Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Grrrrrr

*boop!*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I know it's a bad arm punch, but what exactly is wrong? Is he not timing his hips with his arms? Mistimes a weak distraction jab, and basically commits his whole body to a tepid uppercut to the body?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Team_q posted:

I know it's a bad arm punch, but what exactly is wrong? Is he not timing his hips with his arms? Mistimes a weak distraction jab, and basically commits his whole body to a tepid uppercut to the body?

it's disingenuous to say 'literally everything' but that is honestly what's going on. he's punching like he's doing a front lateral raise which might be the weakest possible arm punch. most of a punches power is generated in the legs and hips, and it looks like he is actually bouncing forward meaning he doesn't even have a base. defensively, it is really important to have your chin tucked to your chest to brace your neck, and it is desirable to have the hand that is not punching retracted to your face or 'chambered' so you can defend or attack again. if your style does not require your hands to be by your face at all times (see: dom cruz, tj dillashaw), then you need to have your feet in the perfect position and be completely on balance to react defensively to anything that might be coming back at you. punk is doing literally none of these things.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cabbit posted:

Actually this is the right thread to lol at CM Punk

I meant that I had initially posted in the wrong thread, but as I wanted to have a post with content I chose to laugh at CM Punk.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Team_q posted:

I don't train and am not particularly adept at analyzing striking by any means, but the main things he's doing wrong that even I can tell are defensive. He's got his chin straight up and extended outward, he isn't moving his head and his hands are way down while he throws slow, weak, aggressively lovely combos, so anyone halfway worthy to fight in the UFC would wreck his poo poo right here in an actual fight unless he happens to just have a chin of solid granite. Without seeing his lower body it's hard (at least for me) to tell if he's doing some obvious bad things that are robbing his punches of torque and power they could have, but he's probably not trying to throw rocks at 100% power in sparring while documentary cameras are rolling, even at Rofousport.

Obviously sparring is not a real fight and obviously we have no context at all for this exchange, so it could be at the end of a long day of training and he could have been doing this same combo drill for like 10 minutes so he might just be dead tired and have nothing left in his arms, so it is possible this is not as bad as it looks. He's still showcasing some really bad defense here though, and if they were filming b roll any longer than a few minutes and that's still the best footage they could pull for a trailer on a higher-end documentary, that's a very bad sign even beyond the obvious aspect of "37-year-old untrained pro wrestler."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

On the bright side, it made me interested in the documentary

If that was good enough to be in the trailer, what else is on the actual official show

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good uppercuts are so beautiful to behold.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 10, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'd like to reiterate that the punch punk is throwing is the most perfect invitation to the most brutal of knockouts, where the neck snaps around like a whip, their body goes completely limp, and their head bounces off the canvas, where they remain long past the time the fans are done hootin and hollerin about the sick ko and sobers everyone up with the reality that something could be seriously wrong. it might be the worst punch thrown in earnest both offensively and defensively. it's pretty much completely imperfect.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Good uppercuts are so beautiful to behold.

this actually contrasts really well with punk's uppercut to demonstrate the power generated in the legs (though not so much in the defensive aspect). notice how in this one his punch lands just as his feet leave the floor on the bounce. this indicates the full force of his hips and legs are on the end of that punch. conversely, in the punk uppercut, you can watch his bounce peak while his arm is still rising, his punch connects when the rest of his body is actually going down.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This one too, zero real defense, 100% kill shot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

for my money, the most technically perfect uppercut thrown in mma was from pickett. this is prescribed as a cure for erectile dysfunction in some countries

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As for leading with an uppercut and getting punished for it...

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

for my money, the most technically perfect uppercut thrown in mma was from pickett. this is prescribed as a cure for erectile dysfunction in some countries

Wow, you can pinpoint the exact moment his brain checks out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

I had forgotten that, but yeah, that's a beaut

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This one too, zero real defense, 100% kill shot.

there's lots of defense there. he's at a very well cut angle, pulling his head off the center, and using his footwork to avoid the chance of a retaliatory shot. also he's prepared, versus punk, who isn't

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

How do you train getting hit in the face for real? Like are the people he's sparring really digging him or holding back?

