Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

~Coxy posted:

Dell is literally the best option for a work laptop

my daily shitposting (and codeshitting) machine is a latitude e5000 series. it has a dumb and bad screen, the power brick is yuuge compared to apple, and i swapped out the spinny disk for a samsung evo that i had in a different machine. on the other hand i will get years of use out of it and it cost me a whole $400

also it has a newer cpu architecture than the mbp 15" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gorilla glass covered edge to edge screen :jizz:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my daily shitposting (and codeshitting) machine is a latitude e5000 series. it has a dumb and bad screen, the power brick is yuuge compared to apple, and i swapped out the spinny disk for a samsung evo that i had in a different machine. on the other hand i will get years of use out of it and it cost me a whole $400

also it has a newer cpu architecture than the mbp 15" :v:
imo the screen is way more important

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it's plugged in into my external 98% of the time, hehe

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

AWWNAW posted:

yeah but Why The gently caress Does It Have That Dumb loving Web Cartoon In The Documentation

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

thinkpad supremacy

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
that image is so scarily accurate

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

god i love ~*~Design by a Committee of Managers~*~

e: each branch is it's own little fiefdom and they all want their own super specific special snowflake feature that no one else would ever use

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 11, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

HoboMan posted:

Apply for one?

past that point m8

just wondering if they ask stuff mainly focused on the OS for the position you're applying for or are they still going to hammer you with algorithms

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what you mean you're not just gonna show them a video of world's smartest kid and drop mic outta there?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

HoboMan posted:

god i love ~*~Design by a Committee of Managers~*~

e: each branch is it's own little fiefdom and they all want their own super specific special snowflake feature that no one else would ever use

one of our branches is a ~demo~ that is shown to the product owner with completely different ui and functionality lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

one of our branches is a ~demo~ that is shown to the product owner with completely different ui and functionality lmao

loving lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
our product team regularly specify table schemas in design tickets.

luckily they also don't care when we completely ignore them

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

gonadic io posted:

our product team regularly specify table schemas in design tickets.

luckily they also don't care when we completely ignore them

good to know our product team isn't the only one actively trying to sabotage the product

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
product....team lol

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

KidDynamite posted:

past that point m8

just wondering if they ask stuff mainly focused on the OS for the position you're applying for or are they still going to hammer you with algorithms

if you applied for a specifically iOS role you'll probably get one or two interviews of just iOS related questions if that's what you mean but you'll probably have another couple of standard pulled-something-out-of-CTCI interviews as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dazjw posted:

if you applied for a specifically iOS role you'll probably get one or two interviews of just iOS related questions if that's what you mean but you'll probably have another couple of standard pulled-something-out-of-CTCI interviews as well

since google literally gives you a download link to cracking the coding interview they don't really ask questions literally from it anymore

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

dazjw posted:

cool, i've been working in xamarin for the past 6 months so i should probably refresh some names

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

huh. i found the old 486SLC 25MHz laptop that my cousin gave me when he graduated college. i tried to run POLYGON.EXE on it and it just crashes. could be because i'm running it on a 486 with no FPU, it has 3MB of RAM, or something else! oh well

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i had a project kicked down for redesign because i didn't use a *card ui*. its a grid of duplicate records and some buttons to resolve the duplicates.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I was googling for something today and instead of taking me to the results it asked me if I wanted to take a coding challenge. I guess it is some kind of recruiting tool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I was googling for something today and instead of taking me to the results it asked me if I wanted to take a coding challenge. I guess it is some kind of recruiting tool.

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Pay us 100 dollars and get your photo published in the Who's Who Among Terrible Programmers

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i had a project kicked down for redesign because i didn't use a *card ui*. its a grid of duplicate records and some buttons to resolve the duplicates.

wtf is a card ui

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
they give you two languages to choose from Python and Java. jokes on me I'm terrible at both.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

take the blue pill. TRUST ME ON THIS

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

wtf is a card ui
you know, like hypercard

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
do you mean material design

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

uncurable mlady posted:

do you mean material design

yes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
but we can't call it that and we're a loving desktop app not an anroid. my project would be used by claim examiners to review delicate claims. its business software. collapsible card elements and whatever are just a lovely whizzbang distraction so we can say we use "modern ui design"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we masturbate furiously to a "4d ui" that is, predictably, an unusable pile of poo poo

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol you guys are trying to shoehorn the material design shitshow into a desktop app

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
but web modern interactive ux design responsive reactive user engagement

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

so uh, what's the correct way to build a .net web app now? i just realized yesterday that you can target .net 4.6 with asp.net core and that it's not limited to .net core.

i hope that's the answer, because asp.net core kinda rules.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bloody posted:

we masturbate furiously to a "4d ui" that is, predictably, an unusable pile of poo poo

wtf is a 4d ui

(apparently this is my gimmick)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pokeyman posted:

wtf is a 4d ui

(apparently this is my gimmick)

gently caress if i know. picture a gross pile of qt poo poo thrown together with no design and a checked-out project manager

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

so uh, what's the correct way to build a .net web app now?

oh,, it's "don't"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

but web modern interactive ux design responsive reactive user engagement

users are lying shitheads and will actively ruin your business buying a terrible competing product with a flashy UI when they know that's not what they want

rule 0 of UI design: users lie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

so uh, what's the correct way to build a .net web app now? i just realized yesterday that you can target .net 4.6 with asp.net core and that it's not limited to .net core.

i hope that's the answer, because asp.net core kinda rules.

asp.net core is cool but lots of stuff hasn't been ported to it yet or is still in the process of being ported. if its not a problem for you then gopher it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LordSaturn posted:

users are lying shitheads and will actively ruin your business buying a terrible competing product with a flashy UI when they know that's not what they want

rule 0 of UI design: users lie

so true. the whole reason theyre forcing this on me is that we lost a couple sales to trizetto and the feedback was basically "wow, your system is much more functional than theirs, but its just so ugly". people literally dont give a poo poo what your software does or how good it is if it doesnt look like a spaceships bleached butthole.

• Locked thread