Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Competitive was fun while in even matches from 54 where I placed up to 60. Then I was put into game after game where my team was just completely outplayed, not even close. I'm back to 54 finally, I'm excited to see what kind of games I get put in now that matchmaking has hosed me for 2+ weeks. I think in my fall from rank 60 glory I won 2 or 3 games. I guess they designed a good system to make sure people end up where they begin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

What's the best characters to carry with? I usually try with d. VA and Lucio or mercy but have so so results, trying to grind up at the end of the season after tanking my rating playing with irl friends and it's taking a while because some teams seem impossible to carry, even at 46

Zarya- Straight up beast at carrying
D.Va- Does kind of the same as Zarya with more mobility and less consistency
Zenyatta- You can debuff the poo poo out of priority targets and they die real fast

DO NOT PLAY THESE UNLESS YOU'RE REALLY loving GOOD AT THEM
Genji
McCree

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

JackDarko posted:

If you think you're a good support player watch Greggo play support when he streams. He's not passive, he's calling out to his team the whole time. He's also highly mobile and makes himself elusive while still being dangerous. If your team isn't listening to you or on mics at all to hear your call outs probably don't play support.

I spent an entire round as Zenyatta last night without realizing I was in group chat while the rest of my team was in team chat. I was calling out flankers and enemy deaths, telling people when to use ults, giving positioning instructions. It was awesome when the next round started and I realized my mistake.

At least we won anyway. :)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I got managed to get to rank 70 duo queuing with a friend with him mostly playing Zarya and me Zenyatta so at least those work for carrying.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I need a constructive critique.

https://www.twitch.tv/sa_deadspin

There are at least 6-7 solo and duo comp matches in the latest broadcast. My first run as offensive bastion is in there too.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i know it's subjective but i play solo queue 90-95% of the time and i feel like the matchmaking/ranking punishes me very severely for losing when i group with people 15 levels higher than me, and is much less severe when i solo queue

its me, im the potato

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I don't get the report for Torbjörn thing. Did they screw his balancing in the patch or something?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

There are at least 6-7 solo and duo comp matches in the latest broadcast. My first run as offensive bastion is in there too.

In the first 20 minutes you're playing a bunch of classes that I'm terrible with, so I can't really comment on that. But at about 19:20 your whole team (and you) are trickling into King's Row A to save a point that you've already lost, and even burn TWO support ults to try to save it. That's not necessarily your fault, but if the offense wins that first push and has 4+ people on the point and you're all coming back from spawn, it's time to fall back and setup your defense for the next checkpoint. And you especially shouldn't be burning ults in a desperate attempt to save it. What ended up happening is your entire team was then in a staggered spawn for the next point, and you were down 2 support ults for no reason. The other team wasn't good enough to capitalize, but that's the sort of thing that will get you steamrolled by good players.

At the 24:00 mark in that same defense, your team pushes way too far forward for no reason. The Rein is practically in the tunnel. Setting up that far forward just shortens the attackers' trip back from spawn without giving you any defensive advantage. That alone almost cost you the point.

e: I just watched your offense on that match. Ouch. Don't waste Roadhog's hook on Rein's shield. After you failed to kill Tracer, you came out of the point and had Junkrat 1 shot from death, but instead of finishing the kill you changed focus to S76 and they both ended up surviving. Your team was just kind of a mess, even when you guys would get 2 picks, everyone just sort of stood around doing nothing; when you get a numbers advantage tell people and push in. You charged into S76's ult instead of just backing into cover. With 30 seconds left, you switched off to Torbjorn for the final push for some reason, didn't stay with your team, and immediately died (twice). That whole round wasn't your fault, but your team was basically running around like a chicken with its head cut off. :(

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 11, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I just started this game. I've been playing as Mercy which has been fun though surprisingly uncomplicated. Left mouse button to make people not die and right mouse button on the turret robot to make everyone else die?

Also I've been looking at this reaper guy and he seems to have one button to teleport to your team and then another button to kill everyone?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Randler posted:

I don't get the report for Torbjörn thing. Did they screw his balancing in the patch or something?

Aside from the projectile hitbox thing which affected all projectile using characters Torb has remained untouched since launch. Torb is, like most of the defense heroes, considered by many aspirational high-level players to be Not Very Good, and as a result people in comp get really loving pissy whenever someone picks a "suboptimal" hero, especially when you pick defense heroes on the attack.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

Also I've been looking at this reaper guy and he seems to have one button to teleport to your team and then another button to kill everyone?
He also has a button to not die.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Aside from the projectile hitbox thing which affected all projectile using characters Torb has remained untouched since launch. Torb is, like most of the defense heroes, considered by many aspirational high-level players to be Not Very Good, and as a result people in comp get really loving pissy whenever someone picks a "suboptimal" hero, especially when you pick defense heroes on the attack.

Actually its because 80% of the time if they pick Bastion/Torb/Widow/Hanzo they'll do basically nothing for the whole match and blame the rest of the team for not covering them/etc.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Torb is really bad(or extremely situational) whether it's on defense or offense. He wastes a spot on the team that could go to a more useful class.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

KoB posted:

Actually its because 80% of the time if they pick Bastion/Torb/Widow/Hanzo they'll do basically nothing for the whole match and blame the rest of the team for not covering them/etc.

Friendo, I've played with plenty of people who accomplished nothing and while it's fun to collectively poo poo on the Hanzos of the world the sad truth of the matter is that most of the time these people wouldn't be accomplishing much more if they had someone standing over them with a cattle-prod forcing them into the ideal 2-2-2 comp.

There is a legitimate difference in what will fly at the 65-and-under levels of play and what will fly at the higher levels of play. People in the 50s and below having an aneurysm because someone on their team picked Torb or Bastion actually aren't in a position to be sighing and rolling their eyes about how the other people on their team are the anchor dragging them down. I've seen people do solid work with these heroes and people who pick Reaper or McCree and get absolutely pasted because it turns out there's more to the game at the level most people play at than simply picking the approved MLG meta comp.

edit; I mean I don't have any compelling reason to believe Verranicus is lying when he talks about solo queuing his way into the 60s with offensive Torb. He even admits that he could probably take it further if he switched to someone else but he doesn't sound like a shitter tanking everyone's games, and so if that's the case then I agree that the people reporting him sound like a bunch of whiny assholes.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Speaking as someone who is level 6. How can Bastion be bad? That turret seems to murder everything.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Speaking as someone who is level 6. How can Bastion be bad? That turret seems to murder everything.

His immobility for max dps gets him killed easily by his counters. If you have someone who can nuke down the rein shield protecting him quickly than he's pretty much boned. Or if a genji shows up and reflects his bullet stream back at him. his self heal is pretty lousy compared to others self heals.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Zephyrine posted:

Bastion's effectively a one-trick pony. Granted, before you figure out that trick, it is *very* effective He mostly suffers from the fact that a good chunk of the cast counters him fairly easily. S76 can poke-helix him, Pharah can rocket him, Junkrat can spam him, Tracer can blink behind him and one-shot him by shooting his glowybox, the list goes on. All the sniper heroes just paste him, too. Anyone picking Bastion at my current rank tends to die instantly in the first teamfight and just repeat the process over and over if they don't switch.

It's hard to be a transforming turret at the mid-to-high levels of play right now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zephyrine posted:

At beginner levels of play Bastion will murder everything because the people you're playing against have terrible situational awareness, terrible teamwork, and a terrible grasp of their chosen heroes' capabilities. People will continue to run through a chokepoint meatgrinder trickling in to die in ones and twos and never group up, get organized, and deliver effective focus-fire. Consequently low level Bastions can sit in one spot the entire game, maybe with a Mercy pocketing them or a Reinhardt shielding them, and become an impenetrable obstacle that shuts down the enemy team.

Once you move into the just-above-potato leagues people start figuring out how to deal with a 300 hitpoint stationary object, and even covering him with shields or pocket healers won't really make a bunch of difference. And then once Bastion is down it becomes easier to turn a 6v5 into a 6v4 and so on and things snowball from there.

You can still get good work out of Bastions outside of the literal newbie league, it just requires the person playing Bastion to be a lot more conscientious about changing position to hit people from unexpected angles, being on the move to avoid being locked down, and generally treating him more like an opportunistic sniper than a stationary emplacement where you never have to move the entire match.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Kai Tave posted:

edit; I mean I don't have any compelling reason to believe Verranicus is lying when he talks about solo queuing his way into the 60s with offensive Torb. He even admits that he could probably take it further if he switched to someone else but he doesn't sound like a shitter tanking everyone's games, and so if that's the case then I agree that the people reporting him sound like a bunch of whiny assholes.

dude's getting carried.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Zephyrine posted:

Genji can the bullets back to Bastion, Long range characters can bombard him, while closer ones distract him or other way around.
Or Ana can just sleep dart him. There's lot of ways to deal with him.

He can't escape while in turret form and if he's walking he is a bad Soldier 76.

Now Bastion with a dedicated Mercy and Reinhardt needs more work to open, but they've committed 3 guys for the strategy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LordZoric posted:

Bastion's effectively a one-trick pony. Granted, before you figure out that trick, it is *very* effective He mostly suffers from the fact that a good chunk of the cast counters him fairly easily. S76 can poke-helix him, Pharah can rocket him, Junkrat can spam him, Tracer can blink behind him and one-shot him by shooting his glowybox, the list goes on. All the sniper heroes just paste him, too. Anyone picking Bastion at my current rank tends to die instantly in the first teamfight and just repeat the process over and over if they don't switch.

