Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Why mace griffin bounty hunter is the most necessary game of 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Get a load of this guy

he's never beaten an egg with a whisk before
Those clearly aren't eggs sticking to that whisk. If there were any eggs, they have already been beaten, and the process of mixing has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MinibarMatchman posted:

LOL jesus christ this article.

It's a strong contender for the dumbest thing I've read on Kotaku.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

If there were any eggs, they have already been beaten

Mixing enemies isn't gonna sound as good as beating them, and just like the eggs, she'll beat them

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a strong contender for the dumbest thing I've read on Kotaku.

I couldn't bring myself to actually read it. What's his thesis?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
No Man's Sky does not have multiplayer. Sean Murray is a lying jerk, he probably didn't mean anything by it and they clearly are working on multiplayer features but they're not operational right now and he needs to be honest because SO many people keep thinking there's multiplayer and there just isn't.

You're supposed to be able to see people on the map; but you can't because the servers are overloaded.

But even if you could do that; there's nothing in the game that will let you actually see other players. Everything is locally instanced; its single player offline with a database connection for the map and for naming things.

Its a great game IMO but not for everybody, its a game about exploration first and foremost.

I agree that it'd be easier to stomach at $40. Its not a $15 game but its definitely an indie game and there's a lack of polish in some areas, they let Sony kinda over advertise things for them and it got away from them. But Murray absolutely needs to be more honest about the game, he's really loving awful at just... talking.

Still though, very fun game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

voltron lion force posted:

I couldn't bring myself to actually read it. What's his thesis?
This isn't the whole article, but it captures the essence:

quote:

Every astronaut that travelled into space and turned to look at the Earth has had a common revelation. The planet is small. So small and fragile. It’s just hanging there in a black void, housing all of our history and probably most of our future. They describe it as the most amazing sight in the universe. Even if they were standing on the moon or could see countless stars, almost everyone who has left the Earth has said they couldn’t take their eyes off our home planet. Any problems or differences human beings may have on the surface instantly disappear and mean nothing in the blackness of space. From out here, two countries going to war seems about as important as an overdue gas bill.

After more than three years in development, No Man’s Sky will be available on August 10. Despite everyone’s ravenous desire to play it, the team at Hello Games might be the ones most relieved when it is finally released. Their concept of an entire universe will ultimately be delivered. And for the rest of Earth’s humans, the game holds a promise of something that can instantly cause them to dream bigger than the tiny planet they stand on. Infinite possibilities and endless discovery. A solitary experience of galactic exploration beyond everything we know.

No Man’s Sky might just be the game we all need in 2016.

I don't have a problem with Sagan's Pale Blue Dot, but it's incredibly loving hyperbolic to suggest that No Man's Sky is a revelation in regards to humanity's place in the cosmos.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Splatoon was the game we truly needed, not this No Man's Sky, it was the only game that could have possibly brought everyone together and peace for a million years but the higher ups at Nintendo just didn't understood how an israel vs palestine splatfest would help heal the world.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't have a problem with Sagan's Pale Blue Dot, but it's incredibly loving hyperbolic to suggest that No Man's Sky is a revelation in regards to humanity's place in the cosmos.
Yeah, that would be Space Engine. That software is seriously humbling and as everybody who used it will tell you - the first time you zoom out from Earth outside of the solar system and then galaxy - you can really feel the thing for a moment there. The void is calling. It's probably because it uses real distances and data.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This isn't the whole article, but it captures the essence:

Oh Raygun, oh Raygun no...

PBS Newshour posted:

Splatoon was the game we truly needed, not this No Man's Sky, it was the only game that could have possibly brought everyone together and peace for a million years but the higher ups at Nintendo just didn't understood how an israel vs palestine splatfest would help heal the world.

Stretch this into 1500 words, give it a clickbaity title and you're hired

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
No nukes, only inkstrikes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

No Man's Sky does not have multiplayer. Sean Murray is a lying jerk, he probably didn't mean anything by it and they clearly are working on multiplayer features but they're not operational right now and he needs to be honest because SO many people keep thinking there's multiplayer and there just isn't.

You're supposed to be able to see people on the map; but you can't because the servers are overloaded.

But even if you could do that; there's nothing in the game that will let you actually see other players. Everything is locally instanced; its single player offline with a database connection for the map and for naming things.

Its a great game IMO but not for everybody, its a game about exploration first and foremost.

