Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Yes, you can get marginally stronger animals through husbandry. If I recall, the reason all animals were gigantic and bursting with muscle was because there is some simulation of survival of the fittest among creatures in an area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Does dog eugenics really lead to stronger dogs?

This is dwarf fortress.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I knew it wasn't just placebo :v:

In other news, Oh my god gently caress OFF ghost the majority of your body was buried in a perfectly acceptable coffin ages ago and I'm not sending some poor rear end in a top hat into the caves to search for your back molars. Anyway the whole debacle was your own fault for harassing the troglodytes for no reason so I don't care if you end up on a permanent ensure diet for the rest of your afterlife.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

A werebison visited my fortress and my dudes wrestled it to death. After the fight most of the squad had to be dragged into the hospital. I found it weird that the only body was a "g", a goblin, but I didn't think much of it. Then out of nowhere my best fighter becomes a werebison, strips all his clothes off, and starts to throw dwarves into the air and against trees (there's still a body 3 tiles up on the wall). I had to lock the base down, leaving the dwarves outside to fend for themselves. (The base is above ground since I got an aquifer and winters aren't cold enough to dig through them.) At some point in the battle an elf, the guardian of the forest, comes out and engages the werebison. But after a second decides better of it and hauls rear end out of there. As of this writing the base is still on lock down.

I'm not really sure what the gently caress happened but I like where it's going.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Lpzie posted:

A werebison visited my fortress and my dudes wrestled it to death. After the fight most of the squad had to be dragged into the hospital. I found it weird that the only body was a "g", a goblin, but I didn't think much of it. Then out of nowhere my best fighter becomes a werebison, strips all his clothes off, and starts to throw dwarves into the air and against trees (there's still a body 3 tiles up on the wall). I had to lock the base down, leaving the dwarves outside to fend for themselves. (The base is above ground since I got an aquifer and winters aren't cold enough to dig through them.) At some point in the battle an elf, the guardian of the forest, comes out and engages the werebison. But after a second decides better of it and hauls rear end out of there. As of this writing the base is still on lock down.

I'm not really sure what the gently caress happened but I like where it's going.

I've highlighted the key part of this for you. ;)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This is the best game ever.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Anchors posted:

Yes, you can get marginally stronger animals through husbandry. If I recall, the reason all animals were gigantic and bursting with muscle was because there is some simulation of survival of the fittest among creatures in an area.

no that was a description glitch with the body broadness/length/height modifiers multiplying each other wrong and making the perfectly average size (100% broadness, 100% height and 100% length of average) come out to something like 10000% instead of 100%

the creature's actual size that was used for doing stuff was okay, the description just got a really extreme value whenever length and height were both considered for a creature at the same time

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started up a fresh game. Wagon exploded for no apparent reason. I'm feeling this update. :yeah:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Nietzschean posted:

Started up a fresh game. Wagon exploded for no apparent reason. I'm feeling this update. :yeah:

That's been happening since Z-levels were implemented, I think. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the wagon being partially over something other than level ground, realizing it can't be constructed where it is, and immediately deconstructing itself in protest.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing a bit of the LNP, I really don't think I appreciate Dwarf Therapist enough. I don't know where I would be without it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's been happening since Z-levels were implemented, I think. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the wagon being partially over something other than level ground, realizing it can't be constructed where it is, and immediately deconstructing itself in protest.

It's like something out of a Douglas Adams book.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Playing a bit of the LNP, I really don't think I appreciate Dwarf Therapist enough. I don't know where I would be without it.

It's like something out of a Douglas Adams book.

Urist canceled dig: turning into a penguin.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:rip:

Here lies querns the gay axedwarf, who ran outside to fight a wereskunk in the rain. His skull was melted by heinous slush. He is survived by an -iron helmet- which did nothing to stop the rain.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 11, 2016

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I want to be able to equip my outside dwarfs with umbrellas, or better yet adorable cat leather parkas and galoshes that protect them from unhappy getting-caught-in-the-rain thoughts. And evil skull melting rain too, I guess.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Esme posted:

I knew it wasn't just placebo :v:

In other news, Oh my god gently caress OFF ghost the majority of your body was buried in a perfectly acceptable coffin ages ago and I'm not sending some poor rear end in a top hat into the caves to search for your back molars. Anyway the whole debacle was your own fault for harassing the troglodytes for no reason so I don't care if you end up on a permanent ensure diet for the rest of your afterlife.

A memorial slab will get rid of the ghost.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The wagon exploding is a really fun bug when your embark spawns you in a murky pool and you have to scramble to get all of your items out before the wet season comes.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
My mayor is currently demanding a "green tree frog tooth bed in dining room."