It's hard to be a transforming turret at the mid-to-high levels of play right now.

Then you get to around rank 70 and you occasionally start seeing some really effective Bastions again.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

mcvey posted:

Torb is really bad(or extremely situational) whether it's on defense or offense. He wastes a spot on the team that could go to a more useful class.

Torb is actually pretty good provided you don't sit glued to your turret. You should be just behind your Reinhardt dumping shots into people. You're like a really short more tanky reaper, and you can absolutely crush the poo poo out of tanks especially with the prevalence of discord. Your biggest weakness is that your headshot hitbox is like 50% of your model

mcvey posted:

dude's getting carried.

I actually wound up in a game against this dude he's loving atrocious and basically fed my team free ult nonstop

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Bolow posted:

Torb is actually pretty good provided you don't sit glued to your turret. You should be just behind your Reinhardt dumping shots into people. You're like a really short more tanky reaper, and you can absolutely crush the poo poo out of tanks especially with the prevalence of discord. Your biggest weakness is that your headshot hitbox is like 50% of your model

You're still better off switching to a more useful class unless you're playing one of the few points that actually benefit from a turret imo. There's a reason the meta is what it is and Torb just doesn't fit.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

mcvey posted:

You're still better off switching to a more useful class unless you're playing one of the few points that actually benefit from a turret imo. There's a reason the meta is what it is and Torb just doesn't fit.

They might as well rename Torbjorn "Numbani A" at this point.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's the thing about Torb, he's bad (or at the most mediocre) at what he's suppose to be good at. Area denial doesn't work very well when your turret dies to any class without you and almost every class can out damage your attempts to repair. You barely can out repair a level 1 being attacked by a Lucio (which happens a ton). Not only that but flankers like tracer/genji can just blink away/deflect to safety. It doesn't take any teamwork to deal with a turret.

Torb himself has an excellent weapon so there's that. Well it was excellent until Dva was buffed.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You need to treat the turret as a disposable asset, and it needs to be in a position where the enemy has to choose to either engage it or your team while exposing themselves to the other. Numbani A is really good for doing that, Hanamura A is pretty decent as well. Hollywood A maybe?

Most maps/points don't allow for that at all so at best you're just a lovely reaper who shits armor randomly

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hes Reaper with a long range snipe and usually a bit more health, I dont really think hes bad but I definitely wont shed tears if they buff him anyway.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bolow posted:

You need to treat the turret as a disposable asset, and it needs to be in a position where the enemy has to choose to either engage it or your team while exposing themselves to the other. Numbani A is really good for doing that, Hanamura A is pretty decent as well. Hollywood A maybe?

Most maps/points don't allow for that at all so at best you're just a lovely reaper who shits armor randomly

Yeah the turret is disposable (in that you will not out repair pretty much anything) but it also takes forever to setup so it's bad. Reaper can't effectively snipe/spam corners. I'd like to see Torbs turret to either be easier to setup, or to become an actual threat . Symmetra turrets have the same problems. (even worse)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 11, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

When you played Zen, you were really slow with your discord/harmony orbs. They're basically instantaneous now, so you should pretty much always discord first then fire, no matter who you're firing at. If you see the red cross icon on a teammate, stop firing and toss them a harmony.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

First game a D.Va. Lost the robot instantly and then did an 11 killstreak with the pistol.

Other than that D.Va is dangerously fun.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

First game a D.Va. Lost the robot instantly and then did an 11 killstreak with the pistol.

Other than that D.Va is dangerously fun.
D.Va is really flexible/mobile, and fun to play. People also consistently underestimate her damage output with the blaster, and if you're good with it it's very easy to charge up another mech.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

He isn't very mobile, so once you have map knowledge and good grasp of character abilities, he tends to get outmaneuvered unless he's being properly supported by his team.

Duck and Cover posted:

Here's the thing about Torb, he's bad (or at the most mediocre) at what he's suppose to be good at. Area denial doesn't work very well when your turret dies to any class without you and almost every class can out damage your attempts to repair. You barely can out repair a level 1 being attacked by a Lucio (which happens a ton). Not only that but flankers like tracer/genji can just blink away/deflect to safety. It doesn't take any teamwork to deal with a turret.

Torb himself has an excellent weapon so there's that. Well it was excellent until Dva was buffed.

