Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not saying it is intentional or anything. the vague similarity just amuses me because dorohedoro does an awful lot with those few locations while bleach is bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like that hell in bleach is mexico-themed

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Dorohedoro has a soundtrack now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWCAdN-SLY

perfect for any rereads you wanna get done before the ending

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I want Dorohedoro to be loving DONE already so I can just experience the whole thing in one solid session over a few days. I already re-read it to remind myself of everything that happened when a bunch of chapters came out, but I probably forgot most of it already.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Latest chapter esp. really spells the plot out for the readers. It's gonna be ending in about 10 chapters or something.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There is one thing I don't get. Does Ai's death not count toward the 9?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's been a while since spotted flowers updated, but finally the cliffhanger is over and it's really just wonderful. And hilarious. I love these two goofballs.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Spotted-Flower

If you've not read it yet, it's an otaku and his pregnant wife slice of life comedy. her water broke last chapter, so it's been on a cliffhanger for five months

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Even if you notice that's from Genshiken's author and don't want to read it because of that, read it anyway. The difference between Spotted Flower and Genshiken Part 2 is so stark it's almost unfunny.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never read genshiken and don't know anything about it so that's not an issue for me!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Super short version:

Genshiken is about a bunch of goofballs in a "modern visual culture" (anime, manga, and games) club in college, who are super nerdy and super socially awkward and it's Good and hilarious.

Genshiken Part 2 is about a second bunch of goofballs in the same club after the original group has graduated, but each and every one of them is a stereotype and their interactions are awful and there's a whole twenty-odd chapter arc which is a long, protracted fart of "who will this dude choose to date between these five girls (and a crossdressing dude) who fancy him" and it's Terrible and Bad.

On the other hand, the characters in Spotted Flower are more or less barely disguised alt-universe version of Genshiken and Genshiken Part 2 characters. Like you can easily tell the main character is Madarame, his wife is Saki, the trans mangaka is Hato, and so on. You can read Genshiken and "get" all these references, but for God's sake do not read Part 2.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I quite liked all three :kiddo:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Conversely Genshiken Part 1 is the only one of three I like. That original 9 volume run was super great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Groundless chappie comes with a handy dandy character chart.

http://bato.to/reader#d96362a2a22d469d

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Dungeon Meshi continues with a lesson in skeletal anatomy

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't know how to feel about that Dungeon Meshi chapter. Feels a bit too convenient that Laius and Marcille know so much about bones on top of Marcille knowing some secret forbidden resurrection magic.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lauis being a weird dude who knows way too much about bones is super in character

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm sure there is no way that there will be unintended consequences from using forbidden magic to revive Laius' sister from dragon meat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RatHat posted:

I don't know how to feel about that Dungeon Meshi chapter. Feels a bit too convenient that Laius and Marcille know so much about bones on top of Marcille knowing some secret forbidden resurrection magic.

It makes sense to me that Marcille actually was good at blood magic since she's supposed to be a prodigy of some sort and has never shown herself to be particularly outstanding at any of the magic she's done so far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

New Groundless chappie comes with a handy dandy character chart.

http://bato.to/reader#d96362a2a22d469d

I like these pseudo-late 19th/early 20th century military manga (like this and the one with the military adviser guy who trains some smaller country's military).

edit: Oh wait, they have assault rifles in this apparently so I guess it takes place later.

edit2: Is the sniper lady supposed to be Slavic or something?

edit3: Oh she's mixed. They don't explain how she's mixed though; I'm guessing Mainlander(pseudo-European) and Islander(pseudo-Asian), since her skin is very white and the Farks have dark skin.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 14, 2016

coathat
May 21, 2007

New manga from the National Quiz guy. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/the-planet-of-sutakola-r19611

It's good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Dude's style is so clammy and uncomfortable and fleshy and fantastical.

Can't wait to see where he goes with this one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Dude's style is so clammy and uncomfortable and fleshy and fantastical.

Can't wait to see where he goes with this one.

