Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I am the rear end in a top hat who exclusively uses Apple earpods because those are the only things that fit in my ears and because the mic is good enough for conference calls. But I only buy the Apple earpods that get sold cheap because they didn't pass QA, so I'm also the rear end in a top hat on the conference calls with an annoying pops and hiss.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is so specific it has to have really happened.

Yeah, and how many Frosty's were you able to buy for those headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is so specific it has to have really happened.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, and how many Frosty's were you able to buy for those headphones?

It did happen, and I blame myself more than I do the person who actually broke 'em. I'd had numerous crash-course lessons in "don't bring your good gear to work" before that, and still thought for sure that nobody would touch my "good" headphones.

I bought no Frostys with the gift card, and instead offered it to my neighbor's son (with his parents' permission) in exchange for taking care of my fish while I was on vacation.

That little fucker must've been the Frosty King while I was away, and the pain of seeing those broken headphones lessens every time I think of him erupting from the back seat of the family sedan at the drive-thru, poking his parents with the card, offering to buy his sister and him delicious treats :sun:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

republicant posted:

It only narrows things down to about 50 different houses within a half mile from my house and doesn't reveal my name, so I'm not too worried about it.

I count eight houses, and that’s just the limitation the first free online tool I found.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Sorry to continue the headphone derail, but does anyone know of any good earbuds that are this shape?

I had these Bose ones, and I loved them, but one ear crapped out on me. They were pretty drat expensive to barely last over a year, so I don't want to buy another pair of the same. I can't stand most earbuds but I found this type super comfortable. I already have some good over-ear headphones but I like to have earbuds for when I'm walking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bunnyofdoom posted:

But I thought people were all about that bass bout that bass bout that bass no treble?

I have it on good authority that everyone's addicted to bass.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Gumy is absurdly good for something you can dig out of a bin at a discount store.

Sony's "under ten bucks" price point earbuds are good for the value, too, if you need something non-noise-cancelling.

Sure, that poo poo is about as durable as an ice sculpture, but if you work in a studio where other people are always borrowing your stuff, being able to toss a pair of $6.99 earbuds is way better than starting your shift staring at a broken pair of $250 studio headphones with a Wendy's gift card and an "I'm sorry" note taped to them.

The KOSS UR20 are also exceptional for their price. IDK, I've always known how to do electrical work so I used to just buy old school headphones from the 70's and rewire them when I was a broke teen. The real trick is to just get your headphones at TJ Maxx. I absolutely wreck earbuds on a constant basis so when I need replacement ones I just go to TJ Maxx and in between all the skullcandy and sharper image garbage they usually have a pair or two of decent mid range earbuds that have been marked down to like 11 dollars.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got my first mysterious bobcat in a box item!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like Bobcat service consistently sends out less than $.50 worth of random garbage, plus shipping. If the process is automated, someone is making a killing out there

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

That looks an awful lot like something printed by a laser printer with SUPER TONER SAVER set to "so fuckin' on it hurts."

Please continue posting your sweet loot hauls, Bobcat poo poo In A Box fans :toot:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Nitrox posted:

Looks like Bobcat service consistently sends out less than $.50 worth of random garbage, plus shipping. If the process is automated, someone is making a killing out there

It seems much less fun than it sounds!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

haha. :)

It is a joke though, right? :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OctoberBlues posted:

haha. :)

It is a joke though, right? :ohdear:

I dunno, I think it's kinda neat :shrug:

Then again I like technical things

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Iron Crowned posted:

Do you own a printer?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not even a minute on Google.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Where the gently caress is my lovely picture of a train? I want to throw it in the trash next to that flower-poem postcard. :mad:

Maybe I pissed off the filters by putting in too many "don't send me this" phrases and not enough "I want this" phrases. :shrug:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

Not even a minute on Google.

I gotta give Bobcat in a Box credit, they found a way to be even cheaper and lazier than just sending boxes full of plastic vampire teeth and used DVDs sitting around their apartment.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

New idea; for one dollar a month less than bobcat in a box, I'll google a series of boring images and email them to you and you can print them out yourself.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
call it jaypeg inbox

"curated 'artifacts'"

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Iron Crowned posted:

.... holy poo poo I got this a few days ago. Like, exact same postcard as my first package

How many people added postcard to the buy list after watching the video on the site?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Countdown until the market corrects itself and people start posting random literal trash just under the BCiaB threshold with a bunch of optimizing keywords.

RARE GENUINE EMPTY 20OZ DR PEPPER BOTTLE L@@K - $1.99 with free shipping

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
You can't cancel the automatic monthly billing without emailing the guy who runs the site, and it has tried to bill my card four times over the last four days. If I hadn't signed up with a prepaid card that just declines each transaction then I would be really irate. I didn't want to email to cancel because then it becomes even more unlikely that I'll get anything besides the postcard (I at least want my money's worth of random junk, dammit).

