Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Speaking of Lobo, frag all these recent comic book movies. Where is our 90 minutes of Lobo stomping around, grabbing asses, spouting catchphrases, and shoving grenades into people's mouths

Seriously, we need this like now, bastiches

With the huge success of Deadpool, I could totally see DC trying to get a Lobo movie off the ground to capitalize on the "R-rated tongue-in-cheek anti-hero violent action comedy" market. The question is, who could play him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Patattack posted:

With the huge success of Deadpool, I could totally see DC trying to get a Lobo movie off the ground to capitalize on the "R-rated tongue-in-cheek anti-hero violent action comedy" market. The question is, who could play him?

Ron Perlman

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Patattack posted:

If this happened 25 years ago, Randall "Tex" Cobb would have been perfect. His role in Raising Arizona is who I think of whenever I think of Lobo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

My IIMM was that there wasn't enough Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad. He was clearly the best part of it.

Yeah I never expected to want more Jai Courtney in a movie.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

EdibleBodyParts posted:

If this happened 25 years ago, Randall "Tex" Cobb would have been perfect. His role in Raising Arizona is who I think of whenever I think of Lobo.

Ooh, good call. There's some parallel universe where comic book movies blew up a few decades earlier, and this is what they got.

welp

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jason Momoa can do a double.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I never expected to want more Jai Courtney in a movie.

Everything I've read about him seems to say that when he's allowed to have fun with a supporting character, it's great, but he keeps getting shoved into serious front man roles.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Tunicate posted:

Does it have the part where he gets mistaken for a vampire?

He goes into jail a human and he comes out a purple space elf in a cape so I don't remember the part of the book you're referring to but he literally looks like a vampire so I think it probably happens at least three times.

I can think of two things they changed at the ending that were weird but everything else was really well adapted. Like two characters get blown up in separate explosions at the very end when in the book they lived.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Patattack posted:

Laverne Cox would own the everliving poo poo out of that role and provide the added benefit of angering nerds whose "childhoods were ruined" by the casting choice.

So get on it, Hollywood, you fraggin' bastiches

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Patattack posted:

The question is, who could play him?

Danny Trejo

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Patattack posted:

Brad Garret

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

bobkatt013 posted:

Brad Garret

I was just going to post this. He was awesome as Lobo in the DCAU.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Watching EQUILIBRIUM the other day and as we all know it's a perfect film thanks to Taye Digg's handsome face, HOWEVER...

There's a scene where Preston's kids are eating chocolate cereal. Like, not flakes or rice crispies... They're like curls? Forget the name of them. Why are they eating chocolate cereal?

We had to pause the film because we were all drunk and this turned into a big debate about if emotion governs taste and would you even care of you didn't feel and the fact slugs don't taste, so why should kids.

As I said before, it's a perfect film thanks to Taye Diggs with literally NO OTHER KIND of mis-steps or plot holes or flaws bar the kids eating chocolate cereal*.

* In the end we theorised it was some kind of bran cereal... Maybe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's just future Grape Nuts.
And I'm glad you recognize that Equilibrium is a perfect film without any flaws that undermine the core conceit of the film.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Patattack posted:

Didn't DC recently overhaul Lobo to be a skinny attractive goth dude?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And had him kill the original one that people liked, I think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Drunken Baker posted:

Watching EQUILIBRIUM the other day and as we all know it's a perfect film thanks to Taye Digg's handsome face, HOWEVER...

There's a scene where Preston's kids are eating chocolate cereal. Like, not flakes or rice crispies... They're like curls? Forget the name of them. Why are they eating chocolate cereal?

We had to pause the film because we were all drunk and this turned into a big debate about if emotion governs taste and would you even care of you didn't feel and the fact slugs don't taste, so why should kids.

As I said before, it's a perfect film thanks to Taye Diggs with literally NO OTHER KIND of mis-steps or plot holes or flaws bar the kids eating chocolate cereal*.

* In the end we theorised it was some kind of bran cereal... Maybe.

Weren't the kids also stashing meds? I swear the one boy told him to hide them better.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Aphrodite posted:

And sometimes people wonder why MCU keep making bank.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Weren't the kids also stashing meds? I swear the one boy told him to hide them better.

Yeah but where would they get the cereal?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One More Day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

BvS made more money than all but like 3 MCU movies, so it's probably not that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah but where would they get the cereal?

Cereal black market?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Aphrodite posted:

BvS made more money than all but like 3 MCU movies, so it's probably not that.

And Suicide Squad beat out Guardians of the Galaxy's record for money in August.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Considering Lobo was basically created to make fun of the fans that like those kinds of characters and then the fans didn't get it and liked him anyway, I'd say this is really just getting back to his roots.

Also, required Lobo/Wolverine discussion crossover comic anti-climax page.

pr0zac has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Aug 11, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I never really like any superhuman who is invulnerable to bullets, as in, bullets literally bounce off of them. It was a cool scene in Superman Returns when you see the bullet literally bounce off of his eye, but all this does is make every single encounter they have until the 'boss' of the film completely pointless because invariably it's a bunch of mooks with guns.

