Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

what the gently caress kind of elaborate snack did you make you goony goon that it took that much time?

rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Lmao eg gonna win this one easily again like lol if you don't think wings are gonna crumble under their pressure.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:911:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
daily reminder that EU needs more ti slots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJktcP3HmQo

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I can't even begin to guess what the top 10 plays will be tomorrow. They'll have to throw a bone to alliance but they should just show eg vs ehome game 1 in its entirety again

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If EU is better than NA, why are there no EU teams left in TI6? :confused:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Unfunny Poster posted:

Liquid is still in it

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liquid wishes they were NA though.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

EU hasn't been for the last two years, and imagine I'm posting the backwards walking secret gif right now

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Liquid back in the Liquid/Dignitas/EG nightly NA merry go round is still the best Liquid.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is that game 1 on youtube yet

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

drunken officeparty posted:

Is that game 1 on youtube yet

Youtube has a policy against videos of Americans viciously stomping Chinese people.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I was at the arena losing my loving mind but I just wanted to emptyquote all these posts

Craptacular! posted:

Hopefully this Rosh is finally the one that ends EG

Burginator posted:

go home EG, go home

go home EG, go home

emdash posted:

EG will prob lose game 2 quickly on tilt, then do their usual lower bracket magic

Tangents posted:

jesus christ

I want eg to lose but

jesus christ

The REAL Goobusters posted:

leave china to me

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nanomashoes posted:

I was at the arena losing my loving mind but I just wanted to emptyquote all these posts

Like rationally I want to be that guy that says "I tip my cap to EG for some incredibly well played Dota" but I hate Sumail far too much and want no repeat champions yet.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

Like rationally I want to be that guy that says "I tip my cap to EG for some incredibly well played Dota" but I hate Sumail far too much and want no repeat champions yet.

go home

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Zurreco posted:

Youtube has a policy against videos of Americans viciously stomping Chinese people.

noted pro dota thread starter Zurreco comin in hot with the zingers over here

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/Peterpandam/status/763602994352889860

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Thanks, thread, for the recommendations + pointing me in the right direction on what to read up on! :dota101:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TI6 is better than TI5

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

TI6 is better than TI5

TI3 is better than all of them though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wrong

vykromond
Nov 12, 2008

you're so completely wrong

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

No sorry you are both wrong about me being wrong. TI3 grand finals are the best dota series to ever have been played.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

No sorry you are both wrong about me being wrong. TI3 grand finals are the best dota series to ever have been played.

this blasphemy on the day of such a good game, away with you

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

TI3 was mixed, Alliance was boring as poo poo for most of the tourney and the meta was stale but you had cool poo poo like Orange knocking out DK and fountain hooks

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe it is because I am not playing much these days but this is the first TI I can remember not being sick of the meta and the same heroes appearing in every game by this point. Mirana is the only one that really sticks out and she is such a fun a hero that I don't really mind that much.

e: Ok I just checked and Mirana isn't even top 10 in terms of pick/ban thats weird.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 11, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There has yet to be a storyline even close to as good as Navi vs. Alliance that whole year, which culminated in the best 5 games of Dota ever played

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Goetta posted:

Maybe it is because I am not playing much these days but this is the first TI I can remember not being sick of the meta and the same heroes appearing in every game by this point. Mirana is the only one that really sticks out and she is such a fun a hero that I don't really mind that much.

I mean, that's usually a byproduct of a) the best teams together and trying their damndest to squeeze out the strongest heroes at the most high-pressure tournament of the year and b) teams getting eliminated which means their 'comfort' picks are no longer going to be picked if it's out of the meta.

And anyway there're certainly a bunch of heroes increasing in prominence as TI goes on. Most notably Mirana, Shadow Demon and Ogre Magi.

quote:

There has yet to be a storyline even close to as good as Navi vs. Alliance that whole year, which culminated in the best 5 games of Dota ever played

Secret going down in flames is totally a good storyline.

Edit: Also, stop letting nostalgia blind you. Most of the games weren't anything special. Only game 5 was crazy.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 11, 2016

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Aside from game 5, TI3 grand finals were pretty mediocre. Games 1-2 were boring one-sided stomps, game 3 was alright, and game 4 was only interesting because it was an elimination match (it ended up being another stomp). Also if anyone's forgotten, Io was super OP that patch and it had a 100% pickrate and winrate in the GF.

The only notable non-GF things in TI3 that I can think of is the kyxy aegis deny and Na'vi fountain hook game (edit: and I can't remember anything about it other than the fact that it happened and Na'vi won)

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 11, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I mean, there was Orange's rampage through the lower bracket after being knocked down Day 1, and DK being the only one to take a game off Alliance until the GF.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.

IncendiaC posted:

Aside from game 5, TI3 grand finals were pretty mediocre. Games 1-2 were boring one-sided stomps, game 3 was alright, and game 4 was only interesting because it was an elimination match (it ended up being another stomp). Also if anyone's forgotten, Io was super OP that patch and it had a 100% pickrate and winrate in the GF.

The only notable non-GF things in TI3 that I can think of is the kyxy aegis deny and Na'vi fountain hook game.

Liquid eliminating LGD and Orange eliminating DK were both pretty memorable. It also had that awful 2 hour chinese farming game which was definitely "memorable"

Overall TI5 was better than TI3

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think you mean four total snoozefests with awful drafts and super questionable play which included one Na'vi player tilting so hard he called gg before Puppey wanted to call the game. If that final game was any of the other four games in the series, it would be one of the lowest rated grand finals.

Also, the reason we won't ever get a storyline as good as TI3 is because before TI4 the meta was so clearly defined and the tiers between teams were so black-and-white that you could afford to decide to make the entirety of TI about one team (Navi) and get away with it. At TI4 you could basically see them grasping at straws when neither DK, EG, or C9 made it to the grand finals, trying to keep people who didn't follow Chinese Dota interested, and the best they could come up with was telling people that Burning wanted RotK to win. Now, they have to divide limited screentime among so many teams that you're not going to get super invested in a team you weren't already following.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Had to miss EG versus EHOME, can someone sum it up for me?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It was okay. Bit of a back-and-forth.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI9FlqRAsV7/

lmao

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

:lol:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Game 2 MVP v Wings was pretty incredible as well

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Typical eastern clinical approach

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/EvilGeniuses/status/763586697154203649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Now, they have to divide limited screentime among so many teams that you're not going to get super invested in a team you weren't already following.

TNC makes this an incorrect opinion

• Locked thread