Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I wasn't too into just how over the top Junko is, right out of the gate, but whatever. That's the only real exposure of her that the games really depicted, so it's not really surprising. I don't know if she was just casually dropping grenades and bombs everywhere in the novels though.

One of the things I dislike about Future is how it misses what I consider to be one of the strengths of Danganronpa. The cast all typically had something to do or contribute to the conversation, even when they were wrong. If I remember correctly, Oren pointed that out back in the old LP days too. I feel like that's kind of missing here, and some characters are really fading into the background. Despair seems to generally be handling it a little bit better even with the 20 minute anime episode time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

I wasn't too into just how over the top Junko is, right out of the gate, but whatever. That's the only real exposure of her that the games really depicted, so it's not really surprising. I don't know if she was just casually dropping grenades and bombs everywhere in the novels though.

One of the things I dislike about Future is how it misses what I consider to be one of the strengths of Danganronpa. The cast all typically had something to do or contribute to the conversation, even when they were wrong. If I remember correctly, Oren pointed that out back in the old LP days too. I feel like that's kind of missing here, and some characters are really fading into the background. Despair seems to generally be handling it a little bit better even with the 20 minute anime episode time limit.

Hagakure never had anything to contribute to anything and you goddamn know it.

(I get what you mean though, I'm enjoying both but Despair seems like the stronger of the two right now)

EDIT: I do like how both are linked though, it gives the new Future guys a bit more depth since we're learning about them in Despair. I can't say if it's successful or not till the end but it's an interesting experiment.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 12, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CrashScreen posted:

There's also the part where Naegi isn't even interacting with half the cast. The Seiko/Ruruka/Yoi subplot is happening pretty much independently. Which is good because they can't have Naegi talking to everyone like they did in the games, but I mean Seiko's tragedy is that she couldn't even talk to people who would have been her friends (Naegi and Asahina) and stop her from her rampage.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Apparently there was a preview for the english dub and Kuzuryuu's voice is not good.

Komaeda's neither.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 12, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

If Side:Future was a video game, it's probably be an Action game or even a short Fighting game with story bits in between each fight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kay Kessler posted:

Apparently there was a preview for the english dub and Kuzuryuu's voice is not good.

Komaeda's neither.

a shame they can't get the dub game cast

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

If Side:Future was a video game, it's probably be an Action game or even a short Fighting game with story bits in between each fight.

"Um, I don't think we should murder each-other"

~RULES OF NATURE!~

"Let's all be friends instead"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

voltcatfish posted:

are you saying that bryce papenbrook isn't nagito komaeda

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Apparently Tanaka is played by Kaiserneko from TFS. :psyduck:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Yinlock posted:

Hagakure never had anything to contribute to anything and you goddamn know it.

He helped with figuring out Mukuro's death time. Also he has the coolest hope line.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

im gonna watch the dub

e: it is very weird to hear this dub using "Super High School Level"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kay Kessler posted:

Apparently Tanaka is played by Kaiserneko from TFS. :psyduck:

It's gonna be loving awful

voltcatfish posted:

They got some people from the first game's dub cast for this show and they are casting them as Future Foundation characters

The DR1 characters will keep their Funi VAs except Makoto who's always been Pappenbrook ditto Nagito since Pappenbrook is there and some characters from DR2 got their game vas back

Just as an FYI the DR1 anime dub is one of the worst anime dubs I've heard in a while and part of that is that they aren't the game vas

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Baal posted:

The DR1 characters will keep their Funi VAs except Makoto who's always been Pappenbrook ditto Nagito since Pappenbrook is there and some characters from DR2 got their game vas back

Except Pappenbrook seems to be in the same situation JYB was in the Persona 4 anime where he has to use a different voice fro Komaeda. And just like in Persona, the new voice sucks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He already used a different voice for Komaeda though. Wait is the dub out now?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Baal posted:

He already used a different voice for Komaeda though. Wait is the dub out now?

yeah Episode 1 of both Future and Despair exist dubbed, I think it's only on the Funimation Subscription Stream Service

e: I'm very forgiving of dubs but wow dub Chisa is real bad and thats not good for such an important character