...I...can you even make a bed out of that? Is my mayor going to go crazy or punish someone if this doesn't happen?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Only if he is still alive when the mandate expires. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dude just wants a green bed for his tree frog tooth

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

my dad posted:

Only if he is still alive when the mandate expires. :v:

Well, he's the badass leader of my elite mace team, what if I make someone else mayor instead? I feel kind of bad, he feels "triumph to be re-elected."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's the hammerer that doles out punishments. Failing that, jail time.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Appoint the weeniest weenie to hammerer and make sure whoever the poor sap who is going to get beat has armor. My previous hammerer got so good at her job she started beating people to death and I had to replace her.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
or just completely ignore the justice system and all its positions because (unless it changed in the taverns/temples/library patch) there's no meaningful downside

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Let the Dwarf die from hammering for not fulfilling the fort's needs.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Or give the Hammerer a hammer made of Adamantium because it's so light it'll be literally like your guy is getting hit with a wiffleball bat.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

Or give the Hammerer a hammer made of Adamantium because it's so light it'll be literally like your guy is getting hit with a wiffleball bat.

Slate is the only properly just hammer material but Silver will do in a pinch.

Vote Urist; he is the law and order candidate

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Give your hammerer a featherwood hammer. Easier to get over adamantine. A natural platinum hammer will do for mining Goblinite.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Just give the hammerer a featherwood crossbow and make the royal guard a marksdwarf squad, so they're not worse than useless in an actual combat situation.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Kill all monarchs.

Regicide is a moral good.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like I've reached a point where there is a bunch of new stuff in Dwarf Fortress that I don't even need to use, even though I want to. My current fort has happily plodded along with my favourite design: an archery tower built right atop where the wagon spawned, with ramps on opposite sides leading down a few levels to a trade depot that can be secured from above with floor hatches. Everything else goes in the levels between the surface and the depot, and the depot can be isolated. It's just now autumn, and my "archery tower" has become a 29-tile long by 17-tile wide above ground keep, and I've not even touched the military or metalworking yet because why bother? I've nearly completed my 2-story above-ground fortress footprint, and of course I'm going to train some archers to put in it; but, they're honestly redundant when I can just lock a couple of floor hatches. I feel like I've made the game unfun for myself and I don't know how to get out of it. I look at LP forts, and there's neither symmetry nor advanced planning and for the life of me I just can't wrench myself away from building radially around a central staircase even though I know it's a security risk and a pathing issue.

On this particular embark, a central staircase seemed especially prudent since I had like no cliffs to dig into. What are some alternatives, and how can I get myself out of the rut of accidentally ruining fun for myself?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

abrosheen posted:

My mayor is currently demanding a "green tree frog tooth bed in dining room."

...I...can you even make a bed out of that? Is my mayor going to go crazy or punish someone if this doesn't happen?

It's a personal demand, not a mandate, so no one will get punished. He will get increasingly irritable unhappy thoughts once a season or so (?) for a while until he gives up on his impossible dream bed. As long as he is otherwise happy it won't matter.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nietzschean posted:

I feel like I've reached a point where there is a bunch of new stuff in Dwarf Fortress that I don't even need to use, even though I want to. My current fort has happily plodded along with my favourite design: an archery tower built right atop where the wagon spawned, with ramps on opposite sides leading down a few levels to a trade depot that can be secured from above with floor hatches. Everything else goes in the levels between the surface and the depot, and the depot can be isolated. It's just now autumn, and my "archery tower" has become a 29-tile long by 17-tile wide above ground keep, and I've not even touched the military or metalworking yet because why bother? I've nearly completed my 2-story above-ground fortress footprint, and of course I'm going to train some archers to put in it; but, they're honestly redundant when I can just lock a couple of floor hatches. I feel like I've made the game unfun for myself and I don't know how to get out of it. I look at LP forts, and there's neither symmetry nor advanced planning and for the life of me I just can't wrench myself away from building radially around a central staircase even though I know it's a security risk and a pathing issue.

On this particular embark, a central staircase seemed especially prudent since I had like no cliffs to dig into. What are some alternatives, and how can I get myself out of the rut of accidentally ruining fun for myself?

It really sounds like you need to just try to change up your game at every level. You know what "works", so now try other things. Go in with the mindset that your fort is expendable and its all a test run and you're trying new things. Then just throw every idea at the wall and see what sticks. Try building an open pit strip mine of a fort that focuses on mineral export. Or establish a new above ground village. Or a hippie farming co op. Or a Victorian England style expedition with the express purpose of catching and documenting all the strange animals out there.

