Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

this beta male loser gets a gf but I, a respectful presentable and intelligent gentleman of high grooming am still a virgin at 24?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Madkal posted:

As someone who works in a library, I got to say lol. First, most libraries get/pay for permission to lend out movies and other media. Most have deals with distributers and such, so yes, libraries are paying so no it isn't piracy in the least. Secondly, I always love the whole "libraries were once relevant but not anymore" because the person usually saying it assumes that everyone has the same kind of access to information that they do. Seriously, any time you hear anyone bitching about libraries and their services they are usually a FYGM idiot.

I've only met two authors in person who hated libraries because each believed the library's lending model took money out of their pocket. Libraries also buy materials in a bunch of formats: large type, raised type/Braille, audio, digital, digital audio, etc. and the author gets a cut of all that. Not to mention an audience exposed to your works, more reviews, opportunities to do book talks, etc.

An author would have to be loving stupid not to leverage any of that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

queserasera posted:

I've only met two authors in person who hated libraries because each believed the library's lending model took money out of their pocket. Libraries also buy materials in a bunch of formats: large type, raised type/Braille, audio, digital, digital audio, etc. and the author gets a cut of all that. Not to mention an audience exposed to your works, more reviews, opportunities to do book talks, etc.

An author would have to be loving stupid not to leverage any of that.

I was going to post Neil Gaiman's defense of libraries but here probably isn't the place.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zakharov posted:

RIP the GBS r/relationships thread :(

I swear, my enjoyment of a thread kills it faster. What did they close it for?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Hardcordion posted:

I have Belgian acquaintance who says that when he first visited North America he was taken aback by how common tattoos are here. According to him, back home only criminals have tattoos. Maybe it's a cultural/regional thing but I have a feeling that he's just more sheltered than he realises.

He's more sheltered than he realises, a decent amount of people in Belgium(and of course other European countries) have tattoos that are easily covered up or in less visible places, and most of them aren't criminals. The difference is mainly just the visibility.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Brawnfire posted:

A few people were arguing about what counts as pedophilia. Surprisingly it was a lot more stupid than it sounds.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
So what you're saying is not all people who have tattoos are criminals but all criminals have tattoos?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think what we're all trying to say here is that our tattooed ginger friends were able to use the bathhouse but got stared at but let's be real, theyd have been stared at anyway. That's what we're trying to say.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/AngelTilaLove/status/763499722698915840
https://twitter.com/AngelTilaLove/status/763509105075957760
https://twitter.com/AngelTilaLove/status/763509247607005188

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I thought she was getting help :(

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aramek posted:

So what you're saying is not all people who have tattoos are criminals but all criminals have tattoos?

No, not all tattoos have criminals, but all people have tattoos.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Can someone explain to me why a Vietnamese born woman cares about the white race and "race mixing" so much?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

Can someone explain to me why a Vietnamese born woman cares about the white race and "race mixing" so much?

actual medical brain damage

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Brawnfire posted:

It was closed because Genesplicer is a Cool and Good mod who prefers to close threads instead of probating the handful of people that are thread-making GBS threads or concern-trolling.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Madkal posted:

She has a long history of mental illness. In 2012, she suffered a serious brain aneurysm after attempting suicide.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Madkal posted:

Have to stay visible somehow years after your 15 minutes of reality TV show fame are over

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

quote:

Feminism: unrealistic female supremacy put forth by undateably ugly jealous fatties.

quote:

Feminism...A reminder to all men that if they find a woman sexually attractive, they are sexually objectifying her...If they don't find her sexually attractive, they are just a shallow man and care only about looks...

It's like playing Russian roulette with a fully loaded revolver...

quote:

How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb? None, because feminists can't change anything.

quote:

Reading this as I'm taking a mandatory sexual predator course feminists forced on my university.

quote:

That's an insult to people with autism.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr Christmas posted:

What happens to a person that makes them against libraries? I know the word "cartoonishly evil" gets thrown around a lot, but before the Tea Party the only people against libraries were witches in educational computer games with punny names like Miss Lexia who you defeat using your word zapper to shoot all the verbs she tosses at you or something.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

"gently caress the availability of education, capitalism ho!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Didn't bookstores go out of business because of the shift to digital, not because of libraries though? Or am I completely wrong? I just know that ebooks and audio books are way better than having a shelf of poo poo I'll never bother with again because taking one out risks a book avalanche.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Didn't bookstores go out of business because of the shift to digital, not because of libraries though? Or am I completely wrong? I just know that ebooks and audio books are way better than having a shelf of poo poo I'll never bother with again because taking one out risks a book avalanche.

What, you had a bookstore and a library in the same county? No such thing, never happened.

Most bookstores lost out to bigger bookstores. Those are now dying because of ebooks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

At least less bookstores means more oxygen.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

invisible jerk posted:

this woman lives in one of the wealthiest suburbs in Sydney and is a perfect combo of anti-vax, #paleo, raw food, clean eating, toxins etc and constantly shills her "magnesium extract"

#bowel

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Somfin posted:

What, you had a bookstore and a library in the same county? No such thing, never happened.

