Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So evidently Firaxis took a look at Huns and said "You know we made a pretty OP civ. Now how can we make them even better?" and came up with Scythia :stare:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kurtofan posted:

The Kurgan

My cut has improved your voice!

Is it just me, or did the fog of war re-appear when the unit moved closer to the city? Like, the map tiles became completely covered again instead of just greyed out?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Super Jay Mann posted:

So evidently Firaxis took a look at Huns sand said "You know we made a pretty OP civ. Now how can we make them even better?" and came up with Scythia :stare:

I do hope this isn't more Beyond Earth syndrome, where the balance of abilities is all over the place.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I've been wanting a Tomyris-led Scythia in since Civ IV was released, thank you Firaxis

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Scythia's capital in Civ 6 is Pokrovka, which is clearly a Russian name.
I know it's a place in Russia where archeologists found some Scythian stuff but drat, that's some sloppy naming. I'd rather have Firaxis make something up based on what we know about their language(s) and call it a day.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Civ 6 looks.....good? I feel like this is a trap.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Is it just me, or did the fog of war re-appear when the unit moved closer to the city? Like, the map tiles became completely covered again instead of just greyed out?

Yes, but the map features represent the specific terrain/features that it covers, so you still know what's there.

I have been playing some Civ V these days (with CBP), and I have to say I am looking forward to the new leader screens. I mean, not every leader is Montezuma, and compared to the cartoonish look of Civ VI, the old leaders seem like they are straight in the middle of the Uncanny Valley.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Peas and Rice posted:

My cut has improved your voice!

The stylized map is the fog of war.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rexides posted:

Yes, but the map features represent the specific terrain/features that it covers, so you still know what's there.

I have been playing some Civ V these days (with CBP), and I have to say I am looking forward to the new leader screens. I mean, not every leader is Montezuma, and compared to the cartoonish look of Civ VI, the old leaders seem like they are straight in the middle of the Uncanny Valley.

I've been desperately trying to get into the CBP but I'm finding it hard to like. The happiness system is just killing me and I totally can't figure it out. Plus lots of weird other changes I can't seem to adapt my playstyle to.
On the flip side, the AI actually colonizes more than 4 cities in a game, so I keep at it.

I'd be totally happy just with vanilla civ5 with some balance changes that make the players and AI want to colonize every scrap of land eventually.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

Genghis gonna have to step up his hair game if he wants to compete widdat

They may go with Kublai this time around and have them be enlightened Khans instead.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Genghis gonna have to step up his hair game if he wants to compete widdat

Omnicarus posted:

They may go with Kublai this time around and have them be enlightened Khans instead.
Haven't seen a screenshot confirmation of it yet, but apparently Genghis Khan was mentioned as a Great General with some kind of cavalry bonus. Not that Firaxis is beholden to their Great People lists; the option always exists to replace them with other names like they have City States that became full-fledged civs in expansions.

(Others on the list of Great Generals: Hannibal Barca, Boudica, Jeanne D'arc, Gustavus Adolphus, and Ana Nzinga.)

Great Zimbabwe is a world wonder.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

berenzen posted:

Or just go whole hog with stealing from Endless Legend and have stacks that cap out at a certain number of units and then play a combat minigame to determine combat.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This, except without the minigame. Tactical combat in EL is the biggest drag.

I would really like a system that somehow took your economic and technological throughput and converted it into some sort of power projection, with at most some high-level strategic decision-making. I have never been into Civ for the wargame-type play.

EL's combat isn't amazing since making decent combat AI is difficult for Firaxis let alone an indie studio. Consider the extra level of tedium it would add to MP games which is a common problem with that kind of tactical battles, most matches will end up in auto resolve.

I think it can be improved to be more enjoyable but Civ benefits from a more streamlined combat system, stack or IUPT with a simple simulation.

Researching stack improvements and strategic military upgrades to create distinctions between a science heavy peaceful faction and a high tech domination victory faction are worthwhile mechanics to look into. Age of Wonders has the best combat system out of any modern TBS that the AI can handle however that level of detail is entirely out of Civ's usual scope.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 10, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I've always really enjoyed Civ games right up until the point where a turn can take an hour as you locate and painstakingly redirect 50+ units. Then I get frustrated and restart. I only ever beat the game if I go for a non-military victory.

I've never really seen how people who are good at the game actually manage big armies. Now I'm kinda curious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was actually easier in older games, since you just built one doomstack of units and rolled them over as a group from city to city

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I've been desperately trying to get into the CBP but I'm finding it hard to like. The happiness system is just killing me and I totally can't figure it out. Plus lots of weird other changes I can't seem to adapt my playstyle to.
On the flip side, the AI actually colonizes more than 4 cities in a game, so I keep at it.

I'd be totally happy just with vanilla civ5 with some balance changes that make the players and AI want to colonize every scrap of land eventually.

Happiness in CBP is based on the outputs or defense of the city with certain buildings reducing the need per population. Cities can also be affected by religious unrest and pillaged tiles. Each city needs to generalize somewhat as a consequence of the happiness system, but that's largely consistent with CivV's approach to cities.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I've always really enjoyed Civ games right up until the point where a turn can take an hour as you locate and painstakingly redirect 50+ units. Then I get frustrated and restart. I only ever beat the game if I go for a non-military victory.

I've never really seen how people who are good at the game actually manage big armies. Now I'm kinda curious.

