Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

BonoMan posted:

Yeah and I love the ending. I think it's just re-enforcing the endless cycle of "harsh." There's never any resolution. Evil is always out there in the world and it's always coming for you. Enjoy!

He is always dancing and he says he will never die. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Get your Jill sandwiches ready, first teaser trailer for The Final is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_kDhqzIb8

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Get your Jill sandwiches ready, first teaser trailer for The Final is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_kDhqzIb8

More Wesker, hell yeah.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Teaser for Villeneuve's "Arrival" (formerly Story of Your Life)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwqSi_ToNPs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jeremy Renner is the most boring actor getting regular work these days

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BonoMan posted:

A Villenueve alien movie? I'm so loving down.

Also unsurprisingly there are some gorgeous shots in there.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Vegetable posted:

Vanilla is still the most popular flavor of ice cream.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GonSmithe posted:

The cinematographer is Bradford Young, who also shot Selma, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, and A Most Violent Year. It's going to be a gorgeous film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Vanilla is still the most popular flavor of ice cream.

Vanilla is King poo poo of gently caress Mountain.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vanilla is cool and good. Also, trailer is fab and I feel adequately teased.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

BonoMan posted:

To speak plainly here: that's my poo poo! Villenueve sci-fi? Yes, please.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The short story it's based on is probably my favorite short story and I encourage everyone to read it. And the rest of Ted Chiang's collection, since the rest is also drat good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GrandpaPants posted:

The short story it's based on is probably my favorite short story and I encourage everyone to read it. And the rest of Ted Chiang's collection, since the rest is also drat good.

Yeah I had never heard of it and bought it soon after watching the teaser. I love the idea of the anthology. "Subtle Sci-Fi" is my favorite.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
A warm up for Blade Runner II: Revenge of Deckard Who Is Totally Not A Replicant Because He's Old Now, Right Guys?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

A warm up for Blade Runner II: Revenge of Deckard Who Is Totally Not A Replicant Because He's Old Now, Right Guys?

Was it just the Nexus model that had the 4-year lifespan, or was it all replicants? I haven't seen Blade Runner in a while, so I can't remember.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Was it just the Nexus model that had the 4-year lifespan, or was it all replicants? I haven't seen Blade Runner in a while, so I can't remember.

IIRC, the terrible voiceover that should not be considered canon (painful derail starts here) noted that Rachel was Nexus-7 and didn't have a hard lifespan, so conceivably Deckard could have been a 7 as well.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

TheFallenEvincar posted:

well I mean he should've known better re: the whole patronizing racist poo poo but yeah I think he touched on indie movies:

yet another dude ruined by going sober

The worst party I've ever been too was a secret fundraiser for some guy's lovely independent zombie film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYV--w7zy0

Independent film makers are scum that make horrible poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

A Villenueve alien movie? I'm so loving down.

He's directing this? Definitely a must watch for me now.

American trailer for RE: The Final Chapter with jauntier music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfyyteecPCY

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vegetable posted:

This is true except for that one episode of Louie that he did a really fantastic job with. I think he can be good if utilized properly. A genius mathematician is probably not it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

GrandpaPants posted:

Yessss. I love "Story of Your Life", easily my favorite short story. Almost everything written by Ted Chiang is great (like The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling). I didn't have much hope when I found they were going to make a movie about it but that trailer looks great.

EDIT:
Someone from reddit went to a screening:

quote:

I did not read the story but I sat next to a woman who did and she explained to me that they are indeed very similar. Some of it is restructured for a better presentation of the bigger points of the film but overall it's a close adaptation.
She said, as a fan of the short story, that she loved it and it even expanded upon visualizations that she had trouble conceptualizing while reading the story. Villeneuve does capture the appropriate level of spectacle needed for what is happening on screen. It's never too much or too little.

:toot:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 9, 2016

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

The worst party I've ever been too was a secret fundraiser for some guy's lovely independent zombie film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYV--w7zy0

Independent film makers are scum that make horrible poo poo.

I saw one of this guy's movies on Netflix a few years ago (a below-fanfilm quality mashup of Iron Man and Thor), and I couldn't believe that something this bad could be distributed at all. Does he do it all himself, or has he somehow conned other people into actually releasing this poo poo?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Netflix put out the trailer for Luke Cage, looks pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytkjQvSk2VA

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I had never heard of it and bought it soon after watching the teaser. I love the idea of the anthology. "Subtle Sci-Fi" is my favorite.