Most bookstores lost out to bigger bookstores. Those are now dying because of ebooks.

Well, first they all died because of Amazon. Remember when Amazon was a bookstore?

The first to go were the second-tier price-warring guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKVyQn_GB1g&t=509s

If you weren't Borders or Barnes & Noble, your days were numbered. And for a while it seemed like even those were on their way out, but then they congealed and started making Nooks and poo poo, which I never would have seen coming.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Dr Christmas posted:

What happens to a person that makes them against libraries? I know the word "cartoonishly evil" gets thrown around a lot, but before the Tea Party the only people against libraries were witches in educational computer games with punny names like Miss Lexia who you defeat using your word zapper to shoot all the verbs she tosses at you or something.

Because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS8r6zQs62I

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Madkal posted:

I was going to post Neil Gaiman's defense of libraries but here probably isn't the place.

I don't know, he's fodder for much idiocy I've seen on social media.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, he's fodder for much idiocy I've seen on social media.

Is he? Do share some tales. I've never read much about the guy other than the like two books by him I thought were alright.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Supermarkets helped to drive bookstores out of business here in the UK too. Whenever there was a huge book launch that would definitely sell a load of copies on the first day e.g. Harry Potter they'd sell it below cost in hopes that people at the supermarket anyway would buy other poo poo, depriving bookstores of their one guaranteed massive sales day.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Didn't most comic stores go out of business because more mainstream places like bookstores and grocers started stocking them?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SoldadoDeTone posted:

My wife and I are about to have a baby, and one message that has been pounded into us during every class we've taken has been that Mom is always right. Health professionals tell us time and again that Mom's instincts are correct, so if you think something is dangerous then it must be.

I think the point is so Mom won't ignore warning signs in a baby, but I am absolutely sure that many people take it as Gospel that they can do no wrong.

From my experience, non-doctor health professionals aren't any better than the general population when it comes to believing health-related pseudoscience.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

From my experience, non-doctor health professionals aren't any better than the general population when it comes to believing health-related pseudoscience.

I work in a hospital and this is the truth. More than a couple cars in the employee lot are festooned with MLM gimmick stuff like the IT WORKS wraps (it says it works in the name, so why argue?) and I know at least 2 nurses that try to sell Doterra stuff - which honestly smell nice, but that's about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As usual, public post on a trending topic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does supermarket mean grocery store in the UK like it does here?

Like when people say they sell books and video games and stuff, are we talking like a Walmart supercenter/Costco type of thing here or a place with a video game aisle between the fruit and frozen sections?

Kay Kessler posted:

Didn't most comic stores go out of business because more mainstream places like bookstores and grocers started stocking them?

Maybe 20-30 years ago. Today they go out of business because the comic industry is very small.

It's why most you see are 90% toys and merchandise now.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Aug 11, 2016

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Skinny white guy with bad black and white tattoos? Why I never!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

As usual, public post on a trending topic.

Can anyone here translate this garbage?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HiroProtagonist posted:

Can anyone here translate this garbage?

Die Antwoord and their fans are accusing the Suicide Squad movie of ripping off their style for the Joker and Harley Quinn (pretty sure their style was all taken from certain comics that already existed, but whatever).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Aphrodite posted:

Like when people say they sell books and video games and stuff, are we talking like a Walmart supercenter/Costco type of thing here or a place with a video game aisle between the fruit and frozen sections?

Yes.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

chitoryu12 posted:

Die Antwoord and their fans are accusing the Suicide Squad movie of ripping off their style for the Joker and Harley Quinn (pretty sure their style was all taken from certain comics that already existed, but whatever).

It's extra funny since Die Antwoord have lifted their entire schtick from South Africa's Cape gangsters and got in trouble for "appropriating" Jane Alexander's The Butcher Boys in one of their music videos.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Data Graham posted:

Well, first they all died because of Amazon. Remember when Amazon was a bookstore?

The first to go were the second-tier price-warring guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKVyQn_GB1g&t=509s

If you weren't Borders or Barnes & Noble, your days were numbered. And for a while it seemed like even those were on their way out, but then they congealed and started making Nooks and poo poo, which I never would have seen coming.
Also when B&N first came on the scene they put a lot of smaller bookstores (like the one depicted in the comic) out of business. Libraries were a thing for centuries and bookstores did fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Jesus. My wife grew up in bumfuck, nowhere in eastern Washington state and all her family are rabid Trump fans and I see several posts about 'Killary' and Benghazi a day. To make it worse they're all evangelical christians so that's fun too. Its really weird to be a somewhat liberal Scandinavian up there. On the one hand I'm a veteran and must be worshipped, on the other Im clearly part of the liberalc conspiracy against Trump and Christians. It just weirds me out. My wife bought me a Bernie shirt as a joke AFTER the primaries(I'm not a citizen, can't vote, wasn't involved in politics at all) and when I posted it on facebook her mother messaged her and disinvited us from visiting for a family function that weekend.

Two more weeks until my wife and me relocate to Europe. Going to school in Spokane was such bad choice, and in retrospect I shouldn't have let her talk me into going there instead of the east coast just because it was closer to home. At least she's as eager as me to get out now.