The dirty secret of Civ V is that you don't need big armies at all. 2 archers and a cavalry are all you need until you get bombers, then you just need some bombers and a tank.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was actually easier in older games, since you just built one doomstack of units and rolled them over as a group from city to city

you can do that if ur a huge scrub, but you can also use 2-movers to fork cities and murder units on the field so you can capture enemy cities as quickly as possible before they whip their pops into units

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I've been desperately trying to get into the CBP but I'm finding it hard to like. The happiness system is just killing me and I totally can't figure it out.

Go into each individual city screen, and hover over the "Happiness" output in the top left part of the screen (it's going to be the only negative). Check the breakdown in the tooltip, and build the appropriate building.

As for how it's calculated, I am not sure. The game mentions something about your citizens checking some kind of global average for your outputs, and getting unhappy if you are below that. I don't necessarily think it's a good system, but gives you more breathing space when building new cities.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I hosed up my happiness big time in my first game with the CBP, but then I got used to the mechanics and didn't have a problem in my next two games - but only because I managed it carefully. Here's my top tips:

* A luxury only gives you 1 happiness so don't get too excited when you're connecting one
* A garrison in every city - it's the easiest way to keep the "Crime" unhappiness modifier down
* Some luxury monopolies give a tidy sum of happiness, so check your Monopolies window for potential monopolies
* Religious Divisions seems to be the biggest source of unhappiness in my experience, so try to focus conversion on those cities you want to keep in your religion, and be willing to cede other cities if the pressure is too great (I have only played one game in which this was a problem though, so I'm unsure if this is the best method... I know a few wonders cut down religious divisions too)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

The Kurgan
They want the prize.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Powercrazy posted:

The dirty secret of Civ V is that you don't need big armies at all. 2 archers and a cavalry are all you need until you get bombers, then you just need some bombers and a tank.

Hmm? Can you explain that? How does that work? None of these get pelted to death by a city or melee? I mean, 3 or 4 archers would make sense, but 2?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That's some hyperbole but the point he's trying to make is you just need some ranged units so weaken the city then a melee unit to just waltz in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And the right promotions on your ranged units can eventually get them extra range and double-attack, so if you're willing to tediously farm a city-state for unit experience, you can get some really ridiculous units. The AI tries to avoid sending units into range of your ranged units if it can help it, so they're pretty safe even without a melee unit to serve as a meatshield.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The slower the gamespeed you play, the more true that statement is. Since the AI is horrible at combat, Quick speed is the hardest speed to play at.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And the right promotions on your ranged units can eventually get them extra range and double-attack, so if you're willing to tediously farm a city-state for unit experience, you can get some really ridiculous units. The AI tries to avoid sending units into range of your ranged units if it can help it, so they're pretty safe even without a melee unit to serve as a meatshield.

Basically, training up ranged units to their fourth upgrade gives them an extra range promotion or an extra attack promotion. In both regular and CBP, these are invaluable upgrades. By getting up to Barrage or Accuracy 3, the Range and Logistics upgrades both become available. This means a set of Level 4 ranged units and a single melee unit are the minimum necessary to take out a city. Mounted units are preferred as they can come from outside the range of the city to capture it. Any extra units are just to whittle the city down faster or protect the ranged units.

CBP does mitigate the advantages they provide by changing what Barrage and Accuracy does (less powerful overall, but more generally applicable), separating Range and Logistics (Range at the end of Accuracy and Barrage at the end of Logistics) and adding a ranged combat strength penalty to those upgrades. Additionally, Cities in CBP, while initially only having one combat range eventually goes up to three to match Artillery. CBP also makes cities beefier iirc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Looks like liberation in VI might be useful for offsetting accrued warmonger penalties.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Didn't it do that in 5 also?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

Didn't it do that in 5 also?

It claimed to, but in practice everyone still hated you if you went a-conquering.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it was patched in post-BNW

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think it was technically earlier than that, but it only got tweaked upwards to useful levels in the last couple patches.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hogama posted:

Looks like liberation in VI might be useful for offsetting accrued warmonger penalties.
I think the UI in VI is beautiful in general, but dear god, someone get an outline on that highlighted text.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Ghostlight posted:

I think the UI in VI is beautiful in general, but dear god, someone get an outline on that highlighted text.

They also need a color blind mode. The view for city settling is red, light green, and green.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
but red and green are the only colors I can see

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

http://www.sullla.com/Civ4/RBPB2-5.html

I don't know maybe this entire MP war report is just him saying "our doomstack rolled over their doomstack before it could roll over one of our cities" but stretched out over several thousand words or maybe Civ 4 combat is actually...quite deep.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Chucat posted:

this entire MP war report is just him saying "our doomstack rolled over their doomstack before it could roll over one of our cities" but stretched out over several thousand words

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Comparing MP combat in Civ4 to SP combat in Civ5 would be silly anyway. You'd need to compare like for like, and MP combat in Civ5 is much more challenging* (so long as it's not simultaneous turns, otherwise it's just click-first-to-win).

* edit: that is to say, much more challenging than SP combat in Civ5 (which is not a high bar to clear). I have to little experience of Civ4 combat to make a comparison myself

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 11, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having played both and repeatedly kicked the OP in the teeth in Civ5, I can say that both are indeed quite deep. Civ4 does have the advantage that there is more interplay between the combat and economic systems.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Shitposting aside I keep meaning to go back and play Beyond the Sword but holy god the UI is so terrible. Why is the End Turn button a tiny dot in one corner? How did anyone think that was okay?

I wish it had the mod support Civ 5 does though. Firaxis, get it hooked up to that workshop, stat!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What I'm saying is that some prince level retard shittalking Civ4 impresses noone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
King level retard, thank you very much. :colbert: