Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Think of trolls as slower cavalry. Yeah they won't stick around in an extended fight but they do powerful damage charging in, then you pull them out and charge them in again. They are small also so they can squeeze in between gaps in the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Someone did say a few days ago to use goblins as a screen for trolls. I thought he was messing with me because I was talking about how terrible orc leadership is and both those units have terrible leadership.

Goblins actually have really good missile deflection, whatever that silver shield grants them.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fangz posted:

Greenskins are tricky against Dwarves but there are stuff you should consider:

- your (non-poisoned) archers are almost completely useless vs most dwarven units. Don't bring them. Bring more infantry instead or use your orc arrer boys as lovely infantry. Don't get into anything that even looks like a ranged duel vs quarrellers, you are just throwing guys away.
- your artillery, meanwhile, are often gonna be better than what they have. Take full advantage. Don't 'march up', instead set up at maximum range to them, and force them to slowly march towards you, steadily peppering their lines with artillery shots.
- their quarrellers are probably the most lethal stuff in their army. Be fully aware of this. Use fast units to trick the AI into turning them towards the flanks/rear so your infantry can charge unimpeded. Get them stuck into melee ASAP. In a victorious battle you want to see their quarrellers be the *first* to die.
- try and progress up the tech tree ASAP. Higher tier units even up the odds substantially. Trolls, big 'uns, leadership upgrades to your general's aura, more artillery, spider riders, night goblin archers, wizards, boar boys.... All of this helps.

Edit: ^^^ That sort of trick is effective though I don't think it's a no-retreat fight in that survivors are all killed.

Eh, Greenskins were simple.
Gobbo archers in front in skirmish mode who focus fire on anything without shields.
Gobbos in a broad line to the front/center to catch fire from quarellers with a lord behind to keep them fighting.
Boyz to the sides and far behind to avoid missile fire.
Stone throwers and doom divers to the back to force dwarfs to advance.
Wolf riders/archers and boars to the flanks.

You basically have a wide arrow shaped formation that becomes a enveloping U shape upon contact, where the center is entirely expendable and you crush the flanks by overwhelming with boyz.
Cavalry should constantly charge and disengage arty and ranged troops preferably with multiple units. AI missile troops are generally in skirmish mode and will try to run away from cavalry giving free charges into non-braced infantry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

50% for gobbos. 30% for orc boys

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

So far it looks like we have:
*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2
*Triskelli
*rockopete
*ZearothK
*Kaza42
*Trujillo
*ZoninSilver
*420 Gank Mid

Oh yeah, I'm banning double healing potions.

Sign me up too.

Have you considered running the tournament 'list' style? Esl has some like this now where you pick a race and submit a premade army list that you play through the entire tournament. This removes a lot of focus on counter picking and has led to way more diverse army selection.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Depending on when the tournament is being held, I may or may not be able to join in.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Someone did say a few days ago to use goblins as a screen for trolls. I thought he was messing with me because I was talking about how terrible orc leadership is and both those units have terrible leadership.

That was me, I feel vindicated.

Trolls own, especially for how early you get them, and goblins are the perflect complement. Trolls do the killing and goblins are their ablative armor.

If their not getting swarmed or taking arrows, Trolls life stays high and they don't get the losing combat debuff so they stick around.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

John Charity Spring posted:

Karl Franz
2-3 heroes
2 greatswords, 4 halberdiers or 4 greatswords, 2 halberdiers
4 heavy cavalry (demigryphs/reiksguard)
3 various artillery pieces
1 handgunner
1-2 crossbowmen
1 steam tank

This army beats basically anything in the campaign in my experience.

Gonna give this a try but I do miss having some sort of vanguard archer unit like Ungor Raiders. Thanks!

What is the steam tank's role? I had a couple but was unimpressed to with them compared to the sheer crazy damage of the other artillery. Also, I can't figure out what to do with the Luminark.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Olive Branch posted:

Depending on when the tournament is being held, I may or may not be able to join in.

Well, we have 14/16 players now so I may start doing it within the next few days.

