Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Earwicker posted:

Town Hall in Leeds

It's a shame you won't be in Leeds for the Ghost Stories live show. Leeds is a beautiful city, if handicapped by a severe lack of decent light transport.

The only other downside to the Ghost Stories tour is that the Manchester show is a week before Hell in a Cell, so I'll probably have to make two Sunday trips over the Pennines. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

the Fillmore in Detroit (previously known as the State)

The Fillmore really is a nice venue. I can imagine your show working really well there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Earwicker posted:

The Fox in Oakland is definitely one of my favorite venues. I used to live in Oakland and the place was boarded up the whole time I lived there, they did a beautiful job with the reconstruction and I feel super honored to get to perform
Yeah I remember that. Sad it was almost demolished and turned into a parking lot-- that would have been an awful thing. Fox has done wonders to improve uptown and it's crazy how much it's changed in even 5 years, let alone how awful it was 10 years ago where I remember it being depressing and lot of unused/wasted potential.

I need to go to Uptown more because I always have fun there--much more than SF. Where do you live now?

Does Meg change up her opening every show or is that mostly scripted? She was funny as hell and one of my favorite parts and the rules had me cracking up.

Also are you and Mr Fink doing extremely well financially in the top 5% now with the huge success of the show?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Who's going to the Seattle show tonight? Most goons I know had to bail on their tickets.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Holy poo poo what an amazing live show. That ending just blew me away. Great job guys.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Hughlander posted:

Who's going to the Seattle show tonight? Most goons I know had to bail on their tickets.

I was there.

And yes... amazing night, all. Definitely some of the best writing I've heard on the show so far. Awesome mandolin(?) skills, Earwicker. Also, loved the surprise Jason Webley appearance, too! I've been a fan of that guy for almost twenty years.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Drunk Tomato posted:

I was there.

And yes... amazing night, all. Definitely some of the best writing I've heard on the show so far. Awesome mandolin(?) skills, Earwicker. Also, loved the surprise Jason Webley appearance, too! I've been a fan of that guy for almost twenty years.

I was also there and it was loving phenominal. I can't wait for the live recording so I can re-listen to it. It was exquisitely well written, and the last bit after the weather was especially outstanding.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like Welcome to Night Vale. I really like Alice Isn't Dead. I'm listening to Within The Wires and I don't get it at all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Met posted:

I like Welcome to Night Vale. I really like Alice Isn't Dead. I'm listening to Within The Wires and I don't get it at all.

It's certainly much more abstract. So far what I've seen it's mostly more into the surreal horror and dreamlike prose, at least of the relaxation tapes. And I guess a narrative of how this is all supposed to tie to the local medical ward.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just relax and do what the tapes say.

Especially do not open your eyes when you feel people in the room with you, feel people touching you or doing things to you.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Met posted:

There's definitely a story developing here, with the visualization exercises telling you how to escape, but I'm not sure where it's going. And I'm okay with that.

I just listen, remember, and comprehend.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 31, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I only listened to the first episode so I don't really know if it gets better, but it didn't feel like the juice was worth the squeeze.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Just listened to the first 21 episodes the last 2 days with my girlfriend on the drive to and from Yuma. I had only heard the pilot and 2nd episode when it first hit and enjoyed it.

Really got so much more out of it this time through a few hundred miles of dark desert highway through Gila Bend, Marana and the rest of the sleepy Sonoran sands that almost exist for no reason than to gas up cars and trucks who just want to flee the oppressive heat. We both ended up really digging it, this is some quality stuff

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

Just listened to the first 21 episodes the last 2 days with my girlfriend on the drive to and from Yuma. I had only heard the pilot and 2nd episode when it first hit and enjoyed it.

