Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

So far it looks like we have:
*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums

Oh yeah, I'm banning double healing potions.

I am also interested. Can you post in the Steam group thing too about it.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Getting tired of low fightiness Orcs running away from battles. With low fightiness you'd think the AI would want them to get their fightiness back or at least go out in a blaze of glory. But then I guess that is this game's biggest problem right now: the campaign AI is way too passive when one of your own armies is in range.

keep t1 units in your doomstacks or learn how maximize abuse ambush (you don't actually need to trigger the ambush to get use out of it). The AI will rightfully avoid fights where it will get rolled.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
Any suggestions for dealing with ranged cavalry as Vampire Counts?

Dire wolves and bats just get murdered without ever reaching their target.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Wookums posted:

keep t1 units in your doomstacks or learn how maximize abuse ambush (you don't actually need to trigger the ambush to get use out of it). The AI will rightfully avoid fights where it will get rolled.

It's kind of difficult to set an ambush in the badlands. Very few places have more than a 40% ambush success chance.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sign me up for the tournament!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Didn't you used to be able to give a settlement to another faction in previous versions or did I make that up?

I'm hating that I can't do that now, because I'm sitting on a settlement that I'd rather just give to the dwarves for now because they got the other 2 settlements in the province and I'd rather strengthen my allies while dealing with all this chaos, undead and orc crap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think you can only do that to factions that are the same base race as you?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Endorph posted:

I think you can only do that to factions that are the same base race as you?

Well if that's the case I can't figure it out. I'd like to give one to Parravon, for instance, but even though we're allied up to the gills I don't see any option to give them a holding. I get why it's not there, really, the Empire should be about absorbing/crushing the other humans but since I'm pretty bad at running the Empire in the first place (my 'doom' stack is nothing like the doom stacks I've built with other races I actually have to think when fighting on normal) I'd rather keep my allies buffed until I get rid of these loving bajillion Skaeling and Varg fuckers.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
My internet has been super lovely for the last month, so I'll pass on the tourney, but I am going to follow it, I'm curious to see if someone will be able to beat Yukitsu and be proclaimed the EverGoon Champion.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

fnordcircle posted:

Well if that's the case I can't figure it out. I'd like to give one to Parravon, for instance, but even though we're allied up to the gills I don't see any option to give them a holding. I get why it's not there, really, the Empire should be about absorbing/crushing the other humans but since I'm pretty bad at running the Empire in the first place (my 'doom' stack is nothing like the doom stacks I've built with other races I actually have to think when fighting on normal) I'd rather keep my allies buffed until I get rid of these loving bajillion Skaeling and Varg fuckers.

Pretty sure this option was removed a few games ago, because the AI was completely unable to handle having that option. They would trade valuable cities for worthless places in the middle of nowhere, or other such mistakes. It could work as a player-only deal, where players can give AI territory but AI cannot give away their poo poo, but it's currently just not in the game at all to my knowledge

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Kaza42 posted:

Pretty sure this option was removed a few games ago, because the AI was completely unable to handle having that option. They would trade valuable cities for worthless places in the middle of nowhere, or other such mistakes. It could work as a player-only deal, where players can give AI territory but AI cannot give away their poo poo, but it's currently just not in the game at all to my knowledge

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's kind of difficult to set an ambush in the badlands. Very few places have more than a 40% ambush success chance.

It doesn't matter. Putting your army in ambush stance makes it insivisible, if only for a few steps. This makes the AI move in just enough that when they find your army they might've advanced too much to retreat from you.

Remember that the AI always plans to bet just a few steps outside of your zone of control. Making the AI do those steps before they see you nullifies that strategy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kaza42 posted:

I wonder if it would actually be possible for the AI to deal with this in a sane manner now that we've had the Province system for a few games, as in, limiting the AI to only selling towns and cities to allies when they have a minority ownership of a shared province and only buying in provinces they already have a region at.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I suspect the issue that breaks things is that military allies count for victory, and the existence of the confederation system. So letting the player hand provinces over to buy diplomatic standing is potentially 'free' in a sense, both because of victory conditions, and because once you confederate you get those provinces back anyway. The only way to not have this break things is to have provinces be worthless in terms of diplomatic favour (and so making this feature a newbie trap) or have some rather cumbersome series of rules that disallow you from counting it for victory etc.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Or at the very least making it a player-only option. I mean it'd be really cool if the AI could handle it so that the races who normally get their poo poo pushed in by WoC/Varg/Skaeling spam have more of a fighting chance, but for now a mod that just gave that option to the player would be rad.

