Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The development of Mitarai and the Imposter was unexpected. Interesting that they're working together like they are. Mitarai is trying to create an anime that will fill everyone who watches it with hope? I'm sure this will come up again at some point.

What's more curious to me is that the Imposter was posing as Byakuya both before meeting Mitarai, and after becoming a Despair. With Mitarai, he's essentially assuming his whole life, but with Byakuya, it's not like he had permission to pose as Byakuya, right? That's a bit weird, not to mention he said to Mitarai at the beginning that he wouldn't be able to pose as Byakuya for much longer. Did he know Byakuya was coming to the school a year later? Is there some connection between him and Byakuya that has yet to be explained?

We got some questions answered about him, but they only opened up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.nbcuni.co.jp/anime/danganronpa3/index.html

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually enjoyed that the Impostor got some proper screen time this episode. That character's always been an anomaly and it's nice to see them doing literally anything with him considering he could just as easily be forgotten by the audience. Also Junko was hilarious, this is another good ep. Also, this episode is just confirming to me more and more something is up with Yukizome.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

I know they are going to put Izuru where Hajime was but it would be much better if it was just Junko dressed as Hajime because I guess she's going to be the main character now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do feel like the Future arc is a bit weaker right now - there are a lot of tiny points that people savvy to the series could easily pick up (despite them reeling in some very strong cliffhangers).

-The fact that we haven't had Kirigiri check out Gozu's body pretty much implies there's going to be some mess-up with that. Her gang has barely done anything since the game started.
-There's obviously more to Yukizome than at first glance, and given that Despair's running concurrently with it I expect we'll see her fall to Despair at the same time or shortly after her class. Also considering that she'd be one of the few close enough to Kyosuke to either know all about the building's maintenance or slowly corrupt him to some twisted form of Hope. Kirigiri's apparently inspected her body already though, so she's either really dead or there's a decoy.
-Ruruka is still a terrible person. And it seems really obvious that Yoi's forbidden from eating.

Any speculation on Kirigiri's Forbidden Action yet? I'm starting to get the sense it has something to do with Naegi himself. She's obviously one of the most dangerous characters so they'd probably want to inconvenience her the most. I did notice her putting her ear to the wall or something like that in Ep 1, don't think we've seen any fallout from that yet.

I'm also taking it that Asahina's a near guaranteed survivor at this point.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 11, 2016

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So is there somewhere that said Yukizome fell into despair? I think I missed it if they did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheManSeries posted:

So is there somewhere that said Yukizome fell into despair? I think I missed it if they did.

Nowhere, but given her very early death and her prominent role in the Despair arc, I think there's definitely more to her than to be seen.

I find this series is rarely very good at making ambiguous characters - other than wheelchair girl and anime guy everyone seems firmly on the good/bad side. Kuzuryu was the best character development they've ever done.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

okay

I hate junko

the pacing feels real loving strange now

the imposter is a real drat cool dude

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fat Togami shows up at the foot of ur bed one night and asks if he can take your identity because "trust me I looked you up"

what do you do

E: Back when Oren was doing DR2 I cracked when it slowed to a stop and ended up going through a playlist I found and my jank barely functioning understanding of Japanese. I haaated where it went but wrote it off because "I barely understood anything maybe it plays out better in English."

Then I played it in English and that didn't really change. I just didn't like the sci-fi elements that were suddenly getting heaped on like Robo-Nidai and the rewriting of personalities and memory fuckery. It just seemed kinda bad and stupid.

Dunno why but lately revisiting it I'm having a better time just accepting it, like there were very slight hints of it at the very end of DR1.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 11, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stick out my hand in friendship

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also I wanna know what's up with Chisa's movie theater. I kinda figured it was just a "thing" for dead characters but after this recent episode I'm not entirely sure.

Like seriously she wigs the hell out here.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

She'll be the monokuma maid

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I wanna know what's up with Chisa's movie theater. I kinda figured it was just a "thing" for dead characters but after this recent episode I'm not entirely sure.

Like seriously she wigs the hell out here.

I'm wondering about that myself. I wonder if the big twist is going to be that the Future arc's killing game is fake (explaining the scene with Chisa watching her own death).

