Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

my sons (9 and 11)

Pretty insensitive to name them that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Joshmo posted:

Probably half my characters are women in WoW, and while leveling one, there was a particularly memorable moment when a guy also playing as women starts flirting with me, so I played along because Violet Citadel is boring and I'm not retarded, but then he whispered me (to take things further, I guess?) and was disappointed that I'm not actually a woman in real life. Like, what exactly are guys expecting here?

"Where the men are men, the women are men, the children are FBI agents and the FBI agents are children."

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My favorite thing about Gamergate was how basically every pro-GG pundit had previously dissed gamers as permavirgin basement dwelling nerds who didn't live up to the standards of masculinity set by Our Esteemed Forefathers, but then instantly did a 1-80 once they realized they could exploit said demographic for attacks on political enemies and money.

Matt Forney had to wipe all the stuff he'd said about starting a crusade against nerdines off the internet and internet archive, and he still didn't catch all of it https://archive.is/uWZsF

I know one or two otherwise decent people who got taken hook line and sinker by this stuff and it's exactly like seeing someone who's fallen for a MLM scheme or something, they honestly believe these people are on their side and doing something important to save video games from a weird conspiracy. These aren't people with blatant alt-right (etc) tendencies normally but they're just so politically unaware they can't see that they're being used as tools to further an agenda that really has nothing to do with the quality of video games

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Suppose_Not/status/763805633221197825
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/763815188911063040
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/763816688185901056

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

I like fun I just don't like having a bunch of little things to keep track of & my local gaming store is a tiny mall version so there aren't tables big enough for wargames.

I've never gotten weird sex comments in games, I'm more likely to receive death threats than people wanting to ERP it's kind of offputting.

Burn your lgs down and make them get a bigger store

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty insensitive to name them that way.

But now they'll Never Forget :911:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

White supremacy is not widely assumed! Only about 45% of us are Neo-Nazis! Stop it with your mad Prog lies!

d0s posted:

I know one or two otherwise decent people who got taken hook line and sinker by this stuff and it's exactly like seeing someone who's fallen for a MLM scheme or something, they honestly believe these people are on their side and doing something important to save video games from a weird conspiracy. These aren't people with blatant alt-right (etc) tendencies normally but they're just so politically unaware they can't see that they're being used as tools to further an agenda that really has nothing to do with the quality of video games

"Politics is the mind-killer" has done a number on a lot of people's ability to stop far-right politics.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

But he's only "openly gay" begrudgingly because the dirty progs at gawker pointed it out, dammit rev you can't have it both ways :argh:

Also mods please change name to Anal Dash tyia

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Odd, I generally play as female characters with gender-ambiguous usernames and I've gotten plenty of weird nerds bein' weird at me.

Seems like there's a psychology graduate thesis to be had analyzing the specific aspects of usernames or behavior or whatever it is that makes creepers gonna creep.

Insights into Sexism: Male Status and Performance Moderates Female-Directed Hostile and Amicable Behaviour

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0131613

Spoiler: Harassing women correlates strongly with sucking at a game.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

eatenmyeyes posted:

Insights into Sexism: Male Status and Performance Moderates Female-Directed Hostile and Amicable Behaviour

gently caress so if I get better at CSGO do you think I'll hear less racism as well? That'd be an interesting off shoot of that study's model

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Literally The Worst posted:

Burn your lgs down and make them get a bigger store

It's better than the one in my hometown that was selling loving yu-gi-oh cards for a hundred dollars a pop.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

It's better than the one in my hometown that was selling loving yu-gi-oh cards for a hundred dollars a pop.

That's an actual thing though and despite me hating YGO good on them for making money off it

Like, once you accept that there's a secondary market for trading cards and also that YGO is a badly designed and broken game it's p easy to accept that yes some of the best (most broken) cards are very expensive

It's basically a function of both rarity and how much it sees play

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

That's an actual thing though and despite me hating YGO good on them for making money off it

Like, once you accept that there's a secondary market for trading cards and also that YGO is a badly designed and broken game it's p easy to accept that yes some of the best (most broken) cards are very expensive

It's basically a function of both rarity and how much it sees play

No I mean they were cards that went for like 10 or 20 dollars or summat, like they were rarer but they jacked up the price like crazy because they're jerks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

No I mean they were cards that went for like 10 or 20 dollars or summat, like they were rarer but they jacked up the price like crazy because they're jerks.

Oh that's super scummy gently caress them, I thought you were just one of the many people who marvels at the existence of a secondary market for cards

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

eatenmyeyes posted:

I've gotta keep an eye out for myself then, because I suck at Warcraft. Or maybe it turns out I'm good at the game but have low self-confidence...

quote:

As higher-skilled players have less to fear from hierarchical reorganization, we argue that these males behave more positively in an attempt to support and garner a female player’s attention.
I'm good at this game, let's have sex. I feel like this is a more subtle version of the crappy player.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Are all new card games pay to win in their first few releases? Like how more powerful cards are more expensive

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Joshmo posted:

I'm good at this game, let's have sex. I feel like this is a more subtle version of the crappy player.