What's a good Karl Franz doom stack? Right now I've got:

Karly Karl
A Warrior Priest Dude
4 Great Swords
4 Demigryphs (2 with Halberds 2 regular types)
2 Reikland Cavalry or whatever they're called
5 Pistoliers
3 Helstorm Rocket Batteries

I mean it does fine enough on normal against most armies but it's just not the same as my Beastmen doomstack which I felt could really take on overwhelming odds.

I'm kind of not impressed with Pistoliers, which seem awesome when I'm fighting against them. I feel like my Ungor Raiders did a better job of skirmish shooting. Maybe trade the Pistoliers out for Outriders?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The Waaaagh are implemented as gifting the land they take to their parent faction, though don't know how I'd go about adding it as a diplomacy option for everybody.

The best way to give land to a military ally is to take it yourself, let it rebel and then set the rebels as their war target. They'll get around to it eventually, especially if you leave a doomstack or something in reinforcement range to help them.

edit: The lovely thing here is that AI aside this is the only way to "gift" land in co-op.

Decus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 11, 2016

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

fnordcircle posted:

Or at the very least making it a player-only option. I mean it'd be really cool if the AI could handle it so that the races who normally get their poo poo pushed in by WoC/Varg/Skaeling spam have more of a fighting chance, but for now a mod that just gave that option to the player would be rad.

Karly Karl
A Warrior Priest Dude
4 Great Swords
5 Pistoliers

I mean it does fine enough on normal against most armies but it's just not the same as my Beastmen doomstack which I felt could really take on overwhelming odds.

I'm kind of not impressed with Pistoliers, which seem awesome when I'm fighting against them. I feel like my Ungor Raiders did a better job of skirmish shooting. Maybe trade the Pistoliers out for Outriders?

I found Pistoliers are kinda poo poo, and I don't really love Outriders. I think some people have found they're like handgunners that can shoot over a line, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong. I'd swap in steam tanks and handgunners for the Pistoliers. I'd probably also swap in some halbardiers or more great swords instead of the Reiksguard. You're a little vulnerable to ranged cavalry, but handgunners clean up most ranged cavalry pretty well. You could also use a few cannon I suppose for giants or w/e.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

fnordcircle posted:

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

Always funny to watch legions of elephants stream out of Iceland because Denmark and the Marthas swapped provinces.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Bring a wizard. A wizard is a great force multipler. Light especially, beast is pretty good also.

Hellstorms are a bad idea in a late game army, you need armour piercing. Bring steam tanks or great cannons instead.

Four infantry units are not nearly enough. And your missile infantry are great! Be sure to bring some.

Pistoliers and hellstorms are best off being part of a dedicated anti-marauder army, with a few pistoliers almost exclusively for chasing down routing units. Throw in some honest steel swordsmen and some crossbows.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 11, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Angry Lobster posted:

My internet has been super lovely for the last month, so I'll pass on the tourney, but I am going to follow it, I'm curious to see if someone will be able to beat Yukitsu and be proclaimed the EverGoon Champion.

I'd hope so, I'm not really that great at these games.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2

I'm in! Last one was fun and very educational.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mukip posted:

*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2

Okay, Mukip, sign me in.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mukip posted:

*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2

Awesome, hopefully we can get eight people for a proper bracket.

Edit: Or 16 perhaps!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Gonna try out those tips, thanks all.

Decus posted:

The Waaaagh are implemented as gifting the land they take to their parent faction, though don't know how I'd go about adding it as a diplomacy option for everybody.

The best way to give land to a military ally is to take it yourself, let it rebel and then set the rebels as their war target. They'll get around to it eventually, especially if you leave a doomstack or something in reinforcement range to help them.

edit: The lovely thing here is that AI aside this is the only way to "gift" land in co-op.

Huh, never thought of that, I like that one, thanks!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mukip posted:

*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2

I'll try this again, it was a lot of fun last time

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How does dealing with chaos on VH typically pan out? I achieved the short victory for the Greenskins by sniping Archaeon and I've destroyed every wad of armies they've sent my way, but they always hold one back somewhere and they respawn the next turn back at #1 on the global power list. Do I have to find where he's hidden his other armies and wipe them all out in a single turn? I might just accept my short victory and go back to normal. Whack-a-mole is my least favorite part of the game and VH seems to exacerbate this.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

How does dealing with chaos on VH typically pan out? I achieved the short victory for the Greenskins by sniping Archaeon and I've destroyed every wad of armies they've sent my way, but they always hold one back somewhere and they respawn the next turn back at #1 on the global power list. Do I have to find where he's hidden his other armies and wipe them all out in a single turn? I might just accept my short victory and go back to normal. Whack-a-mole is my least favorite part of the game and VH seems to exacerbate this.

