Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gérard Neveu added, "The WEC has become a bit stale and we saw the potential during the hail storm at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring. Naturally it was a no brainer to add a more unpredictable force of nature to the track. So we suggested to Manor that Pastor would be a great addition to WEC."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The best part about it is that Manor are about to make a choice between Are Pastor and Antonio Pizzonia, oh manor :allears:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Might be of interest to a couple of people here, I just saw Motorsport Manager advertised on Steam and it looks pretty fun if you're into that kind of thing. Not out til September sadly but the best part is it has no official licensing so expect to see "Miko Josberg" the german driver for the Percedes team. And yes I will be renaming absolutely everyone to their WorstThread names. And adding Maldonado back in.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 11, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

NtotheTC posted:

Might be of interest to a couple of people here, I just saw Motorsport Manager advertised on Steam and it looks pretty fun if you're into that kind of thing. Not out til September sadly but the best part is it has no official licensing so expect to see "Miko Josberg" the german driver for the Percedes team. And yes I will be renaming absolutely everyone to their WorstThread names. And adding Maldonado back in.

The game's 30% off if you pre-order on gamesplanet.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

NtotheTC posted:

This is extremely my thing, thanks for posting it otherwise I would have never come across it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

NtotheTC posted:

Ah, memories, you've just reminded me of Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, we had Nigel Mainsail, T Hairy Bootson and Ricaroo Pastry.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Already learned one item of BS in the game: only one driver can crash out/fail to finish in a race.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

It's been available on mobile forever. It's not a very deep simulation or a very difficult game, but it's fun for what it is.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Watch the videos; it's a completely different game to mobile.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

This pay driver situation is annoying to watch. So Rio's funds dried up and they put the boot to him. Not a huge loss to the sport. But it does seem to imply that these teams aren't actually concerned about competing, just existing in F1. What's the point of barely scraping together an operating budget based largely on the depths of the pockets of whatever schmuck you've agreed to let drive the car? How much is Ocon paying Manor, anyway? He seems to have some decent results in feeder series racing, so I hope he'll do a decent job. Not that it will matter much, based on the car he's in.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ocon is a Toto Wolff boytoy so he probably means cheaper engines or something.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

This pay driver situation is annoying to watch. So Rio's funds dried up and they put the boot to him. Not a huge loss to the sport. But it does seem to imply that these teams aren't actually concerned about competing, just existing in F1. What's the point of barely scraping together an operating budget based largely on the depths of the pockets of whatever schmuck you've agreed to let drive the car?

To be fair Ocon isn't a pay driver in the same way a Rio or a Chilton was, its fairly clear he's being given that seat because one or more manufacturers want him but don't have anything available at the moment.

Towards your comment on these teams just existing on F1, I wonder what goes these pay drivers heads when they turn up at these teams. They've been in a situation all their career where their parents write a cheque and you've got the newest and greatest chassis/engine/tire/whatever else plus some guy managing your career and then you're at a Sauber or Manor where they don't even have enough cash for chairs for the pit crew, much less an update to the car, and its now critical that you pull a miracle result with mediocre/subpar equipment when you've never had to do so before.

If I was a lovely small team I'd sign whoever put the biggest number down on paper and then find some guy who is used to fighting it out in the midfield in lovely equipment from the lower categories. Having two pay drivers is a death sentence for getting any sort of good result for your team.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CratSock posted:

This pay driver situation is annoying to watch. So Rio's funds dried up and they put the boot to him. Not a huge loss to the sport. But it does seem to imply that these teams aren't actually concerned about competing, just existing in F1. What's the point of barely scraping together an operating budget based largely on the depths of the pockets of whatever schmuck you've agreed to let drive the car? .

Teams like this have always existed, in one form or another.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

If I was a lovely small team I'd sign whoever put the biggest number down on paper and then find some guy who is used to fighting it out in the midfield in lovely equipment from the lower categories. Having two pay drivers is a death sentence for getting any sort of good result for your team.