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Monthly mystery boxes are a honeypot for goons. Whoever runs this is laughing their way to the bank. When will you learn?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd make a monthly mystery box that sends you an actual murder mystery to solve every month.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd make a monthly mystery box that sends you an actual murder mystery to solve every month.

:aaa:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wasn't the goonmart scambox thread posted right before the Bobcat stuff?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Door Frame posted:

Wasn't the goonmart scambox thread posted right before the Bobcat stuff?

From the makers of JustWorld Box comes GamblerFallacy Box: So many mystery boxes are complete ripoffs that surely the next one will have to be something good, right?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Iron Crowned posted:

Iron Crowned posted:

Cancel this stupid thing you dumb gently caress box.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Cancel this stupid thing you dumb gently caress box.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

darkhand posted:

call it jaypeg inbox

Do I look like I know what a jay-peg is?

SiKboy posted:

New idea; for one dollar a month less than bobcat in a box, I'll google a series of boring images and email them to you and you can print them out yourself.

I just want a picture of a god-dang hot dog!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
A few pages ago goons attacked me because I said this was a tax on their idiocy. They were promised poo poo, they will receive poo poo.
Now said goons are mad they received poo poo.

It's beautiful.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Everyone defending the bobcat box was hilarious. People compared it to the lottery, but someone actually wins and at least you get to think about what you might do with money. This just offers you the fantasy of looking around at a flea market or browsing ebay.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Non Serviam posted:

A few pages ago goons attacked me because I said this was a tax on their idiocy. They were promised poo poo, they will receive poo poo.
Now said goons are mad they received poo poo.

It's beautiful.

No, they were rightfully making fun of you because you were calling the lottery an "idiot tax" which is some clasist dunning-kruger bullshit. The fact that you were so sore about it that you crawled back three weeks later just to launch a parting shot is hilarious, thanks for living up to everything your custom title promised about you as a person :thumbsup:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, it's not actual but I saw an ad on facebook recently for a mystery box that actually sends you the clues to figure out a new murder mystery each month. At least...I assume it's not actual

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Guy Mann posted:

No, they were rightfully making fun of you because you were calling the lottery an "idiot tax" which is some clasist dunning-kruger bullshit. The fact that you were so sore about it that you crawled back three weeks later just to launch a parting shot is hilarious, thanks for living up to everything your custom title promised about you as a person :thumbsup:
Haha what are you even doing

Choco1980 posted:

Well, it's not actual but I saw an ad on facebook recently for a mystery box that actually sends you the clues to figure out a new murder mystery each month. At least...I assume it's not actual
"but what if we don't have any more murders to solve?

"..."

"wait please don't answer that question actually"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guy Mann posted:

Realtalk holier-than-thou nerds who badmouth the lottery are the worst.

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Guy Mann posted:

clasist dunning-kruger bullshit.

I mean I can sort of see the classist thing, but where the gently caress are you getting Dunning-Kruger?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cheerfullydrab posted:

Realtalk holier-than-thou nerds who badmouth the lottery are the worst.

But the lottery is bad :confused:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Guy Mann posted:

:confused:
I don't understand what your rant is trying to say, other than that you don't like him very much. The math is very clear in this regard, no game of chance is ever in the player's favor. Statistically speaking, it is never smart to spend money on anything that is literally an RNG.
I wouldn't say idiot tax, because I understand how these games are designed to make people give up their money for nothing besides the excitement of possibly winning, maybe, someday. I also resent the people who run the lottery, despite its predatory nature and dubious benefits. However, the reductive term "idiot tax" is somewhat applicable to playing RNG games, since it is a poor decision to ever play in the first place.
Claiming intelligence as the deciding factor in all purchases is certainly disingenuous when looking at what are clearly the victims of a Skinner Box. Calling it a tax is also disingenuous, since it is an exploitative system built to milk people for every penny that they can spare.

Using reductive terms to describe complex socioeconomic problems that become compounded by addictive behavior just makes someone sound like an rear end, it's not proof positive that they are so stupid that they couldn't grasp the concept of being wrong

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I still don't quite understand how this thread evolved from making fun of bad marketing to suckers paying for badly printed jpegs of trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

hackbunny posted:

But the lottery is bad :confused:

It's a cheap thrill for people who don't have the money to pay for more expensive pursuits. If you're rich you can buy a horse, and teach it to dance, and enter it into horse dancing competitions. If you're poor, you can spend a dollar or two and talk to your work friends about what you'd do if you won big while on your smoke break. People are smart enough to know they won't win, but it's an inexpensive fantasy, and a hope, no matter how dim, of a supposedly better life. It's not an "idiot tax" and statements like that are classist as gently caress.