I agree that it'd be easier to stomach at $40. Its not a $15 game but its definitely an indie game and there's a lack of polish in some areas, they let Sony kinda over advertise things for them and it got away from them. But Murray absolutely needs to be more honest about the game, he's really loving awful at just... talking.

Still though, very fun game.

It's basically modern Noctis and I want to play it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What is happening with the reception of No Man's Sky is the ultimate game syndrome. It's the idea that you could simulate a person's whole life or a whole living world or let the player be a god with all the complexities and consequences that come with it. Every game that rubs against this concept in some way will have a lot of people drawn to it that project impossible expectations onto it - it has to offer neverending content with neverending depth. It also explains the Space Citizen phenomenon where every fan idea thrown at the developer is met with 'of course this will be in our game' and people lose their minds.

There are still better and worse sandboxes out there and I haven't bought NMS yet to see which category it falls into but still - it's a sandbox with all the limitations that come with that and not this impossible dream game that some people created in their heads.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched a two hour video of it and you don't do anything. I thought you could build stuff like in Minecraft but all you do is collect endless resources

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Palpek posted:

What is happening with the reception of No Man's Sky is the ultimate game syndrome. It's the idea that you could simulate a person's whole life or a whole living world or let the player be a god with all the complexities and consequences that come with it. Every game that rubs against this concept in some way will have a lot of people drawn to it that project impossible expectations onto it - it has to offer neverending content with neverending depth. It also explains the Space Citizen phenomenon where every fan idea thrown at the developer is met with 'of course this will be in our game' and people lose their minds.

There are still better and worse sandboxes out there and I haven't bought NMS yet to see which category it falls into but still - it's a sandbox with all the limitations that come with that and not this impossible dream game that some people created in their heads.

Yeah absolutely.

Its weird that everybody goes so far with it. I mean, playing the game, its pretty natural to be in space and think stuff like "oh man, what if you could command a fleet of ships?!" and "what if there was an alien city?" and things like that, which aren't in the game. But then I just shrug and go, well, whatever. The game as it is already took a ton of work, and it delievers on the experience its supposed to. You can spend hours and hours just exploring and crafting and shooting things. But you can't expect any real game that exists to be the god-game of your dreams.

And that's how all videogames are, its just space games tend to make people get more dreamy for some reason. I mean you can play GTA and there's a poo poo ton of things you can do, but there's still times where you're like "man, what if we could just rob a bank" or "remember bowling in gta4? but its not in 5..." things like that. Games can't do everything, it takes tons of work just to let you do the things they already let you do.

Cool thing is sounds like they're gonna support it and add more and more over time.

In Training posted:

I watched a two hour video of it and you don't do anything. I thought you could build stuff like in Minecraft but all you do is collect endless resources

You can fly through space, land on a planet, walk around, then fly off the planet and go land on another planet you saw way off in the sky from the first planet, all without loading.
That's really loving cool and no other game really does that.

Its definitely not a building game because you're supposed to keep moving, keep exploring, not come back to the same place over and over.

Its closer to Skyrim or Pokemon Snap than it is to Minecraft. But they are adding building in at some point in the future. (no clue how that's gonna work)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

it's about exploring. sometimes you explore a red rock and the sky is green. sometimes the sky is purple. the same palette shifted tree is on both of them though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the ultimate chill game man. love to chill and throw on a podcast whilst. i'm talking about putting two paint color samples together and imagining there could be life there of course

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't own NMS and probably won't bother with it until it's cheaper, but also from what little I paid attention to it until now it appears to be everything I expected it to be. Like everything I saw leading up to its release made me think it was an exploration game where that was pretty much what you did and that's what its ended up being

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I got to the center of the universe in No Man's Sky and let me just say... you won't believe where DB Cooper ended up!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oddium posted:

it's about exploring. sometimes you explore a red rock and the sky is green. sometimes the sky is purple. the same palette shifted tree is on both of them though

Try checking out some screenshots, if the game was 'red rock green sky, green rock red sky' it'd be super boring. But its not.

My roommate just created a new game, he spawned on an ocean world. He spent hours just swimming around collecting things and naming fish. It also had these wild tower structures with donuts on top, dotting the landscape. Most of them were just rocky but had grass on top, some of them were actually in the water and the part of the tower that went underwater had barnacles all over it, but the parts above water were just smooth rock. Looked really cool.

