Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Nuebot posted:

So I decided to finally try PVP :negative: half an hour queue.

Frontlines is a wonderful and, for the match itself, fast way of getting tomestones. It's also a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, a short while after seal rock was introduced, the surge of participation it caused just bottomed out and the queue times tanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
"if that lustrate had hit for 140 more hp we would've survived uplander doom! when the bards tell the tale of our last stand our deaths will be on your head, you feckless thug"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQo8BxrLSc0

There's something funny about Y'shtola summoning Ifrit.

It's a shame they made her look so boring, just casting Stone 1 and Aero 3. Makes me want a proper FF14 fighting game with Merlwyb, Raubahn and co.

(Yes, I've seen that video.)

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
For those who haven't seen the video Lemon-Lime is referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuELXU0OEs4

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's a shame they made her look so boring, just casting Stone 1 and Aero 3. Makes me want a proper FF14 fighting game with Merlwyb, Raubahn and co.

(Yes, I've seen that video.)

Like her abilities looking boring or herself looking boring? This same version of the dissidia game introduced new outfits for each character and Yshtola got the HW outfit which is a million times better than her default.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Her abilities and the way she plays, as indicated by the fact that I was complaining about Stone 1 and Aero 3. :v: Her HW outfit is good.

I'm also not a fan of her Japanese voice.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

DarkstarIV posted:

Always wondered if the choppy frame rate was because there pushing their graphics engine to the very limit somehow

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I finally got into a shiva extreme group. The guys in the party finder spend ten or more minutes just bitching about new players and kicking anyone who admits to being new, refusing to explain mechanics. Then promptly wipe every time because they, themselves, were abysmal at the fight. Then they abandoned after three wipes. I don't think I like this game very much anymore.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nuebot posted:

So I finally got into a shiva extreme group. The guys in the party finder spend ten or more minutes just bitching about new players and kicking anyone who admits to being new, refusing to explain mechanics. Then promptly wipe every time because they, themselves, were abysmal at the fight. Then they abandoned after three wipes. I don't think I like this game very much anymore.

Are you on Excal? Run with goons when you need to learn stuff. I'm down for some ex primals tonight :D

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

Of course Minfilia does nothing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
General attitude in the PF is that if the party does not explicitly invite new players, they are unwanted. Generally that's because the DF is for a first clear and the PF is for farming. That's not to say you can't use the Party Finder to make a first clear group. A lot of people do. You just have to be upfront about that. I'm just speaking as someone who has done many primal farm sessions and I've been the person rolling their eyes when they see bonus. I don't just kick them immediately because I feel like that's rude, but I don't blame those who do. You are totally justified in laughing at those guys after wiping though. I remember that's how my T9 experience went.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Nuebot posted:

it's a pretty common mmo trope to have some dude be super overbearing about stuff and then actually be garbage at it.

also wiping on shiva after being dicks about player skill lmao

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Generally that's because the DF is for a first clear and the PF is for farming. .

I always thought doing this the other way around would make more sense, but I can't really articulate why.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Chucat posted:

I always thought doing this the other way around would make more sense, but I can't really articulate why.

Because nothing but the good faith of players is stopping new players from jumping in DF and mooching a carry, and ruining trust in DF.

Coincidentally on japanese datacenters the other way around is the norm, anything up to and including thordan is a consistent farm. Sep is still 50/50.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nuebot posted:

Party Finder

select Shiva Ex

magic words are "first time clear, poetics bonus"

and hope there are people doing relics on your server

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

This just happened to me earlier today and I wanted to share the glory and joy of this monk with you all.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
In before FFXIultimateboost.jpg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ignimbrite posted:

In before FFXIultimateboost.jpg

Seek and ye shall find

e: actually this isn't even the gigantic one that I remember, come to think of it

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2016

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I have a massive compulsion to reach through my screen and slap people who do this. It doesn't help that I'm trying to sell my own HQ fibers! :livintrope:

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 12, 2016

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Chucat posted:

That's how I thought it worked. Never had an easy time learning dungeons and bosses in the duty finder.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SL the Pyro posted:

I have a massive compulsion to reach through my screen and slap people who do this. It doesn't help that I'm trying to sell my own HQ fibers! :livintrope:
Buy them! Buy them and sell them as your own at a significant markup :getin:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well, finally got Raiten and ironically my Paladin is almost at the same level now because dungeons level up faster than 3 hours of story content apparently.

