Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Kurzon posted:

Secondly, the DC Universe and Marvel Universe are practically the same in terms of tone and style.

But the first couple of DC movies definitely didn't have the endlessly quippy dialogue or the flat "television look" that are the main hallmarks of the Marvel style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Suicide Squad opens with a joke about Nutraloaf and ends with Gozer The Gozerian destroying the NSA. It kinda owns.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
After a particularly hard fought game of touch football, Ant-Man prefers oranges over apples. Therefore DC is superior since they are oranges.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Suicide Squad opens with a joke about Nutraloaf and ends with Gozer The Gozerian destroying the NSA. It kinda owns.

Yeah, I find it incredibly interesting that both this and the official reboot of Ghostbusters came out in the same year.

edit: It's also a lot like "Planet Terror."

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Kurzon posted:

Perhaps. The point is the "apples vs oranges" argument does not fly here. First, the last three DCU movies have been lukewarm. Secondly, the DC Universe and Marvel Universe are practically the same in terms of tone and style.

I looked at your posts in this thread though and recurring theme in your criticism of Suicide Squad is that you disagree with the movie for political reasons. The idea that Waller is (and should be) the villain of the film eludes you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't understand why a movie can be an unentertaining, ugly fire pit as long as one of the screenwriters thought they had something interesting to say but utterly failed to say it.

I'd rather a film say something interesting and be a good film. The MCU is bland entertainment (an average plain chicken breast) while the DCU is a failed attempt to be interesting (a raw chicken's head on a plate).

Both are poo poo but I prefer the edible poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In this analogy, your mixed-metaphor youtube comment would be a box of cyanide shakenbake.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Raw chicken is edible.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This super hero bubble can't burst soon enough. I actually thought Suicide Squad would be DC's Guardian's of the Galaxy: a little known property that gives artistic freedom to the director. But no, it also just exists to set up Justice League. I criticize all of the recent Marvel movies as being more concerned with setting up the next movie than just being a good movie in their own right. I felt the same with Suicide Squad. Batman being in the Joker's flashback is one thing, but he was also in Deadshot's flashback and Deadshot's dream sequence. And the Flash was in Captain Boomerang's flashback. Also, for all the hype about the Joker being in the movie, he only exists as an interlude to promote the next Batman film. He is not related to the plot in any way, and the only thing his appearance to rescue Harley serves to do is maybe add some character depth to Harley and Deadshot (who need it the least; they already have 90% of the dialogue amongst the group).

Also there were too many flashbacks and if they wanted to do a Quentin Tarantino style introduction for the characters they should have just owned it and hired Samuel L. Jackson to do the voiceover.

edit: the only tie-in that I really liked was the idea that Suicide Squad was shot down once already, but now that Superman is dead the government needs a contingency plan to stop the next threat. To me, that made sense. This movie couldn't have existed while Superman was alive.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 10, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Slowpoke! posted:

Also there were too many flashbacks and if they wanted to do a Quentin Tarantino style introduction for the characters they should have just owned it and hired Samuel L. Jackson to do the voiceover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81AZnu3qPis

Genuinely think this could have fit Boomerang.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lord Krangdar posted:

But the first couple of DC movies definitely didn't have the endlessly quippy dialogue or the flat "television look" that are the main hallmarks of the Marvel style.
That's Snyder's style, yeah. I was referring to the comic books. Marvel and DC books are very similar to each other, which is not surprising as they share writers and artists and until recently were both based in New York.

Sinding Johansson posted:

I looked at your posts in this thread though and recurring theme in your criticism of Suicide Squad is that you disagree with the movie for political reasons. The idea that Waller is (and should be) the villain of the film eludes you.
Oh, I totally agree with you that she's a bad to the bone. My complaint was that its views on how law and government work are too ridiculous for a movie where these are central themes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Joker scenes (which are more often actually Harley scenes) are there to represent this netherworld of paralyzed, Dionysian anarchy that exists just beyond the margins of Batman v Superman. It's very much like the climax of Lego Movie, where the number one threat to the 'structured play' of father-and-son bonding is an infantile, feminine imagination; or the Abstract Thought sequence in Inside Out, where the development of 'complex emotions' is hindered by the characters taking a literal narrative 'short cut.' Task Force X represents an attempt to impose 'structured playtime' over the collective imaginary, to limit the potential for chaos.

The reverse of this is that when you represent this netherworld, it's associated with libidinal disappointment and threats to gender/sexual norms. Both Joker and Harley 'cocktease' male victims, pursing their deep red lips and making impossible demands.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgyH9k1CSM

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You gotta love Leto's enthusiasm for the role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY57u1GzUSU

Oh, and Ayer finally explained the thing about the "damaged" tattoo

David Ayer posted:

"This is sort of my personal thing and maybe less about a larger connection. But Joker killed Robin and Batman basically smashes his teeth out and locks him up in Arkham Asylum. It’s in the asylum where Joker would have done the ‘damaged’ tattoo as a message to Batman saying, 'You’ve damaged me. I was so beautiful before and now you’ve destroyed my face.' That’s where the grill comes from."