Mitarai is behind the whole thing, using his skills as the Ultimate Animator to animate a fake killing game in order to lure in the remaining forces of despair(literally saving the world with anime). By "hacking" into the game with Miaya, Monaca took the bait.

Maybe that's why all the blood is red instead of pink in the Future arc. At first it seems like a stylistic choice to reflect the darker mood of the arc, but it actually ends up being a plot point. It would be a major mind screw if Hagakure ends up being injured and it turns out his blood is still pink (because he's not in the game).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk what you're questioning there other than them fast-forwarding time to jump into the future and Yukizome being a loving nut reciting cliched lines from movies she's seen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
SHSL Animator made the original Danganronpa anime, which didn't do well. As a result, he gets stressed out and tries to make a proper anime full of hope, switching places with Twogami. This gives him time to make the two Danganronpa 3 animes.

I honestly half-expect this to be partially true in some way.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Any speculation on Kirigiri's Forbidden Action yet? I'm starting to get the sense it has something to do with Naegi himself.

"Communicating with Makoto Naegi."

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

I wonder if Nagito's current whereabouts have any relevance? Seems odd that Hope's Peak couldn't contact him.

Chisa's little "film" at the start of the episode makes me wonder if she also thinks non-talented people are less than those with talents; and she's just more subtle than others about it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend made a silly point:
When Junko is narrating outside hopes peak she mentions that "two ultimate despairs are coming in" and it frames her and Naegi.

In the first game when he becomes Ultimate Hope his profile card says Ultimate Despair. People thought it was a bug but maybe :tinfoil:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Silly and a bit long speculation time, it's kinda out there but this is DR so it's a thing it can be possible!

So after this episode I think this episode itself has a great connection to the Future side in how Mitarai thinks anime can save people's life. So in the last Future episode Tengan talks about a project, Munakata mentions the Kamukura project but it's not that one, but the way Tengan talked about it makes me thing it's a project also related to hope so my theory is that the killing game is the project, a project for someone to be everyone hope.
And that someone is Naegi, who Tengan said is worthy of the title of Ultimate Hope.

This killing game is sort of staged to make Naegi give even more hope to the world and the people behind it are Tengan and Mitarai with Chisa, the real Miaya and Gozu as accomplices.

The way it works is that Tengan told Mitarai to plan a plot of killing game that would sorta be like a anime plot to make the audience get behind Naegi in this despair situation and to help in that plot Future Fondation got a hold of the second Junko A.I that Kamukura had and Miaya programmed that to follow specific instructions(that's also why Monokuma talks less in this because he has less control). Gozu is in the plan because he's Tengan's bodyguard and from his talk with Naegi he also believe's in him as someone who can be everyone's hope and that's also why he saves him from Munakata and the rest that tried to kill Naegi in episode 2.
Chisa is also in on the plan because probably was convinced that with the project Munakata would grow and his hope would be able to work with Naegi's hope(like she talked about in episode 1)
Munakata says that a game like this could only be planned by someone who knew where the facility was and only him and Munakata knew where that was, also people have been speculating that the place where they are is a copy of the original facility under the sea because the explosions that attacked Hagakure where felt in the facility and in Seiko's death scene you can see water coming out of the walls.

But as all DR projects I think something went wrong: first the real Maiya was replaced by a robot version controlled by Monaca, second is the fact that Mitarai got involved because from the way Tengan reacted to him in the first episode he wasn't expecting Mitarai to be there(Mitarai is probably there because he wants to see in person why Naegi is the one chosen to be everyone's hope and also why he always compares himself to Naegi), and finaly third is the fact that Munakata kills Tengan, the way the scene played out I don't think Tengan was expecting that.

There are some thing I still don't know like if the bodies are real or just fake( in DR Killer Killer Future Fondation has a ex-SHSL Make-up Artist who can create real-like fake bodies so that's a thing), how the FF got the second Junko A.I since Izuru had it and if more people are involved in this but yeah.

TDLR: Tengan and Mitarai made a real-life anime to make Naegi the world's hope but poo poo starts to go wrong.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When Junko is narrating outside hopes peak she mentions that "two ultimate despairs are coming in" and it frames her and Naegi.

