Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Hmm, so what are they using I wonder? At work, so couldn't read the article, just your post.
Some weird hybrid of Id Tech and Saber's tech.

I recall reading in an interview that Id Tech 6 was way less "generalized" and more Doom 4-specific than previous Id Techs, so I guess this makes some form of sense. Still weird, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Heavy Metal posted:

The Judge Dredd comic had a dinosaur theme park cloned from DNA too, 12 years before Crichton. 5 years after Westworld, but with more dinos than Westworld. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanus_(comics)

quote:

A scientist used Satanus blood on a person to see if he mutated, he succeeded.
:iit:

Also, citation needed.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
It might be a more reasonable approach to back off of iD Tech if it'd mean that Quake Champs would not be all mega-textured out and weighing in at 40+ gigabytes for 15 DM maps or whatever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mogomra posted:

:iit:

Also, citation needed.

Scary stuff on wikipedia! Scary... but true! Don't drink dino blood, kids.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The bounciness-obsessed Beed28 wants you to lose your lunch by looking at this picture:

I think the worst part is how the sky stops tiling while warping around.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

loga mira posted:

Maybe the solution to the sidekick question is a third game mode. For example a mode where they can die and respawn at the start of the next map, and you don't have to wait for them at map change. I think players will be motivated to keep them alive naturally, or they can be given some incentive.

There was a lot of outstanding talent in the studio that Romero ran. The Finnish guy who made those Arab maps and the accompanying popular blue textures set for Quake also worked on Daikatana. The game is such a patchwork of styles. If you made a game this way today it would be amazing. Something like McGee's second Alice game but even more visually incoherent.

I would've had it so that the player does not need to bring the partners with them to the exit (they'd respawn as soon as you got into the next map, like you'd see in a modern game) nor does the game end if one of them dies. That way, they can still help, but they don't impede the game when they get stuck or decide to charge into an enemy-filled room and get slaughtered.

A Daikatana remake would be awesome if only to rebuild Episode 1's maps from scratch so they're good. Hell, I'd be happy with Episode 2 expanded into a full game.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Cat Mattress posted:

The bounciness-obsessed Beed28 wants you to lose your lunch by looking at this picture:

This is beautiful

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

System Shock 2 is done. Man what a great game. Man what a lovely last few hours.

For some reason the gamma on my copy wouldn't change, so being asked to find 16 black eggs on a blacked out spaceship maze was a loving nightmare - especially when I had one left and just couldn't find it. Also, there's the weirdly Half-Life aping final stages where it plunges you into a gross organic landscape and jettisons all the fun tech stuff that made the game fun up until then.

Still, I deeply dug the game - how could I not when my character ended up wearing a suit made out of worms, firing a gun that shot worms at people and compulsively eating worms off the floor to regain health. Felt like I'd become the exact kind of monster I ended up being shat out of in the finale. Also, surprisingly great writing throughout - who'd have thought that the originator of the audiolog plot device would also have been the best example of it? Found myself genuinely kinda gutted when I found Delacroix dead. Also, obviously, SHODAN is a fantastic baddie - though I wish there was an ending choice so you could sign up to be her BDSM tech monster disciple as she takes over reality.

Loved being aboard the Von Braun too, really felt like a plausible place that people could live on. Heading through the rec deck with its bars, restaurants and cyber-brothels was fantastic - you can see the DNA of Bioshock all over the place.

drat good game, worth the reputation and the HD texture mods are some of the best I've seen. Definitely going to give the original System Shock a whirl now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Please tell me there's a wad for this

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

For some reason the gamma on my copy wouldn't change, so being asked to find 16 black eggs on a blacked out spaceship maze was a loving nightmare - especially when I had one left and just couldn't find it.

Huh, that's strange. The Rickenbacker is dark, but not that dark. Were you playing the GOG version?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Huh, that's strange. The Rickenbacker is dark, but not that dark. Were you playing the GOG version?

Nah, a modded Steam version. I guess not helping was playing in a sunny office with no curtains.

I love having a job where i can play 90s FPSs all day and no-one notices.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/763805379117494272

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
:captainpop::aaaaa: Legitimately more exciting news than the remake.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brutal System Shock, here we come!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

Brutal System Shock, here we come!
And it'll be for ZDoom, like every other Brutal mod

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shadow Hog posted:

And it'll be for ZDoom, like every other Brutal mod

Lol

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Does that mean I could create a game use the system shock engine and make tons of money?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shayu posted:

Does that mean I could create a game use the system shock engine and make tons of money?