This is the kind of secretive MMA knowledge that gets passed down from master to student, and isn't available at places like Roufusport, but the real champions train in not getting hit in the face.

Failing that, though, it's certainly something you can build experience of that's going to benefit you in competition. If you've never done it before, your natural reaction when you first spar is going to be to go full Zoolander and oh god my beautiful face why is someone not coming to arrest this man help mother I'm dying, until you get used to the fact that a punch in the face is going to hurt a bit, but it isn't actually the end of the world unless you do something real bad and dumb like throw a shitass long right uppercut with your chin up and your left hand in your pocket

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

How do you train getting hit in the face for real? Like are the people he's sparring really digging him or holding back?

it's all about confidence. not being flinchy doesn't come from being hit a whole bunch, but from having the confidence that you either can take the punch flush and not worry or defend it

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

This looks so bad that I believe he really threw it at this speed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
On Smackdown Eva Marie is currently doing a CM Punk gimmick where she goes to the ring and then pretends to be injured and is paid obscene amounts of money for it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Where's the one where Wanderlei is drilled and just starts blindly throwing uppercuts while out on his feet and gets the KO

Or maybe that was someone else

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Intruder posted:

Where's the one where Wanderlei is drilled and just starts blindly throwing uppercuts while out on his feet and gets the KO

Or maybe that was someone else

you mean when Chris Leben knocked him out from the clinch?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Tim Boetsch's Jack Johnson style ko of Yushin "Thank You" Okami owned too, but those are very weird and specific

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
No but that one's pretty cool too thanks

e: the one I'm thinking of, and it may not be Silva and I'm just misremembering, the fighter eats a big shot up against the cage and his legs are like jello but he just wings punch after punch and lands a knockout

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 10, 2016

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
That might be Leben vs Terry Martin?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
not the one you're thinking of either but eating big uppercuts against the fence and legs turning to jello makes me remember

it needs to be said again watch all of these other uppercuts then watch the CM Punk one. very nice

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

well that documentary trailer certainly made me more hype for this fight

punk gon get killed

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

That might be Leben vs Terry Martin?

i'd never seen this before and god drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEjYd0LU4I

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Chris Leben really got a lot of mileage out of being too stupid for his brain to realize he was being knocked out.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Chris Leben really got a lot of mileage out of being too stupid for his brain to realize he was being knocked out.

I'm glad we're talking about him again, feels too long since I got to type Chris Leben Owns.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bluedeanie posted:

Chris Leben Owns.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I think my intro to Leben was tuning into one of my first live UFC events and finding out he was 1) on the card and 2) about to have his third fight in a four-month span

I still don't know if I think Chris was cool, insane, or both, and with each new development I become even less sure

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHVhlXojQ9c/

Gall hitting the pads

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Notice he keeps his chin tucked at all times and his guard is almost always up. I think Gall is gonna gently caress punk up.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

don't be scared punk

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Notice he keeps his chin tucked at all times and his guard is almost always up. I think Gall is gonna gently caress punk up.
Can't see his knuckles, though.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Punk's gonna die.....

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gaz2k21 posted:

Punk's gonna die.....
i disagree and i think it's super cool when people who have had at least a dozen concussions and a fractured skull are allowed to compete in professional mixed martial arts for the first time at 39 years old.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Upon seeing what is ostensibly Punk's best quality of sparring compared to Gall's, most people here (myself included) feel extremely comfortable saying Gall is going to obliterate Punk.

What's most fun to consider is based on the fact that Gall's career afterward will consist of crushing three cans making their pro MMA debuts, we will still have no reason to believe Gall's even truly good enough to deserve his spot on the UFC roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

What championship did the guy wearing the pads win to get that belt?

• Locked thread