As for list building, I was going to just let people tailor their faction and list to whatever they felt like during game creation, since that's part of the ranked game style to which I am now accustomed. But being forced to stick with a single race and list would provide an alternate type of challenge I suppose. Do you think all of the factions are able to create all-comers armies like that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have been using Trolls as a backline harasser against Dwarfs, almost like cavalry, and have had a lot of success with that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fnordcircle posted:

Gonna give this a try but I do miss having some sort of vanguard archer unit like Ungor Raiders. Thanks!

What is the steam tank's role? I had a couple but was unimpressed to with them compared to the sheer crazy damage of the other artillery. Also, I can't figure out what to do with the Luminark.
steam tanks aren't really artillery pieces. Their goal is to fire off a few shots, then roll into melee and inflict morale damage by rolling dudes over. They're really hard for standard infantry to deal with.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Steam Tanks can pivot and shoot, so they are good against flyers and flanking cavalry. They do well against things like Vargheists and Blood Knights if left alone for a while to shoot, and then they are decent melee monsters. They are terror causing and unbreakable so you can try to cause a mass rout in the front on the battle line, or head off rear attacks by enemy cavalry by barreling into them. They do a bit of everything.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I've decided I don't know how to fight battles with Orcs..

Trying to do actual combat with orcs against dwarves and I lose half my army with a 75/25% split.

Then autoresolve is like 5% losses..

I mean, I march my guys up, archers first, start peppering, charge my orcs up to meet their warriors, flank from the sides with black orcs and orc boys and pepper their quarrellers with rock lobbers/doom divers but still getting just stomped hard.

Honestly a big part of early game success with Greenskins (for me at least) is just getting more chummy with autoresolve than you normally would.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
I am not good at this game, count me in as a free win in your tournament!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
is agent spam still an issue with the ai? if so, are there any recommended mods to mitigate it?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: gently caress Im slow

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Doctor Schnabel posted:

is agent spam still an issue with the ai? if so, are there any recommended mods to mitigate it?

I use a 'no hostile agent actions' mod and my quality of life has gone way up.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
When can we expect information on the net faction/DLC?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I used to mod them out but turned them back on again after reading more about agent mechanics in this thread. They're not that hard to counter if you're prepared, especially now CA has tweaked them a bit. They're also great for levelling your own agents and unlocking skills earlier.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 12, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You just have to realise that agent actions are a lot cheaper and less risky this time round, so get them and have them do stuff every turn. With the patch debuffs to AI agents you really should be winning the agents game.

Unless you're dwarves.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

rockopete posted:

I used to mod them out but turned them back on again after reading more about agent mechanics in this thread. They're not that hard to counter if you're prepared, especially now CA has tweaked them a bit. They're also great for levelling your own agents and unlocking skills earlier.

Seconding this, it's now an interesting strategic tidbit rather than a hellscape of goblins hiding under every non-LL's bed.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is there a mod that turns off the chaos corruption event that triggers when the warriors show up? I kinda feel like doing a game where I bumblefuck around for 300 turns

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I don't know if there's a mod, but I'm doing exactly that by following some reddit Empire turtling guide. Just keep building up walls and hiring lords that I give the fervent trait and I haven't had a rebellion in a long time despite 2 chaos dealies.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Honestly a big part of early game success with Greenskins (for me at least) is just getting more chummy with autoresolve than you normally would.

Not just you. The Greenskin campaign made me think I totally sucked at this game (still probable) in the early turns until I read this thread.

Autoresolve says I have a massive advantage?

My leader and several undamaged units flee into the distance while my remaining tattered units surround and barely rout the last T1 Dwarf unit. 50%-60% casualties.

Autoresolve says it's an even fight?

Entire army melts in 6 minutes. Thousands dead. 7 Dwarfs suffer mild bruising and one stubs his toe marching.

I don't know what the autoresolve doesn't taken into account, but whatever it is is pretty big.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Avasculous posted:

I don't know what the autoresolve doesn't taken into account, but whatever it is is pretty big.

Logic.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Autoresolve tends to make the AI wonky at times with army comp.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Autoresolve tends to make the AI wonky at times with army comp.