For smaller teams it's best to have one paying, and one good driver. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a Pedro Diniz-esque paydriver who can occasionally get good results.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cocks though they are both Mercedes and Red Bull are Doing Good Things for the sport with putting kids from their own young driver programs in B teams. Where the kids are getting it wrong is thinking that a mid field team will hire them when they graduate from that program on pure talent alone. Look at red bull reject drivers like JEV or Kvyat, they should have been spending every second they were not in that car networking and shilling for sponsorship deals but they didn't and now they are hosed.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Cocks though they are both Mercedes and Red Bull are Doing Good Things for the sport with putting kids from their own young driver programs in B teams. Where the kids are getting it wrong is thinking that a mid field team will hire them when they graduate from that program on pure talent alone. Look at red bull reject drivers like JEV or Kvyat, they should have been spending every second they were not in that car networking and shilling for sponsorship deals but they didn't and now they are hosed.

Kvyat is still hoping Papa Putin will pony up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If I was Williams I'd take a gamble on Kyvat in 2017, you'd get him for a song and I think he'd do a bit better without Marko the oval office leering at him while quietly stroking his pet frog.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

geeves posted:

Kvyat is still hoping Papa Putin will pony up.

Fun fact; the Petrov stand got renamed the Kvyat stand when he was promoted to red bull...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Interesting little talk about racecarring from a midfield guy in a midfield motorsport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9iT0F_x2M

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CratSock posted:

This pay driver situation is annoying to watch. So Rio's funds dried up and they put the boot to him. Not a huge loss to the sport. But it does seem to imply that these teams aren't actually concerned about competing, just existing in F1. What's the point of barely scraping together an operating budget based largely on the depths of the pockets of whatever schmuck you've agreed to let drive the car? How much is Ocon paying Manor, anyway? He seems to have some decent results in feeder series racing, so I hope he'll do a decent job. Not that it will matter much, based on the car he's in.

You can't compete if you don't exist.

At that level you live for days like Austria. If you're good, like Giancarlo and Paul were at Minardi in their day, sometimes you spot the diamond. It's worth remembering Fisichella, Trulli, Webber and some bloke called Alonso all got their start in F1 at Minardi and there's no reason Manors two won't be spoken of in the same way in a decade.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
And Rickers drove for HRT

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I shall be buying the Motorsport Manager game. RIP EA Sports Formula 1 Manager

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Figure since there's not much poo poo going on in the F1 world I'd post a little kart update, or should I work on making a thread tonight? I hosed up the handling and can't fix it till Saturday so I figure I should find something to do tonight since its not going to be productive going to the track.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

For smaller teams it's best to have one paying, and one good driver. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a Pedro Diniz-esque paydriver who can occasionally get good results.

I agree with this theory, but...Pedro Diniz? That is not your pay driver role model there.

Haryanto was/is a pay driver, Ocon is a Mercedes junior driver and it's probably a fair bet that Mercedes' motorsports program can plug in the money if need be (or deduct it from their engine expenses or something). This is basically a chance for the two boys to get into equal equipment and prove they're ready for the inevitable Mercedes F1 seat.

another reason for the tail-end charlie teams: they're also a breeding ground for team staff and a way to break into the industry that way.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair Ocon isn't a pay driver in the same way a Rio or a Chilton was, its fairly clear he's being given that seat because one or more manufacturers want him but don't have anything available at the moment.

Towards your comment on these teams just existing on F1, I wonder what goes these pay drivers heads when they turn up at these teams. They've been in a situation all their career where their parents write a cheque and you've got the newest and greatest chassis/engine/tire/whatever else plus some guy managing your career and then you're at a Sauber or Manor where they don't even have enough cash for chairs for the pit crew, much less an update to the car, and its now critical that you pull a miracle result with mediocre/subpar equipment when you've never had to do so before.

True, Ocon isn't strictly a guy paying for his seat, so I'm kind of off base complaining about him, but you get the sentiment in general. I wonder too... is it just enough for some guys to buy their way into F1 to be able to say they competed at the highest level? Who knows.

Dudley posted:

You can't compete if you don't exist.

At that level you live for days like Austria. If you're good, like Giancarlo and Paul were at Minardi in their day, sometimes you spot the diamond. It's worth remembering Fisichella, Trulli, Webber and some bloke called Alonso all got their start in F1 at Minardi and there's no reason Manors two won't be spoken of in the same way in a decade.

