Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Does leveling as an 80 not give Hero Points?
I seem to fill that bar extremely slowly so I dunno what the fug is going on.

it's dumping that xp into whatever mastery you currently have selected. click the bar to find out more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ohhhhhh okay. So I still need to find down all those HPs to max out my specialty.
Shouldn't be too... hard...

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Having to wait for a mob for 1-2 hours does put it out of reach for people like me, as much as the socksshitters like to gloat

Yup! We have a ton of Eu and oceanic players who I've never heard complain about lag either.

Also waci is hilarious

dude it's not even just you, the mobs spawn in very specific places and they don't stay alive for that long, so you are parked there twiddling your thumbs

im a sucker for particle effects, so I want it

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Inzombiac posted:

Ohhhhhh okay. So I still need to find down all those HPs to max out my specialty.

If you don't already know, the Hero Challenges in HoT zones give 10 Hero Points each, making the elite specialization a bit less daunting to fill out. There's also a Hero Point train run on Tuesdays.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

orcane posted:

At least Waci and Nilgoow are funny when they troll...

Trolls are supposed to make you upset, not make you laugh. Try spending less time playing the world's most coddling video game, it's warping your view.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Inzombiac posted:

Push M.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Schpyder runs HP trains on Tuesday nights if you're around. Got enough to go from fresh 80 to having Druid completely unlocked in like one and a half/two hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also if you compliment Magres profusely I'm sure he'd run another late night train, which was awesome.

vvvv READ MY POST!!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I work too late to ever get those trains. I'll work on it myself with a guide.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does anyone do Mastery Point trains? Thanks to Bloodstone Fen my ability to fill up XP bars has far surpassed my ability to gain Mastery Points to use that XP with.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I work too late to ever get those trains. I'll work on it myself with a guide.

Random people do HP trains fairly often, which you can find in the LFG window for whatever HoT zone they're doing. Some of them are pretty poo poo—if whoever is leading it is happy to waste everyone's time waiting for stragglers every ten steps, you should wait for another one to come around.

If you can't/won't do that for whatever reason, you probably want the Dulfy guides, as they tell you which ones you will be able to solo. Many of them are difficult or impossible without a group.

Harrow posted:

Does anyone do Mastery Point trains? Thanks to Bloodstone Fen my ability to fill up XP bars has far surpassed my ability to gain Mastery Points to use that XP with.

People probably do, but you don't need a group for them, and they don't need to be repeated on each character, so they are much less common. Dulfy has guides for them with descriptions/pictures/videos of where to get each.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wallet posted:

People probably do, but you don't need a group for them, and they don't need to be repeated on each character, so they are much less common. Dulfy has guides for them with descriptions/pictures/videos of where to get each.

I keep forgetting about Dulfy. I'll check that out, thanks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harrow posted:

I have the opposite problem. I have points to spare but my XP bar just crawls along.
I've dinked around in Bloodstone Fen but it doesn't offer more XP than normal, from what I've seen. Even doing the event killing the 8 golems didn't really get me anywhere.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I have the opposite problem. I have points to spare but my XP bar just crawls along.
I've dinked around in Bloodstone Fen but it doesn't offer more XP than normal, from what I've seen. Even doing the event killing the 8 golems didn't really get me anywhere.

Bloodstone Fen just makes it really easy to do basically non-stop events. Do the Jade Constructs, check if Hablion is up (the ghost guy), fly around and do "displaced creatures" events, then just use LFG to hop between maps if it's quiet for more than a minute or two. The big map meta-events aren't on any sort of consistent timer, so it's entirely possible to finish up the big Jade Constructs/Guardian event and immediately hop to another map to do it again. I think I got like 3 million XP in two and a half hours or so just doing that on Monday, and had a pretty good time, too.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So I was starting to do research on Guild Missions, and was just curious if that really awesome post linked in the OP is still current. I glanced at Dulfy's Guild Mission guides too but I figured that smaller post would give a better minor overview before I really dig in

I apologize if it's a silly question; I'm the type of player that likes to prepare/research a bunch before subjecting others to my "participation" so I just wanna make sure I'm reading the right stuff :shobon:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

eggrolled posted:

So I was starting to do research on Guild Missions, and was just curious if that really awesome post linked in the OP is still current. I glanced at Dulfy's Guild Mission guides too but I figured that smaller post would give a better minor overview before I really dig in

I apologize if it's a silly question; I'm the type of player that likes to prepare/research a bunch before subjecting others to my "participation" so I just wanna make sure I'm reading the right stuff :shobon:

the first and most important lesson/preparation:

DO NOT TOUCH THE THING

(that might not be true anymore, actually, but it still cracks me up)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eggrolled posted:

If you go along with one of the big guild runs of guild missions (Saturday or Sunday), it's usually pretty self-explanatory what to do, and if you screw up, people can cover for you. Like, I'm awful at jumping puzzles, so I'm always one of the people waiting for a Mesmer portal at the end of the jumping part of a puzzle mission. You'll pick up on what to do as you go and eventually be one of the people leading the pack.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

DO NOT TOUCH THE THING

Sometimes you can touch the thing. Other times you must never touch the thing.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Thanks for all the help with character creation; I went with a necromancer. I had a tons of birthday boxes when I logged into my account, so I guess I have a bunch of stuff now? I've got lvl 30 character bumps for days, 20 birthday boosters, and a bunch of consumable Luck and Karma items. I went from 0 mf and Karma to 28% and 20k respectively; I'm not sure what it's for, but those sure do seem like numbers!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MF helps to get better drops and Karma can be spent on...
I'm not sure what anymore unless you want to make a Legendary.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

DO NOT TOUCH THE THING

It's not actually true anymore, you have to touch the pole to enter your guild mission instance now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not actually true anymore, you have to touch the pole to enter your guild mission instance now.

