Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

The Iron Rose posted:

You wait till september and save an extra $200 while you are doing so.

I'm dense, care to elaborate? I've looked through the last half dozen or so pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ArgaWarga posted:

I'm dense, care to elaborate? I've looked through the last half dozen or so pages.

Check out the first three sentences of the OP

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ArgaWarga posted:

Not very well considering I've posted about this easily a half dozen times myself in the last 10 pages.

E: to be fair, it was all 6 and 7 pages back.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 9, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap Windows 10 laptop with similar battery life and browsing performance to a C720 Chromebook? Mine was stolen and while I wouldn't mind looking for another 4GB i3 C720, I'd like to play some really simple games (like retro-style indie games or whatever) or emulators on it on an upcoming international flight. Is what I'm looking for possible in the $200-300 range, or is Chromebook performance pretty much unbeatable there?

Edit: A good trackpad would be nice too.

This seems decent: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Yoga-Convertible-11-6-inch-Touchscreen/dp/B01G0T3Z10/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470763539&sr=8-3&keywords=yoga+3

Even if the battery life is a couple hours less than my C720. I have no experience with Yogas, though.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 9, 2016

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a Windows laptop in the $700 range? Are there any particular brands I should be looking at? It's going to be used primarily for school and work.

Edit: I'm looking at the Lenovo T460. Anyone got one? How do they like it?

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 9, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

T460 is a great option, you can get a base model Dell XPS 13 for $799, that's a great deal/laptop

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://store.hp.com/us/en/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=1305658&storeId=10151

I'll drop this here because someone might be interested. 17" HP with a 960M for $650. Not that we're recommending getting a Maxwell right now instead of waiting for Pascal, but that's a decent price for an entry-level gaming laptop. It has i7, 4 GB VRAM, touchscreen, and 4k display upgrades among other things, but that does negate some of the price advantage.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anybody have suggestions for the cheapest laptop that will run Drawful 2/Jackbox 2/Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes on Steam?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The first two basically don't have any requirements (just, "a recent Windows machine.") The last one appears to be able to take advantage of a GPU, so a recent (4th-gen or better) i3 system should be fine, and you'd be looking at something in the $300 range. For example, of these refurbished systems on Woot:
http://computers.woot.com/plus/a-hapless-pride-of-hp-laptops-4?ref=cp_cnt_odet_cp_crum_2_wp
The i3 ones or even the A10 one should be fine.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Any opinions on the ThinkPadX1 Yoga? I'm looking for something that is both comfortable to use on planes/busses for my gamedev shenanigans and decent/fast enough to work with on a desk if I'm away from home for an extended period. My games don't require much GPU pizzazz.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Gaspy Conana posted:

Any opinions on the ThinkPadX1 Yoga? I'm looking for something that is both comfortable to use on planes/busses for my gamedev shenanigans and decent/fast enough to work with on a desk if I'm away from home for an extended period. My games don't require much GPU pizzazz.

6th gen Intel Core should be totally fine for Dropsy 2. Or 90s Internet Drifter. If you're devving in Fusion it'll definitely be fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anybody have suggestions for the cheapest laptop that will run Drawful 2/Jackbox 2/Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes on Steam?

Neither of my parents laptops were powerful enough to play these well, actually. It was passable on an i3-3217u, a 1.8GHz Ivy Bridge 15W i3, but was very unhappy on a dual-core Bay Trail Celeron.

Unless it really needs to be a laptop, the cheapest way to play the Jackbox games is probably an Xbox One, available for ~$220 new or even less used. If you're going for a used laptop, I'd find a used Haswell i5 ideally.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 10, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man I really look forward to Kaby Lake refreshes, with what I assume will be widespread Thunderbolt support. Many of the ThinkPads seem an excellent option to me, and I don't normally want a dGPU. Every now and then I sort of want the ability to play some games in rather "docked" situations though, and it does seem like thunderbolt external gpus really is a thing that is happening.

Will be so pleasing to not have to load down my laptop with an overpriced compromise of a gpu, and instead get a low-end desktop card in an, admittedly overpriced, enclosure. Fingers crossed.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Has anyone tried buying laptops in Europe/Germany? The OP-recommended T440/450 that I can find are €1100+ :stare:. Best I can find is a T460 for 900€ on Lenovo's student discount store, without Windows even. Is there some other brand that is not as hosed up in price around here, with similar specs?

Mostly looking for:
-i5-i7
-8gb RAM, or 4 but can be expanded later
-14" screen or smaller
-6+ hours of battery
-Budget of ~700€, the less the better of course

Hopefully this time my expectations are more grounded :downs:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Markovnikov posted:

Has anyone tried buying laptops in Europe/Germany? The OP-recommended T440/450 that I can find are €1100+ :stare:. Best I can find is a T460 for 900€ on Lenovo's student discount store, without Windows even. Is there some other brand that is not as hosed up in price around here, with similar specs?

