

They're amazing and I love them but I know that somewhere some dour, humorless neckbeard is raging over them for "not taking the hobby" seriously or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ten Becquerels posted:

Went looking for colour scheme ideas for a possible Tyranid army since some people I have on Facebook have been talking about playing, but they all play 40k. Found a jacked hormagaunt:

I like the paintjob but all I can imagine is getting 30 sets of carnifex claws to make a unit of them. It'd look pretty hilarious, at least.

The thing is, I know I have the parts to do this in a box, and I'm always really tempted not to sell two boxes of 40k bits and sprues just so I can do goofy rear end poo poo like this.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
l lovve the chariots, especially the swan with the little... swan-thinglets.

Also, who steals Warhammer armies? That's like the time one guy on Three Moves Ahead recounted the story about how his apartment got robbed... and the thieves took all of his Advanced Squad Leader stuff.

Who steals things like that?

I mean, I would, but I'm no professional thief.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Miniatures cases often look like camera, gun or instrument cases is the real answer.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JcDent posted:

l lovve the chariots, especially the swan with the little... swan-thinglets.

Also, who steals Warhammer armies? That's like the time one guy on Three Moves Ahead recounted the story about how his apartment got robbed... and the thieves took all of his Advanced Squad Leader stuff.

Who steals things like that?

I mean, I would, but I'm no professional thief.

How else can you afford and justify starting a GW game these days?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Miniatures cases often look like camera, gun or instrument cases is the real answer.

That's what broke the camel's back on the Bits Wagon van, when it got stolen in Baltimore because of the black GW cases in the front seat that looked very much like pistol cases. The cases ended up getting tossed out the window in front of the courthouse where they were destroyed by the bomb squad. No clue if they ever found the van.

The time that it got stolen in East Hartford and was found completely emptied of all the bits in the back, that might be another story.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
If you leave your car in East Hartford you deserve what you get.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Not a viking posted:

Some not-High Elves Sky cutter chariots from this years ETC tournament.

Though tbf, they were removed from the table by the judges.

These are rad. gently caress that judge.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I wonder if that was a quick trip to a corner store of if he generally just keeps a bunch of cat food, booze and assorted small plastic birds within arms reach.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I wonder if that was a quick trip to a corner store of if he generally just keeps a bunch of cat food, booze and assorted small plastic birds within arms reach.

I've got to go with "this is what he had in the house", with the possible exception of the birds. If you're going shopping for substitutes, I doubt you'd arrive on these pieces

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm going with "there was a poundland in walking distance of the venue"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, those look like the sort of things you pick up from a poundland, or charity shops.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is, I know I have the parts to do this in a box, and I'm always really tempted not to sell two boxes of 40k bits and sprues just so I can do goofy rear end poo poo like this.

40k is already pretty goofy so any excuse to make it goofier is a good excuse. I would seriously enjoy seeing or having a unit of super beefy gaunts, but I don't have the parts so you should do it so I can live vicariously through you.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dude made a truescale Marine! Too bad tacmarines ain't worth poo poo these days...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's sweet as hell.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
When people make true scale Marines, is it better to use that method or the one using Terminators as a base?

I want to make a truescale Chaos Lord for a painting project.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Never understood why GW didn't just make truescale marines and double the price. There would be enough nerds out there who would replace their entire armies with them.

They could even release a single model to test the waters before they go whole hog with it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Z the IVth posted:

Never understood why GW didn't just make truescale marines and double the price. There would be enough nerds out there who would replace their entire armies with them.

They could even release a single model to test the waters before they go whole hog with it.

Because the shoulder pads look nearly reasonable on the true scale marine and then they'd lose their intellectual property.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They're getting closer. New Deathwatch marines are noticeably taller/bulkier.

"Normal" dudes only come up to about their shoulders (we used a chaos cultist).

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

JcDent posted:

Dude made a truescale Marine! Too bad tacmarines ain't worth poo poo these days...

Run them as terminators.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Z the IVth posted:

Because they'd need to redo every range of Marines at once, including upscaling their vehicles significantly.

Floppychop posted:

They're getting closer. New Deathwatch marines are noticeably taller/bulkier.

"Normal" dudes only come up to about their shoulders (we used a chaos cultist).
I think a lot of that just comes down to the Deathwatch guys standing up straight instead of power squatting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What with the hyper-muscles and inches-thick power-armour there's just too much in the way to stand with your legs together. Unless they've got bowed legs.

Naked space marines all look like giant toddlers with rickets.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

SRM posted:

Because they'd need to redo every range of Marines at once, including upscaling their vehicles significantly.

Better yet, don't. Because then all of the vehicles can look like clown cars with lines of impossibly big men climbing out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How is that different from now?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

this is loving awesome

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So what you need for a true-scale marine are longer legs and a wider/longer torso?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

goatface posted:

What with the hyper-muscles and inches-thick power-armour there's just too much in the way to stand with your legs together. Unless they've got bowed legs.

Naked space marines all look like giant toddlers with rickets.

People always bring this up as a criticism, see: all the tracing of "look at how insane this dude would look inside this armor" people do on SM. But, like, that poo poo is canon. Marines are supposed to look like horrible deformed gorilla men outside of their armor. They have an entire system of sub-dermal armored plates and an entire set of extra organs, they gonna look hella hosed up. GW has done some dumb poo poo, but the whole "the purity of the human race is being defended by horrifying steroid fueled murder experiments" was a very intentional thing born out of that old GW late 80's British comic aesthetic.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Also they're cartoon characters

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Quick, someone redesign the power armor around Haftor Bjornson. The great thing about marines is that as long as you leave the helmet, the shoulderpads and the backpack alone, you can do anything you want.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

JcDent posted:

Quick, someone redesign the power armor around Haftor Bjornson. The great thing about marines is that as long as you leave the helmet, the shoulderpads and the backpack alone, you can do anything you want.

Because you just listed about 60% of the models surface area. Another 10-20% is taken up by their beefy weapons.

Mr. Civilised
Nov 14, 2006
'A touch of class'

Ugleb posted:

Because you just listed about 60% of the models surface area. Another 10-20% is taken up by their beefy weapons.

With the remaining percentiles satisfied by skulls and purity seals.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

IT CAME FROM 4CHAN!

To be fair, I'm sure the guy is trolling, he asked if this was OK for a Marine librarian

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The greatest librarian.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

That guy knows poo poo that makes Slaanesh devotees blush.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Chapter Master or GTFO.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Having librarian as your chapter master results in bad RTS games.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

JcDent posted:

Having librarian as your chapter master results in bad RTS games.

Are you criticising Dawn of War here? :colbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Only Dawn of War II & co.
I guess it's Dawn of War 3, too, since I have zero faith in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah Dawn of War 3 seems like a step backwards from the really nicely done coverage based and tactical feel of 2. Going back to bland base building and blobbing up units to crash into other blobs