Ted Chiang writes really, really good short stories. I recommend that anthology all the time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rough Lobster posted:

Ted Chiang writes really, really good short stories. I recommend that anthology all the time.

yeah his writing is incredible, Story of My Life is one of the most heartbreaking short stories i've read and i'm hopeful the movie won't suck

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dillbag posted:

IIRC, the terrible voiceover that should not be considered canon (painful derail starts here) noted that Rachel was Nexus-7 and didn't have a hard lifespan, so conceivably Deckard could have been a 7 as well.

Ignoring the voiceover, Bryant says that there was a problem with replicants over time developing sufficient emotional depth to pass the VK and so the limited lifespan was introduced. He's also saying it to Deckard, who as a highly experienced blade runner would have known about it had it been in place when he was working. So the lifespan cap is a recent development.

Also the VO doesn't say Rachel is Nexus-7, just that she has no lifespan cap. That she's not a Nexus-7 should be obvious from the main movie, where she was the test model for the implanted memories of the Nexus-6 series. As a model intended to test how replicants developed emotions over time it only makes sense that she wouldn't be capped; they'd need to know how long they could make the lifespan.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BonoMan posted:

So loving excited for this. Villanueve is one of my absolute favorite directors, Amy Adams is great, and Story of Your Life loving ruled.

Good vibes, man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dillbag posted:

I always liked the interpretation of the script writer, where the unicorn doesn't mean Deckard is a replicant, but that he's a human who's become part of "the machine". They know his thoughts and dreams.

And ultimately, whether or not Rachel has a limited lifespan, Gaff's words remain true.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Ignoring the voiceover, Bryant says that there was a problem with replicants over time developing sufficient emotional depth to pass the VK and so the limited lifespan was introduced. He's also saying it to Deckard, who as a highly experienced blade runner would have known about it had it been in place when he was working. So the lifespan cap is a recent development.

Also the VO doesn't say Rachel is Nexus-7, just that she has no lifespan cap. That she's not a Nexus-7 should be obvious from the main movie, where she was the test model for the implanted memories of the Nexus-6 series. As a model intended to test how replicants developed emotions over time it only makes sense that she wouldn't be capped; they'd need to know how long they could make the lifespan.

NEXUS 7 is a pretty decent assumption to make if you saw her being the next generation NEXUS (seeing as Roy and Friends are all NEXUS 6).

Personally, I saw her as either a POC or as a vanity project by Tyrell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of cerebral science fiction, has there been any word on when the adaptation of Annihilation is supposed to be coming out?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

Ted Chiang is probably the best living fantasy author (most of his stuff is fantastic even though he occasionally branches into the scifi side of things) but because he only writes short stories and spends about two to three years crafting each one to perfection, he's pretty much unknown outside of a small circle.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Ted Chiang is probably the best living fantasy author (most of his stuff is fantastic even though he occasionally branches into the scifi side of things) but because he only writes short stories and spends about two to three years crafting each one to perfection, he's pretty much unknown outside of a small circle.

And the one time he had a chance to shine (when he published his short story anthology) he got screwed by the publisher.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BonoMan posted:

This looks great!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of cerebral science fiction, has there been any word on when the adaptation of Annihilation is supposed to be coming out?

Filming in the UK, apparently. I didn't realise it was the same writers and director from Ex-Machina. My interest is piqued.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oscar Isaac is in it too. He's playing the husband, which is a small but meaty part.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Oscar Isaac is in it too. He's playing the husband, which is a small but meaty part.

Can't say things went well for Oscar Isaac the last time he played a husband in a small but meaty part

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Can't say things went well for Oscar Isaac the last time he played a husband in a small but meaty part

I've got a small but meaty part for Oscar Isaac.

...wait

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hat Thoughts posted:

How about A Most Violent Year? I heard that was supposed to be good. Don't spoil me tho

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

How about A Most Violent Year? I heard that was supposed to be good. Don't spoil me tho

Not a small role. It is a great movie though. Check it out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Truly daring for Villeneuve to attempt an obvious remake of the Charlie Sheen 90s science fiction masterpiece. I think he might just have what it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I usually try and see one Australian film each year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upd3SHNwsKs

:haw:

• Locked thread