For fort layout, try to stop caring about what looks like what. Go in with the mindset that if it doesn't work, you can just dig out another floor and try again. Don't worry about pathing efficiency or whatever. I typically break my fort into various set pieces that i just dig out wherever they're needed and then make paths to and from.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

It really sounds like you need to just try to change up your game at every level. You know what "works", so now try other things. Go in with the mindset that your fort is expendable and its all a test run and you're trying new things. Then just throw every idea at the wall and see what sticks. Try building an open pit strip mine of a fort that focuses on mineral export. Or establish a new above ground village. Or a hippie farming co op. Or a Victorian England style expedition with the express purpose of catching and documenting all the strange animals out there.

For fort layout, try to stop caring about what looks like what. Go in with the mindset that if it doesn't work, you can just dig out another floor and try again. Don't worry about pathing efficiency or whatever. I typically break my fort into various set pieces that i just dig out wherever they're needed and then make paths to and from.

Unskilled no-farming embarks with only raw materials is a good way to get some challenge out of the game.

7 peasants, 1 anvil, 2 copper nuggets and a small pile of bauxite and charcoal is really all you need to make a successful fortress and it encourages you to do a lot more stuff that you wouldn't do and build up industries earlier. Even moreso if you're on a resource stretched map already, since you're going to need some trade goods when that first caravan comes around.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

The dirty secret behind Dwarf Fortress is that once you've figured out the UI and spent a little time learning how the game plays, it's fairly easy to build an impregnable super-fortress. Once you crack the code, it's easy to fall into a rut. After that, there are only two things to do: (1) walk away for awhile and come back later; or (2) deliberately shake things up by doing something counter to your natural inclination.

There's no shame in taking option 1. For option 2, consider:

Picking a challenging embark site. Embark on an aquifer, near a necromancer's tower, atop a volcano, next to the ocean, somewhere that no friendly caravans can reach you, on a terrifying glacier with no trees, etc. etc.

Change up your fortress design. Build everything above ground. Tunnel straight down to the caverns and build everything there. Build everything out of Olivine Blocks. Build an internal waterfall. Construct an artificial, subterranean river. Whatever.

Explore an industry you've never tried before. Export yarn socks. Build everything out of glass or clay. Raise cows. Make honey. Assign every dwarf to whatever labor they have the most ranks in and see what happens.

Pick fights. Build a big militia and attack everything.

Build a dumb megaproject. There are tons of suggestions on the wiki.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

hi bay12forums

CrocAndBearLover posted:

So, i made both sexes of troglodytes milkable. Males will produce you-know-what and females will produce milk. Problem is, there's no you-know-what in Dwarf Fortress. What .txt file i'll need to open and mod?

I also want to make alcohol at the brewery from troglodytes's you-know-what and milk, called "Dwarven milkshake".

bye bay12forums

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

there's also a devlog!

Toady One posted:

All right, we've finished the first of four sections on the dev page for this release -- world generation artifact interactions. We're now ready to situate the artifacts in tile map locations and then move the interactions into the two play modes. This process will surely bring up some issues with what we've done in world generation, but hopefully it's mostly okay! Map code can take a lot of time to update and change (since it's prone to bugs, especially with the third dimension), and I'll try not to get bogged down, but we should also see some interesting additions. More as I get to each civilization!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scamtank posted:

hi bay12forums

bye bay12forums

Is this the same guy who made a mod that made Elves all female, added breasts with a "smother" attack and made captured ones milkable?

E: Also looking forward to this being added to the Succubus mode in MW

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
My dwarves are completely unable to make bookshelves from glass, stone, or metal. I can't even order them in the manager menu. Is my dream of a library screwed?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

scamtank posted:

there's also a devlog!

I derive great satisfaction from looking at this. I'm really happy that Toady keeps the development page updated, so I can remain up to date on the features currently in the version slated to be released in what is probably several years from now.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

hi bay12forums

bye bay12forums

I still love the bay12forums - they're like an SA lite. And The Creative Projects subforum is always so positive, no matter what terrible crap you visit on them (and I visited some truly atrocious things on them).

As for the challenge builds - I recently had an idea for a "shipwrecked" embark: randomly skilled dorfs, the wagon is your "raft", you have one jug or barrel you used to catch rainwater, one additional log you used for a mast and a sheet of cloth you used as a sail.

I would probably use it with MW to use the thatchery workshop and place the embark over a freshwater brook near the coast, pretending they dragged the raft from the beach to a more hospitable site.

To randomly select the dwarves skills I guess you'd have to just write down some professions on a piece of paper and roll some D20s. I know you have them. (I have a D30, I'm even worse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

dragon_pamcake posted:

My dwarves are completely unable to make bookshelves from glass, stone, or metal. I can't even order them in the manager menu. Is my dream of a library screwed?

Did you start that save on a pre-bookshelf world? I think there were some raws changes to enable the use of bookshelves, and I can't remember if you can introduce them to a currently running world or not.