Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Without giving away everything that will be aired on Sunday's episode Paulie and Corey literally spent today saying she's an evil feminist and that's the same as being a racist.

:cripes:

We've officially hit season 15 levels of awfulness at this point, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Arcanen posted:

we've breached it and this is a season thats in contention to displace 9 as the worst ever

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
Poor Bridgette, gone too soon. She was too anime for this for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfXq_tXKvXA

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Arcanen posted:

In a word, yes. Assuming they show it. If they water it down, it is because his family, who has already been defending him online, asked them to, which is bullshit, because his actions were enough to cause a bit of a stir on twitter, and that was just feed viewers watching some late night poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, BB18 is definitely to misogyny what BB15 was to racism.

Paulie is way more Amanda than Derrick.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

JOHN CENA posted:

we've breached it and this is a season thats in contention to displace 9 as the worst ever

Could anyone provide some background on what made Season 9 awful? I did some brief research and it looks like early on a Houseguest who would go on to win and use that money to start a drug ring had also made negative remarks about people with autism, and that there was also a really lovely gimmick question in an HOH comp. I'm wondering if there was any other major controversy I'm missing that made it the worst season, or if it was just unwatchably boring.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Could anyone provide some background on what made Season 9 awful? I did some brief research and it looks like early on a Houseguest who would go on to win and use that money to start a drug ring had also made negative remarks about people with autism, and that there was also a really lovely gimmick question in an HOH comp. I'm wondering if there was any other major controversy I'm missing that made it the worst season, or if it was just unwatchably boring.

I am one of the people who feel 15 was truly worse than 9 in terms of people. 9 was a train wreck, and two of its contestants went on to get arrested for trafficking cocaine, but the behavior in the house was a fraction of what happened on 15. Literally every bad thing that happened in the house in 9 happened in 15 but more often and worse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All I remember about BB9 was that guy who was ranting at one HG that she should kill herself like her father did, the Boston douchebag who was slutshaming the crazy girl, and Chelseia throwing a temper tantrum when she got nominated.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

All I remember about BB9 was that guy who was ranting at one HG that she should kill herself like her father did, the Boston douchebag who was slutshaming the crazy girl, and Chelseia throwing a temper tantrum when she got nominated.

I forgot about that first one.

But my point remains, the things that happened were similar to things that happened in 15, and 15 just had more awfulness in general.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

There's definitely a chance. There's got to be some reason for that episode and I think the math says that if they want a second Double Eviction someone has to come back in.

Weirdly, the math says that they need at least one more person to come back to even justify this last Double if they stick with the usual endgame schedule.

Season 17 had 17 total houseguests + a buyback, and 2 Doubles
Season 16 had 16 houseguests + a buyback + the reset, and 2 Doubles
Season 15 had 16 houseguests + a buyback, and 2 Doubles, but was one week shorter than 16, 17 and 18.

Season 18 really only has 15 houseguests since Glenn wasn't eliminated so early. With only one buyback, they can't afford any doubles (unless there is a reset, a change to the endgame schedule, or some other twist).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ToastyPotato posted:

I forgot about that first one.

But my point remains, the things that happened were similar to things that happened in 15, and 15 just had more awfulness in general.

Yeah, I wasn't watching BB9 live so all I have is the show and a few clips. I can't compare it, but it obvious was a toxic atmosphere of assholes. And that suicide thing was beyond the pale.

I saw BB15 feeds and BB18 feeds so all I can really do is say they have the same sort of toxic atmosphere and bullying behavior. BB15 was a racist woman and a crazy woman doing it and BB18 is a misogynist psycho.

And comparatively BB16 and 17 were actually largely decent people who were able to play the game without being vile.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ToastyPotato posted:

In a word, yes. Assuming they show it. If they water it down, it is because his family, who has already been defending him online, asked them to, which is bullshit, because his actions were enough to cause a bit of a stir on twitter, and that was just feed viewers watching some late night poo poo.

