Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nolq5EPpOcA

little thing in mgs3: sigint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I honestly though Phantom Pain was a pretty unfun game overall. It got too bogged down in it's ridiculously grindy base building mechanic, and while having to manually mark guards was an interesting idea, the distance you really needed to be at to be effective made it hard for me to pick the soldiers out, so a lot would get missed and surprise me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

I honestly though Phantom Pain was a pretty unfun game overall. It got too bogged down in it's ridiculously grindy base building mechanic, and while having to manually mark guards was an interesting idea, the distance you really needed to be at to be effective made it hard for me to pick the soldiers out, so a lot would get missed and surprise me.

Your dog was really good for automatically detecting guards. The FOB was pretty poo poo though :shrug: it was largely optional though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nuebot posted:

My favorite bits are still the conversations about movies and snake's fear of vampires.

My favorite bit is that Snake still thinks Santa Clause is real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x6mVUDB6Fw

not from 3, but still good

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Babe Magnet posted:

My favorite bit is that Snake still thinks Santa Clause is real

Sadly the 1994 movie starring Tim Allen did actually happen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bastard Bond's character creator is good as hell, working with pieces of clothing sets and layers in order to make a unique outfit, but another cool thing you can do is create a custom sprite for your dude and put it in a certain folder with the name of the guy you want it to replace and it'll take effect immediately in-game. The game also helpfully saves out the sprite of every character you have in your party (including custom sprites) so if you wanted to make minor edits like change the color of a dude's armor or give them a hat you can just rip out their sprite, make your edits, name the file appropriately and throw it in the PCCustom folder.

You can also download other people's characters and toss them into your roster folder and they'll show up in your game. I don't know if their stats carry over though. Some games (like Spore) will save a bunch of info in the image file, not sure if BB does that but it's cool anyway

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nuebot posted:

Your dog was really good for automatically detecting guards. The FOB was pretty poo poo though :shrug: it was largely optional though.

Never got past the parts with Diamond Dog still being a puppy so never saw that mechanic.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CJacobs posted:

Even at the very very beginning when Hayden's like "weeee can workkk togetherrrrr" and Doomguy's just like "gently caress outta here" to the monitor he's chatting through :allears:

My favorite bit is during the Cyberdemon cutscene, when he and Doomguy are sizing each other up and Doomguy just flexes his hands like "Oh. You again. Okay, let's do this."

DOOM is such a great game and they need to release some expansion packs already.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Polaron posted:

My favorite bit is during the Cyberdemon cutscene, when he and Doomguy are sizing each other up and Doomguy just flexes his hands like "Oh. You again. Okay, let's do this."

DOOM is such a great game and they need to release some expansion packs already.

No joke. DOOM is one of those rare games where the dev team fully understood what was fun about it and kicked it up to 100% at all times.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

No joke. DOOM is one of those rare games where the dev team fully understood what was fun about it and kicked it up to 100% at all times.

it's funny because everything is so geared towards the multiplayer despite having the best single player campaign of maybe any first person shooter ever with an extremely sub par multiplayer.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

:confused:
The zoom on the binoculars bested most of the scopes you could (care) to get. Scanning with them was a little wonky (Got a guy dead-center, won't scan him. Aim to the side a little and it will work??) but distance was rarely the issue.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It makes me sad and frustrated that I could somehow find no joy in new Doom, despite Doom 1 and 2 being some of my favorite games of all time. What the gently caress was I doing wrong?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Triarii posted:

It makes me sad and frustrated that I could somehow find no joy in new Doom, despite Doom 1 and 2 being some of my favorite games of all time. What the gently caress was I doing wrong?

Dunno. Are you a pod person?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Triarii posted:

You may be playing it like a modern shooter. It's not a modern shooter.

Otherwise you may be just older and your brain cant make associate newer games with fun as strongly or as quickly as it used to.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Triarii posted:

I didn't like it either, felt like another endless wave arena shooter with no real level design or clever enemy placement. Maybe I was expecting it to be too much like, well, Doom

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Croccers posted:

:confused:
The zoom on the binoculars bested most of the scopes you could (care) to get. Scanning with them was a little wonky (Got a guy dead-center, won't scan him. Aim to the side a little and it will work??) but distance was rarely the issue.

he also quit before dd was useable so i think not too much time spent with it

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Bethesda and the companies making DOOM, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored are just knocking it out of the park. Probably the best single player first person shooter games in recent history.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Arctic Baldwin posted:

he also quit before dd was useable so i think not too much time spent with it

Yeah, that was around mission 12 so about 1/4 of the way through, not counting side ops, and right before it starts getting really good.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You may be playing it like a modern shooter. It's not a modern shooter.

Otherwise you may be just older and your brain cant make associate newer games with fun as strongly or as quickly as it used to.

I dunno, I jumped into Overwatch right after Doom and enjoyed the heck out of that, even though I'm usually more into singleplayer games.

I looked up a random playthrough of Doom 2 for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI0DC91r_9g

There are tons of enemies goddamn everywhere. You open a door and oh look, here's a room with 20 enemies shooting at you. The weapons are more powerful to match - a single shot from the regular shotgun is killing two or three enemies from across the room. And the level design interacts with the gameplay in interesting ways, requiring you to exploit it to make these huge crowds of enemies manageable.

