Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

OMGVBFLOL posted:

overdrafting my checking account is the only credit i qualify for

i'm just joshin' y'all, i'm actually in so much credit card debt it gets hard to breathe when i think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'm just joshin' y'all, i'm actually in so much credit card debt it gets hard to breathe when i think about it

Then don't think about it, what's the problem here?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

Driving a vehicle also costs a lot more than the cost of gas though so it really depends on whether these are 2 or 6 hour shifts.

Either way it sounds like a very sad existence overall.

Using the IRS rate of 54cents a mile, and figuring if he's driving with his boss it's probably an 8 hour shift, he'd have to be going pretty far for him to come out ahead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Barry posted:

Using the IRS rate of 54cents a mile, and figuring if he's driving with his boss it's probably an 8 hour shift, he'd have to be going pretty far for him to come out ahead.

His work is about 10 miles from his house and he works 6 to 8-hour shifts 3-4 days a week. It is definitely a dumb decision, but he says he doesn't want to deal with the cops and he has a couple hundred dollars in tickets that he says are unavoidable. I'm sure the cops are assholes and shouldn't be profiling like that, but everyone in the world is always out to get him so it is impossible to know what is really going on.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Barry posted:

figuring if he's driving with his boss it's probably an 8 hour shift

I think that's a baseless assumption given that it's a part-time job. Also plenty of people travel 15 miles each way for a poo poo job, which would make it just about even.

edit: based on the above post, he comes out about a buck short when it's 6 hours, about 5 bucks short when it's 8. It's not a huge difference really.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 10, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

His work is about 10 miles from his house and he works 6 to 8-hour shifts 3-4 days a week. It is definitely a dumb decision, but he says he doesn't want to deal with the cops and he has a couple hundred dollars in tickets that he says are unavoidable. I'm sure the cops are assholes and shouldn't be profiling like that, but everyone in the world is always out to get him so it is impossible to know what is really going on.

Has anyone actually floated the suggestion of removing the offensive bumper stickers?

Granted, I don't really want a heroin addict driving anyway, so maybe it's for the best.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think the IRS rate is incredibly generous and the actual cost of driving your shitbox back and forth to work doesn't add up to 54 cents a mile of wear/tear/fuel.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Way to move the goal posts.

If you need new brake pads, on average it costs $300 (though it can be much more), which would be about a month of a $2 an hour discount after tax at his brother's 25ish hours per week. Car costs add up quickly.

This isn't even beginning to touch the insurance costs a heroin addict with a history of running into the police might have, even for liability only.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

- My younger cousin is 28. He just got finished his first semester at a private art college that he "didn't have to pay anything for" to study automotive art (Ed Note: I have no idea what automotive art is).
I think it's pretty obvious:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

If you need new brake pads, on average it costs $300 (though it can be much more), which would be about a month of a $2 an hour discount after tax at his brother's 25ish hours per week. Car costs add up quickly.

This isn't even beginning to touch the insurance costs a heroin addict with a history of running into the police might have, even for liability only.

Or you could be an adult and change them yourself for like 50 bucks

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

DoubleT2172 posted:

Or you could be an adult and change them yourself for like 50 bucks

Some of us have a DEBILITATING DISABILITY that won't allow us to work on our cars.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 10, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

No Butt Stuff posted:

Some of us have a big ol' penis that won't allow us to work on our cars.

Do you feel it? The derail about being bad with money. It is Coming

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 10, 2016

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do you feel it? The derail about NOTHING AT ALLs being bad with money. It is Coming

Shiiiiiiit. I'll edit the post if you edit the quote in yours.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

I didn't move any drat goalposts. I just stated that the IRS rate probably doesn't paint a real picture of what it costs to drive any particular shitbox. It's impossible to account for individual scenarios in one single rate.

If he has a car, he's already paying insurance (hopefully) so it doesn't really factor into the actual rate of driving the car (assuming he's driving sober, at least) unless he's on some mileage based insurance plan.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Yeah that guy is definitely making his insurance premium payments regularly and not buying heroin instead.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Leck posted:

I think it's pretty obvious:

van art is the last honest form of artistic expression left

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

- My younger cousin is 28. He just got finished his first semester at a private art college that he "didn't have to pay anything for" to study automotive art (Ed Note: I have no idea what automotive art is). He is not going back for another semester and it turns out that he didn't have to pay for it because the financial office at the school "took care of it" for him. This means that he got a $3000 "scholarship" that he doesn't have to repay if he graduates and the school gave him a loan of 38k. He is now 41k in debt and his parents are hitting up the rest of the family to pay his student loans.

If he's doing automotive design and he's going to Art Center in Pasadena, he'd be an idiot not to finish his degree given the fact that they have a top program in it. Of course its super-work and he'll probably be sleeping less than 2 hours a night for weeks on end. The payout in the end is that he'll have a kick-rear end portfolio and he'll be cream of the crop when it comes to applying for pretty well-paying jobs.

If he isn't there, he shouldn't waste his time and just get out as soon as possible.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

No Butt Stuff posted:

Some of us have a DEBILITATING DISABILITY that won't allow us to work on our cars.

Is placing value on one's own time a disability?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shadowhand00 posted:

If he's doing automotive design and he's going to Art Center in Pasadena, he'd be an idiot not to finish his degree given the fact that they have a top program in it. Of course its super-work and he'll probably be sleeping less than 2 hours a night for weeks on end. The payout in the end is that he'll have a kick-rear end portfolio and he'll be cream of the crop when it comes to applying for pretty well-paying jobs.

If he isn't there, he shouldn't waste his time and just get out as soon as possible.