CBS gives not gently caress about his family especially given how much the catladies that blog about BB are hating Paulie. They have another season starting in a little more then a month and they need their good will.

If they don't crush them (everyone beyond James and Nat) then something is wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone worried they wouldn't drag Frank because he was a production favorite and they did.
Everyone worried they wouldn't show Frankie at his worse and they eventually did.
Everyone worried they wouldn't show Amanda's nastiness and they eventually did.

This is the age of social media. They can give people like Nicole cozy edits for some low key nastiness but if the fanbase gets excited and angry about something its going to get addressed on TV, at least as much as they can within TV-PG limits*. BB knows they can't anger their hardcore audience just to protect some random reality show star who is already hated by the most passionate part of the fanbase.

Julie flat out apologized at the start of the show that they weren't showing it and promised at the end to show it on Sunday. That was basically her saying "Dear online fans, don't hate us. We just didn't have the time. We'll show it."

Big Brother is a social media driven show now and that genie isn't going back in the bottle. They even seem to be testing embracing it with this online season thing.

*Baring in mind, they won't show EVERYTHING that happened because they just can't. But I have faith they'll give us a good taste like with the Frank stuff. And that's coming from me who has been heavily critical of the way they've covered up the general toxic nature of this cast. But they can do that, its much harder to ignore or white wash an incident like last night.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
They could show most of it (you do watch the feeds more then I do).

They just have to end the segment with Nat's moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lets talk for a moment about what a terribly planned out Twist the Care Package is.

Lets ignore that it was introduced half way through the game after many of the people who the crowd could have been sympathetic to were already gone or were too marginalized to affect things.

Lets ignore that the voting cycle means that the majority of votes can go to the person evicted (Bridgette) meaning that the person who wins could be a complete curveball who had a plurality of voters. The more popular the evicted leader is, the less votes the second options would need.

Lets ignore that the first vote was 1 day almost guaranteeing that the most popular player would get the least useful power.

Lets ignore that the very nature of incrementally powerful powers means that the most popular HGs will get the weakest powers and the most powerful powers will go to compromised options.

There's five people eligible for tomorrow's Care Package. Lets say for the sake of argument that whoever wins it stays in the house next week (lets say Michelle) and one of the other four gets evicted (lets say Nicole). That would mean there'd be 3 options (Paul, Paulie, Corey) for the 4th Care Package. Now lets say for the sake of argument that the same thing happens. The winner (Paul) stays and one of the other two (Corey) gets evicted.

That would mean Paulie would win the most powerful (theoretically) power by simple default.

This is a really dumb twist, even by dumb BB twist standards.

I actually like the basic idea of it, but it has to be there much earlier in the game and they need to re-evaluate the scheduling and/or "can only win once" rule.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's pretty much single-handedly ruined by the one win per HG rule. At the very least, they could have just had a "cooldown" rule where a HG can't win back to back powers.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think a good way to fix the idea for future seasons and also solve the need-a-Sunday-comp problem is have a Sunday comp where the top 2 or 3 finishers in that comp are "nominated" for America's Care Package and the audience votes from Sunday night to, say, Tuesday night in the house.

The only reason the one-per-houseguest rule is in place it to prevent the same person from winning it every single week like the MVP. Tying the voting options to a comp prevents that, unless the most popular player can win that comp finish in the top 2-3 in that comp every single week. Limiting the number of options in the vote also prevents a fanbase from inadvertently splitting their vote across multiple people and letting someone win a package with like 15% of the total vote (something I fear may happen this week).

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Well gently caress, that DE didn't go well at all.

Also, I knew Nat Nat getting that early No Slop Pass was a huge mistake.
Now James and Nat Nat are out for the rest.
Only people left are douchebags, Nicole and Meech who is a piece of work in her own right.
Nicole deserves jack loving poo poo for how she's playing humping this season.