In the first game when he becomes Ultimate Hope his profile card says Ultimate Despair. People thought it was a bug but maybe :tinfoil:

That's in reference to Junko and Mukuro, the Despair Sisters, though. That was in the first game with crystal clearness.

I was a bit annoyed that Chisa made a big deal out of "DESPAIR-INDUCING RESERVE COURSE, WORST SIX MONTHS EVER" and then it was skipped over with a "oh lots happened but we won't be covering it, teheh have some more Sakakura-hate-fuel". Using the "systematic putting down of 'unworthy' kids creates despair and ruins everything you prejudiced entitled shits" angle wouldn't surprise me in the least, even less so with the views on Talent = Identity that have been expressed in interviews, so having the Reserve Course skipped entirely seems a bit...off.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I am becoming increasingly suspicious that this is a ZE3 anime.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CryingAthena posted:

That's in reference to Junko and Mukuro, the Despair Sisters, though. That was in the first game with crystal clearness.

I was a bit annoyed that Chisa made a big deal out of "DESPAIR-INDUCING RESERVE COURSE, WORST SIX MONTHS EVER" and then it was skipped over with a "oh lots happened but we won't be covering it, teheh have some more Sakakura-hate-fuel". Using the "systematic putting down of 'unworthy' kids creates despair and ruins everything you prejudiced entitled shits" angle wouldn't surprise me in the least, even less so with the views on Talent = Identity that have been expressed in interviews, so having the Reserve Course skipped entirely seems a bit...off.

The way that it's framed is pretty suspicious, but as is always with the case, it might just be mindgames on the staff's part

And when you put it that way, it could be that the treatment of the reserve classes and the affect it's had on them is what makes Yukizome find it so unpleasant. Imagine an entire classroom full of Satous. Brrrrr. It also makes what happens to them later seem more feasible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I do feel like the Future arc is a bit weaker right now - there are a lot of tiny points that people savvy to the series could easily pick up (despite them reeling in some very strong cliffhangers).

-The fact that we haven't had Kirigiri check out Gozu's body pretty much implies there's going to be some mess-up with that. Her gang has barely done anything since the game started.
-There's obviously more to Yukizome than at first glance, and given that Despair's running concurrently with it I expect we'll see her fall to Despair at the same time or shortly after her class. Also considering that she'd be one of the few close enough to Kyosuke to either know all about the building's maintenance or slowly corrupt him to some twisted form of Hope. Kirigiri's apparently inspected her body already though, so she's either really dead or there's a decoy.
-Ruruka is still a terrible person. And it seems really obvious that Yoi's forbidden from eating.

Any speculation on Kirigiri's Forbidden Action yet? I'm starting to get the sense it has something to do with Naegi himself. She's obviously one of the most dangerous characters so they'd probably want to inconvenience her the most. I did notice her putting her ear to the wall or something like that in Ep 1, don't think we've seen any fallout from that yet.

I'm also taking it that Asahina's a near guaranteed survivor at this point.

she doesn't know where his body is because she hasn't spoken with anyone who knows.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like that shot, actually. It both has Naegi on the "white" side in the Monokuma colors and he's blurred out and in the background because he's just Some Dude.

EDIT: I actually like DR2 quite a bit, but yeah DR1 is definitely the stronger of the two.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

what a charming young lady

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Junko being obviously crazy is kinda lame. Though, it makes sense why all the pictures in the first game didn't have her face; they probably did it on purpose because no one likes her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It was done ironically. Her talent is basically looking good and she doesn't have a single class photo where she looks good.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Junko being obviously crazy is kinda lame. Though, it makes sense why all the pictures in the first game didn't have her face; they probably did it on purpose because no one likes her.

I think she tones in down somewhat in public even if just to manipulate people, but yeah when she lets it go she goes all-out batshit. That's what made her a good villain, she was both completely insane and really, really intense. Naegi actually managing to rattle her is a huge accomplishment, but even that didn't last long.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

After this, I think that Mitarai is the traitor, or at least who Tengan thought was the traitor. Each episode of future and despair hints at something in the next episode to air. We got Tengan talking about who he thinks is the traitor in Future, and then in Despair, we got the story behind a character that shows up in Future. Also, he has close ties to a member of the remnants of despair, so that could be the reason he is the traitor.