Depends on the license. For example, the Hexen code was initially released under a restrictive license that made releasing a source port practically impossible. After much lobbying it was then re-released under the GPL which meant that anyone could use it for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, so long as they published their source code in turn.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
System Shock source code? Remake?? I....I just... :vince:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Some weird hybrid of Id Tech and Saber's tech.

I recall reading in an interview that Id Tech 6 was way less "generalized" and more Doom 4-specific than previous Id Techs, so I guess this makes some form of sense. Still weird, though.

Who's Saber? What did they do?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Saber Interactive? The ones helping develop Quake Champions? Past games include:
  • Will Rock
  • TimeShift
  • Battle: Los Angeles
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
  • Inversion
  • God Mode
  • R.I.P.D. The Game
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo Online
Make of it what you will.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Shadow Hog posted:

Saber Interactive? The ones helping develop Quake Champions? Past games include:
  • Will Rock
  • TimeShift
  • Battle: Los Angeles
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
  • Inversion
  • God Mode
  • R.I.P.D. The Game
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo Online
Make of it what you will.

And? These are mostly good games. Even if half of them are halo titles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Most of those are actually terrible.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hope that G/ZDoom continues to roll around like a classic game katamari and adds System Shock support.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
It still tickles me that a license like RIPD managed to produce a tie-in game in the year 2013.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

david_a posted:

The slock novel Carnosaur (the incredibly loose basis for the terrible movie series of the same name) has an eccentric rich dude creating a dinosaur zoo based on DNA found in fossils. They're all genetic hybrids too, but they use chickens instead of frogs to fill in the gaps. It predates the Jurassic Park novel by six years.

So you're saying that not only did Carnosaur have a more appropriate title than Jurassic Park, it also had better science?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It came out the same year as the (equally bad) movie.

All the games on that Saber list are bad except for the 360 Halo 1 remake, so excuse me for not being terribly excited that they're involved.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Saber is a team of genuinely talented people that have been forever relegated to bargain-basement titles. TimeShift and Inversion have some pretty damm cool tech, but are lacklustre in terms of actually USING that tech to make a good game.
Hopefully, Champions lets them show off how good they actually are without being encumbered by having to create their own IP or the ball and chain of narrative.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I hope that G/ZDoom continues to roll around like a classic game katamari and adds System Shock support.

ZDoom currently only supports a grand total of 1 engine, so this is unlikely.

A System Shock (and Underworld?) port with proper modding support would be rad as hell though. People have long since reverse engineered most of Shock's data, but the archive formats are kind of cumbersome and there's really never been a lot in the way of tools. Having proper engine support for loading user-made content could potentially at least kick off something akin to the SS2 fan mission scene.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Someone set this to a funk bass line.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

daft punk railroad posted:

It's also worth pointing out there are a couple interesting usages of the Doom engine that likely will not get ported to G/ZDoom, such as Cruis'n Velocity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Woolie Wool posted:

Someone set this to a funk bass line.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/ZdMzYho.gif&v=8Njvm1g38v8

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

And? These are mostly good games. Even if half of them are halo titles.
Like I said, make of it what you will. I made no judgment on the quality of any of the games listed, largely because I haven't played many of them.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

daft punk railroad posted:

I think it still has a bunch of Build engine code crammed into it.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

That's just some various rendering-related (voxels, decals, etc.) and miscellaneous performance-tuning stuff, not a very large amount of code (and nothing close to actual gameplay support, either way).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's also worth pointing out there are a couple interesting usages of the Doom engine that likely will not get ported to G/ZDoom, such as Cruis'n Velocity.
Don't forget the PC version of Killing Time!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4XtdEnWx4

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Linguica posted:

Don't forget the PC version of Killing Time!

I remember reading that the PC version of Killing Time was different from the 3DO version. Didn't know it was on the Doom engine.

Is it possible to get Killing Time running on Windows 7, or do you need to set up a virtual machine or something? Is it also worth checking out the original 3DO version?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I'm amazed that's still being worked on, but it doesn't look like they ever reworked the movement to make the game feel like Goldeneye instead of Generic Source Engine FPS. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rxPZbhuhQ8

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm amazed that's still being worked on, but it doesn't look like they ever reworked the movement to make the game feel like Goldeneye instead of Generic Source Engine FPS. :(
That would be really really hard

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 12, 2016