Really got so much more out of it this time through a few hundred miles of dark desert highway through Gila Bend, Marana and the rest of the sleepy Sonoran sands that almost exist for no reason than to gas up cars and trucks who just want to flee the oppressive heat. We both ended up really digging it, this is some quality stuff

Sounds like you would really, really enjoy Alice Isn't Dead. It's made by the same crew, and it's "about" travelling around America. Check it out.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Met posted:

I only listened to the first episode so I don't really know if it gets better, but it didn't feel like the juice was worth the squeeze.

They are actually fairly similar to real tapes of that sort, just with more abstract visualisation exercises

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

here is the soundtrack for Part 1 of Alice Isn't Dead.

https://disparition.bandcamp.com/album/fire-never-consuming-music-from-alice-isnt-dead

:sweatdrop:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Neat!

Was literally listening to a looped cut of 1.o La Position du Tireur Couché from the end of Ep 1 when I took the pic in my post above. :v:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 10, 2016

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hell yeah

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Driving down a desert at night sounds, more or less, like the ideal way to listen to Nightvale.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Welp, Nightvale really goes way too far down the fan service path around episode 28ish until the 50s. That was hard to get through. But it seems after the really cringey radio play that was the late 40s it remembered what made it work in the first place

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Booblord Zagats posted:

Welp, Nightvale really goes way too far down the fan service path around episode 28ish until the 50s. That was hard to get through. But it seems after the really cringey radio play that was the late 40s it remembered what made it work in the first place

you're insane, this is insane, season 2 is probably the best season yet

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Literally The Worst posted:

you're insane, this is insane, season 2 is probably the best season yet

Is your tumblr about ponys or gem people? Or is it OG with Dr. Who and Firefly?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Booblord Zagats posted:

You have bad opinions. The Strex Arc is the best, and people who whine about Tumblr are the worst. "Oh, no, there are gay characters, and they actually have a happy relationship! Tumblr!!!! :arghfist:"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jurgan posted:

You have bad opinions. The Strex Arc is the best, and people who whine about Tumblr are the worst. "Oh, no, there are gay characters, and they actually have a happy relationship! Tumblr!!!! :arghfist:"

The gay relationship was fine, and wayyyyy before episode 28. Hell, Cecil and Carlos have one of the most realisitc loving relationships on any form of media. I'm against constant fan service and odd wish fulfillment arcs that aren't in the same narrative voice as the previous work

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Booblord Zagats posted:

The gay relationship was fine, and wayyyyy before episode 28. Hell, Cecil and Carlos have one of the most realisitc loving relationships on any form of media. I'm against constant fan service and odd wish fulfillment arcs that aren't in the same narrative voice as the previous work

The previous work was a bunch of standalone episodes that ended up being strung together partway through the season though

I love season one of night vale a lot but using it as the barometer for the rest of the show is a terrible idea

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Booblord Zagats posted:

Also the idea that anyone who disagrees is a tumblrina who belongs to fandoms you find dumb is really stupid and makes your argument weaker hope this helps

(I don't have a tumblr and dislike 3 of the 4 shows you associate with it)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
^^ You're right. I apologize for being an rear end with you. But when you flippantly respond to something as a insane/crazy/dumb opinion, then wouldn't you agree a response that fires back in the same tone might be the more natural thing?

The previous work was a bunch of standalone episodes that ended up being strung together partway through the season though

I love season one of night vale a lot but using it as the barometer for the rest of the show is a terrible idea

I liked that a lot better. A story going for a surrealist theme works so much better in small doses where nothing is spelled out and left highly ambigious, so when it started to just be a bunch of mini-radio plays where it seems like everyone was in an off Broadway production, it felt like fan fiction instead of a cohesive and well crafted show.

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 11, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well, I think you'll be happy to know it does strike more of a balance between a season long story arc and standalone events after season 2.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Booblord Zagats posted:

^^ You're right. I apologize for being an rear end with you. But when you flippantly respond to something as a insane/crazy/dumb opinion, then wouldn't you agree a response that fires back in the same tone might be the more natural thing?