I really like the thick linework done by authors like this and the guy who did Soil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I really like the thick linework done by authors like this and the guy who did Soil.

you fucker. don't go reopening wounds by mentioning soil!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Good news. http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2016/08/planet-of-sutakola-v1.html

In other news, I'll be starting up translations for Kaneko Atsushi's Soil this September for those of you who've been dying for years to see how that mystery wraps up. Finally the frogs won't be the only one who can read the ending.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

coathat posted:

New manga from the National Quiz guy. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/the-planet-of-sutakola-r19611

It's good.

What the gently caress was that

i like it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

New chapter of My Brother's Husband.

Called it.

Also, this loving page:

It's a pretty effective visual metaphor.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Mikl posted:

New chapter of My Brother's Husband.

Called it.

Also, this loving page:

It's a pretty effective visual metaphor.

Just in time for "Gay Uncle Day"

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

And now I'm caught up with Dorohedoro. Just in time for what looks like the finale.

Holy hell, what a trip. Awesome action gore mystery comedy. I'm really digging how, throughout the sheer insanity, it's astoundingly well-planned with lots of hints and setup everywhere (with some minor retcons, like how Risu's curse looks to the people staring into Kaiman's jaws, or that the invisibility mage was always part of the En gang). There's something deeply satisfying about watching all the little moving parts fall into place. That loving head in formaldehyde!

Some observations:
- Poor Dokuga just cannot catch a break. Badass ninja dude, almost evenly matched with Shin... and gets constantly owned by bullshit magic. Poor dude. He's cool, I hope he makes it out of this.
- Natsuki :( Hardest-hitting death in the comic, so far. I mean, Dorohedoro made it clear from the very beginning that life and death are VERY cheap in this universe, so there's always a chance she makes it back - her little devil should still be around -, but her death was just devastating. Especially that fakeout with Ton. To reiterate: :(
- Devils are awesome, but I still don't want Nikaido to become one...
- En is beyond overpowered, holy poo poo. No idea how that guy could even be taken out without a surprise attack. Never get hit even once, then confront him in a hazmat suit, while still somehow staying agile...? I guess current Kaiman could do it, since his body has technically never been affected by En's magic. Not that I want anyone to do that, we waited long enough for En's glorious return
- Hole is totally gonna use a time bullet to snatch victory away from Team En, isn't he

I like Dorohedoro.

And now, I wait

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The crosseyes boss man is En's nemesis, as was made clear in the video he showed us

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
As shown by the current situation with the spores, being immune to magic isn't an issue for En as long as you breath. That's how he beat Kaiman the first time they met after all.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Shinjuku Swan has gotten a steady stream of translations, a good thing since its raws go to 345 and they can keep going for a while. It's about a sorta nice and useless guy that gets into the seedy side of shinjuku as a hostess scout. It's mostly about him trying to be a legit dude despite all the dirty stuff going on around him. Pretty good art too.

It's sorta similar to Ushijima-kun in that they deal with underground japanese stuff and were adapted into lovely dramas.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

As shown by the current situation with the spores, being immune to magic isn't an issue for En as long as you breath. That's how he beat Kaiman the first time they met after all.

Hence the hazmat suit. :v: Of course, given how utterly bullshit En's power is, I guess there's nothing that prevents him from turning clothes into mushrooms...

I am thinking far too much about this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New keyman chapter.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Keyman-The-Hand-of-Judgement

It's quite grotesque!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can't believe the fwiggin Billy Bat ends in 3 chapters.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Good title and opening page. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/the-private-report-on-my-lesbian-experience-with-loneliness-r19652

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can't believe the fwiggin Billy Bat ends in 3 chapters.

did it ever went anywhere? i might pick it up again after it's done. at the point I stopped it really felt like the lesser of urasawa's works. Not as bad as Happy though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I was gonna say now that it's finally ending maybe I'll give it another shot and try to get back in. It's the one Naoki Urasawa series that never stuck or grabbed my interest for some reason.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's Billy Bat about?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's Billy Bat about?

wait until it's over then maybe someone will be able to answer that question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I bounced off Billy Bat despite being a massive Urasawa fan. To be honest I still don't understand 20th c boys completely, and Billy Bat is a level above that.