Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I stopped following comics a few years ago and even then I only read the Ultimate comics. What the gently caress happened since then? They combined the universes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They had a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" style world-merger that jettisoned 99% of the Ultimate universe save Miles Morales and Evil Reed Richards that also conveniently made the Fantastic Four practically non-existent and the X-Men marginalized as hell.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So they revealed that Ultimate Peter Parker was actually alive and in hiding only to kill him and literally everything else right after?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

P. much yeah

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cowman posted:

I'm assuming he's going for the "unintended consequences" and "every action has a reaction" poo poo.

saving that bus full of kids? turns out they're all gonna grow up to be rapists now, how do you feel about that CLARK!?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Watching this scene again i noticed at 0:22 an open field/farmland landscape behind the bus and then 1 second later, a bridge flanked by dense forest.

Snyder is a HACK:goonsay:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mind the walrus posted:

They had a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" style world-merger that jettisoned 99% of the Ultimate universe save Miles Morales and Evil Reed Richards that also conveniently made the Fantastic Four practically non-existent and the X-Men marginalized as hell.
Don't tell me you believe the conspiracies that Marvel is loving over the FF and the X-Men because the movie rights are owned by Fox; FF was cancelled because they were selling terribly and X-Men are still pretty big for Marvel. Inhumans are much better than the mutants anyway.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

Don't tell me you believe the conspiracies that Marvel is loving over the FF and the X-Men because the movie rights are owned by Fox; FF was cancelled because they were selling terribly and X-Men are still pretty big for Marvel. Inhumans are much better than the mutants anyway.

lmao no one cares about the Inhumans

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Eastbound Spider posted:

Watching this scene again i noticed at 0:22 an open field/farmland landscape behind the bus and then 1 second later, a bridge flanked by dense forest.

Snyder is a HACK:goonsay:

The bus also has the emergency escapes at the top. You literally just turn a handle and push them open once you can reach them.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Why is this thread 140 pages long

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm only showing 119 :shrug:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Beef Turret posted:

Why is this thread 140 pages long

As long as Zack Snyder is making poo poo superbatman movies, our threads will live on!

Also this

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm only showing 119 :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't believe the conspiracies that people at Marvel (specifically Ike Perlmutter) is loving over the FF and the X-Men, I believe that Marvel as a company has deliberately marginalized the two and pushed the Inhumans because the historical record shows that that is what they have loving done.

Although given the rumors and history of Perlmutter over the years, it does sound plausible. I mean Geoff Johns bent the entire DC Universe over backwards to bring back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen, and Joe Quesada hosed over 25 years of Spider-man stories to undo his marriage. It's not like that kind-of petty behavior would be unprecedented.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The worst thing comic books ever did was bring people back from the dead

Is wolverine back yet, I think most people don't even know he's "dead"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes/No. They brought "Old Man Logan" back. I think he's from an alt. timeline and not just an aged Wolverine, but honestly I can't be bothered to find out. All I know from snippets of what I read online, he's functionally identical to regular Wolverine, people just make "old man" jokes now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mind the walrus posted:

Joe Quesada hosed over 25 years of Spider-man stories to undo his marriage. It's not like that kind-of petty behavior would be unprecedented.

Quesada making Spider-Man single for the first time in a quarter of a century because he had a hard on for the lovely "Peter can't date because his web slinging gets in the way" stories of his childhood is still one of the stupidest things which has ever happened in comics*.

Having a sniper take down Aunt May and then making Spider-Man sell his marriage to the devil to save her :ughh:

* Not to mention how contemptuous it was to the readers.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mind the walrus posted:

Yes/No. They brought "Old Man Logan" back. I think he's from an alt. timeline and not just an aged Wolverine, but honestly I can't be bothered to find out. All I know from snippets of what I read online, he's functionally identical to regular Wolverine, people just make "old man" jokes now.

Scratch my last post, the dumbest thing comics ever did was Alternate Timelines

Like a few glimpses into other universes were cool and fun(haha Batman meets 60's Batman and it's wacky) but becoming part of the regular storylines... Ugh

Comic books are for idiots

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
All the talk of how bad the Ultimates was doesn't mention how bad Ultimate Comics: Ultimates: The redundanting was

It started off with a neat idea about a time-dilation society where they advance 1000 years in less than a day and then come out and start kicking everyone's asses with super advanced technology.

That one proved homeless Thor was actually a god despite having the harness and mechanical hammer since after the super advanced society shot laser beams at Odin and killed that tree he went and got his harness and mechanical hammer back.

Man then America fractured because Reed Richards attacked the government? And captain america had to stop texas from nuking california or something?

I think it ended when all of reality exploded or susan storm hosed a robot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

I unironically agree with this.