I think it's more akin to "I'm having a good time just playing this, so my self-worth isn't hinging on other players having a worse time than me. I have no reason to try to make anyone on this server feel bad."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Are all new card games pay to win in their first few releases? Like how more powerful cards are more expensive

the companies who make them don't set the prices on the cards, i hope this explains what i mean by secondary market

also if you think better cards get less expensive in later sets boy are you in for a surprise

edit also rarity plays into it

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

the companies who make them don't set the prices on the cards, i hope this explains what i mean by secondary market

also if you think better cards get less expensive in later sets boy are you in for a surprise

I don't really play card games so I wouldn't know

So like, by secondary market do you mean it's common practice to not print out certain cards after some point, or that they just resell cards at a lot higher prices?

Like YGO doesn't make Blue Eyes White Dragons anymore?

Edit: didn't see your edit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I don't really play card games so I wouldn't know

So like, by secondary market do you mean it's common practice to not print out certain cards after some point, or that they just resell cards at a lot higher prices?

Like YGO doesn't make Blue Eyes White Dragons anymore?

Edit: didn't see your edit

ok so i'm literally about to explain how fuckin TCGs and the secondary market work, jesus christ

let's use magic as an example, because it's the first, the oldest, and the most successful

wizards of the coast puts out a set of magic cards. let's call that set Herp. Herp goes on sale on August 12th. they print Herp for approximately 12-18 months. all the cards in set Herp that will ever exist exist at the end of that stretch of time.

people buy packs of Herp. they open those packs and get cards. some of those cards are better or more rare than others, often they are both. there is a secondary market, independent from the game's publisher (in this case wotc), in these cards. many stores will sell them for prices higher than a single booster pack. this price is based on, literally, supply and demand. if a rare card is seeing a lot of play in tournaments, its worth more money than the 18th reprinting of Giant Growth (giant growth is the card that has appeared in the most sets of magic)

the important thing to get here is publishers don't sell individual cards. it's a market driven almost entirely by the people who play the game, and demand has a huge influence on price

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ok so i'm literally about to explain how fuckin TCGs and the secondary market work, jesus christ

let's use magic as an example, because it's the first, the oldest, and the most successful

wizards of the coast puts out a set of magic cards. let's call that set Herp. Herp goes on sale on August 12th. they print Herp for approximately 12-18 months. all the cards in set Herp that will ever exist exist at the end of that stretch of time.

people buy packs of Herp. they open those packs and get cards. some of those cards are better or more rare than others, often they are both. there is a secondary market, independent from the game's publisher (in this case wotc), in these cards. many stores will sell them for prices higher than a single booster pack. this price is based on, literally, supply and demand. if a rare card is seeing a lot of play in tournaments, its worth more money than the 18th reprinting of Giant Growth (giant growth is the card that has appeared in the most sets of magic)

the important thing to get here is publishers don't sell individual cards. it's a market driven almost entirely by the people who play the game, and demand has a huge influence on price

Thank you for both changing my opinion on stein and this

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Oh that's super scummy gently caress them, I thought you were just one of the many people who marvels at the existence of a secondary market for cards

Yeah first edition mint Sliefers/Obelisks/Ras go for like twenty bucks at most online and this guy was selling each for a cold hundo.

They're not even good cards really, the dude was clearly preying on kids/teenagers who saw the anime and how loving cool they were.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah first edition mint Sliefers/Obelisks/Ras go for like twenty bucks at most online and this guy was selling each for a cold hundo.

fantastic

on the other hand

i hate ygo players with a burning passion

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yu-Gi-Oh is really bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the running joke at the shop i work at is "its not a sanctioned ygo tourney until something gets stolen"

ygo and its players are fuckin dogshit

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I played as a young teen, but never did any tournaments. I glad for it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

I played as a young teen, but never did any tournaments. I glad for it.

I went to my hometown's card shop once to their Saturday Yu Gi Oh things, and then I played one game and got creeped out by the people there so I walked 4 miles home

I thought it was weird that I was 10 and the next youngest person there was like, 15

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That's hardly unique to Yu-Gi-Oh, that's just gaming culture in general.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

That's hardly unique to Yu-Gi-Oh, that's just gaming culture in general.

turns out that the biggest demo for magic is white dudes in their mid 20s with decent jobs

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm generally on the "any games for any adults" train but I can't imagine a grown rear end man being into Yu-Gi-Oh, it's incredibly poorly designed and set up entirely to appeal to young teenagers and kids.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: Actually, don't, just talk about nerd poo poo all day

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I still find it odd that it was too creepy for me since I started to play DnD with my friends that year as well

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
"Is Seto Kaiba A NeoReactionary" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Puppy Time posted:

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: Actually, don't, just talk about nerd poo poo all day

The overlap is basically a circle.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

I'm generally on the "any games for any adults" train but I can't imagine a grown rear end man being into Yu-Gi-Oh, it's incredibly poorly designed and set up entirely to appeal to young teenagers and kids.

i've seen soem poo poo man

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, it's cool to alternate between the two, but what Naga said

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

i've seen soem poo poo man

what's the worst card game your shop sells

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
one time a dude tried telling me about how in Dark Knight Rises bane is totally friendzoned by talia and i literally told him to get out of the store

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

The Dot Hack one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

yugioh because its the worst card game with the worst players

luck and logic, a game made by bushiroad, a company that makes anime tcgs and anime and also owns New Japan Pro Wrestling and got one of their top dudes to be a character in an anime about one of their TCGs, which features anime boob girls heavily, is a way better game with a super great combat system