Another good point, maybe, just maybe a few decent drivers will get a crack at it by having more seats available. I guess just take it in stride, chuckle politely when the likes of Taki come along again and just enjoy the madness of F1.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think of all the outrageous things said in this thread over the years, Giancarlo Fisichella being called a "diamond" with no irony is the worst

Also pay drivers got us Markus Winkelhock leading his only ever grand prix in a Spyker

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

I wonder too... is it just enough for some guys to buy their way into F1 to be able to say they competed at the highest level? Who knows.

I don't think anybody pays Sauber or Manor a load of money with that mindset. I think what happens is its very easy to pump in money and get some decent results in lower categories and these guys probably think its going to be a similar cakewalk in F1. Its like I said, these guys have had to put in less effort relative to others to get decent results their whole career and now they're at the back of the field because you can't just buy your way into a top seat like you could in lower categories.

Once you're there you can either struggle and put in real effort or you can shrug and say "Well I still have daddy's millions". I think most of them have tended to do the latter.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 12, 2016

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Tsaedje posted:

Also pay drivers got us Markus Winkelhock leading his only ever grand prix in a Spyker

Best moment of that f1 season... Or was that the year ide was racing and had his super licence pulled for trying to murder albers at imola? because then that was the best moment.

Rio had decent qualifying pace but he could never get the race pace down.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CratSock posted:

Another good point, maybe, just maybe a few decent drivers will get a crack at it by having more seats available. I guess just take it in stride, chuckle politely when the likes of Taki come along again and just enjoy the madness of F1.

The super license points system pretty much precludes another Taki from getting into F1, no? The worst we'll see are the likes of Haryanto and Palmer.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Scrap superlicences, derestrict the technical specs for more of a 'run what ya brung' and bring back pre-qualifying. The world needs more Andrea Modas.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

The super license points system pretty much precludes another Taki from getting into F1, no? The worst we'll see are the likes of Haryanto and Palmer.

And I think even Rio had to get his this year because his lower formula results were not good enough.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Started watching 98. Boy Ron really hosed over Coulthard right away. If I was Mika I'd be embarrassed to be on the top step of the podium.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot Nick Wirth was involved with the Andrea Moda debacle. One has to wonder how good the the chassis would have been even if BMW had entered in 1990...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Started watching 98. Boy Ron really hosed over Coulthard right away. If I was Mika I'd be embarrassed to be on the top step of the podium.

The mid-wings were so loving stupid it wrapped back around to being awesome.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The idea that narrower cars was going to promote overtaking anywhere but Monaco was hilarious in retrospect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The narrower cars ruined the look of F1 cars for like at least six or seven years imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

It's really funny that Mika didn't win a race forever and then his first two wins were in strange circumstances where he was arguably gifted the win. Was it clear watching the race what happened, btw? (Some fan found McLaren's radio frequency and managed to tell Mika to make an unscheduled pit stop)

Also the 1998 Australian Grand Prix is famous for being one of my least favorite Grands Prix of all time.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 12, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The narrower cars ruined the look of F1 cars for like at least six or seven years imo.

I always hated the grooved tires. And, if were being honest, it basically permanently ruined the look of F1 cars, although the '06-'10 cars look decent, and some of the '14+ low-nose cars are ok.

The 2013 cars were probably the worst-looking F1 cars since the mid-70s though. Jesus Christ.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 12, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Alain Post posted:

It's really funny that Mika didn't win a race forever and then his first two wins were in strange circumstances where he was arguably gifted the win. Was it clear watching the race what happened, btw? (Some fan found McLaren's radio frequency and managed to tell Mika to make an unscheduled pit stop)

Also the 1998 Australian Grand Prix is famous for being one of my least favorite Grands Prix of all time.

Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Didn't realize that a fan tapped in but it was pretty clear that for whatever reason Mika made an unscheduled stop and Coulthard lifted on that straight to let Mika through. To be honest if I was Coulthard I wouldn't have done it, you almost got replaced by Damon Hill of all people, its not like his place in the team was really secure. I would've just gone rogue and see what Ron would do about it.

I'm kind of expecting this to be a boring season so I'm just going to throw a few races on when I work from home.

• Locked thread