Arus please don't trick dentists into climbing the greased pole to get into the guild mission instance

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That actually wasn't the pole touching joke I expected so tyvm for that

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Inzombiac posted:

MF helps to get better drops and Karma can be spent on...

Having been away for like multiple years, I've mostly been using it to unlock skins.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Haha thanks guys, I won't over think Guild Missions too much then. I'll definitely join in if I get lucky and get home when missions start

(I work 4 ten-hour shifts, 2 of which are Sat/Sun, :rip: kinda)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Considering you're involved, it's not like the other pole's even going to be unburied.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
is it wroth it to come back to gw2 just to play the living story? when i log in 2 weeks ago i was kicked from all my guilds for inactivaty.

did engi still decent? i want to smash stuff with a hammer again.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

if you're bored it's worth it, not like you have to shell out some cash for it right now. however if you really liked pretty princess, then the game is still lacking

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

For those hunting bloodstone beasts that haven't already gotten them, some advice.

1. Beasts spawn during set intervals of time. Go to a map with the beast you're looking for a couple minutes early and you're guaranteed to get it. The rotation is as follows (copied from Dulfy):

Moa/Devourer (1hr)–> Arctodus/Shark (1hr)–> Wyvern (30 min) –> Break (30 min)

If it's near the end of the hour, face downhill (so the beast isn't stuck in terrain) and use your detector. Go to the next thing in the cycle.

2. Beast spawns are not found in one place (with some minor exceptions) so stop bothering with the waypoints in the dulfy guide. Bloodstone beasts spawn in the place of regular mobs of that type when they are killed anywhere in the zone. I triggered both the wyvern and shark this way. The waypoints are decent for getting you to a location where lots of the proper kind of mob will spawn, but it isn't guaranteed that you'll get it by that waypoint.

3. Apparently tonight's update added this: Current Events: Levvi’s Device has been updated to indicate when a legendary bloodstone-crazed creature has recently been killed in the map. Note that you can spawn beasts several times on the same map. I think they're on a ten minute cooldown or something close to that.

4. The beasts are legendary status so they don't die super fast. In most cases you'll have about 5-6 minutes to reach the fight and tag the beast.

5. The stuff you get from the collections isn't incredible, but it's nice to have options. At least one person has done something pretty rad with it.

6. Don't bother hunting arctodus in Gendarran fields. The only place they exist there is the Battle Pit location in the NE part of the map, and the only players that can spawn and fight them are players that haven't done the heart yet. This is great for easily spawning them fast if you haven't done the heart, but not great if you have because you can't even get into the cage to participate in the fight if you don't have aoe that can reach it from outside. This is pretty silly, I agree.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

it is okay buddy i'll keep it a secret that the only pole you know about is the the world's narrowest fondue fountain

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
This looks cool and useful
http://gw2timer.com/?page=Map&section=Collectible&article=creatures

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

eggrolled posted:

Haha thanks guys, I won't over think Guild Missions too much then. I'll definitely join in if I get lucky and get home when missions start

(I work 4 ten-hour shifts, 2 of which are Sat/Sun, :rip: kinda)

I can basically never attend regular guild missions because I'm EU and have a child, but many are doable solo or as a duo/small party. Alot of Dentists get to start missions so just ask in guild chat and we'll help out.

You should be able to get all these each week:
- Easy bounty (Trilla and Poobaadoo aren't that challanging)
- Trek, Hard Trek best Trek :v:
- All Races/Rushes, buy some Mango Pies for more regen and stack Swiftness if possible.

This should net atleast 6 commendation each week, getting those sweet sweet Ascended Accessories

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is the game still super poorly optimized/heavily CPU bound? I can barely break 30fps in my native 1440p and a GTX 970 unless set the game to subsample. Rebooting fixed it, I'm dumb. On the fence as to buying the expansion, will probably muck around and see how I feel.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 11, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

buy it if you're 80 or want a revenant

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Dreggon posted:

buy it if you're 80 or want a revenant

I got an 80 Mesmer but I honestly can't remember if I liked the game or not, just like one day the expansion was announced and I went "huh oh yeah I kind of spent a chunk of time playing that" so we'll see

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Harrow posted:

If you go along with one of the big guild runs of guild missions (Saturday or Sunday), it's usually pretty self-explanatory what to do, and if you screw up, people can cover for you. Like, I'm awful at jumping puzzles, so I'm always one of the people waiting for a Mesmer portal at the end of the jumping part of a puzzle mission. You'll pick up on what to do as you go and eventually be one of the people leading the pack.

Is there any other time people usually do these? The Saturday/Sunday times we do guild missions are too late for me to be able to participate, but it would be nice to still get some commendations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Wallet posted:

Is there any other time people usually do these? The Saturday/Sunday times we do guild missions are too late for me to be able to participate, but it would be nice to still get some commendations.

you can start a couple of the easier ones by yourself (trek, race) and complete them for a few commendations

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dreggon posted:

you can start a couple of the easier ones by yourself (trek, race) and complete them for a few commendations

I don't think I have permissions to do that in either guild, unless I'm misunderstanding how starting guild missions works.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Just ask in gchat, if any officer is on and paying attention, they'll start it for you. None of the instanced ones are soloable, so the most they'd have to do is start an actual rush event if another guild hasn't got it going already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Inzombiac posted:

... Karma can be spent on...

Karma can buy you entire end-game sets of exotic armor at the temples in Orr. It's 252,000 karma for a full set of Aurora, Rubicon or Armageddon armor, and they have the second-best stat budget in the game. Only the ascended/legendary tier is higher.

• Locked thread