Just shoot the Lucio with your own gun. Either he ignores you and keeps shooting at the turret until he dies, he starts shooting at you and gets burned down by the combination of the turret and you, or he runs away and you've successfully denied the area. If a level 1 turret dies, who cares? Plop down another one. It builds instantly and doesn't cost you anything. Don't bother repairing it unless you've got nothing better to do.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

He isn't very mobile, so once you have map knowledge and good grasp of character abilities, he tends to get outmaneuvered unless he's being properly supported by his team.

Just shoot the Lucio with your own gun. Either he ignores you and keeps shooting at the turret until he dies, he starts shooting at you and gets burned down by the combination of the turret and you, or he runs away and you've successfully denied the area. If a level 1 turret dies, who cares? Plop down another one. It builds instantly and doesn't cost you anything. Don't bother repairing it unless you've got nothing better to do.

You know that Lucio shooting my turret is likely moving, and isn't nearly as fat as you are. The turret cooldown is why you care, as well as the time spent not being able to get a turret setup. Turrets require absolutely no one is firing at them for 5 hammer hits which is a long loving time. (6 seconds? I'm not sure) If I think I can save a turret I will attempt to. I'm also reluctant to change where a turret is because of the risk of being caught setting up the new one. Oh yeah and Torb has a huge hitbox for some reason.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bolow posted:

I actually wound up in a game against this dude he's loving atrocious and basically fed my team free ult nonstop

He basically bumbled his way into discovering how good Molten Core is on offense though.

Like I'm not denying for a second he's terrible at fundamental mechanics like shooting dudes. I saw him lose a 1v1 firefight against Mercy after popping Molten Core, for god's sake. But any time during a point attack he can actually get a cored turret going, it's kind of wildly unfair. It's a lot like rank 50 Genji mains in that he can be dead-rear end useless the entire round but be useful at the moment it matters and claw out a win. It's honestly pretty illustrative of how ults might be overtuned for objective-based gameplay.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 11, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Bastion can be excellent if you stay REALLY mobile, like never stay in turret mode for more than 3 sec and then keep on moving and setting up flanking angles to burn down key targets. His DPS is still the highest (non-ult) in the game in turret mode (maybe fully powered Zarya beats him out), so you can utterly shred some targets if you're quick. The problem all bastions face is poor situational awareness and the slow as gently caress deploy/pack up time for the turret. He's extremely situational, and if you're setting up as a trap in a high spot on defense, that will work to kill maybe two people and then you need to move immediately.

He's far better when played very aggressively as a flanker a la D.Va because no one really expects him to be popping in on a flank, turreting, and then shredding your healer before they even know what the gently caress happened. You will more than likely have a poo poo KDR playing this way, but you will actually be a boon to your team if you surgical strike their carrying people, like Zarya or Mercy.

Tank is used the same way, get around on a side, tank up, and rush them while focusing down the important targets... again, you will probably die doing this, but you will take at least 2-3 people with you, and that's worth it, especially on Attack when your team is trying to push the payload through a chokepoint.

He's really hard to play this way and once the enemy team gets your number or dedicates someone to finding you (aka they send Genji or Tracer after you and you're hosed), the strategy really turns to poo poo, so it's not something you can rely on as a mainstay tactic, but you'd be surprised at how many people don't expect and underestimate the Deep Bastion.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
As someone ranked in the low 40s, putting Bastion on the moving platforms by Volsaka B is a pretty great way to rack up kills.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fuzz posted:

(maybe fully powered Zarya beats him out)
Not even close. 150 vs like 500.

I tried surprising a bastion with full charge once and I died instantly when he turned around after the first second.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I'm having mixed feelings about this game.

in MW2 (the last multiplayer FPS I played) I always had this level and unlocking system urging me on but levels in overwatch do nothing.

Well yes skins are neat but no one else takes notice of what skin you have and outside of dying you barely see your own skin anyway.

Poses, voice lines and spray tags people really don't care about. I'm surprised that's even a thing. Did you ever find yourself going "oh wow that player used an awesome voice line. I wonder where he got that?"

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

I'm having mixed feelings about this game.

in MW2 (the last multiplayer FPS I played) I always had this level and unlocking system urging me on but levels in overwatch do nothing.

Well yes skins are neat but no one else takes notice of what skin you have and outside of dying you barely see your own skin anyway.

Poses, voice lines and spray tags people really don't care about. I'm surprised that's even a thing. Did you ever find yourself going "oh wow that player used an awesome voice line. I wonder where he got that?"

I'm sorry you prefer unlocking a weapon sidegrade instead of running around with a guitar on your back dressed as a mariachi skullman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
gameplay-significant unlocks are the second-worst thing to ever happen to FPS design, after the invention of controllers of course

have you considered making personal improvement as a player your milestone instead