I have yet to see a single ocean in my neck of space, I've had a mix of pink grass and tree covered Dr.Seuss planets and barren green and brown rocky volcanic planets, there was a yellow planet that was fine normally but would have acid raid storms at times that were nasty, there was a toxic planet with zero life becuase of all the poison that had poison spores in the air, things like that.

There's actually a surprising amount of variety to the planets and things to explore; since that's the whole point of the game.

PBS Newshour posted:

I got to the center of the universe in No Man's Sky and let me just say... you won't believe where DB Cooper ended up!

The FBI finally closed their case on DB Cooper. Its the end of an era :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I sat on a sofa and watched someone play the first three hours of their NMS game, last night. It was awesome and is totally a game I would play myself.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

From what I understand your goal is to reach the center of the universe and they bind your ship's capabilities to resources so you jump from one planet to another in search of those resources in order to be able to jump to planets further away until you can reach your goal. What is supposed to make this journey cool is the procedural creation of dreamy space environments that you travel through. There's nothing more to the game and unless you dig environment exploration / visuals / chilling out to podcasts or music while this interactive screesaver is taking you to worlds you imagined as a kid then it won't be for you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah absolutely.

Its weird that everybody goes so far with it. I mean, playing the game, its pretty natural to be in space and think stuff like "oh man, what if you could command a fleet of ships?!" and "what if there was an alien city?" and things like that, which aren't in the game. But then I just shrug and go, well, whatever. The game as it is already took a ton of work, and it delievers on the experience its supposed to. You can spend hours and hours just exploring and crafting and shooting things. But you can't expect any real game that exists to be the god-game of your dreams.

And that's how all videogames are, its just space games tend to make people get more dreamy for some reason. I mean you can play GTA and there's a poo poo ton of things you can do, but there's still times where you're like "man, what if we could just rob a bank" or "remember bowling in gta4? but its not in 5..." things like that. Games can't do everything, it takes tons of work just to let you do the things they already let you do.

Cool thing is sounds like they're gonna support it and add more and more over time.

You can fly through space, land on a planet, walk around, then fly off the planet and go land on another planet you saw way off in the sky from the first planet, all without loading.
That's really loving cool and no other game really does that.

Its definitely not a building game because you're supposed to keep moving, keep exploring, not come back to the same place over and over.

Its closer to Skyrim or Pokemon Snap than it is to Minecraft. But they are adding building in at some point in the future. (no clue how that's gonna work)

it's Noctis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-gSeLji-o

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess you could think of fun as a resource

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nice new av Video Games! It lets me know you'll be watching over us!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It definitely is a modern, prettier Noctis, but not everybody played Noctis.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zaphod42 posted:

The FBI finally closed their case on DB Cooper. Its the end of an era :(

I know he is still out there, watching over us, and possibly games thread poster Palpek.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Nice new av Video Games! It lets me know you'll be watching over us!

Thank you! I vow to keep all the posting heroes, posting!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Imagine Eurotruck Simulator but if you could go out and walk around the dirty smelly gas stations and talk to other angry truckers. That's No Man's Sky but in space and the gas stations are quite beautiful and instead of truckers there are exotic animals.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sean Murray is the next Molyneux.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Imagine Eurotruck Simulator but if you could go out and walk around the dirty smelly gas stations and talk to other angry truckers. That's No Man's Sky but in space and the gas stations are quite beautiful and instead of truckers there are exotic animals.

Could I split the difference and get like a Space Truckin game

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Could I split the difference and get like a Space Truckin game
Yeah, it's called Elite: Dangerous.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why does Bravely Default cost so much more than Bravely Second?! Wtf

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gwent closed beta starts October 25th :toot:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it's called Elite: Dangerous.

Unironically I play more of the arena battle stuff in ED than anything else. It's still a fun game but the instant Spaceship PVP is too gratifying to avoid.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have played a lot of games like nms and nms is the worst and most shallow of them.

Do not buy it unless you want my copy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I think there's a guy wanting to buy it for $40 on SA-Mart right now, even.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Story of NMS is definitely an OK indie game that was overhyped and overpriced

Endless Ocean seems like a better "wander around and chill" game, IDK though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So Star Citizen is still the best space sim?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

I have played a lot of games like nms and nms is the worst and most shallow of them.

I'll buy your copy for $40 shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Endless Ocean seems like a better "wander around and chill" game, IDK though

There's also that Abzu game that just came out, too.

• Locked thread