Gorilla Salad posted:

* Not to mention how contemptuous it was to the readers.

No what was contemptuous was the rationale

"Kids can't relate to him anymore"

--said to a public audience, half of whom grew up in the 80s and 90s liking Spider-Man while he was married.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I don't believe the conspiracies that people at Marvel (specifically Ike Perlmutter) is loving over the FF and the X-Men, I believe that Marvel as a company has deliberately marginalized the two and pushed the Inhumans because the historical record shows that that is what they have loving done.

Although given the rumors and history of Perlmutter over the years, it does sound plausible. I mean Geoff Johns bent the entire DC Universe over backwards to bring back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen, and Joe Quesada hosed over 25 years of Spider-man stories to undo his marriage. It's not like that kind-of petty behavior would be unprecedented.

The other thing is that the X-Men titles have slowly marginalized themselves into their own mutant ghetto subuniverse within the Marvel Universe whole. They have their own crisis that never seem to affect the other Marvel superheroes, their own special event crossovers, their own supervillains, they even have their own space stuff with the Shi'ar and the Brood. Speaking of which...

Don Tacorleone posted:

Scratch my last post, the dumbest thing comics ever did was Alternate Timelines

Like a few glimpses into other universes were cool and fun(haha Batman meets 60's Batman and it's wacky) but becoming part of the regular storylines... Ugh

The X-books are particularly notorious for this. It seemed every year or so following Age of Apocalypse, there was another X-book crossover that was some sort of alternate timeline.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

All the talk of how bad the Ultimates was doesn't mention how bad Ultimate Comics: Ultimates: The redundanting was

It started off with a neat idea about a time-dilation society where they advance 1000 years in less than a day and then come out and start kicking everyone's asses with super advanced technology.

That one proved homeless Thor was actually a god despite having the harness and mechanical hammer since after the super advanced society shot laser beams at Odin and killed that tree he went and got his harness and mechanical hammer back.

Man then America fractured because Reed Richards attacked the government? And captain america had to stop texas from nuking california or something?

I think it ended when all of reality exploded or susan storm hosed a robot.

Don't forget that the Ultimates gave us Marvel Zombies, a joke that ran for far too long.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 8, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Yoshifan823 posted:

You're missing the fact that we already got the scene that shows just how out of Batman's league Superman is, and it's the very first time the two meet. The only difference is, it's not filmed like the moment in Returns where Clark walks heroically towards a gatling gun, it's filmed like the punchline to a joke. You watch a chase scene that is filled with the Batmobile crashing through pretty much anything they put in front of it, to the point where it just drives directly through the hulls of boats, and buildings, eventually in slow motion, and then Batman turns a corner, we get the "oh gently caress god has come to take me" look on Affleck's face, and then the Batmobile bounces off of Superman like a lovely wind-up car. It's hilarious.

I swear, every time people poo poo talk that movie as if "Batman v Superman is poo poo" is some sort of cinematic axiom, I just want to sit them down in front of the movie and watch them watch it, so I know that we actually watched the same movie.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CharlestonJew posted:

saving that bus full of kids? turns out they're all gonna grow up to be rapists now, how do you feel about that CLARK!?

More like:

"Save that bus of kids? Now everyone's going to want you to help them and save them"

Isn't that why Superman's famous and kind of his main thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"45 seconds of this movie looked like my elementary school fantasies of how the fight in Dark Knight Returns would look in live action. Clearly anyone who hated the surrounding 2.5 hours must be crazy."

Cowman posted:

Isn't that why Superman's famous and kind of his main thing?

It's impressive how they found a guy who hates Superman to make a movie about Superman and at no point during production did anyone go "hey this guy really hates Superman, won't that be a problem if we're selling this to people who presumably like or even love Superman?" It's the kind-of cosmic punchline Vonnegut could have thought up if he had cared to.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Snyder should do the next Spiderman movie. With great power comes great ability to tell others to gently caress off

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

The best way to present the destruction of Krypton is the way Siegel and Shuster did:

He works a whole lot better as immigrant/messiah if you just don't put a bunch of specific poo poo in his backstory but DC kept spackling on more and more dumb bullshit.

Grondoth posted:

This is how I came to understand the idea of Superman, too. Superman was a plea for responsible power, he was beating up mob bosses trying to get protection money and out on the streets fighting riot cops in his first run. The core thing about superman is that he can do anything, but he does the right thing. The idea that he was 'destined to lead the earthlings' and that he 'doesn't owe this world a drat thing' just completely miss what makes the character compelling.

yeah i know everything thinks superman is boring but i've loved the fact that he's a guy who can do anything but does the right thing due to how he was raised. he's a reflection of us, he thinks humanity is good at its core. he's a response to the idea that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 9, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/sprobeforebros/status/763127670322278400

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"It's just a movie don't take it so seriously and enjoy it."

