Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

1st AD posted:

GSP was terrified of losing to BJ the first time they fought (probably due to the damage he took), and probably still terrified in their rematch which is why he just kept shooting doubles when Greg Jackson was telling him to kickbox with him.

Yeah so instead of listening to Greg Jackson and getting hit he dominated bj to the point that bj got disqualified for crying too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EmmyOk posted:

Man Ferguson/Barboza was insanely sick I wish it had lasted longer

so much drama packed into about 8 minutes of insanely high level fighting. even robbie / rory took a round to rev up. barboza / fergusson threw that poo poo right out the window and got down to business. i genuinely love it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I.N.R.I posted:

Whats everyones top 5 fights

Robbie/Rory from last year
Mighty Mouse/Moraga
Hunt/Bigfoot
Cruz/Dillashaw
JJ/Gadelha from the night before ufc 200

Same as Emmy I'll probably have a think about this some more.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Erz posted:

If MMA was music, it would have to be rap. Not only is individualism at the forefront of the sport and the genre, but both encompass a unique aesthetic that blends gritty toughness with technical artistry; the word “art” is one-third of MMA, and if we are being honest, rap at its best is everything poetry wishes to be. It is only right then to anoint the greatest MMA fighters in each division by comparing them to the rap albums that best encapsulate their fighting styles, personalities and careers.

hahahaha wow

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Erz posted:

If MMA was music, it would have to be rap. Not only is individualism at the forefront of the sport and the genre, but both encompass a unique aesthetic that blends gritty toughness with technical artistry; the word “art” is one-third of MMA, and if we are being honest, rap at its best is everything poetry wishes to be. It is only right then to anoint the greatest MMA fighters in each division by comparing them to the rap albums that best encapsulate their fighting styles, personalities and careers.

krazy horse - anything by odb

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's hard to say what the best five fights are. Are they all pride era fights or are those all retroactively bad now. Is hunt / Bigfoot one of the top ones even though it didn't matter in a historic sense really. What about Diaz / Lawler, that was an extremely good fight but it was b league. I like Jones / Shogun a lot because it was such an rear end kicking and coronation for Jones, but it wasn't really a competitive fight. I guess if you really made me put my back to the wall and do a top 5 list it would look like this

Anderson Silva V Demian Maia five times

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
robert whittaker vs colton smith is good because everyone wanted that outcome

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

I.N.R.I posted:

lawler/macdonald 2
lawler/Hendricks 1
hunt/silva 1
dillashaw/Barao 1
bendo/Pettis 1

honorary mentions:
edgar/maynard the one where it was a draw I forget how many times they fought
shogun/machida 1
Kimbo/Houston
sonnen/silva 1 (exhilarating to watch live, but not that rewatchable)
BJ/Sanchez for being so one sided
Aldo/hominick

and I haven't seen either but Edgar/Aldo 1 and 2 because those guys are the best two fighters of all time and it's wild they were around at the same time and in the same division

edit: cowboy/bendo 1 is up there too. the wec ruled so hard.
edit: and both hendo/shogun fights

TheUltimateDoofus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 11, 2016

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

Work Friend Keven posted:

Anderson Silva V Demian Maia five times

also this

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

SquirrelGrip posted:

robert whittaker vs colton smith is good because everyone wanted that outcome

man i haven't even thought about this fight in a while and it was seriously one of the most cathartic beatings i've ever witnessed. boy did i hate colton smith.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Mine:

Anderson vs. Forrest (although a lot of the classic Anderson beatdowns could go here)
Hunt vs. Bigfoot 1
Lawler vs. MacDonald 2
Nick Diaz vs. Gomi
Shogun vs. Hendo 1

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

FrontRowBrian tweeted about a rumor he's heard involving Nick Diaz and Chael Sonnen fighting at 185 later this year. I usually wouldn't look too much into a FRB rumor, but he's Chael's boy.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Erz posted:

has anyone else seen this post???

