Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you're gonna have the Tinkerer in a movie with the Vulture, best to interpret him as Goon Tinkerer since otherwise you'd have two crusty old hook-nosed tech villains.

Also not surprised they want Tinkerer in there. I've never liked the idea but it's popular to have an easy, single source for other (lesser?) villains down the line. It's usually Norman Osborn.

Dacap posted:

And there are rumors that Bokeem Woodbine's character is Shocker

His gauntlets need to incorporate this somehow:

(Yes, that's an obscure reference to The Big Hit)

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Travis343 posted:

Blazing Saddles is the greatest comedy of all time. I love Ghostbusters but it's not even the funniest movie Bill Murray has been in.

Blazing Saddles is phenomenal, and one of the greatest comedies, but I also think Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Airplane, Animal House and The Big Lebowski belong in that league as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Travis343 posted:

Blazing Saddles is the greatest comedy of all time.

:hfive: Yeah boyee!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Blazing Saddles is phenomenal, and one of the greatest comedies, but I also think Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Airplane, Animal House and The Big Lebowski belong in that league as well.

Don't forget Hot Shots Part Deux.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Animal Crackers

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Bruceski posted:

Animal Crackers

You misspelled Duck Soup.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
There must be some word filter that keeps changing Clue to other movies, it's annoying.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Toxxupation posted:

In related news, Ghostbusters 2016 looks to be heading to, at a minimum, a $70 million loss. It's apparently so bad rumors are flying that Sony's shuttering their entire live action slate for GB and focusing solely on animated efforts from here on out.

That's a huge shame, I really, really liked the new Ghostbusters. The only issue I had with it was that third act fight scene. I haven't seen Spy, but from that scene I get the impression that Paul Feig just doesn't really have a grip on directing action because that scene just felt very flat to me. But other than that I loved it. I mean, it doesn't beat the original, but then again, neither did Ghostbusters 2. It's been a while since I last saw that, but I feel like I'd tentatively put the new one slightly above 2 even.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

How many villains do we need in a Spider-Man movie? Didn't they learn from Spider-Man 3 or more recently, The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Although, it might work if the Tinkerer works with the Vulture and is the one that helps create his wings or whatever. Time will tell I guess.

Civil War had like 8 villains.

(Team Cap.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

(Team Cap.)

My worldview has been completely flipped upside down

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm looking forward to the scene where Tony beats Tinkerer just by making fun of him and shaming him

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ImpAtom posted:

The writing is less of a problem than the editing which is genuinely pretty bad and there's at least one major character beat noticeably absent from the film.

How odd. Seems like it's been a bad year for film editing. I honestly can't recall a time ever when a film review bitched about it at all or even mentioned it prior to this year. Now we have SS, BvS and Ghostbusters all talking about wonky editing.

edit: And all you fuckers keep misspelling "Raising Arizona"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

How odd. Seems like it's been a bad year for film editing. I honestly can't recall a time ever when a film review bitched about it at all or even mentioned it prior to this year. Now we have SS, BvS and Ghostbusters all talking about wonky editing.

It's super noticeable in all of them honestly. In Ghostbusters there's a clear point where the team breaks up over a conflict which is missing entirely from the film which weakens the third act because "one of the Ghostbusters comes back to save the day" is sort of meaningless without it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Travis343 posted:

but enough about your posting

How's this for a knee slapper -

The most brave and powerful people in suicide square were women. Besides Diablo of course.

I'll be here all night, tip your Travis's

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

AAA DOLFAN posted:

How's this for a knee slapper -

The most brave and powerful people in suicide square were women. Besides Diablo of course.

I'll be here all night, tip your Travis's

It is true that Waller is brave and Enchantress is powerful. I'm not sure how Katana or Harley add to either of those points. At least any more than Deadshot or Flag or Croc. Especially with as little character as we get for Katana.

Aphrodite posted:

(Team Cap.)

I believe the record will show that Team Iron Man didn't have Captain America on it. Therefore they were the bad guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah try explaining that to the brain damaged UN prison guards.

It might take a few tries.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah try explaining that to the brain damaged UN prison guards.

It might take a few tries.

To be fair you already have to be pretty stupid if you're going to get into a fist fight with Cap and you're not some kind of special powered person, technologically powered person, magically powered person,..............etc etc and so forth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jiro posted:

To be fair you already have to be pretty stupid if you're going to get into a fist fight with Cap and you're not some kind of special powered person, technologically powered person, magically powered person,..............etc etc and so forth.

It's exactly what Cap would do in their situation.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The people under Sokovia don't give a poo poo about those UN guards getting punched. Ya know, cause Tony's bad puppy dropped meteors on them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It is true that Waller is brave and Enchantress is powerful. I'm not sure how Katana or Harley add to either of those points. At least any more than Deadshot or Flag or Croc. Especially with as little character as we get for Katana.

Harley is described as more fearless than the Joker and Katana wields a sword that captures souls. Sounds brave and powerful to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was very brave of Harley to get punched in the face by Batman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Something something superstitious and cowardly, something I am the night, something

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did you guys know the only reason this movie isn't doing well is because Feminazis are complaining about Harley Quinn being too sexy? I didn't know, thank you internet.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Did you guys know the only reason this movie isn't doing well is because Feminazis are complaining about Harley Quinn being too sexy? I didn't know, thank you internet.

I thought the big thing holding this movie back was the Disney funded spies at Rotten Tomatoes who were loading this film down with negative reviews.

Anyway I saw the film last night. It's no where near as bad as people are trying to make it out to be, but it's a film with some glaring problems.

Spoilers to follow.