This is exactly why America should never be in charge of voting on dumb teevee shows.

There's a reason the original format of BB was only done once in the States.
It's another that America's Player was only tried once.
We cannot be trusted.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The whole thing seems set up to keep Paulie around tbh

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

The whole thing seems set up to keep Paulie around tbh
I'm not buying that.
It just how random chance and clown shoes pan out.
We'll see how the Sunday edit goes.

There is no way he gets out of this with a squeaky clean edit... not with Meech's speeches during DE.
It cannot be ignored, it's the elephant in the room.
What sucks is the DE actually became a hinderance to the full exposure of Paulie's dickishness to the casual viewer.
They are still in the dark because DE episodes have to fit a tight schedule.
The full story is to be delayed but it's not going to be glossed entirely.

It just can't.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Lets ignore that the very nature of incrementally powerful powers means that the most popular HGs will get the weakest powers and the most powerful powers will go to compromised options.

I can't ignore this, it really bothers me too much.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I think a good way to fix the idea for future seasons and also solve the need-a-Sunday-comp problem is have a Sunday comp where the top 2 or 3 finishers in that comp are "nominated" for America's Care Package and the audience votes from Sunday night to, say, Tuesday night in the house.

The only reason the one-per-houseguest rule is in place it to prevent the same person from winning it every single week like the MVP. Tying the voting options to a comp prevents that, unless the most popular player can win that comp finish in the top 2-3 in that comp every single week. Limiting the number of options in the vote also prevents a fanbase from inadvertently splitting their vote across multiple people and letting someone win a package with like 15% of the total vote (something I fear may happen this week).

Comp monsters like Paulie would constantly be in the running. That is WORSE than the current situation, for the viewers, even if it is more "fair" for the players.

Eb
May 6, 2003
I think the episode turned out pretty well, would rather have seen Natalie or Michelle gone than Bridgette but what can you do. At least some more people are realizing they are playing a game now. Should be pretty interesting how stuff plays out from here. Paulie looked pretty shellshocked the whole episode.

ToastyPotato posted:

Well, wearing a sombrero is enough to cause a stir on Twitter, and while he's probably a bit of a tool I'm sure most of the Paulie stuff is the same overexaggerated fake outrage stuff you'd normally see there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eb posted:

I think the episode turned out pretty well, would rather have seen Natalie or Michelle gone than Bridgette but what can you do. At least some more people are realizing they are playing a game now. Should be pretty interesting how stuff plays out from here. Paulie looked pretty shellshocked the whole episode.

Well, wearing a sombrero is enough to cause a stir on Twitter, and while he's probably a bit of a tool I'm sure most of the Paulie stuff is the same overexaggerated fake outrage stuff you'd normally see there.

There is nothing over-exagerrated about the reaction to how he's behaved the past few days, unless you subscribe to the "lol everyone is so sensitive why can't people just be hateful assholes like the good ole days without someone crying about" way of thinking, in which case, Paulie would probably love to have a beer with you.

Eb
May 6, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

There is nothing over-exagerrated about the reaction to how he's behaved the past few days, unless you subscribe to the "lol everyone is so sensitive why can't people just be hateful assholes like the good ole days without someone crying about" way of thinking, in which case, Paulie would probably love to have a beer with you.

Nah, just looked it up and from what I've seen it's the usual minor stuff that causes Twitter outrage. Like he and Natalie were in a group and had a relatively calm argument about Zakiyah and then he said Natalie had fake tits? That's literally nothing, especially compared to whatever apparently went on earlier in the season. Of course inside the house it helps their game to milk it for what it's worth, which is great, it's just the constant whining like it's the end of the world whenever someone expresses a dumb opinion I find annoying.

