Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I bought my son an ATV because I'm a cool dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Solid Cake posted:

I got engaged this weekend so here is the ring I bought for my boyfriend:

It's made of titanium with a stripe of crushed T. Rex fossil (big reddish one) and a smaller stripe of stardust from an Argentinian meteorite. He proposed to me at a (mostly empty) restaurant, but he told me later that he had originally wanted to propose in front of Sue while we were there over the weekend but all the people there made him too nervous. What a huge nerd :3:

Is that a custom job? If so, how long did it take to find a professional lapidary willing to work with fossils, and a jeweler who could accommodate such a unique request? I'm not even going to ask what it cost by the end of it.

It took forever to find someone who could work with ammonite and was cool with taking on a similar project back when I got married.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
This hilariously wrong mint julep recipe inspired me to get around to stocking a liquor cabinet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA

So I got:

Plus mid-shelf (I guess?) bottles of various liquors. Tell me how I hosed up and which brands I should get next time. The most glaring omission right now is probably rum. Liquor store was closing and I didn't have time to mull it over.

Also, various liqueurs, bitters, and other mixers. Tons of things should get added to this list and eventually will.

Edit: holy hell, having those as separate images was no good for mobile. Shouldn't be a million pages long now.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Aug 10, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

big mean giraffe posted:

Because it's delicious? God you are the worst.

Sit and eat a pound of fat if that's what makes you happy you disgusting cretin.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

Sit and eat a pound of fat if that's what makes you happy you disgusting cretin.

Hey Bill, how lean do you like your beef cuts?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bill got fat the hard way, gently caress all you shortcut takers.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

NewFatMike posted:

Crew is Satan's preferred sport, I have no idea why I did it for years, what was I thinking.

On the other hand, if your form is good, it'll work every major muscle group. If you're not totally familiar, I highly recommend watching a few videos to make sure you get the order of operations and posture right. If you don't do it correctly, it's no better than crunches and running.

Called it "crew." Trap sprung.

Rowing is awesome though and an erg is a great purchase even though you just basically purchased a torture instrument.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Aug 10, 2016

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

dreesemonkey posted:

I bought my son an ATV because I'm a cool dad.

Congrats on buying a Suzuki instead of some Chinese piece of poo poo

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

Why the gently caress would you want fat in your jerky? That's literally the least desirable thing to have in jerky. The fat is what goes bad and ruins jerky!

You're fat and a jerky. Haha.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Overall you did well. Wish I had the money to thrown down on stocking my bar like that. Next time you're out I recommend grabbing some absinthe (not Pernod, real absinthe) and some Green Chartreuse if you can find it. Integral components in some of my favorite drinks (Corpse Revivers, Last Words, Sazeracs).

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

PCOS Bill posted:

Why the gently caress would you want fat in your jerky? That's literally the least desirable thing to have in jerky. The fat is what goes bad and ruins jerky!

The stopped clock is right.

Davealicious
May 8, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

This hilariously wrong mint julep recipe inspired me to get around to stocking a liquor cabinet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA

Plus mid-shelf (I guess?) bottles of various liquors. Tell me how I hosed up and which brands I should get next time. The most glaring omission right now is probably rum. Liquor store was closing and I didn't have time to mull it over.

If you can find Bayou Rum where you are, try it. Made here in Louisiana from the sugar cane we grow here. Sooo good!

https://www.bayourum.com

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Nice. I went to a cocktail party a few weeks ago and it was amazing, I'm dying to start my own collection but just can't afford it right now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

PCOS Bill posted:

Have you never eaten prime rib or ground beef? There's no way you're actually this stupid, so you have to just be a lovely, obvious troll. No wonder so many people block you.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

If you're using jerky for hiking or biking, than you want some fat for quick calories.

They made a portable tape to mp3 converter that transfers directly to a USB stick so you don't have to dick around with a laptop, and audio software.

Gonna upload long forgotten local bands demos on Youtube

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

ChocNitty posted:

If you're using jerky for hiking or biking, than you want some fat for quick calories.

That's not how fat digestion works.

Anyway, the point is that jerky is a food preservation technique, and keeping the fat in it works against preservation. Even if goons eating greasy handfuls of it never need to worry about it going bad.

Content:

I needed a new microwave:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That cassette converter is loving cool.
That microwave too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Some hard fuckin weights.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

bongwizzard posted:

Some hard fuckin weights.

Is "weight" some kind of slang for "butt plug"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have some rare bones set aside for setting into an engagement ring in case anyone ever loves me (they wont)

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Currently awaiting: 1 lb of Jordan almonds, a thing of stroopwafels, Fangs for the Mammaries edited by Esther Friedman, and a gaming mouse with six buttons and seven colors for 8.99.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

poop dood posted:

Overall you did well. Wish I had the money to thrown down on stocking my bar like that. Next time you're out I recommend grabbing some absinthe (not Pernod, real absinthe) and some Green Chartreuse if you can find it. Integral components in some of my favorite drinks (Corpse Revivers, Last Words, Sazeracs).