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 12, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm ok with it I guess. Dub Nanami and Komaeda are the same as the game, what more could I want. I think they recasted Ibuki tho rip

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The game Tanaka's dub voice was amazing so being a diferent person now feels me with despair.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, this is a really bad replacement for Chris Tergliefera, rip Kaiser.

voltcatfish posted:

I'm ok with it I guess. Dub Nanami and Komaeda are the same as the game, what more could I want. I think they recasted Ibuki tho rip

They did, but idk this is one of the alright recasts tbh

EDIT: Nagito sounds just like he did in DR2, idk what's up with Hanamura's voice tho. It sounds like he's slipping into his cajun accent randomly which sounds bad. Kuzuryu sounds bad after his game voice, that voice was pretty much perfect.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The fact they are not following the terms set by the localized games is also very odd.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hope's Beak Academy, the school for exceptional birds.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Mukuro is cute. Too bad she smells.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In the first game when he becomes Ultimate Hope his profile card says Ultimate Despair. People thought it was a bug but maybe :tinfoil:

You know, it would be the most despair-inducing thing if the main representative of Hope ended up being a turncoat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Butt Ghost posted:

She probably smells like Hope.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm somewhat surprised there isn't crossover fan art with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if they'll condense DR0 into an episode. Probably not, but Yuuto showed up. I feel like the cast might be present, at least.

Maybe Chihiro, Chiaki, and Matsuda will all meet up.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Was it ever confirmed that it was actually Junko that Tsumiki was in love with? Perhaps is was Imposter instead?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yinlock posted:

EDIT: I do like how both are linked though, it gives the new Future guys a bit more depth since we're learning about them in Despair. I can't say if it's successful or not till the end but it's an interesting experiment.

The linked aspect is probably the coolest part. It reminds me a little of stuff like 20th Century Boys with how it weaves the past and present, though not as good.

Kay Kessler posted:

Was it ever confirmed that it was actually Junko that Tsumiki was in love with? Perhaps is was Imposter instead?

I could swear that it was meant to be Izuru?

e: My memory is clearly really bad.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 13, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if they'll condense DR0 into an episode. Probably not, but Yuuto showed up. I feel like the cast might be present, at least.

Maybe Chihiro, Chiaki, and Matsuda will all meet up.

I can't see DR0 not being covered if they seriously covered Twilight Syndrome.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

That gets mentioned in the game mostly to foreshadow Junko so I think its safe to assume its her.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

It's interesting that through all of Junko's personalities and insanity the only constant besides DESPAIR is that she's also a total narcissist.

She just shits on her sister non-stop whenever Mukuro gets brought up in any way, even if the person she's talking to is Mukuro. Having an "inferior" twin like legit bugs her, though DESPAIR so I guess it works out for her.

EDIT: I think we'll at least get a Ryoko cameo, Zero-wise. I mean this little turd got a shot in the background so anything goes.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 13, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Kay Kessler posted:

She said that the person was dead. Unless she was talking about Mukuro (unlikely), I'd say she meant Junko.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yeah pretty sure it's Junko, also the way this episode was framed with Mikan talking about being a upperclassman to the new students and her being the first one to discover the Imposter secret makes me think she will be involved with the Imposter's fall to despair because when she meets Junko she will totally reveal the Imposter secret to Junko and she will use that to make the Imposter into Despair.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spike Chunsoft have been sassy as gently caress lately.

EDIT: like extremely so

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 13, 2016

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Monokuma is real and he runs Spike Chunsoft's social media

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yinlock posted:

Amazing

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yinlock posted:

If there's any show that warrants being sassy like this, it's definitely Danganronpa. It's actually kind of great seeing them have fun like this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact they are not following the terms set by the localized games is also very odd.

I approve of this

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

MonsterEnvy posted:

Former Ultimate sounds like they lost their skills. Former SHSL sounds like they grew up, debatable on mental growth for some.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Considering two of those are from the arc he is currently in, I'm thinking they're just loving with us or something

• Locked thread