On the other hand, it's kind of unrealistic for any supervillain who isn't more or less immune to bullets (or capable of 100% reliably avoiding them or whatever) to be capable of resisting the police/military. It can work for superheroes since they don't usually have to go against a large number of organized people with guns*, but any villain is inevitably going to run into the police or (if the police aren't enough) the military. So they need some believable way to reliably deal with a bunch of people firing at them with assault rifles. This is especially true for any "serious threat to the world as a whole" villain; you can at least use "they want to capture him, not kill him" for the more small time guys.

Granted, many (if not most) villains seem to not pass this "test", and the writers just ignore the fact that they could easily be killed by a bunch of guns. Pretty much anyone with a normal mortal body who can shoot lasers or whatever fits this mold.

*Spiderman is a good example; his ability lets him reliably avoid a small number of guns, but he's in big trouble if a bunch of people with automatic guns are firing at him. But this is okay since Spiderman generally isn't taking on organizations with hundreds of soldiers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

pr0zac posted:

Considering Lobo was basically created to make fun of the fans that like those kinds of characters and then the fans didn't get it and liked him anyway, I'd say this is really just getting back to his roots.

Also, required Lobo/Wolverine discussion crossover comic anti-climax page.

Oh there was definitely a climax.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

pr0zac posted:

Considering Lobo was basically created to make fun of the fans that like those kinds of characters and then the fans didn't get it and liked him anyway

So, Archie Bunker, but for comic books?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My IIMM isn't with Stranger Things but all the stuff it highlights that's wrong with other stuff, gonna put these in spoilers even though they aren't really because I'm a top guy.

It was really refreshing to have a gruff alcoholic police chief who was actually really competent at his job

Very rarely I found myself thinking "why on Earth would you do that?", most characters acted pretty sensibly almost all the time

Good child actors, loads of them

The douchbag boyfriend actually has an arc and plenty of likeable qualities

The only bad part was someone spoiling the finale for me :saddowns:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't know if competent is the right word to describe the sheriff.

He was motivated and uh, enthusiastic but at some point you have to wonder why he was allowed to get away with what he was.

But I like the character. Sometimes enthusiasm is worth something and it not being totally grimdark for him was refreshing.

Sucks about that girl though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I understand reversing the trope of girls who gently caress in horror movies die.

Very sex positive but like nobody cared about her literally couldn't be bothered with her corpse. She's rotting in upside down land and they brought back the boy with Pennywise 2.0

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The AMC version of Preacher seemed to have a semi-decent sheriff. gently caress, most of the time you felt sorry for the poor dude.

Along those lines, Tulip freaking the gently caress out because she had a miscarriage during the bank robbery just came from nowhere and seemed forced in for tension. Bitch, you just robbed a loving bank with clearly lots of witnesses who are tied up while you make jokes about a goddamn dildo. It might have made a visual impact if, I don't know, she had been visually showing but nope, it came out of nowhere and did pretty much nothing, and certainly didn't make me like the wild crazy pixie girl any more.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

The AMC version of Preacher seemed to have a semi-decent sheriff. gently caress, most of the time you felt sorry for the poor dude.

Along those lines, Tulip freaking the gently caress out because she had a miscarriage during the bank robbery just came from nowhere and seemed forced in for tension. Bitch, you just robbed a loving bank with clearly lots of witnesses who are tied up while you make jokes about a goddamn dildo. It might have made a visual impact if, I don't know, she had been visually showing but nope, it came out of nowhere and did pretty much nothing, and certainly didn't make me like the wild crazy pixie girl any more.

As I understand it it's based on a graphic novel comic book so they're just trying to adapt it for television.

Already heard some of what was in the books and it's probably stupider than the show.

I hope Eugene comes back :3:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

(Stranger Things)

syscall girl posted:

I don't know if competent is the right word to describe the sheriff.

He was motivated and uh, enthusiastic but at some point you have to wonder why he was allowed to get away with what he was.

But I like the character. Sometimes enthusiasm is worth something and it not being totally grimdark for him was refreshing.

Sucks about that girl though.

It was kinda strange that They decided to drug the sheriff instead of offing him like the cafeteria dude. I guess it could be explained as them not wanting too many "suicides" in a small area, but an "accidental death" could probably have worked.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

syscall girl posted:

As I understand it it's based on a graphic novel comic book so they're just trying to adapt it for television.

Already heard some of what was in the books and it's probably stupider than the show.

I hope Eugene comes back :3:
That particular bit originates 100% in the show though. I agree that it doesn't add much to her character and kinda comes out of nowhere, and I feel like "this guy hosed us over in the robbery" would have been perfectly good motivation for her all on its own. A protagonist with a character flaw (being vindictive) is more interesting to me than one with a cookie cutter "revenge motivation for females" backstory.

About the only thing it did do is explain why she was so incredibly angry at Jesse for not following her lead, but, eh, wasn't really necessary either.

and yeah the show can have its flaws but the books are, uh, very much a product of their time, and some highly questionable writing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The books are very much a product of Garth Ennis, which explains a lot more. The quintessential Ennis book would be titled Perverted Superhero War Stories.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EmmyOk posted:

The douchbag boyfriend actually has an arc and plenty of likeable qualities

I was so expecting him to step in the bear trap and get eaten, I was so pleased when he jumped over it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

The books are very much a product of Garth Ennis, which explains a lot more. The quintessential Ennis book would be titled Perverted Superhero War Stories.

You didn't fit Irish in there

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Irish SAS.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jedit posted:

Perverted Irish Superhero War Stories And Also gently caress The Catholics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That sounds more his jam.