Any ninja users on controller tips? Should I be replacing Dancing Edge over Aerolia Edge in my rotation?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
speaking of first time bonuses I got six other goons together last night for bismarck hard and beyond there being some confusion about the snakes being in hard it went relatively straightforward, and people routinely jump into old content for bonuses, just ask in fc chat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Tae posted:

Well, finally got Raiten and ironically my Paladin is almost at the same level now because dungeons level up faster than 3 hours of story content apparently.

Any ninja users on controller tips? Should I be replacing Dancing Edge over Aerolia Edge in my rotation?

Definitely not. For me, I have both on the R2 + Face buttons side. You want to use Dancing Edge to apply the debuff and then use Aeolian Edge the next time around. You'll get a third sign for mudras later on. You're gonna just want to put all of them plus the actual Mudra button on one cross. For me it's L2 + Face buttons. Because essentially, the Spinning Edge -> Gust Slash -> _______ is your B&B. You drop the ninja moves in when they're up and then go back to the B&B. Can you post a picture of what you're rocking with right now?

Chucat posted:

I can kinda see that it would make sense for people who know what they're doing to be able to drop in and go vs people who need help needing to make a party specifically for that.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Buy them! Buy them and sell them as your own at a significant markup :getin:
I wish that were an option, but the single HQ fibers are barely 20k more (which is partly why I'm mad), and at the current rate they're selling I'd slow down my profits by a week or two. :smith: All I can do is hope players don't stupidly think that giant stack is the new average price.

Also I am not buying three million gil-worth of fibers when I can make them myself.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 12, 2016

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seek and ye shall find

e: actually this isn't even the gigantic one that I remember, come to think of it

yeah the gigantic one required party participation.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

General attitude in the PF is that if the party does not explicitly invite new players, they are unwanted. Generally that's because the DF is for a first clear and the PF is for farming.

I think you mean "DF is for wiping until vote abandon passes and PF is for wiping and leaving because there's a tome bonus in the farm party".

Oddly enough, as I understand it the Japanese datacenters use PF for practicing and DF is serioustime, as opposed to over here where the DF is a complete trash fire and the PF is "there is potential that not everyone will gently caress up constantly".

Tae posted:

If you're soloing you should use Dancing Edge instead of Aeolian all the time, but if you're in a party (i.e. you can hit the mob in the butt) you want to use Dancing to just apply the debuff and use Aeolian otherwise.
Giving NINs positionals was terrible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SonicRulez posted:

Can you post a picture of what you're rocking with right now?

I really don't feel like the sneak attack combo is worth dedicating buttons at my stage of the game. Too tedious to open every other encounter.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Hey I really shouldn't have to say this, but please don't be racist in PBC. Even as a joke (especially as a joke), it's not very cool.

thanks

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
please do not hate on potatoes and catgirls

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Tae posted:

I really don't feel like the sneak attack combo is worth dedicating buttons at my stage of the game. Too tedious to open every other encounter.

I liked using Sneak Attack for soloing Boss FATES. Other than that, it's totally fine not to bother. I'd swap Return for Mug since it's got the cooldown and then put Dancing Edge in its place. I like having all my combos on the same cross. My AE and DE are flipped, but that doesn't matter. I can't think any of time you will need Return/Teleport on a hotbar.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Newbie permagroup blind dungeon trip report time! Tonight we did Cutter's Cry for the first time.

Our regular tank is out of town, so I filled in with my Paladin, and our backup healer We were all level 38, the bare minimum for the dungeon.

Party composition: PLD (me), SCH, BLM, MNK

We're still not sure what the deal is with the quicksand pools in the first few rooms. Can you just jump in anytime, or do you have to kill trash first? We kept seeing the message "A chill runs down your spine" or something and had no idea what that meant. We cleared all the trash to be safe. On the up side, every single treasure coffer we found had an upgrade for someone.

Myrmidon Princess: Not really anything to learn on this one. I tanked her in the center, and we killed the adds when they spawned. Real easy fight, won on the first try.

Giant Tunnel Worm: The big whirlpool attack thing caught us by surprise, and we wiped to that. Then our healer kept getting caught by the underground sand bursts. I think this took us four tries total. Once we had it figured out, it was no big deal.

Chimera: This guy's a fucker if you don't know what to expect.
Attempt #1: Oh, that's what the "blue eyes" thing means.
Attempt #2: Oh, that's what the "violet eyes" thing means.
Attempt #3: Oh, that's what the "focus" thing means.
Attempt #4: Putting all of this together is kind of tricky. We lost a couple of people who were kiting the lightning thingie and didn't avoid the AoE's.
Attempt #5: Things were going very well, had the boss down to about 20% when the Black Mage ate a violet AoE. Down to 8%, and the Scholar died -- didn't see what got him. Just me and the Monk left. I popped a potion and all of my cooldowns and we went crazy on the boss. Killed him just as my health dropped below 100. Hey, I'll take any win!

