Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
bizarro fiction is great if you're an adolescent male who thinks titles like The Baby Jesus Butt Plug are at all interesting or edgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Fiction is great if you're an adolescent male who thinks stories about people who don't exist are at all interesting or edgy.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

You sure got him there

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I crave sci and fantasy that's straight up weird. Or maybe not weird per say, but definitely different. Like Planescape Torment different. I want chrono vessels powered by that look like pirate ships which travel diagonal through time and are powered by exploding stars, dig? Moorecock-like, maybe.

Preferably audio book, but not necessarily.

Quantum Thief
Orthogonal by Greg Egan

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Weird sci fi guy should read Cyclonopedia, which is a cool book for cool teens

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Some fiction is about people who did exist.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Some fiction is about people who did exist.

some "non-fiction" is about people who did not exist.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

Weird sci fi guy should read Cyclonopedia, which is a cool book for cool teens
Irony aside this is actually a pretty good recommendation; if you can stomach pages and pages of academic nonsense, there are some wonderfully weird ideas in there.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm looking for a book on ornithology for a layperson. My ~girlfriend~ is trying to get into it but doesn't have a good starting point text-wise. Is there anything straightforward and not dry that I can get her, that she will be able to read casually, and make her want to kiss me?

It needs to not be on birdwatching, she's lookin for more on the biology and mechanics of flight and especially behavior.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I'm looking for a book on ornithology for a layperson. My ~girlfriend~ is trying to get into it but doesn't have a good starting point text-wise. Is there anything straightforward and not dry that I can get her, that she will be able to read casually, and make her want to kiss me?

It needs to not be on birdwatching, she's lookin for more on the biology and mechanics of flight and especially behavior.

I want to say one of the Sibley Guide to Birds - aha, found it on amazon: The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior!

It's big and dense with information, but it's an excellent guide and I felt it was decently approachable for a layperson. I mean, I enjoyed it and I'm no expert on birds.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Irony aside this is actually a pretty good recommendation; if you can stomach pages and pages of academic nonsense, there are some wonderfully weird ideas in there.

Everything I post in this forum is free of irony.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anybody have a recommendation for a book about Chinese history? Preferably looking for something more narrative than textbooky (though still non-fiction, not historical fiction--my favorite history author is Tom Holland to give a point of comparison). Ideally it would also be focused on a specific period of history rather than trying to cover 4 millenia in a single volume, but I don't even know enough about the subject to identify a period that especially interests me.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation for a book about Chinese history? Preferably looking for something more narrative than textbooky (though still non-fiction, not historical fiction--my favorite history author is Tom Holland to give a point of comparison). Ideally it would also be focused on a specific period of history rather than trying to cover 4 millenia in a single volume, but I don't even know enough about the subject to identify a period that especially interests me.

try The Water Margin (Outlaws of the Marsh) or Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Both are historical novels and considered two of the best works of chinese literature. The translations of each vary wildly.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

try The Water Margin (Outlaws of the Marsh) or Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Both are historical novels and considered two of the best works of chinese literature. The translations of each vary wildly.

The dude just asked for non fiction and you give him fiction

cheetah7071 posted:

The ultimate is probably the 15 volume cambridge history of china but that's not ideal if you just want an idea of what happened broadly, a guy who contributed to that wrote some of that also wrote a relatively short book called China: A New History which is supposed to be pretty good.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 17, 2016

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

A human heart posted:

The dude just asked for non fiction and you give him fiction

oops, I am guilty of skimming and thought he wanted historical fiction.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

A Concise History of China by J.A.G. Roberts.

It's not the Cambridge set but it hits the important stuff.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

cheetah7071 posted:

How narrative-y are you willing to go? Wild Swans is excellent and covers some of the more modern upheavals in the 20th century. If anything it's good for a dip into the context.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What would a big Tolkien fan like that's nothing at all like Tolkien? You know, if you wanted to broaden their horizons.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

WickedHate posted:

What would a big Tolkien fan like that's nothing at all like Tolkien? You know, if you wanted to broaden their horizons.

Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

WickedHate posted:

The Nibelungenlied

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

funkybottoms posted:

Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun

Huh, that's what I got recommended last time I came to this thread too. Good call. Looks like I know what I'm getting this person for Christmas.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What about Tolkien do they like in particular?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

anilEhilated posted:

What about Tolkien do they like in particular?

Their an author and Tolkien is their main inspiration. The project their doing is a little...typically epic fantasy. A lot like this, actually. Not that they aren't a talented writer, I just wanna introduce them to stuff that shake up their ideas and style a little.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Get them a fedora and a pipe, they'll love it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

Their an author and Tolkien is their main inspiration. The project their doing is a little...typically epic fantasy. A lot like this, actually. Not that they aren't a talented writer, I just wanna introduce them to stuff that shake up their ideas and style a little.

Please force them to read Norse sagas and epic poetry. Tolkien is a great writer but terrible as inspiration. Here you can find Icelandic Sagas for totally free.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If it's the subversion of the high fantasy genre you're after, I recommend Discworld. Guards Guards is a good place to start imho, but there's a lot of answers to that question

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Please force them to read Norse sagas and epic poetry. Tolkien is a great writer but terrible as inspiration. Here you can find Icelandic Sagas for totally free.

Hey, thanks, this'll help a lot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

If we want slavish Tolkien imitation, we've already got Dennis McKiernan, thanks.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

'recommend my friend something thats different from tolkien' *several million recommendations for slightly different fantasy books appear from the aether*

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

WickedHate posted:

You should get them to read something like a Calvino book or Dictionary of the Khazars, a book that just has a lot of cool imaginative things in it but also isn't written for adult 12 year olds.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i wasn't kidding about the nibelungenlied

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A human heart posted:

'recommend my friend something thats different from tolkien' *several million recommendations for slightly different fantasy books appear from the aether*

To be fair, I also said "that a Tolkien fan would like".

A human heart posted:

You should get them to read something like a Calvino book or Dictionary of the Khazars, a book that just has a lot of cool imaginative things in it but also isn't written for adult 12 year olds.

Okay~!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Seconding the rec for the Dictionary of the Khazars. Honestly one of my favorite strange books. It feels like nothing else, I think, and I like to pull it out and reread it every few years.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

A human heart posted:

I'm actually half tempted to suggest you give him McKiernan or The Sword of Shannara or Urshurak so he can see how bad cheap Tolkien knockoffs without Professor T's talents look. Or hell, point him at Michael Moorcock's "Epic Pooh" essay.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The Big Sleep

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Selachian posted:

I'm actually half tempted to suggest you give him McKiernan or The Sword of Shannara or Urshurak so he can see how bad cheap Tolkien knockoffs without Professor T's talents look. Or hell, point him at Michael Moorcock's "Epic Pooh" essay.

The Epic poo poo essay is half-right; it's correct about how derivative fantasy can get in Tolkein's wake, but it is so hilariously wrong about the themes and messages of The Lord of the Rings that I'm half-convinced Moorcock never read the drat thing.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
So I'm staring at my Audible credit hoping it will speak to me. Maybe someone here can guide me.

I recently tried doing The Dark Tower...made it to The Waste Lands before it just dragged too much.

I'm looking for some weird nexus of cyberpunk horror. I recently did 3 of William Hertling's Singularity Series, and thought the first two were ok. Stephenson's Seveneves was one of my favorite recent reads. David Wong's Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits is on my deck, but I'm still looking for something I can't place.

Any ideas?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it qualifies as cyberpunk but if you want sci-fi horror, you could do worse than Blindsight.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WickedHate posted:

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. They'll either hate it or rip up all their stuff and start again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I'm staring at my Audible credit hoping it will speak to me. Maybe someone here can guide me.

I recently tried doing The Dark Tower...made it to The Waste Lands before it just dragged too much.

I'm looking for some weird nexus of cyberpunk horror. I recently did 3 of William Hertling's Singularity Series, and thought the first two were ok. Stephenson's Seveneves was one of my favorite recent reads. David Wong's Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits is on my deck, but I'm still looking for something I can't place.

Any ideas?

Maybe some PKD? It's not cyberpunk per se but stuff like VALIS or Ubik or A Scanner Darkly can bring the weird and unsettling.