Either that, or he is the next to die.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BlazeEmblem posted:

After this, I think that Mitarai is the traitor, or at least who Tengan thought was the traitor. Each episode of future and despair hints at something in the next episode to air. We got Tengan talking about who he thinks is the traitor in Future, and then in Despair, we got the story behind a character that shows up in Future. Also, he has close ties to a member of the remnants of despair, so that could be the reason he is the traitor.

Either that, or he is the next to die.

It's still a bit early to reveal the traitor I think, so yeah that dude's gonna die hard.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

CryingAthena posted:

Yeah, but as people said, the way it frames her and Naegi has to be 100% on purpose.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wonder if she'll become distrustful of Yoi at some point because of her "if you don't eat my candies, you're a terrible person" way of thinking.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It was done ironically. Her talent is basically looking good and she doesn't have a single class photo where she looks good.

Gyaru culture isn't really about looking good, despite the fact that a large part of it revolves around the fashion. It's a real shame there's not a lot of knowledge about it in the west, because making Junko one has some meaning behind it.

In any case, Junko's real hidden superpower is supernatural-level analytical and manipulative powers (which also works into the Gyaru thing, I guess). I'm pretty sure she can fake being whatever she wants when not in trusted company.

lets hang out posted:

She'll be the monokuma maid

Oh god. I can actually see that happening. We did get a Zero cameo this week.

Voice actor chat - they got Akira Ishida to do the scenes where the imposter is Togami (when he's Mitarai it's the same actor as the real one). Megumi Toyoguchi is really impressive doing very different voices for Junko and Mukuro.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

Gyaru culture isn't really about looking good, despite the fact that a large part of revolves around the fashion. It's a real shame there's not a lot of knowledge about it in the west, because making Junko one has some meaning behind it.

Woops. Guess I mis-read the intention there.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

If you want to get some basic idea do a Google image search for "gyaru". That's what Junko's supposed to be, and Fashionista or "Fashion Dive", as Funimation is translating it, doesn't really get the idea across. It's not like there's anything in English that can, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, Junko's talent isn't really being a really amazing fashion model, but being able to embody the gyaru 'culture' the best out of every highschooler?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What's weird with Junko though is that to me she basically just looks like the popular girl anyone might see in high school. She doesn't resemble most of the pictures you see if you image search gyaru. She's not tanned and her makeup doesn't look particularly fancier than what you'd see in an American high school. There must be some cultural aspect I'm not understanding because unless the fact that she has blond hair (maybe a wig or dyed) and makeup and is also Japanese IS the big deal when it comes to being a gyaru.

Basically, I've never seen Junko as what she's supposed to be because in my opinion she has never really looked the part of what she's supposed to embody. She has always just looked like another high school student, which I think is why Fashionista worked well enough for my understanding in the translation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also she is a model and shows up in magazines and such.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think Kizakura is really suspicious. Like he was from the start since he was ostensibly the guy who scouted Junko but it's actually Mukuro who's bugging me now. She wasn't aware that she'd been both scouted and accepted (you'd think an interview would be part of that process) and I don't think she even meets the basic criteria for admittance unless they're considering being in a mercenary group "high school enrollment". Junko must have handled some of it but I think their relationship is supposed to be a secret so wouldn't that look kind of weird to anyone who was paying attention? Or maybe Papa Kirigiri just waved all that since she's such a valuable talent.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also she is a model and shows up in magazines and such.

She appears in Gyaru magazines, not general fashion ones.

Here's the series of articles I linked to when the subject came up in the first DR thread. It's an excellent introduction to the subculture and I think explains why making Junko one is meaningful.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I dunno I really enjoyed ep. 5, especially the interplay between Junko and Mukuro.

The last scene made me sad, though. Hinata goes through with the Kamukura project not just because of Sakakura, but he wants to be proud of himself around Nanami :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

After watching this episode, my personal theory is that Junko sabotages Mitarai's anime to make it "despair-filled", making essentially a memetic agent of despair. That would explain how despair became so widespread throughout the world.

• Locked thread