/proceeds to tank actual real world relationship because opinions differ

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The giant dumb man baby turns out be an MRA dope! Truly a shocking twist.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

isn't the attn to the nintendo prostitute

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dear reddit,

My boyfriend is throwing a huge diapermad tantrum over comics books movies. Should I dump him.

E: He's an MRA but I let it slide because that's not a red flag right?

E2: I'm in the trunk of his car. I just woke up. I can hear buoys so I think he drove me out to the river. I can feel chains around my feet. Not sure if I should dump him. What do?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My boyfriend deeply idolizes the Joker and wants me to roleplay as Harley Quinn outside of the bedroom. He likes to wave red flags to tell me when I should start and stop roleplaying. My friends are concerned but I think he's just into semaphore.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Internaut! posted:

nintendo prostitute

mods

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Internaut! posted:

isn't the attn to the nintendo prostitute

No that's not my twitter handle.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Dear reddit,

My boyfriend is throwing a huge diapermad tantrum over comics books movies. Should I dump him.

E: He's an MRA but I let it slide because that's not a red flag right?

E2: I'm in the trunk of his car. I just woke up. I can hear buoys so I think he drove me out to the river. I can feel chains around my feet. Not sure if I should dump him. What do?

Any women who hears "men's rights" from a boyfriend should just loving run.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

I did not realize this movie film titled "Suicide Squad" about a bunch of murderers and psychopaths and supervillains who where imprisoned for willfully breaking laws and/or inflicting bodily harm on others or have bad edgy tattoos and like to abuse their subordinates mentally, physically, and sexually and who spend the movie joyously hitting and/or killing other people was so important to "SANE PEOPLE."

But hey, at least it doesn't pander to womens and browns. And that's what's really important.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Glass Joe posted:

I did not realize this movie film titled "Suicide Squad" about a bunch of murderers and psychopaths and supervillains who where imprisoned for willfully breaking laws and/or inflicting bodily harm on others or have bad edgy tattoos and like to abuse their subordinates mentally, physically, and sexually and who spend the movie joyously hitting and/or killing other people was so important to "SANE PEOPLE."

But hey, at least it doesn't pander to womens and browns. And that's what's really important.

:can:

Suicide Squad stars two white women, a Japanese woman, a black woman, 2 black men, a latino man, an Inuit man, and 4 small bit roles for white men.

Ghostbusters had three white ladies and a black stereotype.

:can:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Verhoven had great representation figured out in '87. Look at boddiker's gang

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Police Academy basically invented third wave inclusive feminism.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh man, oh man, Die Antwoord calling out the movie... http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10/die-antwoord-suicide-squad

quote:

A few bad reviews didn’t stop Suicide Squad from shattering box office records, but at least a few people are very vocally angered by the film: Die Antwoord have accused director David Ayer of ripping off their style.

In an Instagram video posted early Wednesday morning, the South African hip-hop trio expose, in their words, “all da lil tiny details [they] nibbeld [sic].” The clip flashes through a montage of side-by-side photos of singers Ninja and Yolandi Visser alongside Jared Leto’s Joker character and Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn, respectively.

“yes David Ayer u jockin our style. callin ninja up before your movie came our pretendin 2b down, so it looks OK when u bite our black & white graf style & our opening sequence,” Visser wrote.

She went on to slam Ayer for “pretendin 2b down,” saying he talked up the band on set and even invited them to the movie’s premiere, but never asked their permission to allegedly swipe their aesethetic.

“Cara [Delevingne] & Jared told us how much u were talkin abt us on set but u never asked our permision to rip us off. An when ninja texted u sayin wassup wif dat u said nothin like a scared lil bitch,” she continued. “U were jus flauntin our names pretendin to b down. u aint down an u never will b.”

In the past, Die Antwoord have been subject to similar allegations themselves. A 2012 teaser for their second studio album,Ten$ion, featured characters resembling Jane Alexander’s 1986 sculpture The Butcher Boys, and was later removed from the internet due to copyright claims. It’s since resurfaced on fan accounts.

Ayer has yet to respond to Die Antwoord’s claims. The group is set to release their fourth record, Mount Ninji and Da Nice Time Kid, Sept. 16. Watch their Instagram video below.

That concept art also bares a lot of resemblance to Ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Breaking: An aryan guy that calls himself Ninja is concerned about whether people are "down" or not.

In a related story, a packet of mayonnaise hopes to be put on vinegared french fries instead of a "jive turkey".

• Locked thread