Funny you should mention absinthe and Chartreuse; I had my eye on both, specifically to try Sazeracs and Last Words, respectively. The Corpse Reviver looks like it should be be right up my alley, so I'll definitely be giving that a shot as well. Do you have a go-to absinthe brand? Pernod apparently resumed making actual absinthe, but it doesn't seem any better-reviewed than the other options at the store around the corner from me.

Davealicious posted:

If you can find Bayou Rum where you are, try it. Made here in Louisiana from the sugar cane we grow here. Sooo good!

https://www.bayourum.com

Looks like it's not distributed in South Carolina, and we're one of those dumb states that prohibits individuals from ordering liquor online. I'll keep an eye out in case it starts showing up here, though!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

Is "weight" some kind of slang for "butt plug"

They are way too small for that. At least, not alone, here is what they are for:

Now this goes into the butt.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Is that a custom job? If so, how long did it take to find a professional lapidary willing to work with fossils, and a jeweler who could accommodate such a unique request? I'm not even going to ask what it cost by the end of it.

It took forever to find someone who could work with ammonite and was cool with taking on a similar project back when I got married.

Not "OP", but chances are it's from Etsy. There are dozens and dozens of vendors selling all kinds of wedding bands using fossils and meteorite, etc.

Actually I found the exact same ring

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/266...ef=sr_gallery_2

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Flor de Cana extra dry rum is a real good rum for the price.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Side Effects posted:

Went on a book buying spree recently and decided to actually count how many I bought:

I recall really liking alas, babylon, hopefully it holds up to my memory of it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Toast Museum posted:

Funny you should mention absinthe and Chartreuse; I had my eye on both, specifically to try Sazeracs and Last Words, respectively. The Corpse Reviver looks like it should be be right up my alley, so I'll definitely be giving that a shot as well. Do you have a go-to absinthe brand? Pernod apparently resumed making actual absinthe, but it doesn't seem any better-reviewed than the other options at the store around the corner from me.

Regular ol' Absente works perfectly well, and can be had in smaller bottles. I recommend finding a small spray bottle of the size that would be used for perfume samples and using that to rinse glasses with absinthe for Sazeracs. Also a delightful thing to do with a Negroni if you're up for experimenting.

I meant to mention it earlier but when you do get rum you should definitely get both light and dark. For dark I absolutely second whoever else recommended Flor de Caņa a moment ago; their 12 year is phenomenal, especially for the price. Absolutely delicious in an Old Fashioned -- sub the orange peel with a grapefruit peel and you have one of my all-time favorite drinks.

As far as light rum goes, I am admittedly much less knowledgeable. A bottle of Cruzan can be had for very little, and works just fine in Daiquiris and Planter's Punches (the latter is a great excuse to get into making homemade grenadine.)

And visit the Cocktails Thread over in Something Offal, there are a lot of really knowledgeable people who could probably answer any further questions of yours far more authoritatively than I could.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

bongwizzard posted:

They are way too small for that. At least, not alone, here is what they are for:

Now this goes into the butt.

gonna need a flanged base for it to be safe to fish up there

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Duh, that is why you tie the line on.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And set the hook on the first bite.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Kubler is a fantastic absinthe and it comes in a bigass 1.0L bottle even in the USA. People got wise to how good it is and it's like $60 - $70 a bottle now, though.

Absinthe is liquid black licorice though, so I don't really think of it as a bar staple since half the world will go AUGHHH if you put it in their cocktail.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I bought this and for personal reasons I won't post myself using it but it really works!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That's a sex toy, right?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
no way it's a beauty face expander, just like it says

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Elsa posted:

no way it's a beauty face expander, just like it says

It will make your face perfect. Perfect in every way.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

big mean giraffe posted:

Tickets to this:

Here:

Best concert venue I've been to before.

That's pretty awesome. My fiance and I are still trying to figure out where we're going for our honeymoon next month, if Colarado works out we're definitely going to see Prophets of Rage there.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just picked up Darth Vaders turntable.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

AFewBricksShy posted:

It will make your face perfect. Perfect in every way.

hahaa

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

A book!
https://i.imgur.com/hA46PYE.jpg
This is apparently a "fictional" story about the coke trade in a town near where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

My ladyfriend got me a pretty amazing gift. She is the best.

Takayuki Shibata "Kotetsu" Ko-Bunka. This is the sharpest, thinnest Goddamn knife I have ever used in my life. It scares me a little because I could probably take a fingertip off and hardly notice if I was being careless, but it's just unreal how good it feels in the hand. Not pictured: I got to meet Shibata-san and he signed the knife box! :swoon: :chef:

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Aug 11, 2016