Like this movie just seems like it's two films joined together. One a Harley and Joker crime film and one part a Suicide Squad movie. Only the Harley and Joker film was assembled from a couple of scenes that were shot from a project that was started and then abandoned. While the Suicide Squad was one that had a ton of ideas and plot threads dropped, moved around etc...

Like all the stuff with Enchantress in the first act. I can almost garuntee that was put in late in the day. It just feels like she was supposed to be hinted at early on, and then when Floyd get's the Dossier that Rick Flag would fill in all her back story and we discover that this entire operation was to cover up her role in it. Like that would make more sense rather than the audience learn about her from the start. Though in that version of the movie, she probably just ends up dead at the end of the movie.

Also one problem that has been pointed out is that a lot of time is spent building up the reason why the Government need to put together Task Force X. (Deniability, a new way to fight war, get use out of dangerous individuals...) But at the end of the day, the first mission these guys are used for, the crisis they are called on is one that Waller herself made. It just makes them look dangerous.
Like this film could have done with a short sequence of the team being sent in on some high risk "stop Russians from selling Nukes to IS" mission to showcase the team and what they are intended for.

As for the licensed music. The amount of it was off-putting, but also the way it was used was really sloppy.
Yes, showecase Belle Reeve Prison with House of the Rising Sun. Perfect. But don't do that then just linger on Deadshot's cell. Show the ENTIRE prison and how messed up the inmates are.
Absolutely use Without Me by Eminem. But don't use it for a Suiting up sequence. Put it to a sequence where the Joker and Harley are driving around Gotham committing crimes.
I think a little bit of planing could have helped.

Oh one last point, did anyone remember the scene where Flagg says to Waller that she should just let him make his own squad. That he'd get "Some Tier 1 operatives and make them into some real Pipe Hitters."
Now I'm not what you would call particularly sensitive to offensive language, but did they really have a US Marine type tell his Black, Female Commanding Office quote Marcel Wallace from Pulp Fiction?
Because that moment had me almost double take in the cinema.

Yeah there's a lot of strange choices in this movie. I will say that the cast is by and large really good and no one stuck out as being bad. Some people needed more time to work, but Robbie and Will Smith were much better than I thought they would be from the trailers.

I really did love the title cards they had for characters, particularly how Deadshot's mirrored the comic cover to Secret Six.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

I thought the big thing holding this movie back was the Disney funded spies at Rotten Tomatoes who were loading this film down with negative reviews.

It still perplexes me how invested some people are in this. I just don't get it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My favorite part about any fan conspiracies is that Warner Brothers owns Rotten Tomatoes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

TBF I've heard basically the same thing about Ghostbusters and MRAs so whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That one's probably true.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Realistically, how much of the general audience that goes to see comedy films in the summer cares (or knows) all that much about MRAs complaining about "feminazis"?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Realistically, how much of the general audience that goes to see comedy films in the summer cares (or knows) all that much about MRAs complaining about "feminazis"?

Reddit is one of the most trafficked sites on the internet and they have multiple front page stories where people are cheering the death of the Ghostbusters sequel to stop the further "raping of my childhood" and to "send a message" to Hollywood about pandering and being too PC.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In the grand scheme of things, those morons are the tiniest of a tiny fraction of people. They just happen to be loud.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

Harley is described as more fearless than the Joker and Katana wields a sword that captures souls. Sounds brave and powerful to me.

Two things we are told and never shown. Another reason Katana was done a disservice in this movie as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reddit is one of the most trafficked sites on the internet and they have multiple front page stories where people are cheering the death of the Ghostbusters sequel to stop the further "raping of my childhood" and to "send a message" to Hollywood about pandering and being too PC.
Not really? Even searching for it doesn't bring up that much. Maybe unsubscribe from /r/redpill?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sure, they're about, but I reckon a lot more people saw all the magazine covers and saw the TV appearances or heard the radio spots by the cast than went on the bad parts of Reddit to decide what movie they should go out to see.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Looks like Aquaman's big bad guy will be a black man

...ta.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/10/jason-momoas-aquaman-will-battle-black-manta

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Haha I always forget about this origin:

Black Manta has some different origins, but here’s hoping they go with the 1993 version, where he was shanghaied and sexually assaulted on a boat, causing him to hate the sea and everything associated with it - including Aquaman

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Haha I always forget about this origin:

Black Manta has some different origins, but here’s hoping they go with the 1993 version, where he was shanghaied and sexually assaulted on a boat, causing him to hate the sea and everything associated with it - including Aquaman

Sounds like the work of Azzarello's Amazons...universe tie-in!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

greatn posted:

I may have enjoyed Spy more because I watched it on a 12 hour flight, so it's going to be the best thing happening to me at the time in comparison to the rest of my environment.

Spy is a legitimately great comedy. The comedy is on point, and kinda rare for a comedy, so is the plotting/characterization/thematics. Jason Statham was great in it as well.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
For some reason the people who cut trailers always make anything Melissa McCarthy's in look like "Fat Lady Fall Down: The Movie" even when that's really, really not what she does.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's hilarious that Facebook is blowing up with all these clickbait articles about "OMG HUGE ACKMAN LOOK OLD NOW?" It has to be makeup for Old Man Logan, and even then, poo poo, dude's like 50. People get wrinkly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shageletic posted:

Spy is a legitimately great comedy. The comedy is on point, and kinda rare for a comedy, so is the plotting/characterization/thematics. Jason Statham was great in it as well.

I really liked Spy until you get to the end and they pull that triple turn out of their asses. It felt like such a cop out.

• Locked thread