Chaos armies encamped will always be visible trough the fog of war for any territory you previously have revealed, also horde factions can be easily located where they are by going on the diplo map; where their icon is is what area their main horde is currently in.
So if there is only one stack left alive its very easy to find and eliminate.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Gifting provinces to the vatican in Medieval 2 was a nice way to create safe buffer space between yourself and enemies.
Has there ever been a kinda-neutral, pan-national authority in any of the Total War games since that?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

Gifting provinces to the vatican in Medieval 2 was a nice way to create safe buffer space between yourself and enemies.
Has there ever been a kinda-neutral, pan-national authority in any of the Total War games since that?

the Shogunate in Shogun 2? Other than that, all I can think of is the Bellisarius campaign for Attila

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So after playing this series regularly since Rome 1, I've finally beaten a campaign. I finished the Dwarven long campaign in about 130 turns. It was only on Normal for the campaign and Very Hard for battles, but god help me I really dislike the strategic map portion of these games. it took 140 turns, but I probably could have had it in 80 or so. After getting all but the farthest north settlements and a few stragglers, uniting the entire map against chaos, and having like two grudges left, Emperor gently caress Man goes ballistic and declares war on every vampire and human settlement and threw a fit when I wouldn't join him. Everybody then pulled away, and Archaeon, Sigvald, and Sarth start tearing down through the Dwarven Mountains, ripping up all of my armies and racking up seven grudges, each turn interrupted Karl Franz demanding I join his wars and getting pissier each time. I managed to pull up my armies from the wastes who were just about to finish off the Top Knotz all the way north while panick-building new armies to replace the ones that got steamrolled. I managed to corner them in Zhufbar, and with the help of save-scumming (they need to let you decline underway attacks you initiate), I was able to finish off all of the Chaos lords in framerate-destroying battles. The next 30 or so turns were me taking back all of the north mountain settlements to satisfy grudges and reach the north wastes without pissing anyone else off.

Next campaign is going to be vampires and I'm making a line straight for The Empire.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Plan Z posted:

(they need to let you decline underway attacks you initiate)

You're not initiating them though, they're attacking you as you use the underway.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

You're not initiating them though, they're attacking you as you use the underway.

I stand corrected. Kind of regret scumming, then. I was just trying to get my stacks around Sarth as I was pulling my hair out trying to chase him around the mountains and him being able to sprint away.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

Just limit it to minor settlements in provinces where they own the capital. Can't see a lot going wrong with this.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Man if the Greenskins and some dwarf assholes are going to both declare on me in the same turn then I'm done with the VC campaign, it was just grinding out settlements for the province requirement anyway. I could deal with it if I moved enough armies around or recruited some more in sylvania but eh, I've basically won and I'd rather play the actually interest part of the campaign again.

How the gently caress do you win battles with Gelt? Specifically how do you deal with opposing lords? Just throw the Greatswords at them? Enemy lords chew through swordsmen like they're not there and searing doom doesn't do a whole hell of a lot to help. I got through the opening battle using the greatswords on the lord but it wasn't pretty, and the following battles weren't pretty either, then I quit because it sucked a lot and outriders are very much not reiksguard.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Gelt sucks, but his units are better than Franz overall. Frans just gets Reiksguard and then a pair of mid-game units that aren't useful early on, whereas Gelt's units are all good for causing mass routs in tandem. The Greatswords and Mortar do lots of damage to light infantry and the Outriders can quickly ride around to the rear and shoot engaged enemies in the back. Once you've routed the rest of the army, the enemy lord will rout very easily if he takes some damage. So use Greatswords to finish the lord off in the latter stage of the battle but try to avoid him early on. I'd consider taking Gelt's units and then ditching him for a generic lord.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gitro posted:

How the gently caress do you win battles with Gelt? Specifically how do you deal with opposing lords? Just throw the Greatswords at them? Enemy lords chew through swordsmen like they're not there and searing doom doesn't do a whole hell of a lot to help. I got through the opening battle using the greatswords on the lord but it wasn't pretty, and the following battles weren't pretty either, then I quit because it sucked a lot and outriders are very much not reiksguard.

Handgunners are a good way to deal with Lords, anything with a lot of armor-piercing will typically do the job. Gelt's spells will always be a big force multiplier, it's easy to forget how good magic is in this game. Yes, if you're early in the campaign they'll be a bit weaker, but you'll never have a situation where you shouldn't be casting. Buffs especially are better than people think.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Re: trading provinces with the AI, I remember how in Empire: Total War you could reliably trade several worthless colonial possessions for the entirety of one-province France at the beginning of a game. AI France didn't seem to prioritise not trading away its homeland.

fnordcircle posted:

Karly Karl
A Warrior Priest Dude
4 Great Swords
5 Pistoliers

Others have given advice but I feel like weighing in too. Get rid of all those pistoliers! They're garbage and will do next to nothing against high-quality enemy armies in the late game. 2 units of pistoliers are too many; 5 is just 5 wasted slots in that army. You're too cavalry-heavy in general I feel, and you could stand to lose either the two Reiksguard or 2 of the demigryphs. Get halberdiers to supplement your greatswords - they make great flank guards against enemy cavalry and decent main line troops.