That's not really autoresolve's fault. That comes about if the AI loses its recruitment settlements and is left with one province with the siege engine building.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Avasculous posted:

Not just you. The Greenskin campaign made me think I totally sucked at this game (still probable) in the early turns until I read this thread.

My leader and several undamaged units flee into the distance while my remaining tattered units surround and barely rout the last T1 Dwarf unit. 50%-60% casualties.

Entire army melts in 6 minutes. Thousands dead. 7 Dwarfs suffer mild bruising and one stubs his toe marching.

I mean if you're fighting dwarfs as greenskins and you have a massive numbers advantage you're still going to lose if you don't use it to envelop them completely and make them break

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

autoresolve mostly just runs off numbers and tier of unit, it doesn't really take into account that dwarf tier 1 is way stronger than greenskin tier 1

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fangz posted:

That's not really autoresolve's fault. That comes about if the AI loses its recruitment settlements and is left with one province with the siege engine building.

less fun but makes more sense

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

I don't know if there's a mod, but I'm doing exactly that by following some reddit Empire turtling guide. Just keep building up walls and hiring lords that I give the fervent trait and I haven't had a rebellion in a long time despite 2 chaos dealies.

Yeah I've been doing something like this, but even with the public order boosts the other AI nations don't handle the corruption very well and it's ruining my pretty map

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Avasculous posted:

Bottom line is dwarfs have vastly superior morale and armor, especially at low tech levels. They trade all of their mobility for this advantage. You need to have the right units to counter this, not just superior numbers. Units like archers and standard goblins/orc boyz are super bad at this because they don't have armor-piercing and don't inflict fear. You need heavy cavalry (boar boyz/chariots), artillery, monsters, and/or black orcs to beat a dwarf army of roughly the same size as your own.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

So far it looks like we have:
*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2
*Triskelli
*rockopete
*ZearothK
*Kaza42
*Trujillo
*ZoninSilver
*420 Gank Mid
*Captain Beans
*ClassicFascist

Oh yeah, I'm banning double healing potions.

I've yet to play TWW online but count me in.

The list suggestion sounds like a good idea to me.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm not entirely sure about the lists, but I think we should be building our armies transparently. The whole point is to stage battles that fun to play and fun to watch, so I should tell my opponent that I'm grabbing some gyrocopters, while they explain that they're counter-picking outriders. That way we see more unorthodox battles and interesting strategies.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

I'm not entirely sure about the lists, but I think we should be building our armies transparently. The whole point is to stage battles that fun to play and fun to watch, so I should tell my opponent that I'm grabbing some gyrocopters, while they explain that they're counter-picking outriders. That way we see more unorthodox battles and interesting strategies.

This is easily the worst idea regarding tournament composition I've seen yet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is VH fun with Dwarfs or do you just keep restarting until you get a save where Grimgor doesn't rush you?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Agreed--I also don't really like the single list idea. I like being able to build my army freely.

I do like the "only 1 healing potion" rule, though, and I wouldn't mind anti-spam rules (all siege tank or all gyro armies are as obnoxious as they are effective).

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The rules last time seemed to work pretty well. Everyone posted a list of the 5 factions they'd use in order so that there's no faction counter picking and you couldn't have more than 6 of one unit, max 2 cavalry skirmishers, max 3 heroes including your Lord and maybe a few other restrictions on builds, can't remember exactly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

^

i don't think the rules need to be that complicated. max 3 heroes including your lord. that seems, uh, about right to me. possibly make matches best 2 out of 3 and make it so you can't use the same faction in more than one round of a match? if people are okay playing that many matches. that'd get some faction variety going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trujillo posted:

The rules last time seemed to work pretty well. Everyone posted a list of the 5 factions they'd use in order so that there's no faction counter picking and you couldn't have more than 6 of one unit, max 2 cavalry skirmishers, max 3 heroes including your Lord and maybe a few other restrictions on builds, can't remember exactly.

Not really any reason to limit cavalry skirmishers beyond the general limit--they aren't exactly OP in multiplayer (and are in line for a buff, actually).

• Locked thread