Overall, we had fun but didn't find this dungeon very interesting compared to Sunken Temple or Haukke Manor. The environment and trash mobs are boring. The Chimera fight is kind of exciting, I guess.

We all have Stone Vigil unlocked and are high enough level on our primary classes, so we're hoping to get in there this weekend.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'A chill run downs your spine' is basically alerting you to the wave of bugs that spawn after you kill everything in your room. The quicksand pools spawn after you kill them.

One option to do the Princess, if your healer is good enough, is to just ignore the adds while the healer kites the adds around the room (and throws a Regen or something on the tank every once in a while).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Newbie permagroup blind dungeon trip report time! Tonight we did Cutter's Cry for the first time.

Our regular tank is out of town, so I filled in with my Paladin, and our backup healer We were all level 38, the bare minimum for the dungeon.

Party composition: PLD (me), SCH, BLM, MNK

We're still not sure what the deal is with the quicksand pools in the first few rooms. Can you just jump in anytime, or do you have to kill trash first? We kept seeing the message "A chill runs down your spine" or something and had no idea what that meant. We cleared all the trash to be safe. On the up side, every single treasure coffer we found had an upgrade for someone.

Myrmidon Princess: Not really anything to learn on this one. I tanked her in the center, and we killed the adds when they spawned. Real easy fight, won on the first try.

Giant Tunnel Worm: The big whirlpool attack thing caught us by surprise, and we wiped to that. Then our healer kept getting caught by the underground sand bursts. I think this took us four tries total. Once we had it figured out, it was no big deal.

Chimera: This guy's a fucker if you don't know what to expect.
Attempt #1: Oh, that's what the "blue eyes" thing means.
Attempt #2: Oh, that's what the "violet eyes" thing means.
Attempt #3: Oh, that's what the "focus" thing means.
Attempt #4: Putting all of this together is kind of tricky. We lost a couple of people who were kiting the lightning thingie and didn't avoid the AoE's.
Attempt #5: Things were going very well, had the boss down to about 20% when the Black Mage ate a violet AoE. Down to 8%, and the Scholar died -- didn't see what got him. Just me and the Monk left. I popped a potion and all of my cooldowns and we went crazy on the boss. Killed him just as my health dropped below 100. Hey, I'll take any win!

Overall, we had fun but didn't find this dungeon very interesting compared to Sunken Temple or Haukke Manor. The environment and trash mobs are boring. The Chimera fight is kind of exciting, I guess.

We all have Stone Vigil unlocked and are high enough level on our primary classes, so we're hoping to get in there this weekend.

this is really enjoyable and makes me sad I pretty much play this game alone besides picking up fc members for first time bonuses

:smith:

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 12, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Tae posted:

what's that side bar and how do you access it on a controller?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ApplesandOranges posted:

'A chill run downs your spine' is basically alerting you to the wave of bugs that spawn after you kill everything in your room. The quicksand pools spawn after you kill them
Never even noticed that was happening. We just killed any trash we saw.

quote:

One option to do the Princess, if your healer is good enough, is to just ignore the adds while the healer kites the adds around the room (and throws a Regen or something on the tank every once in a while).
Other than the Marshal, the adds seemed really weak. We saw a laser beam thing going from the Marshal to the Princess so we focused him down quick, and then I think our BLM just AoE'd the rest while I flashed them off of him.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WhiteHowler posted:

Never even noticed that was happening. We just killed any trash we saw.
The first few rooms have the objective "clear the room" - the chill message is that the second half of the mobs have spawned. The stuff after the first boss you can ignore the trash completely and go down the quicksand, it's a quick prompt so you can even manage it if they're actively beating on you (no chill messages there) - that's why you saw them!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WhiteHowler posted:

That's because Cutter's Cry sucks. It's also a 1.0 dungeon remake, not that that status guarantees a bad dungeon, but well..

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's because Cutter's Cry sucks. It's also a 1.0 dungeon remake, not that that status guarantees a bad dungeon, but well..
And yet Toto-rak, Cutter's Cry, and Aurum Vale are some of the worst dungeons in the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQo8BxrLSc0

There's something funny about Y'shtola summoning Ifrit.

Why isn't 'shtola standing in a corner with 99% mp casting cure whenever someone takes a hit?

• Locked thread