In contrast, almost every fight in new Doom is exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6J352J_RG8&t=2273s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new Doom is more akin to Serious Sam than it is to the old Doom. Which is fine with me, personally.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that I think is pretty neat in No Man's Sky is that all the trophies are named after science fiction novels. So the trophy you get for collecting your first couple of alien words is Babel-17 and the one you get for blowing up your first spaceship is Use of Weapons.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I just looked the list up and I'm kind of disappointed there's no Vonnegut there.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

The Dead Rising achievent reference list doesn't include Dead Rising 2: Case Zero's "Littlest Genocide" where since it was a prequel set in a small city you only had to kill 1000 zombies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Buzkashi posted:

I just looked the list up and I'm kind of disappointed there's no Vonnegut there.

It has Galapagos, which isn't as well known Vonnegut but I think they were trying to avoid a lot of obvious choices.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Oh wow I totally missed that one, well :shrug:

That definitely makes sense, though, seems like the kind of thing to go the less obvious route.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

muscles like this? posted:

It has Galapagos, which isn't as well known Vonnegut but I think they were trying to avoid a lot of obvious choices.

[Protagonist of No Man's Sky kills five hundred aliens, puts on sunglasses]

"That was truly a...Slaughterhouse V..."

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
So I found my first atlas station and accepted its mission/quest/whatever. Haven't seen nor heard anything else from the "NO TO THE ATLAS" guys since their first or second message. Am I cut off from them now?

e: this is the wrong thread!

poor life choice has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Aug 11, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The director's commentary in Grim Fandango by itself is pretty neat, but they pointed out the best thing.

Through the whole game, you noticeably never actually see any cat racing going on, despite the racetrack being a big part of the plot/puzzles. Apparently, they decided to script out an entire cat racing simulator, despite this being completely unnecessary, and you can hear the announcer doing live results based on the simulation.

Also apparently, they completely goofed up, and once that cat race simulation starts, they never have it end. It runs in the background of every single scene until the credits roll and you finish the game.

So the races are there, they just never show them to you. Go kitty! :3:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Look at this poor fool that never found the zoom button. MGS V is hands-down one of the most fun games I've ever played, and I say that as someone who can't really get into the rest of the series despite trying repeatedly. It's also seriously laugh-out-loud funny a lot of times where you don't really expect it to be.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
Space Station 13 strikes again:
The bug that lets you steal other peoples UI elements is back.
Its return was celebrated by someone deep-frying a UI element, then beating someone to death with it.

SS13, the gift that keeps giving.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
That's... amazing. Does that basically make every player into Deadpool from the fighting game where you could beat your opponent with your health bar?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SergZpartan posted:

Space Station 13 strikes again:
The bug that lets you steal other peoples UI elements is back.
Its return was celebrated by someone deep-frying a UI element, then beating someone to death with it.

SS13, the gift that keeps giving.

The clusterfuck of code that must exist to let something like this happen accidentally just blows my mind. Looking at SS13's code base must be like opening a hoarder's fridge that's had food sitting in there for so many years that the mold growing on it has started to form sentience.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

SergZpartan posted:

Another case of death by battering.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Triarii posted:

The clusterfuck of code that must exist to let something like this happen accidentally just blows my mind. Looking at SS13's code base must be like opening a hoarder's fridge that's had food sitting in there for so many years that the mold growing on it has started to form sentience.

The programmer's notes lead me to believe this is in fact the case.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

chaos rhames posted:

Another case of death by battering.

Oh goddamn you.

I've heard stories about SS13, not all of them necessarily good. From what I can tell it's in some sort of development hell that may or may not come to fruition due to goons exposing the hosed up PR guy involved with the project. Is any of this right?

Based on the stories in this thread it seems like a game that's absolutely worth checking out, and I've played many a game due to reading about it in this thread. I know this is a tad off topic, but can someone clear this up and tell me whether or not I should be downloading this game, either now or when it comes out officially?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

timp posted:

Oh goddamn you.

I've heard stories about SS13, not all of them necessarily good. From what I can tell it's in some sort of development hell that may or may not come to fruition due to goons exposing the hosed up PR guy involved with the project. Is any of this right?

Based on the stories in this thread it seems like a game that's absolutely worth checking out, and I've played many a game due to reading about it in this thread. I know this is a tad off topic, but can someone clear this up and tell me whether or not I should be downloading this game, either now or when it comes out officially?
Go to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551842 and jump in. It's a broken horrible amazing mess.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

timp posted:

Oh goddamn you.

It sounds like you're confusing Star Citizen and Space Station 13 a bit, which is kind of amazing to imagine.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
Space Station 13 is a game where someone created a sandwich with a name so long it crashed your client... and then gave it life. So every time the angry Frankensandwich attacked someone, it crashed everyone in sight. The admins tried to delete it, only to have their commands lost in the lag spikes. They ended up having to shut the physical server down in order to stop it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kiebland posted:

Space Station 13 is a game where someone created a sandwich with a name so long it crashed your client... and then gave it life. So every time the angry Frankensandwich attacked someone, it crashed everyone in sight. The admins tried to delete it, only to have their commands lost in the lag spikes. They ended up having to shut the physical server down in order to stop it.

They were so impressed they also chose not to ban the Crashwich's creator, so long as they never ever made another. Fractal cooking is an art not to be abused lightly.

There was also Crashpie, which was made in a different round before the glory of the Crashwich, which disconnected people from the game when it was thrown in their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
A real standout is the "Solarium" the actual "Ending" for SS13, one step involves bringing several objects to the titular solarium, at which point an object called "SS13 server" appears. Goons being goons of course commenced to destroy the in-game server, causing the actual server to crash. One of the LP's caught this if I remember correctly.