It was the Art Institute in Philadelphia and he already got out after 41k and 1 semester.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

High Lord Elbow posted:

Is placing value on one's own time a disability?

placing value on sitting on my rear end, more like

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Not to mention plenty of people have poo poo boxes that average under 20MPG, aren't reliable, and aren't maintained properly. This is probably especially true for people with low income that also make lots of bad decisions.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Good / Bad News for me. I have more personal BWM stories to share.

Family level BWM antics are the worst.

My mom is a senior and still lives a transient lifestyle where she drives her RV around the US hopping from one place to the next. Every time I call her she's in a different place trying to brew up some craigslist or yard-sale arbitrage scheme. Last time I talked to her she had found a buyer in florida for a $1000 mechanical loom in Idaho who'd pay $5000. She decided to drive from florida to Idaho and back again in her motorhome when the buyer hadn't even committed to anything.

On the inlaw side I've got a sister-in-law who's been trying to cure middle-aged women's infertility with crystal prayers over skype. Just $100 a session! For some reason this amazing business idea hasn't take off in the past two years she's been trying to make it work (read:unemployed) and now she's trying to get family members to buy her inheritance stakes (read: her only long-term accruing source of wealth.)

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 11, 2016

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

It's one of those MLM schemes.

https://www.myitworks.com/

Bonus: Personal testimonies from those who sucker the BWM http://www.myitworks.com/crazywrap/stories/

Oh yeah, It Works has been making the round on Facebook. And I happen to know a fellow with a strong track record of BWM:

-Attended Everest College to become a medical technician. Everest College was part of the Corinthian system, which was so exploitative it got shut down by the feds. No word on if he got a refund.
-Has been working the graveyard shift at 7/11 for about a decade.
-Really likes Rainier beer. Calls it Vitamin R. Has a tattoo.

Anyway, let's see his thoughts on It Works:

At least people in the comments are warning him it is a pyramid scheme. Leading to replies that all businesses are pyramid schemes. :doh:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

#job

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Big surprise, we scared off all the bwm people seeking help and now it's just wealthy patricians discussing 401k allocations.

2017 will be better: I may buy a German sports car to try to fill the hole in my overworked soul!

#humblebrag

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 11, 2016

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

This sounds suspiciously like he got a DUI, lost his license, and is hiding it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Xenoborg posted:

This sounds suspiciously like he got a DUI, lost his license, and is hiding it.

He already has one DUI and still has his license. He drives his car sometimes, but not to work.

Honestly, I just check in to make sure he is alive periodically for my parents and make sure he has enough money to live. I'm 99% sure he still has his license and insurance though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mojo Threepwood posted:

-Attended Everest College to become a medical technician. Everest College was part of the Corinthian system, which was so exploitative it got shut down by the feds. No word on if he got a refund.

Seems legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
BWM & BWL coworker bragging to me about how he is going to take our companies generous tuition assistance program to get his MBA at a top program and then immediately quit and declare bankruptcy to avoid paying for it and leave for more pay at another company.

Dude. I'm going to rat you out so fast if you do this because youre going to gently caress it up for the rest of us.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Apparently in his world bankruptcy is something that happens quickly and easily.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
"I...."
"Declare..."
"BANKRUPTCYYYYY!!"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Apparently in his world bankruptcy is something that happens quickly and easily.

and has no long term consequences, especially for high earners!

my company solved this problem by making people pay back all of the tuition expenses if they didnt stay for 3 years past the last date of the class taken (excludes layoffs).

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

my company solved this problem by making people pay back all of the tuition expenses if they didnt stay for 3 years past the last date of the class taken.

Pretty sure that's what the bk is for in his plan unless he's real dumb

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm under the impression that bankruptcy judges aren't dumb and can refuse to discharge debts taken out when you were never intending to pay for them. This has a section about not racking up new debts shortly before bankruptcy, under the same general principle.

The guy might have had a shot if he kept his plans to himself, but he was dumb enough to tell his coworkers about this, so...:rip:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 11, 2016

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

He already has one DUI and still has his license. He drives his car sometimes, but not to work.

Speaking as someone with a lot of addicts in my family, the fact that he drives still doesn't at all mean he still has a valid license.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

antiga posted:

Pretty sure that's what the bk is for in his plan unless he's real dumb

he sounds p dumb

but according to the guy i was sitting next to last week at work, even earning 80k or so a year was enough of a salary to have him in chapter 13, paying like 1k/mo to his debts

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A coworker says he has put 3 hard drives into his work laptop out of pocket because they don't stock a large enough hard drive, so he would have to wait a few days for the new disk to arrive. The concept of a loaner (of which there are a dozen) or using a smaller disk (again, a dozen in stock) in the interim was completely foreign.

It's pretty light on the BWM scale, but who spends a net of $500 on their work laptop instead of waiting a few days?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

he sounds p dumb

but according to the guy i was sitting next to last week at work, even earning 80k or so a year was enough of a salary to have him in chapter 13, paying like 1k/mo to his debts

I just met with a bankruptcy attorney here in Florida and the cutoff for chapter 7 was $43,000/year, so yea, $80k is way over the limit. Granted, I'm sure the limit is different for different states.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Idk I think it's perfectly fair for cops to profile a car that basically has a bunch of "I ENJOY COMMITTING CRIMES" stickers on the back. Being an idiot is not a protected class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Idk I think it's perfectly fair for cops to profile a car that basically has a bunch of "I ENJOY COMMITTING CRIMES" stickers on the back. Being an idiot is not a protected class.

loving lol at putting the words "piggy want a donut" on the back of your car and then complaining about cops giving you poo poo

i have a deep, personal empathy for the insanity of addiction, but that's beyond even me

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 11, 2016

• Locked thread