He also explains the Squad's mission

David Ayer posted:

"The movie is basically Amanda Waller covering up her mistake, because she was the one that decided to use Enchantress as part of the original core Suicide Squad. Waller deploys her to clean up this entity that appears, which unbeknownst to Amanda is actually Enchantress’s brother. So Enchantress engineers her escape from Amanda Waller and then Waller decides to cover it up by having the Suicide Squad rescue her and get her out of that city. It’s funny because the plot gets deemed as being incredibly simple, but it’s actually extremely complex!"

All in all is an interesting read.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Is the speaking stick figure supposed to be the author insert? Isn't he usually wearing a crudely drawn fedora to prove his cool outsider status?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You gotta love Leto's enthusiasm for the role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY57u1GzUSU

Oh, and Ayer finally explained the thing about the "damaged" tattoo

He also explains the Squad's mission

All in all is an interesting read.

That is a very charitable usage of the word "complex"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Guy A. Person posted:

Is the speaking stick figure supposed to be the author insert? Isn't he usually wearing a crudely drawn fedora to prove his cool outsider status?
Perhaps, but it could just as well be me. Maybe I will make the last panel my avatar.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

piratepilates posted:

That is a very charitable usage of the word "complex"

Yeah, I mean compared to other blockbusters, maybe, but compared to basically any other movie it's par for the course.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kurzon posted:

Perhaps, but it could just as well be me. Maybe I will make the last panel my avatar.

Nobody was at any point convinced that you knew what you were talking about. You can't even quote a Dilbert correctly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kurzon posted:

Oh, I totally agree with you that she's a bad to the bone. My complaint was that its views on how law and government work are too ridiculous for a movie where these are central themes.

they aren't

the terrific thing about this comic is that with no actual changes it becomes a commentary on social skills and tolerance rather than holding up the delusional narrative the XKCD guy thinks it means

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like how Literary Criticism Graduate Students sit on the floor to make it easier to talk down to them like children.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

That would be a good warning to others that you are an insufferable prick yeah

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Burkion posted:

That would be a good warning to others that you are an insufferable prick yeah
We deserve each other.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they aren't

the terrific thing about this comic is that with no actual changes it becomes a commentary on social skills and tolerance rather than holding up the delusional narrative the XKCD guy thinks it means

To be really specific, the comic is about Dilbert imagining himself in different social situations. And even in his power fantasy he write three books on a topic he doesn't care about just to mildly impress a few people he hates, while the majority still find him instantly offputting.

And it also betrays that he has no ability to discern truth from falsity. The comic says "I have no actual argument."

It's an autistic dude performing a Turing test on himself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

as a high-functioning autist i resent the comparison

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OH I have a better joke about the arrogant stick figure number man:

"he should try to pass himself off as a 10th grade art student and see how long he lasts"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Can we just do all of our argument in the form of food comparison from here on out?

Good references to comics are like a good banana, but that one was like a banana peel you'd find in the garbage. Covered in coffee grounds.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Captain America: Civil War is like a pasta primavera served at a mid-range restaurant in a big city but BvS is exactly like a chicken vesuvio served at the second best restaurant available in your hometown suburb.

I said it, come at me :colbert:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nobody was at any point convinced that you knew what you were talking about.

Honestly, what this is making me think of is how every time someone does a long parody meltdown post with the stated goal of "See, I can post meaningless theory poo poo just like SMG does!", their writing style is nothing like yours. Which is weird, because it's not like you don't have a style that's very distinctive, easy to mimic, easy to make fun of, and-so-on

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sinding Johansson posted:

I looked at your posts in this thread though and recurring theme in your criticism of Suicide Squad is that you disagree with the movie for political reasons.

That's par for the course in CD.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's fine to dislike a movie for ideological reasons. Just (as Harley says :v: ) own that poo poo.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Why doesn't Battfleck crush the skulls of or machine gun the gently caress out of Joker, Deadshot, Harley, etc? Does he only do that to henchmen nowadays?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BobKnob posted:

Why doesn't Battfleck crush the skulls of or machine gun the gently caress out of Joker, Deadshot, Harley, etc? Does he only do that to henchmen nowadays?

Batman only kills in the immediate defense of himself or others, and those folks never put him in that position.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BobKnob posted:

He did, but they were resurrected through comic book logic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was about to say that think the implication is that this is post-BvS Batman who is no longer criminally insane, but he does continue killing people in BvS even after deciding that he is Superman's friend.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
KGBeast would have lived if he hadn't tried to fry Martha. That's on him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I was about to say that think the implication is that this is post-BvS Batman who is no longer criminally insane, but he does continue killing people in BvS even after deciding that he is Superman's friend.

he's a friendly, well-adjusted vigilante who dresses up as a flying rat. what's not to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd like the next incarnation of The Joker to be a woman.

• Locked thread