I liked that a lot better. A story going for a surrealist theme works so much better in small doses where nothing is spelled out and left highly ambigious, so when it started to just be a bunch of mini-radio plays where it seems like everyone was in an off Broadway production, it felt like fan fiction instead of a cohesive and well crafted show.

Shakin your fist about wish fulfillment and fan service is very different from the thing you just said so maybe do more of this and less of that

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, I think you'll be happy to know it does strike more of a balance between a season long story arc and standalone events after season 2.

Yeah, Now that I'm past season 2 I'm a lot happier with the show again. I think S2 was just frustrating because there were so many really good ideas that were just being presented in such unfitting ways. I could tell there was a really good arc, but it was being presented in a way that was nothing like what hooked me in the first place that it just came off as very disjointed. It went from a show/arc that felt like something ambiguous and mysterious like the early days of Lost, Heroes, BSG or even Stranger Things to something that felt like a high school production of a soap opera script. The story was still following a similar path, but it was doing it in a golf cartw ith spinner rims and a portable DVD player showing the Big Bang Theory on loop.

That said, I was really impressed with Mara Wilson and Chris McCullogh's work as Faceless/Hiram and I enjoyed the characters they both vocally crafted.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Could you please give examples about what is wish fulfillment and fan service? I'm just honestly curious.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, Now that I'm past season 2 I'm a lot happier with the show again. I think S2 was just frustrating because there were so many really good ideas that were just being presented in such unfitting ways. I could tell there was a really good arc, but it was being presented in a way that was nothing like what hooked me in the first place that it just came off as very disjointed. It went from a show/arc that felt like something ambiguous and mysterious like the early days of Lost, Heroes, BSG or even Stranger Things to something that felt like a high school production of a soap opera script. The story was still following a similar path, but it was doing it in a golf cartw ith spinner rims and a portable DVD player showing the Big Bang Theory on loop.

That said, I was really impressed with Mara Wilson and Chris McCullogh's work as Faceless/Hiram and I enjoyed the characters they both vocally crafted.

I like that you refer to Publick by his actual name and not the name he creates things under, it's a good indicator that you're in the know

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OneTwentySix posted:

Could you please give examples about what is wish fulfillment and fan service? I'm just honestly curious.

Tamikia Flynn really felt like a walk on that path. Something about her usage seems like a projection of those kids who thought reading Ethan Fromme, Pride and Prejudice and a slew of post-modernist work somehow made them superior to their classmates who were getting better grades or going out for sports or even just having a more engaging social life. It felt forced that Strex corp was being set up so obviously to just fall when presented with the "power of weird and smart" that was Tamika, Cecil and Dana. Plus Cecil's own battles against station management and Kevin just felt like someone venting about how awful their bosses are while trying to create a foil for the hero that had zero depth to them.

It's a sin that seems easy for a lot of creators trying to create drama and conflict in the story to commit, when they create bad guys who are bad because they say bad guy things and tell you their bad guy plans. The City Council, underground society, Dog park Dwellers, men in suits and even Pamela worked so much better because they were allowed to be ambiguous and were shown to be somewhat clever, they could have objectives that were unknown to the listener while having actions relayed to you in a way that gave them an air of menace. By having them operate as known entities doing unknown or oddly defined acts that had dangerous subtexts brought forth by Cecil's descriptions, it created a better story than just having Evil McBadguyerson and his friends show up and buy Mayberry and telling Sheriff Andy he had to start cracking skulls for people not shopping at Wal*Mart

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
None of that is fan service and is in fact entirely you bringing your weird hang ups to the table

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

None of that is fan service and is in fact entirely you bringing your weird hang ups to the table

Ok buddy

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kevin SA account spotted.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Like what do you think fan service actually is because it's not that

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Like what do you think fan service actually is because it's not that

Alright, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Booblord Zagats posted:

Alright, friend

So are you going to answer or are you just gonna keep being a douchebag who whines about tumblr