Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

Is this the same TNG comic guy who got a bunch of money to make a book and then went full on cuckoo-bananas?

i don't think so he doesn't just stick to star trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Sten Freak posted:

Watched the DS9 episode last night where Bashir and O'Brien are destroying that bioweapon and the aliens try to kill them then convince the DS9 crew that the two of them are dead. Pretty drat good. Quark's toast to them was classic Quark. He's my favorite character on the show at this point.

Also laughed at Keiko being 100% convinced O'Brien doesn't drink coffee in the afternoon which is what tipped her off that the vid had been altered when in fact O'Brien drinks coffee all drat day.

E: it was like a twist in the last 5 seconds of the show lol

I laughed my rear end off the first time I saw that Trek rarely makes me laugh unless it's unintentional.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

Watched the DS9 episode last night where Bashir and O'Brien are destroying that bioweapon and the aliens try to kill them then convince the DS9 crew that the two of them are dead. Pretty drat good. Quark's toast to them was classic Quark. He's my favorite character on the show at this point.

Also laughed at Keiko being 100% convinced O'Brien doesn't drink coffee in the afternoon which is what tipped her off that the vid had been altered when in fact O'Brien drinks coffee all drat day.

First and only time Keiko's whining did something productive.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just learned that in Voyager at least they number decks from top to bottom so apparently the bottom deck is 15 which seems kinda weird to me but I'm not space adventurer

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I just learned that in Voyager at least they number decks from top to bottom so apparently the bottom deck is 15 which seems kinda weird to me but I'm not space adventurer

That's not just Voyager

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sten Freak posted:

When O'Brian realizes the depth of how little his wife really knows him it's just sublime. One of the best O'Brian faces right before the credits.

Goddamn the writers hated that dude.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not just Voyager

IDK do navy ships do this IRL? It's just something I never even thought about.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

how did this never dawn on me before

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

It's like that in all of Trek except for Star Trek V the one Shatner directed. He insisted the Enterprise was 100 decks high and the bridge was on deck 100.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

It's like that in all of Trek except for Star Trek V the one Shatner directed. He insisted the Enterprise was 100 decks high and the bridge was on deck 100.

was that the one with the hoverboots

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Wouldn't they technically be rocket boots?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

Wouldn't they technically be rocket boots?

yeah I suppose so. That one might be the only TOS cast movie I can't watch. The whole beginning and the campfire scene NO THANKS

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

was that the one with the hoverboots

Yes this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

yeah I suppose so. That one might be the only TOS cast movie I can't watch. The whole beginning and the campfire scene NO THANKS

My dad took me as a baby to the first Trek movie so he had a tradition of taking me to every one growing up and I remember thinking "holy poo poo this movie is awesome" but I was a kid so what did I know.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

My dad took me as a baby to the first Trek movie so he had a tradition of taking me to every one growing up and I remember thinking "holy poo poo this movie is awesome" but I was a kid so what did I know.

I'm glad you got to spend quality time with your cool dad :unsmith:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It was still a buttlicker move though taking a newborn to a movie. I've killed people for less.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
V has good character moments for Bones and Kirk, but it's otherwise absolute butt

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Also

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

criscodisco posted:

I didn't understand a goddamn thing in that page I might as well have loaded up weabo or whatever that Chinese social network is but it read like Voyager technobabble.

Chirality is awesome and you should check it out.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
1 and 4 are probably my favorites.

I think I like TMP anyhow. I start it and and its ok, I watch like 45 min, then randomly wake up during the part where they land on vger and figure out the voyager thing and its like whoa cool

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Chirality is awesome and you should check it out.

Mass Effect actually uses this premise. The Turians and Quarians have a different chirality to the other races.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ugh, I'm on the DS9 episode where the Cardassian raised as a Bajoran gets stuck with the O'Brien family, so Cakehole decides to treat him like a Cardassian rather than his adopted culture. gently caress me, she is dumb sometimesall the time. First she chews out O'Brien because of his prejudices against Cardassians, and then replicates some terrible Cardassian food so Rugal feels like one of his OWN people.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 12, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I've missed a lot of pages.

I'm coming up on the end of Enterprise and seeing a lot of Riker. These are dark times.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
That Scotty/Uhura cringe relationship in Star Trek V was so weird. What did it add to the film? Uhura could do so much better than that old duffer.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Watching the episode where Belana is stuck on a planet as the muse of a poet and it's actually a pretty good idea for a story. I mean "THIS IS A GREEK TRAGEDY" isn't novel or or anything but its done pretty well I think.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Janeway seems to really go off the deep end toward the end of Season 4.

The Demon planet creates copies of Kim and Paris and when the ship gets stuck she starts firing phasers into a scared, just gained sentience lifeform, repeatedly while the Harry copy begs and pleads in pain for her to stop while she keeps going to strongarm an infant life form into giving up.

Then she meets a guy who is really pissed off because her deal with the borg caused the death of entire civilizations and she doesn't even pause for a second and is like "Sorry you feel that way bro but gently caress you"

Then they get into an area of space with no stars and she creepily hides in her quarters in a corner, refuses to come out, tries to commit suicide and has the entire crew refusing to follow her orders because she is ordering them to let her commit suicide.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

angerbeet posted:

Watching the episode where Belana is stuck on a planet as the muse of a poet and it's actually a pretty good idea for a story. I mean "THIS IS A GREEK TRAGEDY" isn't novel or or anything but its done pretty well I think.