Edit: I guess those are technically spoilers I dunno

Eb fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 12, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well then check out the spoilers thread to see a picture of your boy using up all the feminine pads and tampons in the house to spell a message on the shower wall. That's not a spoiler because they wouldn't show it on tv, but yeah, he's great.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't want to put a wall of spoiler black text in here but I'll just say, it was definitely more than a "relatively calm" argument. It wasn't the worst thing in BB history or anything, but it was bad enough that literally EVERY PERSON in the house besides the guilty party said something about it and Julie felt the need to placate the audience that it would get shown.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Eltoasto posted:

Well then check out the spoilers thread to see a picture of your boy using up all the feminine pads and tampons in the house to spell a message on the shower wall. That's not a spoiler because they wouldn't show it on tv, but yeah, he's great.

poo poo, I read the spoilers thread and have not even seen that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Snowmankilla posted:

Happened very recently I think. But yeah, I doubt it gets shown for reasons that are dumb. They are definitely going to ply Paulie up as a villain going forward, since he keeps digging a deeper hole. It's funny because if he'd have calmed down by DE night, he might have gotten away relatively unscathed. But he's really making it unavoidable now.

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!

STAC Goat posted:

mple default.

This is a really dumb twist, even by dumb BB twist standards.

For this very reason, I would like next season's big twist to be that it's a season of Big Brother Classic, keep the POV, (I think that actually really helped the game move forward) but other than that, just the classic rules.

Also - can we come up with some catch phrases/words that trigger the houseguest being a have-not for a week? I'm so sick of hearing "blew up xxx game" and "backdoor[ed]"

And around here (my living room) we make it a drinking game - whenever BB shows that ridiculous shot of one of their cameras. Yes, WE GET IT, there are cameras in the house!

That is all.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Snowmankilla posted:

It only happened this morning, it's super classy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Someone post the image of him peeing in the Jacuzzi and the yellow cloud which forms.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Scrodes posted:

For this very reason, I would like next season's big twist to be that it's a season of Big Brother Classic, keep the POV, (I think that actually really helped the game move forward) but other than that, just the classic rules.

Also - can we come up with some catch phrases/words that trigger the houseguest being a have-not for a week? I'm so sick of hearing "blew up xxx game" and "backdoor[ed]"

And around here (my living room) we make it a drinking game - whenever BB shows that ridiculous shot of one of their cameras. Yes, WE GET IT, there are cameras in the house!

That is all.

Lol they're gonna be so desperate for people to buy All Access that they'll throw every awful gimmick possible in

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Teek posted:

Someone post the image of him peeing in the Jacuzzi and the yellow cloud which forms.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It's vacation rules

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also like that gif because it shows the rounding face and the disappearance of his abs.

I wouldn't normally mock someone for gaining weight in the house but its just funny considering he literally did a POV Ceremony in his underwear.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dunno if it has anything to do with anything, but my bartender here where i work mentioned she was a casting alternate for BB in 2013 (thats season 15.) i asked her some about it, she talked about her casting process which was similar to my own, mentioned she wasnt familiar with the show at all, just applied to it because she was applying to everything then, and made it all the way to the end and even started doing some interviews when she was told she got the alternate spot. She's a blonde mid 20s girl from central texas. why does this matter?

because she would have played instead of aaryn.

life is hell

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Teek posted:

For everyone bailing on this season, I would encourage you guys to watch the next two episodes at least...

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Eltoasto posted:

I don't watch the live feeds and this isn't a comment on whatever is going on with Paulie generally, but this doesn't sound all that terrible.

Using up all the tampons and pads just means that big brother will give the women more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Orange Sunshine posted:

I don't watch the live feeds and this isn't a comment on whatever is going on with Paulie generally, but this doesn't sound all that terrible.

Using up all the tampons and pads just means that big brother will give the women more.

I think this loses something without the context of the past few days events, but it was done out of bitterness, anger, and spite. If James had spelled out "Nat Nat" with the pads as a fun prank, that wouldn't really be bad. It'd be inconvenient, but as long as they got replaced quickly it wouldn't be a deal. What Paulie did was not that kind of a thing.

• Locked thread