I don't agree with others that helstorms are wasted but 3 is definitely too many. Replace one with a great cannon and another with a helblaster volley gun, which work brilliantly now (they were useless on release but patches have improved them a lot). At least one steam tank is a given, too. And a wizard of some sort for sure, they're great. Even a witch hunter hero can do great work in combat. Use heroes more! And yeah, your missile infantry is very good although if you're using helblasters then handgunners aren't quite so crucial. I like having a couple units of crossbowmen even in late-game armies just to deal with otherwise-annoying ranged cavalry. So something like:

Karl Franz
2-3 heroes
2 greatswords, 4 halberdiers or 4 greatswords, 2 halberdiers
4 heavy cavalry (demigryphs/reiksguard)
3 various artillery pieces
1 handgunner
1-2 crossbowmen
1 steam tank

This army beats basically anything in the campaign in my experience.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Mukip posted:

Gelt sucks, but his units are better than Franz overall. Frans just gets Reiksguard and then a pair of mid-game units that aren't useful early on, whereas Gelt's units are all good for causing mass routs in tandem. The Greatswords and Mortar do lots of damage to light infantry and the Outriders can quickly ride around to the rear and shoot engaged enemies in the back. Once you've routed the rest of the army, the enemy lord will rout very easily if he takes some damage. So use Greatswords to finish the lord off in the latter stage of the battle but try to avoid him early on. I'd consider taking Gelt's units and then ditching him for a generic lord.

I was trying to, but that usually resulted in my centre or wherever the lord was collapsing as he just mulched all the units in his way. I couldn't rout the rest of the army fast enough to keep up even when I won. Like I'd have Greatswords flanking and it would take absolute ages before the unit they were engaged with would break. That might just be an issue with getting a wonky flank though, I don't know. Rear shots with the outriders were the same, it's effective eventually but not before a lord has collapsed a chunk of my line.

I only realised at the end that you can actually order your mortars to fire on clump of engaged units and it's not guaranteed they'll smash your own dudes in the back but that seems like a crapshoot, especially when I could target their ranged units to keep them off my outriders instead.

Am I wrong in thinking it's better to get honest steel to 3 before unlocking more metal spells? I find it hard to imagine thye're actually better than a 30% constant buff to your line infantry.

wiegieman posted:

Handgunners are a good way to deal with Lords, anything with a lot of armor-piercing will typically do the job. Gelt's spells will always be a big force multiplier, it's easy to forget how good magic is in this game. Yes, if you're early in the campaign they'll be a bit weaker, but you'll never have a situation where you shouldn't be casting. Buffs especially are better than people think.

Handgunners take a few turns to come around, and I can cast searing doom all battle and achieve virtually nothing. Sure I cast it, but at 5-10% of a unit's health maybe it's not exactly turning the tide.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 11, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
This rules

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Regiments_of_Renown

quote:

Let’s talk about new stuff. We announced way back in our future content blog that we have a bunch of different types of DLC coming up for Total War: WARHAMMER, offering different kinds of content at different prices, and we figured you’d be interested in some more specific info about what’s next on the agenda. So first off, we have our first Lords Pack in the pipeline (more on that Quite Soon™. Spoilers: it’s somewhat… Grim) accompanied of course with a new chunk of Free-LC.

The meat of the Lords Packs is kind of in the name, but one of the bonus extras you also get are a selection of Regiments of Renown. These are elite, mercenary variants of existing units; reverently-named squads, batteries and other troops who have distinguished themselves in past conflicts. The first Lords Pack will ship with 18 of them – nine for one of the core playable races, and nine for another.

This is just a short blog to explain a bit more about what they are, and hopefully to prompt modders to check out the new feature.

While these Regiments are by no means the main event of the forthcoming DLC, we thought they’d be really flavourful extras to supplement your armies and give character to your force compositions. The Warhammer Lore is dense with these famous (and infamous!) regiments and we’ll be paying attention to what you think and your suggestions and recommendations for future regiment releases.

In the Grand Campaign, these grizzled vets are recruited instantly into an army (rather like mercenaries in previous Total War games) from the new Regiments of Renown recruitment menu. That said, they won’t hire out to inexperienced commanders – the recruiting Lord needs to achieve a certain rank before Regiments become available for hire.

More info in the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
And now everything is going pretty smooth so :shrug:

Gelting all over the place.

• Locked thread