You can tell the writer of that episode definitely half-paid attention during the week they read Aristotle's Poetics and had the work poorly explained to them by an English professor who doesn't know Ancient Greek, yeah.

e: I showed those scenes to my Greek professor (one of those guys who has a PhD in two different fields) during my Aristotle seminar and he loved it in a "so bad it's good" way

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Janeway seems to really go off the deep end toward the end of Season 4.

The Demon planet creates copies of Kim and Paris and when the ship gets stuck she starts firing phasers into a scared, just gained sentience lifeform, repeatedly while the Harry copy begs and pleads in pain for her to stop while she keeps going to strongarm an infant life form into giving up.

Then she meets a guy who is really pissed off because her deal with the borg caused the death of entire civilizations and she doesn't even pause for a second and is like "Sorry you feel that way bro but gently caress you"

Then they get into an area of space with no stars and she creepily hides in her quarters in a corner, refuses to come out, tries to commit suicide and has the entire crew refusing to follow her orders because she is ordering them to let her commit suicide.

I just watched those. I don't recall her trying to commit suicide though.

But yeah, she's definitely unhinged throughout.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Met posted:

I just watched those. I don't recall her trying to commit suicide though.

But yeah, she's definitely unhinged throughout.

Earlier in the episode Tuvok tells Chakotay that in the past she almost killed herself completing a mission that she ordered some ensigns to complete because they got injured. So they plan ahead for her being crazy.

She then comes to the bridge and tries to send them through a wormhole while she stays behind in a shuttle to close it (with a hostile ship that is trying to kill them left behind with her, alone in a hostile region of toxic space) and they refuse to let her do it despite her ordering them to.

She didn't outright say "I order you to let me commit suicide" but that's what it was. Not quite as blatant as Neelix trying to beam himself into space though.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Apollodorus posted:

You can tell the writer of that episode definitely half-paid attention during the week they read Aristotle's Poetics and had the work poorly explained to them by an English professor who doesn't know Ancient Greek, yeah.

e: I showed those scenes to my Greek professor (one of those guys who has a PhD in two different fields) during my Aristotle seminar and he loved it in a "so bad it's good" way

I'm just saying it's good by Voyager standards which is like "yes this the good dumpster"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I was watching the one where she found like 3 poo poo bag nerd ensigns on her poo poo who were totally just chillin' and not getting eaten by borg and poo poo, and decided they should go on a mission together. poo poo got crazy and the Delta Flyer was hosed up. I fell asleep but I'm going to guess maybe one or all 3 died and were true heroes, or maybe they all came back and were great ensigns and janeway said they'd be on the bridge and every away mission and then were forgotten.

Anyhow I was sitting looking at some dope SA threads and there were like these fake tuvok and janeways talking to some aliens and they kept talking about growing up in a corn field in indiana or something, and I was like whoa I grew up in a cornfield in indiana too and I was like really disappointed that I didn't get to go to space in my lifetime and I'll just die miserable and alone

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

1 and 4 are probably my favorites.

I think I like TMP anyhow. I start it and and its ok, I watch like 45 min, then randomly wake up during the part where they land on vger and figure out the voyager thing and its like whoa cool

TMP is pretty good because you can just zone out for the 75% of the movie that's just Enterprise moving through V'Ger. It might even be better with drugs, but I like it just fine sober.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
TMP has the crew assemble in a big cargo bay a third of the way through the movie so they can watch clips of the first third of the movie on a big screen ugh. I can't be bothered with it, I liked the bit with the Spock replacement getting turned inside out but all the slooooow majestic shots of the Enterprise and the intense chemistry between the bald wifie and the man leaves me cold. Plus he's a paedophile in 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cthulu Carl posted:

It might even be better with drugs

Can confirm

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Figaro posted:

Plus he's a paedophile in 2016

Yeah my dad was not happy to learn that about his college classmate.

Actually it's funny I just realized both my parents went to college with Star Trek actors.

I hope we don't learn anything bad about Avery Brooks (besides that he's kind of crazy).

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

They tried to mix the art and wonder if 2001 A Space Odyssey with the fun of Star Wars. It didn't quite work. Also, Paramount rushed release and a lot of sfx the could've been tightened and were too long or unfinished.

TMP is most 'Trek' of the films but people want to see action/adventure at the theater not space probes trying to evolve into higher life forms. TMP would be a complete disaster without Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack. I don't think there's another movie outside of musicals that depend on music this much except maybe 2001.

Slow down the part where Spock mind melds with giant Illia and it basically spoils the VGer reveal.

There's a scene where Spock nerve pinches a crew member. Didn't have to, could've pulled rank on the guy but they just had give the fans their fan service.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 12, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah my dad was not happy to learn that about his college classmate.

I read somewhere how Seventh Heaven and Cosby Show actors stopped getting royalties because no one will air those shows anymore. Not as bad as being violated by a beloved tv institution, but a lot of actors were put in difficult financial circumstances because their tv fathers do horrible things to people.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 22, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Figaro posted:

TMP has the crew assemble in a big cargo bay a third of the way through the movie so they can watch clips of the first third of the movie on a big screen ugh. I can't be bothered with it, I liked the bit with the Spock replacement getting turned inside out but all the slooooow majestic shots of the Enterprise and the intense chemistry between the bald wifie and the man leaves me cold. Plus he's a paedophile in 2016

Wait, who is? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, who is? :stare:

I think I just figured it out. The blonde dude that transcends humanity in the TMP, the Enterprise's captain actually, is the guy from 7th heaven who turned out to be a pedo