Mostly looking for:
-i5-i7
-8gb RAM, or 4 but can be expanded later
-14" screen or smaller
-6+ hours of battery
-Budget of ~700€, the less the better of course

Hopefully this time my expectations are more grounded :downs:
The OP recommended Thinkpads can generally be found a good deal cheaper on eBay - they're refurbished models so not brand new, but will still last as long as you need them. I don't know if it's different in Germany but in the UK I got my Thinkpad about £300 cheaper from eBay than it would have been new

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

The OP recommended Thinkpads can generally be found a good deal cheaper on eBay - they're refurbished models so not brand new, but will still last as long as you need them. I don't know if it's different in Germany but in the UK I got my Thinkpad about £300 cheaper from eBay than it would have been new

Yeah, I'm finding much saner prices there, thanks.

Can I just say how much I hate the fact that laptops with the same name can have completely different specs? Getting back into pcs after years of being off the wagon is quite the task.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Neither of my parents laptops were powerful enough to play these well, actually. It was passable on an i3-3217u, a 1.8GHz Ivy Bridge 15W i3, but was very unhappy on a dual-core Bay Trail Celeron.

Unless it really needs to be a laptop, the cheapest way to play the Jackbox games is probably an Xbox One, available for ~$220 new or even less used. If you're going for a used laptop, I'd find a used Haswell i5 ideally.

Sounds like my recommendation was a good guess then, never having played those games. I was considering saying to go with 3rd-gen Core thinking the iGPU was still passable, but wanted to err on the safe side. Intel integrated graphics are getting significantly better with every generation, fortunately.

The Bay Trail didn't work because it's actually a low-end Atom-SoC-based line, rather than being a Broadwell- or Skylake-based Celeron.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Man I really look forward to Kaby Lake refreshes, with what I assume will be widespread Thunderbolt support. Many of the ThinkPads seem an excellent option to me, and I don't normally want a dGPU. Every now and then I sort of want the ability to play some games in rather "docked" situations though, and it does seem like thunderbolt external gpus really is a thing that is happening.

Will be so pleasing to not have to load down my laptop with an overpriced compromise of a gpu, and instead get a low-end desktop card in an, admittedly overpriced, enclosure. Fingers crossed.

Just make sure you get a laptop with a decent CPU, preferably quad-core, because a lot of laptops nowadays come with ULV dual-core parts that will be a significant bottleneck in a gaming situation, even with a desktop GPU. Some games will simply refuse to run (GTA V) without a quad-core, for example.

Markovnikov posted:

Can I just say how much I hate the fact that laptops with the same name can have completely different specs? Getting back into pcs after years of being off the wagon is quite the task.

Well the model name is more like the "style" or "family" of laptop, which generally share the same chassis and maybe mobo but are otherwise configurable. You may be looking at Lenovo T460s but the actual model numbers will be like "X9D8-P124" which more directly links to the configuration.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Can anybody attest to the 14-inch Lenovo Flex 4's screen quality?

It looks like the 14-inch Flex 3's had mediocre screens, but I've been told they're using a new IPS panel now.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Let me guess. Costco?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have recommendations for websites for used/refurbished/open box laptops besides lenovo scratch and dent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Success. I've been playing wow at work on the Wirecutter approved laptop.

Thanks thread.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KildarX posted:

Anyone have recommendations for websites for used/refurbished/open box laptops besides lenovo scratch and dent.

Amazon, Woot, eBay, Meh.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a good site or source for Lenovo x250 parts? Specifically I'm after the 1080p IPS screen.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have a good site or source for Lenovo x250 parts? Specifically I'm after the 1080p IPS screen.

eBay always has parts. For example, is this the one you're looking for? Item # 142066992595

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Shamefully borrowing this from reddit

Total budget and country of purchase: $400 US
Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications to your requirements for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Good battery life, thinner
How important is weight to you? I'll be carrying it in my backpack/around campus 99% of the time.
Which OS do you require? Windows, Linux, Mac. W10
Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13
Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. No intense usage. Just internet, microsoft office, streaming video
Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, etc? Good trackpad and keyboard would be good unless someone can recommend an actually silent mouse.

goodness fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 11, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you really need Windows if you're just doing Internet/Office/Netflix? A $400 laptop will have a really bad display, bad battery life, bad keyboard, and bad trackpad. You need to bump it up another $200-250 for a decent laptop.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you really need Windows if you're just doing Internet/Office/Netflix? A $400 laptop will have a really bad display, bad battery life, bad keyboard, and bad trackpad. You need to bump it up another $200-250 for a decent laptop.