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

has anyone else seen this post???

it's real good

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

man i haven't even thought about this fight in a while and it was seriously one of the most cathartic beatings i've ever witnessed. boy did i hate colton smith.

i was especially happy an aussie did it but yeah, i was pretty invested in that fight

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i like

silva vs forrest griffin
most of aldos fights since they usually look the same
silva vs ryo chonan
bj vs diego sanchez
Sage Northcutt vs, erm, i cant remember his name. but it was very. u know

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The rolling thunder one?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hendricks won!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Erz posted:

I'm gonna be super disappointed if you're trolling me

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

The rolling thunder one?

noooo. they wasted way too much time throwing punches + stuff at eachother in that one. i mean his most recent fight which was relatively free of superfluous things like "striking" and "foreplay"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cruz said recently he'd like to take a role as colour commentator even before he retires :getin:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

i like

silva vs forrest griffin
most of aldos fights since they usually look the same
silva vs ryo chonan
bj vs diego sanchez
Sage Northcutt vs, erm, i cant remember his name. but it was very. u know

sage northcutt and his christian values vs the fertitas christmas card photographer

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Off the top of my head:

TKZ/Poirier
Hunt/Bigfoot 1
Lawler/Rory
Hendo/Shogun 1
Silva/Sonnen 1

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hey bundt cake if you like carlos newton and carlos newton stories you've been reading the wrong part of this web site

manyaks posted a couple here before

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Ufc only
Robbie/rory
Shogun/machida 1
Gsp/Hendricks
Edgar/maynard 2
I dunno

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Machida vs Weidman
Aldo vs Mendes 2
Cruz vs Dillashaw
Frye vs Takayama
Lawler vs McDonald 2

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Thread talk has lead me to rewatch TUF 5 and I totally forgot BJ put Jens on the spot and said 'if you want to be on my team and want nothing to do with Jens then raise your hand'

Also Dana's shirt just lmao at everything

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i see a lot of posters have not seen roger huerta v clay guida

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I.N.R.I posted:

If I stick to each fighter only appearing once:

Wanderlei-Rampage 2
Nog-Barnett 1 or 2, can't decide
GSP-Penn 1
Diaz-Gomi (I mostly just want a Diaz fight here otherwise I'd pick one of Aldo's)
Machida-Shogun 1

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

It's good but not top 5 good.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

it's so loving good

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
another good one is when Lee Murray knocked out Tito Ortiz in front of a nightclub while chuck was building a pile of unconscious bodies

or hendo/randy restaurant wrestling

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

it's so loving good

2006 had Frank Edgar v Tyson Griffin, Tyson Griffin v Glay Guida, and Roger Huerta v Clay Guida. It was still the best year.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
more Gustaffson v Jones votes, too, pelase. wtf

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

That was a cool one and might have been the fight that swung me from just reading this thread to actually watching ufc

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Lindland vs Busta was good because you get to see the stinky man lose twice.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

manyak posted:

He was but he was also being a big pain in the rear end about drug testing and other problem with the UFC and there were rumors he would retire after the fight which he did. So they wouldve had some reason to bury him a bit. I dont think they were conspiring against him though

The UFC also literally stole the belt from GSP while he was taking a shower.

Dana was actively trying to make it harder for GSP to get Hendricks drug tested, Dana said "I think it makes them both look stupid. These guys are going to get tested by the athletic commission"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Lindland vs Busta was good because you get to see the stinky man lose twice.

Yeah busta is the best

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

2006 had Frank Edgar v Tyson Griffin, Tyson Griffin v Glay Guida, and Roger Huerta v Clay Guida. It was still the best year.

In 2006, I had a bunch of buddies over to watch Chuck fight Babalu for the second time and we were all talking about how Chuck was gonna murder him and then Babalu was like chasing him down and very briefly we all got very worried and then BAM Chuck uppercutted the poo poo out of him and we all laughed probably as hard as I've ever laughed in my lifetime and I'll never forget it

e: we are old as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

another good one is when Lee Murray knocked out Tito Ortiz in front of a nightclub while chuck was building a pile of unconscious bodies

i know this is a thing but havent heard the full story

• Locked thread