I don't really if Chromebook can run office stuff well. I also am ok with a refurb

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

goodness posted:

I don't really if Chromebook can run office stuff well. I also am ok with a refurb

Of course ChromeOS does office stuff well. Your options are: Google's productivity apps (Docs, etc.); Office.com; running LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc. in a full Ubuntu installation. You can try them all right now on the PC you're using.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Of course ChromeOS does office stuff well. Your options are: Google's productivity apps (Docs, etc.); Office.com; running LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc. in a full Ubuntu installation. You can try them all right now on the PC you're using.

Is there anyway to get Microsoft Office for free on ChromeOS if I have it on a windows pc?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

goodness posted:

Is there anyway to get Microsoft Office for free on ChromeOS if I have it on a windows pc?

You can use MS Office Online for free! Go to office.com and try it out now!

It's basically MS's version of Google Docs.

If it works for you and you feel you're good to go with a Chromebook, let me know and I'll give you the recommendations per your requirements.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 11, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Atomizer posted:

You can use MS Office Online for free! Go to office.com and try it out now!

It's basically MS's version of Google Docs.

If it works for you and you feel you're good to go with a Chromebook, let me know and I'll give you the recommendations per your requirements.

Looks like it would work!

I could go up to in the 500 range if it would net a decent windows10/would be worth it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

goodness posted:

Looks like it would work!

I could go up to in the 500 range if it would net a decent windows10/would be worth it.

You will periodically see Thinkpad x250's refurbished for under $500

There's an i5 with 8gb ram on there right now for $499. I would buy that immediately if my old laptop died. That's last year's model and would have cost $899 or more.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 12, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ok, if you're going to go with a ~$500 Windows laptop then go for it, otherwise these Chromebooks meet your criteria:

Toshiba CB2 (2015): Good performance, great display & speakers, backlit keyboard. You have your choice of the Celeron (which is fine) or i3 (a slight upgrade), New or Refurbished (which I'm sure will be fine, and you'll save a bit of cash,) respectively:
amazon.com/Toshiba-Chromebook-CB35-C3300-Backlit-Keyboard/dp/B015806LMM/
amazon.com/Toshiba-Chromebook-CB35-C3350-Backlit-Keyboard/dp/B015806LSQ/
amazon.com/Toshiba-Chromebook-CB35-C3300-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01B6KT8AA/
amazon.com/Toshiba-Chromebook-CB35-C3350-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01C917KZK/

Lenovo 13 CB: About $430+ when upgraded to the 1080P display, and not yet available with a touch panel (supposedly coming in October.) The Celeron 3855U should be fine. This'll be a durable option with the good Thinkpad keyboard (but no Trackpoint.)
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/13-series/chromebook/

Dell CB 13: You can get the base model for ~$430+. Everybody loves this CB; it's a little heavy but durable. Good performance with the 3215U Celeron and 4 GB of RAM, backlit keyboard, great touchpad, 10+ hour battery life. You'd have to pay extra for a touchscreen or CPU/RAM upgrades (which are worth it) but the base model will be just fine:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/chromebook-13-7310/pd?ref=PD_OC

The Toshiba is a fantastic CB and will probably be the best option (especially the refurb) due to features vs. price but the Lenovo/Dell are more durable for being business-class machines.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

eBay always has parts. For example, is this the one you're looking for? Item # 142066992595

I think/hope so. Didn't think of eBay, it's a lot easier and safer than alibaba. Does anyone know how well the 1080 screen will do lower resolutions? I'm still a bit nervous 1080 on the 12" screen will be micro.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I think/hope so. Didn't think of eBay, it's a lot easier and safer than alibaba. Does anyone know how well the 1080 screen will do lower resolutions? I'm still a bit nervous 1080 on the 12" screen will be micro.

Oh don't worry about that; it's way better to have a slightly higher resolution display than you need than a lower one. You can always adjust scaling and text size and such, or even lower the display resolution in the OS, but you'd regret having a 720p display a lot sooner because there's nothing you can do about it.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I was really happy to read the OP and see that the T420 at $200-$300 was a good option. I have been looking on eBay and there are plenty with SSD, 8 gb ram, i5, win 7, and some kind of warranty. Can anyone recommend a specific seller or any dos/donts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$300 for a T420 is $100 too much IMO

Terrible screen, battery is probably close to dead by now...

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

$300 for a T420 is $100 too much IMO

Terrible screen, battery is probably close to dead by now...
Has a one year warrenty and seller states 2-3 hours of battery life.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252493337457?_mwBanner=1

Im open to suggestions on how to spend 200-300 and not get a chromebook.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Vital Signs posted:

Has a one year warrenty and seller states 2-3 hours of battery life.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252493337457?_mwBanner=1

Im open to suggestions on how to spend 200-300 and not get a chromebook.

lmao oops

hope you don't ever need to boot from a USB or anything!!!

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

lmao oops

hope you don't ever need to boot from a USB or anything!!!
I really need to read more carefully. At any rate, there are similar listings that don't have this issue.

Edit, like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-...U4AAOSwZVlXrP4z